Author Topic: Why's Guy gone into hiding  (Read 31082 times)

Xtal

Re: Why's Guy gone into hiding
« Reply #150 on: December 28, 2015, 03:36:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I also wear PF Flyers which aren't meant for skateboarding but they work very well. However, PF Flyers isn't trying to enter the skateboarding industry and profit from it. Sports companies that are in the industry are the ones that we shouldn't be supporting whether as a consumer or a sponsored rider. This isn't hard to understand.

[close]
Are you saying that if PF Flyers started paying your favourite skateboarders you'd stop wearing them?
[close]

Apparently it is hard to understand.  PF Flyers are owned by New Balance, which is currently doing exactly what you (Xtal) are saying PF Flyers are not doing.  

Apparently you didn't read the part where I mentioned I didn't originally buy them for skating. And New Balance may own them, but PF specifically isn't doing what New Balance is doing. This discussion is about sports companies within the industry cashing in, PF is not doing this.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 03:39:11 PM by Xtal »

Glue Reed

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #151 on: December 28, 2015, 04:14:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I also wear PF Flyers which aren't meant for skateboarding but they work very well. However, PF Flyers isn't trying to enter the skateboarding industry and profit from it. Sports companies that are in the industry are the ones that we shouldn't be supporting whether as a consumer or a sponsored rider. This isn't hard to understand.

[close]
Are you saying that if PF Flyers started paying your favourite skateboarders you'd stop wearing them?
[close]

Apparently it is hard to understand.  PF Flyers are owned by New Balance, which is currently doing exactly what you (Xtal) are saying PF Flyers are not doing.  
[close]

Apparently you didn't read the part where I mentioned I didn't originally buy them for skating. And New Balance may own them, but PF specifically isn't doing what New Balance is doing. This discussion is about sports companies within the industry cashing in, PF is not doing this.

I dig your debate style of ignoring all the arguments pointing out your contradictions, or dismissing them as irrelevant. 

keep it going buddy you're doing great!

Joe Davola

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 60
« Reply #152 on: December 28, 2015, 04:22:38 PM »
You guys sound like a bunch of bitchy women.

Xtal

« Reply #153 on: December 28, 2015, 04:28:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Apparently it is hard to understand. �PF Flyers are owned by New Balance, which is currently doing exactly what you (Xtal) are saying PF Flyers are not doing. �
[close]

[close]

I dig your debate style of ignoring all the arguments pointing out your contradictions, or dismissing them as irrelevant.�

So you base your logic off someone else's? If I went to the store and bought some Red Wing boots for work, that means I'm not supporting the skate industry? Lol, I bought PF's to chill and they happened to work for skating when I had nothing else to wear. That's not a contradiction.

Just admit you needed to get your smart ass internet comment off your chest for the day, you didn't come here to add to the discussion.

other2

« Reply #154 on: December 28, 2015, 05:11:01 PM »
You guys sound like a bunch of bitchy women.

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #155 on: December 28, 2015, 05:31:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Apparently it is hard to understand. �PF Flyers are owned by New Balance, which is currently doing exactly what you (Xtal) are saying PF Flyers are not doing. �
[close]

[close]

I dig your debate style of ignoring all the arguments pointing out your contradictions, or dismissing them as irrelevant.�

[close]

So you base your logic off someone else's? If I went to the store and bought some Red Wing boots for work, that means I'm not supporting the skate industry? Lol, I bought PF's to chill and they happened to work for skating when I had nothing else to wear. That's not a contradiction.

Just admit you needed to get your smart ass internet comment off your chest for the day, you didn't come here to add to the discussion.

dude your comments have been picked apart numerous times already, i just find it hilarious you ignore it. 

btw I only support skater owned work boots at my job.  +1 for me.

Xtal

« Reply #156 on: December 28, 2015, 05:36:23 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

dude your comments have been picked apart numerous times already, i just find it hilarious you ignore it.  

btw I only support skater owned work boots at my job.  +1 for me.

"Picked apart"? Cause one person said I'm apparently not practicing what I'm preaching which I just proved was flawed logic, twice.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 05:46:54 PM by Xtal »

Koji-Wu

« Reply #157 on: December 28, 2015, 06:32:46 PM »
PF sponsor Jason Adams so I guess they are looking at making some inroads in the industry or why would they have a skater on the payroll?

augustmoon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 814
« Reply #158 on: December 28, 2015, 07:26:33 PM »

Leave the discussion for adults kid.

there is no way you're older than 21.  if by some anomaly you are, then you're a pretty fucking stupid ass adult.

you must have lived a very sheltered, privileged life if you think that a 40 year old man with a wife and kids should set aside taking care of his family in favor of getting screwed over by his "friends" so he can remain relevant to some random idiot on the internet. 
Fuck brandon biebel... The lemon thrower

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #159 on: December 28, 2015, 07:28:48 PM »
If you buy Red Wings work boots, then no, that purchase is not supporting the skateboarding industry. How in the fuck would you be, unless your local shop was the one that sold them to you? If you bought SubWay, are you supporting McDonalds? If you now your lawn are you supporting the Republican Party? If you go see a movie in a theater, are you supporting the death penalty? If you go for a walk, are you supporting Boeing, you stupid fuck?

I'll eat my fucking words if you can logically explain what on earth you meant by that question. Go talk to Ik130 or whatever his name is.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

violentpizza

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -69
  • pregnant pussy
« Reply #160 on: December 29, 2015, 02:43:33 AM »
skate for the stoke. The industry hates you. Ask mike v

Xtal

« Reply #161 on: December 29, 2015, 04:18:42 AM »
there is no way you're older than 21.  if by some anomaly you are, then you're a pretty fucking stupid ass adult.

you must have lived a very sheltered, privileged life if you think that a 40 year old man with a wife and kids should set aside taking care of his family in favor of getting screwed over by his "friends" so he can remain relevant to some random idiot on the internet. 

Again, how is he getting "screwed over" by the people that have been paying him just fine throughout the years? It's not about staying relevant to me or anyone else on the internet, is that really what you think this is about? Lol.

If you buy Red Wings work boots, then no, that purchase is not supporting the skateboarding industry. How in the fuck would you be, unless your local shop was the one that sold them to you? If you bought SubWay, are you supporting McDonalds? If you now your lawn are you supporting the Republican Party? If you go see a movie in a theater, are you supporting the death penalty? If you go for a walk, are you supporting Boeing, you stupid fuck?

I'll eat my fucking words if you can logically explain what on earth you meant by that question. Go talk to Ik130 or whatever his name is.

The point I'm making, that I bought PF Flyers without any intention of it to have anything to do with skateboarding, is that I'm not going against my personal values of supporting skater owned. It seems multiple people just don't agree with my opinion that supporting skater owned matters, so now it's about attacking me personally and trying to act as if I slipped up and contradicted myself. This is what I mean when I bring the word adult in the conversation. Mature, respectful people don't resort to this kind of behavior. Nothing wrong with disagreeing, if you wanna throw around fighting words over the internet, it speaks volumes about you.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 365
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #162 on: December 29, 2015, 05:49:27 AM »
At what point will people stop referring to Lakai as skater owned? It used to be, but no longer is. Surely everyone on here knows everything under Girl distribution was sold to Altamont Capital? This is old news.

http://business.transworld.net/features/girl-founders-new-altamont-investment/#19HC0utUidu8psPU.97
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #163 on: December 29, 2015, 05:59:42 AM »
Altamont doesn't own them outright. They're partners. It looks like the same people are in charge of product design and marketing.

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #164 on: December 29, 2015, 06:14:50 AM »
Altamont doesn't own them outright. They're partners. It looks like the same people are in charge of product design and marketing.

Right, but that still does not change the fact that Girl is no longer a skater owned company: they have a LOT of capital backing them from a corporation that also owns insurance companies, used cars sales, pharmaceutical companies, fox clothing, etc.

Girl, and everyone company under the Girl umbrella, is receiving funding/partially owned by a conglomerate. There's no two ways around it. They're not skater owned. Skater founded, sure. Owned? No. Not anymore.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #165 on: December 29, 2015, 06:21:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Right, but that still does not change the fact that Girl is no longer a skater owned company: they have a LOT of capital backing them from a corporation that also owns insurance companies, used cars sales, pharmaceutical companies, fox clothing, etc.

Girl, and everyone company under the Girl umbrella, is receiving funding/partially owned by a conglomerate. There's no two ways around it. They're not skater owned. Skater founded, sure. Owned? No. Not anymore.

Skater founded and skater run. That's pretty important to some people. It's the difference between skaters getting bought out and still making decisions, and an outside entity with no previous ties to skateboarding buying out skaters. To some that's splitting hairs and to others it's significant.

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #166 on: December 29, 2015, 06:46:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Skater founded and skater run. That's pretty important to some people. It's the difference between skaters getting bought out and still making decisions, and an outside entity with no previous ties to skateboarding buying out skaters. To some that's splitting hairs and to others it's significant.

Not trying to start an e-beef patty with you but when there are outside sources pumping money into a business, 'u better belee dat' those outside forces have control in terms of decision making just as much as the original founders. All you need to do is look at what happened to Alien. Once a part of a company is sold, that shit is gone, and the decision making process follows the money, not good intentions.

Are skaters 'running' Girl still? Sure. Do they have investors to answer to before making any decision regarding the 'brand identity'? Absolutely. Skateboarders are no longer in full control of Girl, and a corporation has say in the way the companies operates now.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #167 on: December 29, 2015, 07:42:03 AM »
I'm posting from my phone and tried to edit down quotes to specific things to respond to but it is taking far, far too long to do so.

Just because Crailtap, for instance, has outside investors does not necessarily change any of the reasons why I choose to support their company (Lakai, at least). I highly doubt that the outside forces are pressuring Rick and Mike into putting people on the team, designing shoes, choosing materials, hiring different designers, et all. I also doubt that Carroll and Howard would, for instance, seek out outside investors and agree to a specific deal that usurps control of these decisions away from them. Those companies are their baby, and I doubt that they would do something so inherently stupid. When Burton bought Workshop, in my opinion, the only reason anybody knew about it was because it was publicized. There was no drop in quality, no weird team shake ups, no attrocities in producing product, with the major exception of the Dyrdek's dog boards. However, in hindsight, how would you feel as a company owner, knowing that young kids may end up seeing Dyrdek's shows on TV and want to get a board, knowing full well that your company is completely the opposite of what that young kid will end up gravitating toward if all of your boards produced have a razor blade and 'Kill Trend Continuum' on them, or Warhol graphics? Kids (or at least Dyrdek's target market) are too young to gravitate toward subversive graphics like that... My point is, probably better that those kids learned how to skate on a PS Stix made board with actual trucks, wheels, bearings et all than have their parents take them to get a WalMart board and have them give up because the hardware sticks up over the board and the wheels don't roll. The major exodus and shake downs and difficulties with distribution occurred when Dyrdek bought Workshop back from Burton and relinquished control to another company entirely, probably due to the fact that I couldn't imagine Dyrdek having enough time to do two tv shows, street league events, flex here and there AND over-see a company.

Also, I'm not sure how my language equated to fighting words. I was not internet flexing, I was trying to get you to understand that your points don't make sense. Point blank: just because I buy a cup of coffee before I go skating most times it does not mean that I'm supporting the skateboard industry. The pack of hanes white tees I bought to wear as undershirts when I go skating did not support the skateboarding industry. The gas I put into my car to go to the spot or to the park doesn't support the skateboarding industry. However, if the board I'm currently skating breaks and I head up to the shop to buy another one, any amount of money, on realistically anything, is supporting the skateboarding industry. To be fair, if you do buy Nike SB from a skate shop, you are supporting the industry. I just wouldn't feel good about it, personally.

I would love to see the spots you skate. Judging from your opinions and your reasoning, I would expect you to have a bunch of insane, hard as fuck to skate spots in your spot book or just the local park. It could be one or the other. 

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #168 on: December 29, 2015, 08:51:48 AM »
I'm posting from my phone and tried to edit down quotes to specific things to respond to but it is taking far, far too long to do so.

Just because Crailtap, for instance, has outside investors does not necessarily change any of the reasons why I choose to support their company (Lakai, at least). I highly doubt that the outside forces are pressuring Rick and Mike into putting people on the team, designing shoes, choosing materials, hiring different designers, et all. I also doubt that Carroll and Howard would, for instance, seek out outside investors and agree to a specific deal that usurps control of these decisions away from them. Those companies are their baby, and I doubt that they would do something so inherently stupid.
'

You're either a teenager, or  just straight kidding yourself if you think that a conglomerate such as Altamont is investing millions of dollars into a company and is just gonna be like, 'okay dudes, I know you've nurtured this from the ground up, as a reward for your loyalty to the culture and artform of skateboarding, here's a ton of cash, keep doing your thing!' Nah. More like 'here's our investment plan of five million dollars over the next three years. We expect triple returns, and need to start cutting corners. Which one of your buddies hasn't been producing much lately, whether that's in the warehouse, design department, or on the board? Who's retiring because we need to loose some salaries' Capitalism is cutthroat, and that's the real world. These dudes (and lady) sold their baby. It's that simple.

You, and everyone else, can claim 'Crail 'til death' and 'support the industry' and 'core' until you're blue in the face but that fact is that Crail is now partially owned by a bunch of dudes in suits. I know it hurts, but that's the reality of the situation. I'm sorry for our collective loss. But please accept the facts and move along.

EDIT: That's not directed at anyone specifically, more just like, I don't understand why people can't wrap their heads around the fact that Crail is not skater owned anymore, so please stop saying Lakai is skater owned, and that Guy went from a corporate sponsor, to a bigger corporate sponsor. Are their subtleties and nuances? Sure. Is Lakai 'cooler' than Nike? Without a doubt. But, at least call a spade a spade.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 08:56:22 AM by mattchew »

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #169 on: December 29, 2015, 09:15:44 AM »
Expand Quote

Just because Crailtap, for instance, has outside investors does not necessarily change any of the reasons why I choose to support their company (Lakai, at least). I highly doubt that the outside forces are pressuring Rick and Mike into putting people on the team, designing shoes, choosing materials, hiring different designers, et all. I also doubt that Carroll and Howard would, for instance, seek out outside investors and agree to a specific deal that usurps control of these decisions away from them. Those companies are their baby, and I doubt that they would do something so inherently stupid.
[close]
'

You're either a teenager, or  just straight kidding yourself if you think that a conglomerate such as Altamont is investing millions of dollars into a company and is just gonna be like, 'okay dudes, I know you've nurtured this from the ground up, as a reward for your loyalty to the culture and artform of skateboarding, here's a ton of cash, keep doing your thing!' Nah. More like 'here's our investment plan of five million dollars over the next three years. We expect triple returns, and need to start cutting corners. Which one of your buddies hasn't been producing much lately, whether that's in the warehouse, design department, or on the board? Who's retiring because we need to loose some salaries' Capitalism is cutthroat, and that's the real world. These dudes (and lady) sold their baby. It's that simple.

You, and everyone else, can claim 'Crail 'til death' and 'support the industry' and 'core' until you're blue in the face but that fact is that Crail is now partially owned by a bunch of dudes in suits. I know it hurts, but that's the reality of the situation. I'm sorry for our collective loss. But please accept the facts and move along.

EDIT: That's not directed at anyone specifically, more just like, I don't understand why people can't wrap their heads around the fact that Crail is not skater owned anymore, so please stop saying Lakai is skater owned, and that Guy went from a corporate sponsor, to a bigger corporate sponsor. Are their subtleties and nuances? Sure. Is Lakai 'cooler' than Nike? Without a doubt. But, at least call a spade a spade.
If you are successful enough to make it to the point that one of these investment funds comes knocking on your door I doubt there is an industry figure that would/could say no to taking it to the next level in favour of "keeping it core". It's not so much that Crailtap is selling out, more cashing in and they can't be blamed for it, after 20+ years in a notoriously fickle industry the capitalist adage of expand or die rings true. There's no guarantee that ha they not sold a portion o their business that within one to two years everything caves. Core don't pay the mortgage, it just looks better on the Internet.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #170 on: December 29, 2015, 09:49:19 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
'

I mean, dude, I don't know, I don't work for them, I don't know the arrangements of their deal, but there hasn't been any shake ups besides Guy and Koston, and I'd imagine they left on their own.

Xtal

« Reply #171 on: December 29, 2015, 09:51:06 AM »
Also, I'm not sure how my language equated to fighting words. I was not internet flexing, I was trying to get you to understand that your points don't make sense. Point blank: just because I buy a cup of coffee before I go skating most times it does not mean that I'm supporting the skateboard industry. The pack of hanes white tees I bought to wear as undershirts when I go skating did not support the skateboarding industry. The gas I put into my car to go to the spot or to the park doesn't support the skateboarding industry.

Obviously, because none of those things are skate products. The PFs I bought, are not a skate product. They were not designed by a company that identifies itself as a skateboard company to be used specifically as a skateboardoing shoe. Quality goods that are designed specifically for skateboarding, are skate products. Therefore, when buying a skate product people should be supporting companies by/for skateboarders. That's just the way I see it, and if pro's are going to ride for sporting goods companies I will voice my disappointment.

Retox

• Rep: -47
« Reply #172 on: December 29, 2015, 10:28:14 AM »
Skater owned is fucking laughable.  And it's always the least educated about these issues spouting off their anecdotal bullshit.

Guy has a wife and kid.  Life isn't black or white and many times people will sacrifice their idealogy to make sure their family is taken care of.  That Nike money will afford Guy options and allow him to skate longer. 

Maybe skateboarders shouldn't own and operate companies?  Fact:  For many years, skater owned brands released hot garbage called product.  The industry is to blame not the skateboarders.  They got complacent and greedy.  So now the industry clings to made up words like skater owned.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #173 on: December 29, 2015, 10:51:36 AM »
It's a laughable idea that he wasn't "putting food on the table" before. That kind of emotional appeal is ridiculous. Nobody made him have kids that he has to "put food on the table" for. It's not like he's some impoverished, homeless person with no recourse but to accept a Nike contract. You guys are equally laughable.

Xtal

« Reply #174 on: December 29, 2015, 11:08:28 AM »
Skater owned is fucking laughable.� And it's always the least educated about these issues spouting off their anecdotal bullshit.

Guy has a wife and kid.� Life isn't black or white and many times people will sacrifice their idealogy to make sure their family is taken care of.� That Nike money will afford Guy options and allow him to skate longer.�

Maybe skateboarders shouldn't own and operate companies?� Fact:� For many years, skater owned brands released hot garbage called product.� The industry is to blame not the skateboarders.� They got complacent and greedy.� So now the industry clings to made up words like skater owned.

Do you not know anything about skateboarding history? Skateboard companies were created by skateboarders, and to say their products were "garbage" is completely false. How do you think the skateboard shop came into existence? Skateboarders needed to distribute their products and large sporting goods stores wanted nothing to do with them. Even when skateboarding supposedly became a "fad". Core shops' dedication to skateboarding by sponsoring riders, throwing contests, and pushing for public parks helped core companies survive. They were there to help skateboarders and encourage skateboarding. Large sporting goods companies and their distribution had no hand whatsoever in this process.

Of course Nike or any sports company can afford to pay their riders much more money, build great parks, throw contests with huge prizes. It's a multi-billion dollar corporation. So when Mr. Joe Schmo needs more money for his wife and kid, Nike has the life bait. If more and more pro's bite, the existing channel of passionate core companies will cease to exist and the skateboarding industry as a whole will be in the pockets of multinational corporations, more than it already is.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2015, 11:11:30 AM by Xtal »

Xtal

« Reply #175 on: December 29, 2015, 11:10:37 AM »
It's a laughable idea that he wasn't "putting food on the table" before. That kind of emotional appeal is ridiculous. Nobody made him have kids that he has to "put food on the table" for. It's not like he's some impoverished, homeless person with no recourse but to accept a Nike contract.

*GROUNDBREAKING POINT*

been meaning to say this as well.

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #176 on: December 29, 2015, 11:23:59 AM »
It's a laughable idea that he wasn't "putting food on the table" before. That kind of emotional appeal is ridiculous. Nobody made him have kids that he has to "put food on the table" for. It's not like he's some impoverished, homeless person with no recourse but to accept a Nike contract. You guys are equally laughable.

One can argue that biologically he is forced to reproduce . Who knows how deep the need to reproduce goes on a unconscious level .

This discussion is kinda hilarious , People who dont even work in the skate business are telling people who work in the skate business who they can skate for or not skate for . How much money they should make and now even if they should have kids or not

If Nike started making defibrillators that were 100% to save life , Do you think doctors , paramedics would discussing the use of them justified cause they are not Core ? and would put core defibrillator brands out of business . Sure they save lifes but you dont want to be a poser paramedic . you want be CORE

Howard and Carrol started a board company , but they made clothes aswell within Girl . Why are they cutting in on Skate clothes market ? they went even further by starting a shoe , truck and clothes company . Why are they cutting in on other shoe , truck and clothes companies when they make boards ?

Nike makes shoes in pretty much every sport and activities . Why is it weird for them to make shoes for skateboarding ? isnt Nike making shoes more Core then Girl making shoes ?  I mean Nike is a shoe company and girl is a board company

At the end of the day ( in this thread )  We have Skateboarders , hating on Skateboarder making money and a career  for themselves , and what is worse these people hating are not even part of the Industry

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #177 on: December 29, 2015, 11:45:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Also, I'm not sure how my language equated to fighting words. I was not internet flexing, I was trying to get you to understand that your points don't make sense. Point blank: just because I buy a cup of coffee before I go skating most times it does not mean that I'm supporting the skateboard industry. The pack of hanes white tees I bought to wear as undershirts when I go skating did not support the skateboarding industry. The gas I put into my car to go to the spot or to the park doesn't support the skateboarding industry.
[close]

Obviously, because none of those things are skate products. The PFs I bought, are not a skate product. They were not designed by a company that identifies itself as a skateboard company to be used specifically as a skateboardoing shoe. Quality goods that are designed specifically for skateboarding, are skate products. Therefore, when buying a skate product people should be supporting companies by/for skateboarders. That's just the way I see it, and if pro's are going to ride for sporting goods companies I will voice my disappointment.
Your logic is so flawed and even after several people have pointed out the discrepancies in your argument you continue dig your heels in. Hanes white tees are not skate products but a Krooked T shirt is, which should I choose to wear to support the industry? If I buy the Krooked shirt at a Zumies am I supporting the industry? If you choose to skate in PF Flyers (I don't give a fuck that you bought them not for skateboarding) instead of shoes that were designed and branded by a company founded by a skateboarder are you harming the industry? If I wear Levis (non skate branded) instead of Fourstar am I harming the industry?
Shoes and soft goods have been adapted by skate brands for further revenue and to feather their business nests they have flown the skater owned flag to shame some people into believing that if you don't buy their brand skateboarding itself is under threat. Boards, wheels and trucks are the essentials and should be kept in the hands of skateboarders. Everything else is peripheral, non essential, that's why you are able to skate in PF Flyers even though they're not designed or marketed by your favourite "core" pro.

You seem to have supporting your favourite skater with supporting "the industry".

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #178 on: December 29, 2015, 11:54:10 AM »
isnt Nike making shoes more Core then Girl making shoes ?  I mean Nike is a shoe company and girl is a board company

Thats a good one Monty.

ChuckRamone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #179 on: December 29, 2015, 11:57:05 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

One can argue that biologically he is forced to reproduce . Who knows how deep the need to reproduce goes on a unconscious level .

This discussion is kinda hilarious , People who dont even work in the skate business are telling people who work in the skate business who they can skate for or not skate for . How much money they should make and now even if they should have kids or not

If Nike started making defibrillators that were 100% to save life , Do you think doctors , paramedics would discussing the use of them justified cause they are not Core ? and would put core defibrillator brands out of business . Sure they save lifes but you dont want to be a poser paramedic . you want be CORE

Howard and Carrol started a board company , but they made clothes aswell within Girl . Why are they cutting in on Skate clothes market ? they went even further by starting a shoe , truck and clothes company . Why are they cutting in on other shoe , truck and clothes companies when they make boards ?

Nike makes shoes in pretty much every sport and activities . Why is it weird for them to make shoes for skateboarding ? isnt Nike making shoes more Core then Girl making shoes ?  I mean Nike is a shoe company and girl is a board company

At the end of the day ( in this thread )  We have Skateboarders , hating on Skateboarder making money and a career  for themselves , and what is worse these people hating are not even part of the Industry

This is the problem with your arguments: you think criticism of someone means condemnation or hatred of that person. It doesn't. It only means you disagree with their professional choices. Making this an issue of someone being able to "put food on the table" or not is an insincere exaggeration and an overblown appeal to emotion. Guy Mariano did not have to sign to Nike for basic survival or even more than basic survival. He made a professional choice that some of us think was not good.