Author Topic: Why's Guy gone into hiding  (Read 31080 times)

violentpizza

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
Re: Why's Guy gone into hiding
« Reply #90 on: December 27, 2015, 12:09:50 PM »
THERES FOOTAGE OF TOM PENNY RIPPING IN TIMBERLANDS FOR GODS SAKE

Xtal

« Reply #91 on: December 27, 2015, 12:15:51 PM »

Lol, go skate some Timberland boots and come back and tell me how they worked out for you.

So basically, you're saying skate shoes are a gimmick and don't affect your skating? Skateboarding shoes were created by skateboarders to skate in. Not to go party on a yacht and look cool (Diamond shoes).

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 814
« Reply #92 on: December 27, 2015, 12:18:16 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Lol, go skate some Timberland boots and come back and tell me how they worked out for you.

So basically, you're saying skate shoes are a gimmick and don't affect your skating? Skateboarding shoes were created by skateboarders to skate in. Not to go party on a yacht and look cool (Diamond shoes).

i guess the irony of Vans first being made as boat shoes is lost on you. 

Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Xtal

« Reply #93 on: December 27, 2015, 12:23:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

i guess the irony of Vans first being made as boat shoes is lost on you. 

I was speaking of skate shoe companies that came out after Vans (Sole Tech, etc). Even though Vans were originally lounge/beachy surfer shoes there's a reason they were adapted by skaters and morphed into what they are today. Because they work well.

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #94 on: December 27, 2015, 12:24:28 PM »
I've seen dudes who rip harder than me do it in airspeeds, polo brand, even sketchers. Skate shoes were invented for whoever started Etnies ( first pro model skate shoe for Natas) and whoever Started Vans ( the era started as a lifestyle shoe for the surf culture, then the z-boys started rocking them) make a shitload of money and it works. They have so many of dudes worshipping 'skater owned' and getting emotionally invested in making them richer, but they don't see it cause their 'CORE BROOOO'

If you need xlk, g6 or whatever bullshit they've invented, then you are dumb and you should feel lucky that you can have these arguments when people out in the world can't afford to skate, or eat.

chuck d

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #95 on: December 27, 2015, 12:42:43 PM »
I keep opening this thread thinking I'm going to read something about Guy lol.

Xtal

« Reply #96 on: December 27, 2015, 12:47:48 PM »
I've seen dudes who rip harder than me do it in airspeeds, polo brand, even sketchers. Skate shoes were invented for whoever started Etnies ( first pro model skate shoe for Natas) and whoever Started Vans ( the era started as a lifestyle shoe for the surf culture, then the z-boys started rocking them) make a shitload of money and it works. They have so many of dudes worshipping 'skater owned' and getting emotionally invested in making them richer, but they don't see it cause their 'CORE BROOOO'

If you need xlk, g6 or whatever bullshit they've invented, then you are dumb and you should feel lucky that you can have these arguments when people out in the world can't afford to skate, or eat.

This thread isn't about whether skate shoes or non skate shoes work for skateboarding. It's been a bit derailed (I'll take some responsibility for that) but the point was to give your opinion about why Guy is currently low key. I shared my opinion about sports companies and it's gone off from there. Let's try to stay somewhat on track.

I don't need nor am I currently wearing any Lakai, Emerica, or Es. I have many times in the past but I find what works for me and stick with it. Vans' regular classics (old skool, half cab) are great along with the pro classics (era pro, half cab pro). I also wear PF Flyers which aren't meant for skateboarding but they work very well. However, PF Flyers isn't trying to enter the skateboarding industry and profit from it. Sports companies that are in the industry are the ones that we shouldn't be supporting whether as a consumer or a sponsored rider. This isn't hard to understand.

Sports. Companies. Don't Care. Core. Companies. Do. Care. There's politics in everything in life, and I'm just saying you should be mindful of what you're doing and mindful of what you support with your hard earned money.

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #97 on: December 27, 2015, 12:55:29 PM »
I bet Guy is lo key because he's gonna have a part drop soon. Just my opinion

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -276
« Reply #98 on: December 27, 2015, 01:18:07 PM »
Expand Quote

1. If you can get paid to do something you enjoy doing in your free time, that's awesome. No one wakes up and says, "man I can't wait to go to work at Mcdonalds today!". Skateboarding, video games, planting flowers, etc...these are leisure activities. So if someone is willing to pay you to do that, it's something to be stoked on. That's my point.

2. Lakai, Girl, Chocolate, Fourstar are all very successful companies and I guarantee Mike and Rick have plenty of money to pay their riders well enough.

3. If you want more money, work a side job, make art and sell it, or whatever else you want to do. But seeking out a sponsorship from a sporting goods company when you're a skateboarder is not the right thing to do.

4. Even though you didn't have a #4 I'll assume it's the Shane O'Neill comment. It would be understandable if a pro that's bringing in more income for the company to get paid more, but the other riders should be paid fairly as long as they're doing their best too. And I'm sure for the most part, it works out this way.

5.Successful core companies are doing their best to pay their riders fairly. You don't take that for granted and throw shit in their face by teaming up with a sporting goods company that's driving the very person that is supporting you out of business.  

[close]
You're hilarious. Where do you get your information from? Plenty of people wake up happy to work for McDonald's everyday. Rick and Mike pay themselves before they even have a second thought about what a fair living wage or what the correct reimbursement value of a team riders effort is worth. I you're presented with the option to either remain a "full time" professional or substitute your income by getting another job or "making art and selling it" and your decision making process involves "keeping it core" then that's great that you have that luxury. Tell me, where are you getting this insider knowledge about what "successful core companies" are doin for their riders and their families? The management gets payed first.

Where do you get YOUR information from? To suggest that Rick and Mike don't know what a "fair living wage" is for their riders is laughable. Crailtap riders are up until now the most loyal in the industry. Have you read MJ's Jenkem interview? He breaks down how there is no need to skate for a brand like Nike because he gets so well looked after at Lakai. Guy (like Gino) basically just spat in their faces after years of support for doing everything besides skating. And does it really matter who gets paid first? It's quite obvious they all get paid and quite handsomely at that.

Xtal

« Reply #99 on: December 27, 2015, 01:21:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

1. If you can get paid to do something you enjoy doing in your free time, that's awesome. No one wakes up and says, "man I can't wait to go to work at Mcdonalds today!". Skateboarding, video games, planting flowers, etc...these are leisure activities. So if someone is willing to pay you to do that, it's something to be stoked on. That's my point.

2. Lakai, Girl, Chocolate, Fourstar are all very successful companies and I guarantee Mike and Rick have plenty of money to pay their riders well enough.

3. If you want more money, work a side job, make art and sell it, or whatever else you want to do. But seeking out a sponsorship from a sporting goods company when you're a skateboarder is not the right thing to do.

4. Even though you didn't have a #4 I'll assume it's the Shane O'Neill comment. It would be understandable if a pro that's bringing in more income for the company to get paid more, but the other riders should be paid fairly as long as they're doing their best too. And I'm sure for the most part, it works out this way.

5.Successful core companies are doing their best to pay their riders fairly. You don't take that for granted and throw shit in their face by teaming up with a sporting goods company that's driving the very person that is supporting you out of business.  

[close]
You're hilarious. Where do you get your information from? Plenty of people wake up happy to work for McDonald's everyday. Rick and Mike pay themselves before they even have a second thought about what a fair living wage or what the correct reimbursement value of a team riders effort is worth. I you're presented with the option to either remain a "full time" professional or substitute your income by getting another job or "making art and selling it" and your decision making process involves "keeping it core" then that's great that you have that luxury. Tell me, where are you getting this insider knowledge about what "successful core companies" are doin for their riders and their families? The management gets payed first.
[close]

Where do you get YOUR information from? To suggest that Rick and Mike don't know what a "fair living wage" is for their riders is laughable. Crailtap riders are up until now the most loyal in the industry. Have you read MJ's Jenkem interview? He breaks down how there is no need to skate for a brand like Nike because he gets so well looked after at Lakai. Guy (like Gino) basically just spat in their faces after years of support for doing everything besides skating. And does it really matter who gets paid first? It's quite obvious they all get paid and quite handsomely at that.

Good work, I got lost in responses and didn't catch that one but would have basically said the same thing as you.

conqueso

« Reply #100 on: December 27, 2015, 01:36:31 PM »
You say this dude spit in his bosses faces. But do you really know what went down????

Of course not.

And 'core' companies (traffic, etc) dont exactly lead their riders to being able to live comfortably. Most of the guys on those types of teams likely know that it's a short step above being a hobby. Hence why so many of them have side jobs or are continuing their education.

Koji-Wu

« Reply #101 on: December 27, 2015, 01:43:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Well he says how there is no need for HIM to skate for a big brand, but also says that he understands why people do. He also talks a lot about some of the worst people he has come across have been those running "core companies".

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2013/07/16/the-marc-johnson-interview/

too much

« Reply #102 on: December 27, 2015, 02:23:25 PM »
There are 2 rumors on here about Guy leaving Crailtap.

1. Can't be on Nike and ride for crail.
2. When crail got bought out by the investment company Guy and Koston got the short end of the stick in terms of ownership royalties.

I'm betting it's rumor 2. Gino has explained leaving a dozen times

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #103 on: December 27, 2015, 02:43:07 PM »

Plus yes. The shoes are better. Just because you add 'for the record' to the front doesn't make it so.

Honest question: How are Nike shoes better? What makes them better? I'm really curious. If you can convince me, I will try a pair (preferably without any swooshes on the sides).

straight

« Reply #104 on: December 27, 2015, 03:09:55 PM »
Expand Quote

Plus yes. The shoes are better. Just because you add 'for the record' to the front doesn't make it so.

[close]

Honest question: How are Nike shoes better? What makes them better? I'm really curious. If you can convince me, I will try a pair (preferably without any swooshes on the sides).

you strike me as someone who wears straight laced puffy shoes. . please post the shoes you're wearing right now or else im going to keep my assumption

MYXGAMES2015

« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2015, 03:12:00 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

lol good luck

Sold Out

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 97
« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2015, 03:28:06 PM »

2. When crail got bought out by the investment company Guy and Koston got the short end of the stick in terms of ownership royalties.

These are both dumb. He obviously left for a large pay check, everyone knows. 1. There's lots of trail people who ride for corporate shoe companies. 2. Guy had almost no ownership royalties left in any of their brands by the time he left.

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2015, 03:28:35 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I could give two shits what shoes you decide to skate. For me? I'm not rolling in dough. I skate the shoes on the sale rack or from Ross and they have always lasted longer than Emericas or Lakais. The soles last longer, the Ollie area doesn't wear as fast. I once skated a pair of dunks for almost 5 months skating 4 days a week or so.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2015, 03:53:19 PM »
Why do you get so worked up about this? You act as if your mom lovingly hand sews each pair of Nike SBs or something.

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2015, 05:46:17 PM »
Two reasons.

1.  I'm sick with a lung infection and can't go outside
2. For some reason I just get annoyed hearing the same argument about something so silly every two weeks on here.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -276
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2015, 07:33:35 PM »
Quote from: Koji-Wu  link=topic=88864.msg2424823#msg2424823 date=1451252617
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

Well he says how there is no need for HIM to skate for a big brand, but also says that he understands why people do. He also talks a lot about some of the worst people he has come across have been those running "core companies".

http://www.jenkemmag.com/home/2013/07/16/the-marc-johnson-interview/

I know hes talking about himself, but Guy would 100% be on the same pay level as MJ. They are promoted pretty equally, if anything Guy probably gets paid more.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1390
« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2015, 07:53:48 PM »
He was at AVE's SOTY party. Based on the cup AVE's holding seems like there were Monster logos everywhere. That must've sucked.

Glad to see him skating with MJ and Biebel in that Eric Bork clip. Is there footage of Bork trying to grind a 34-stair?

That's what I would think as well...rumour 1 was mentioned earlier and I don't believe Rick and Mike would be the type to kick Guy off because he's riding different shoes.

beazlocal

• Rep: -28
« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2015, 08:27:00 PM »
Nike sucks, and so does Guy's current flavour of skating and shit style

too much

« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2015, 09:56:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

These are both dumb. He obviously left for a large pay check, everyone knows. 1. There's lots of trail people who ride for corporate shoe companies. 2. Guy had almost no ownership royalties left in any of their brands by the time he left.

Why is #2 "dumb"...Why couldn't some corporate bullshit go down in combination with the offer of a larger check?

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #114 on: December 28, 2015, 04:33:52 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I get my information from standard business practice and common sense. I rarely go in for these "core vs corporate" arguments because they get incredibly long winded and people on both sides are still going to think they're right no matter what's presented to them. I wish people would stop bringing MJ's interview up as some kind of evidence of their pro skater owned argument, he doesn't present any hard facts at all, he spits feathers and casts dispersions over everyone except his current sponsors (fancy that). Gino doesn't owe Crailtap shit, he earned them more than he was payed otherwise they would have let him go entirely rather than cutting him down to royalties only. That how business works, corporate or core. Lakai and their new investors decided that whatever Guy was being offered it wasn't worth the return to match the offer, that's if there was even an offer on the table, he's a skater in his twilight years in an industry that has always valued youth over experience because the youth will do it for less than those with experience can afford to.

Xtal

« Reply #115 on: December 28, 2015, 09:40:02 AM »
Lakai and their new investors decided that whatever Guy was being offered it wasn't worth the return to match the offer, that's if there was even an offer on the table

Face it, Nike had the money on a fishhook and Guy bit. Why the hell would Rick and Mike go into a bidding war for a dude that's turning his back on them? Tune in, cash in, drop out brah. He betrayed his family.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #116 on: December 28, 2015, 10:10:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Lakai and their new investors decided that whatever Guy was being offered it wasn't worth the return to match the offer, that's if there was even an offer on the table
[close]

Face it, Nike had the money on a fishhook and Guy bit. Why the hell would Rick and Mike Altamont Capital go into a bidding war for a dude that's turning his back on them turning 40 and has earned them more over the past 10 years than he could in the next 10? Tune in, cash in, drop out brah. He betrayed his family is an independent contractor who payed his debt to his friends and has moved on.
Fixed

pabloalvarado

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -45
  • Elissa Steamer is a superstar.
« Reply #117 on: December 28, 2015, 10:27:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Face it, Nike had the money on a fishhook and Guy bit. Why the hell would Rick and Mike Altamont Capital go into a bidding war for a dude that's turning his back on them turning 40 and has earned them more over the past 10 years than he could in the next 10? Tune in, cash in, drop out brah. He betrayed his family is an independent contractor who payed his debt to his friends and has moved on.
[close]
Fixed

/thread.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #118 on: December 28, 2015, 10:33:17 AM »
Not to backtrack but...

3. Where the fuck did you get the idea I want "salary caps" for skateboarders? The pros getting paid insane amounts of money are the ones gobbling corporate dick. Getting paid to live a decent life means you can survive and also have extra money to do what you want in your free time. If you want more money, work a side job, make art and sell it, or whatever else you want to do. But seeking out a sponsorship from a sporting goods company when you're a skateboarder is not the right thing to do.

Guy is 40+ years old at this point, if Nike can help him retire as a skateboarder and not have him get forced into a desk job to support himself and family (like many of these dudes probably do) for the remainder of his working life, that's pretty cool. But that's just my opinion, small skater owned board companies rule, but these shoe giants (vans, nike, cons, adidas) dominate the market. Plus you've got all these small companies paired up with shoe companies, all the 917 dudes are decked out in Nikes and the Polar dudes are all in CONS.
good come sausage

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2015, 10:46:08 AM »
I also wear PF Flyers which aren't meant for skateboarding but they work very well. However, PF Flyers isn't trying to enter the skateboarding industry and profit from it. Sports companies that are in the industry are the ones that we shouldn't be supporting whether as a consumer or a sponsored rider. This isn't hard to understand.

Are you saying that if PF Flyers started paying your favourite skateboarders you'd stop wearing them?