Author Topic: Why's Guy gone into hiding  (Read 31084 times)

Xtal

Re: Why's Guy gone into hiding
« Reply #120 on: December 28, 2015, 11:16:15 AM »
Expand Quote
I also wear PF Flyers which aren't meant for skateboarding but they work very well. However, PF Flyers isn't trying to enter the skateboarding industry and profit from it. Sports companies that are in the industry are the ones that we shouldn't be supporting whether as a consumer or a sponsored rider. This isn't hard to understand.

[close]
Are you saying that if PF Flyers started paying your favourite skateboarders you'd stop wearing them?

No. Good way to twist my words up by "fixing" my quote. Do you not care about the industry and would rather watch it burn to the ground than keep it in the hands of skateboarders?

SodaJerk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #121 on: December 28, 2015, 11:25:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I also wear PF Flyers which aren't meant for skateboarding but they work very well. However, PF Flyers isn't trying to enter the skateboarding industry and profit from it. Sports companies that are in the industry are the ones that we shouldn't be supporting whether as a consumer or a sponsored rider. This isn't hard to understand.

[close]
Are you saying that if PF Flyers started paying your favourite skateboarders you'd stop wearing them?
[close]

No. Good way to twist my words up by "fixing" my quote. Do you not care about the industry and would rather watch it burn to the ground than keep it in the hands of skateboarders?
Nope, don't give a fuck about "the industry", I'm more interested in the "culture". Please, continue and answer why according to you it's ok to support a brand as long as it's not involved in marketing to skateboarders.

Xtal

« Reply #122 on: December 28, 2015, 11:35:53 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
Nope, don't give a fuck about "the industry", I'm more interested in the "culture". Please, continue and answer why according to you it's ok to support a brand as long as it's not involved in marketing to skateboarders.

Then why are you joining the discussion on a thread that's about the industry? I'm against brands that get their foot in the door of the industry by making false promises ("we'll only be selling exclusively to core shops" -Nike) and acting as if they care about skateboarding (any sports company). PF is doing none of those things.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #123 on: December 28, 2015, 11:36:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I already noticed that you're dumb, now you just signed my thoughts.
You rather support a brand that doesnt invest in skating that a brand, that although is not founded in skating, sponsors and pay skateboarders. You think that paying to skate a non-labeled skate shoe is not killing the skate owned shoe brands? Skating in PF's is worse than skating nike's... Atleast they're paying/supporting their team well.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #124 on: December 28, 2015, 11:40:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Then why are you joining the discussion on a thread that's about the industry? I'm against brands that get their foot in the door of the industry by making false promises ("we'll only be selling exclusively to core shops" -Nike) and acting as if they care about skateboarding (any sports company). PF is doing none of those things.
So if Guy quit Lakai to skate in PF Flyers then that would be ok?

Xtal

« Reply #125 on: December 28, 2015, 11:44:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

You rather support a brand that doesnt invest in skating that a brand, that although is not founded in skating, sponsors and pay skateboarders. You think that paying to skate a non-labeled skate shoe is not killing the skate owned shoe brands? Skating in PF's is worse than skating nike's... Atleast they're paying/supporting their team well.

So, with your logic it wouldn't matter if I bought some PF flyers or some flip flops from Wal Mart. Since they're both not labeled as "skate shoes" I would be taking money from the skate shoe industry? Haha, what??? Let's stay on track, kiddo.

Nike, Adidas, and CONS(Nike) are dominating the skate shoe industry, period. Just because they pay their riders doesn't make them good. They just have the money to buy riders and pay them the most, putting the small guy out of business. I feel like I'm repeating this stuff a lot. Are you not getting this?

Xtal

« Reply #126 on: December 28, 2015, 11:49:01 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Nice cop out, answering my question with another question. I won't do that though, I'll answer yours. PF Flyers is irrelevant because they're not in the industry putting core companies out of business.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #127 on: December 28, 2015, 11:49:24 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

So, with your logic it wouldn't matter if I bought some PF flyers or some flip flops from Wal Mart. Since they're both not labeled as "skate shoes" I would be taking money from the skate shoe industry?

Guess what, yes genius! If they dont pay skateboarders you're not supporting skating in any way. When you pay for PF's you think your money, someway (by miracle i guess) go to skaters pockets?!

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #128 on: December 28, 2015, 11:52:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Nice cop out, answering my question with another question. I won't do that though, I'll answer yours. PF Flyers is irrelevant because they're not in the industry putting core companies out of business.

People, lets only buy/skate PF flyers, that way skater owned shoe companies dont die! Damn you're dumb.

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #129 on: December 28, 2015, 11:55:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

People, lets only buy/skate PF flyers, that way skater owned shoe companies dont die! Damn you're dumb.

beazlocal

• Rep: -28
« Reply #130 on: December 28, 2015, 11:56:11 AM »
Nike is not paying guy money that will last him a lifetime, end of that story

Xtal

« Reply #131 on: December 28, 2015, 11:58:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]

Leave the discussion for adults kid. Those are your words not mine. Did it ever occur to you that I didn't originally buy PF Flyers to skate in? They worked and it was all I had on my feet at the time. Way to derail a thread and throw around petty insults. It's so easy over the internet, I know. If we had this discussion at a local park face to face, it would be much different. Ignored.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #132 on: December 28, 2015, 11:58:58 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

This thread is about "the industry"? I thought it was about why Guy Mariano has gone dark on social media.

Xtal

« Reply #133 on: December 28, 2015, 12:04:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
This thread is about "the industry"? I thought it was about why Guy Mariano has gone dark on social media.

Which no doubt ties into the industry.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #134 on: December 28, 2015, 12:06:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

Unlike PF Flyers.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #135 on: December 28, 2015, 12:07:45 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Leave the discussion for adults kid. Those are your words not mine. Did it ever occur to you that I didn't originally buy PF Flyers to skate in? They worked and it was all I had on my feet at the time. Way to derail a thread and throw around petty insults. It's so easy over the internet, I know. If we had this discussion at a local park face to face, it would be much different. Ignored.

You're older than me so you are right and i'm not. Ok old guru guy! You skate in whatever you like, for the whatever reasons you have, i dont care, i skate in whatever i like, but atleast practice what you preach if you want to be that "Core"! (Somebody quote this shit so he can see)

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

Xtal

« Reply #136 on: December 28, 2015, 12:15:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Unlike PF Flyers.

Lol, I'm not going to back peddle explaining why I brought up PF Flyers in the first place. This conversation between me and you is going nowhere and you said yourself you don't care about the industry so there's no reason for us to continue. Good day.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #137 on: December 28, 2015, 12:30:45 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Unlike PF Flyers.
[close]

Lol, I'm not going to back peddle explaining why I brought up PF Flyers in the first place. This conversation between me and you is going nowhere and you said yourself you don't care about the industry so there's no reason for us to continue. Good day.
Nah this is going places. You believe that Nike should not be bought by skateboarders because they are "buying" skaters, you think that skateboarders should support "the industry" by purchasing skater owned shoes, but you think that the exception to the rule is that if you buy a pair of shoes for the purpose of skateboarding that is not skater owned then they should not have any interest in skateboarding. Glad you made that clear for us. How did you feel about Guy being payed by Converse in the 90's?

Xtal

« Reply #138 on: December 28, 2015, 12:37:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
Unlike PF Flyers.
[close]

[close]
Nah this is going places. You believe that Nike should not be bought by skateboarders because they are "buying" skaters, you think that skateboarders should support "the industry" by purchasing skater owned shoes, but you think that the exception to the rule is that if you buy a pair of shoes for the purpose of skateboarding that is not skater owned then they should not have any interest in skateboarding. Glad you made that clear for us. How did you feel about Guy being payed by Converse in the 90's?

I'd say you're pretty much correct on what I've said, but there's more reasons I've listed as to why Nike shouldn't be supported. I didn't know he was paid by Cons in the 90s. But he made the right decision to move onto Lakai and stick with skater owned companies, until recently.

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -276
« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2015, 01:02:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

By not supporting the industry you are killing the very culture you cherish. Think of it like this, and I'm going to assume you are not part of the generation I'm going to talk about. When we started skating, we actually skated street, going from spot to spot, schoolyard to schoolyard basically hanging with your friends all day and not needing to film every trick you attempt, being stoked for your friend for landing a trick because it was fun. Hanging out and supporting a homie who was going to finally try that front board down the local 4 stair rail. To me at least (and surely I'm not alone here) this is the culture you say you are interested in.. How does the industry affect the culture? If skaters said no to big business like Nike, Monster, Redbull etc there would be no Nike "super crown" for kids to aspire to. Kids wouldn't be skating there local park all day in headphones because they need to "practice" for their upcoming sponsor me tape. I guess what I'm trying to say is Nike, Monster etc want skating to be a sport and not the sub culture you're so interested in.

stevedave

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 99
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #140 on: December 28, 2015, 01:18:30 PM »
Doesn't Jason Adams get shoes from PF Flyers?!?!  Sorry I'm late to the party.
"See you are like Mark David Chapman and my posts are John Lennon. You having nothing to offer so the best you can do is try to assassinate my beautiful posts. My Dental Plan is Strawberry fields and you are a sexually frustrated fat man."  ---NigNogNooo---

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #141 on: December 28, 2015, 01:28:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

By not supporting the industry you are killing the very culture you cherish.[\b] Think of it like this, and I'm going to assume you are not part of the generation I'm going to talk about. When we started skating, we actually skated street, going from spot to spot, schoolyard to schoolyard basically hanging with your friends all day and not needing to film every trick you attempt, being stoked for your friend for landing a trick because it was fun. Hanging out and supporting a homie who was going to finally try that front board down the local 4 stair rail. To me at least (and surely I'm not alone here) this is the culture you say you are interested in.. How does the industry affect the culture? If skaters said no to big business like Nike, Monster, Redbull etc there would be no Nike "super crown" for kids to aspire to. Kids wouldn't be skating there local park all day in headphones because they need to "practice" for their upcoming sponsor me tape. I guess what I'm trying to say is Nike, Monster etc want skating to be a sport and not the sub culture you're so interested in.
I support the industry by purchasing products endorsed by the skaters I look up to  I support the culture by skating, helping out the younger guys I skate with and not getting the culture confused with the industry. I don't owe skater owned shoe brands anything, nor do I owe any sporting goods brands anything. I make my footwear purchase decisions based on my own criteria not how wealthy skater A ("core" shoe company owner) should be compared to skater B (independent contractor payed to endorse sporting goods company shoes). Lakai, Sole Tech brands, DC, DVS, Huf ect were all founded by skaters but all make "chillers" and market outside of skateboarding. Does this mean I should wear their non skate shoes just to support skaters or am I allowed to wear what I please when I'm not skating? The industry and the culture are not one and the same.

jonnysheen

• Rep: -64
« Reply #142 on: December 28, 2015, 01:40:15 PM »
Expand Quote
There are 2 rumors on here about Guy leaving Crailtap.

1. Can't be on Nike and ride for crail.
2. When crail got bought out by the investment company Guy and Koston got the short end of the stick in terms of ownership royalties.

I'm betting it's rumor 2. Gino has explained leaving a dozen times
[close]

These are both dumb. He obviously left for a large pay check, everyone knows. 1. There's lots of trail people who ride for corporate shoe companies. 2. Guy had almost no ownership royalties left in any of their brands by the time he left.

in another tread some alleged Crailtap employee said Guy left because Nike wanted him to wear Nike SB apparel and Crailtap said if you leave 4star too then your off Girl.   So he made the choice to quit all of Craitap, girl, royal, lakai, 4star for Nike

Koston probably had some influence over this too.

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #143 on: December 28, 2015, 01:46:19 PM »
Is there actual documented proof of bad blood from the Crailtap camp? I'd image they're all adults here and wish Guy the best... gotta feed that baby.

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 283
« Reply #144 on: December 28, 2015, 02:18:31 PM »
Doesn't Jason Adams get shoes from PF Flyers?!?!  Sorry I'm late to the party.

nah i helped ripped laces actually write the PF review on their site...we contacted PF because I've spotted Adams, Josh Harmony, and Pastras all skating in them, but they apparently just flow these guys shoes but don't have an actual skate team.
good come sausage

Paul Cicero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -276
« Reply #145 on: December 28, 2015, 02:26:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

By not supporting the industry you are killing the very culture you cherish.[\b] Think of it like this, and I'm going to assume you are not part of the generation I'm going to talk about. When we started skating, we actually skated street, going from spot to spot, schoolyard to schoolyard basically hanging with your friends all day and not needing to film every trick you attempt, being stoked for your friend for landing a trick because it was fun. Hanging out and supporting a homie who was going to finally try that front board down the local 4 stair rail. To me at least (and surely I'm not alone here) this is the culture you say you are interested in.. How does the industry affect the culture? If skaters said no to big business like Nike, Monster, Redbull etc there would be no Nike "super crown" for kids to aspire to. Kids wouldn't be skating there local park all day in headphones because they need to "practice" for their upcoming sponsor me tape. I guess what I'm trying to say is Nike, Monster etc want skating to be a sport and not the sub culture you're so interested in.
[close]
I support the industry by purchasing products endorsed by the skaters I look up to  I support the culture by skating, helping out the younger guys I skate with and not getting the culture confused with the industry. I don't owe skater owned shoe brands anything, nor do I owe any sporting goods brands anything. I make my footwear purchase decisions based on my own criteria not how wealthy skater A ("core" shoe company owner) should be compared to skater B (independent contractor payed to endorse sporting goods company shoes). Lakai, Sole Tech brands, DC, DVS, Huf ect were all founded by skaters but all make "chillers" and market outside of skateboarding. Does this mean I should wear their non skate shoes just to support skaters or am I allowed to wear what I please when I'm not skating? The industry and the culture are not one and the same.

I know they are not the same thing. My point is one influences the other.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #146 on: December 28, 2015, 02:30:27 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]

I know they are not the same thing. My point is one influences the other.
So how do you support the culture and the industry? Also, why do you do each?

nice_guy_2

« Reply #147 on: December 28, 2015, 02:44:47 PM »
ALL that matters is enjoying the act of sk8

tb303

• Rep: -141
  • acid drop
« Reply #148 on: December 28, 2015, 03:01:04 PM »
The other side of the discussion is what if non skaters buy skate shoes regardless of a non skater or skater owned company,
that's ultimately good for the industry and the culture isn't it?

Do you guys get pissed off seeing hipster edgelords in Lakai's or Janoski's?
Is the voice in your head saying 'what a peasant he doesn't even skate but he's wearing those shoes' ?

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #149 on: December 28, 2015, 03:25:24 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Apparently it is hard to understand.  PF Flyers are owned by New Balance, which is currently doing exactly what you (Xtal) are saying PF Flyers are not doing.