Author Topic: Truck set-ups  (Read 1232316 times)

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
Re: Truck set-ups
« Reply #4410 on: November 03, 2018, 03:47:06 AM »
Expand Quote
CALLING J...SOY....!!!

Or anyone that has a pair of theeve TIH 5.5

Got a pair for sale??
[close]

Just....sold em....$50 USD but I have a homie who has a set.  His are the 8.5's though I think.  I can check.

Darn...it’s okay, thanks though

I’m looking for more of that 8.18 stability but that tih feel

Idk what it is maybe cause the tih barely changed since the time theeve was out but they’re a lot like the v2 when they did work without the bushing slop

I have the v3 Tiax and they’re alright but they’re nothing like the way the v2 felt, the v2 just sucked where the bushing wouldn’t stay in place is all

These tih though, love the feel

Might not love that sticky on metal situation though but I don’t really look for or grind metal coping stuff

I love the crusty streets and it’s harsh ledges
yes

j....soy.....

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1581
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4411 on: November 03, 2018, 08:52:00 AM »
Yeah....they are the 8.5's.....

Overall they were good trucks, lasted forever, no axel slip, light, but I skate too many parks and skate super slow....so I need all the help grinding I can get.

Daniel

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4412 on: November 04, 2018, 01:02:46 AM »
after two sets of newer aces bending, went back to indy. with indy 78a replacements, the turn is great.
are the ace bushings in indys that good??
never tried the hard top soft bottom on anything besides stock ace...
also thinking of trying ventures out again..
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 01:39:13 AM by Daniel »

BMCsteve

• Rep: 54
« Reply #4413 on: November 04, 2018, 07:02:12 AM »
Yeah....they are the 8.5's.....

Overall they were good trucks, lasted forever, no axel slip, light, but I skate too many parks and skate super slow....so I need all the help grinding I can get.

This is my life and why I never got the TiH

snickers

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -354
  • do you think this is a game?
« Reply #4414 on: November 05, 2018, 01:45:32 AM »
just set up a new complete with thunder 149s. stock bushings seem just fine though i loosened them up as much as possible. i prefer the back truck to be looser than then front.
fatcockXL deserves to be mod on the strength of his name alone

CoMpLeMeNts4U

« Reply #4415 on: November 05, 2018, 02:47:00 AM »
Been skating thunders like this now and it's perfect. Thunder 99 duro replacement bushings bones bottom washer stock top. Only thing I did was switch up to cast baseplates. Anyone else find the forged ones harsh? Almost too stiff or something I dunno sounds weird.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:55:58 AM by CoMpLeMeNts4U »

hey pickle

« Reply #4416 on: November 05, 2018, 09:53:16 AM »
i love how the forged ones feel - i dont know how to put it into words but it sounds totally different to cash and feels different under your feet. i dont know if its just mental but i skate better with forged plates

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #4417 on: November 06, 2018, 08:38:04 AM »
RipTide Cups for Mini Logo.
https://www.daddiesboardshop.com/riptide-mini-logo-street-pivot-cups-wfb

Yes, pivot cups that cost half as much as just buying new trucks. Yet, I'm probably doing it. 

My cups are toast, and while I could get 10 mini logo cups for $10 shipped - why not go big?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4418 on: November 06, 2018, 09:29:43 AM »
RipTide Cups for Mini Logo.
https://www.daddiesboardshop.com/riptide-mini-logo-street-pivot-cups-wfb

Yes, pivot cups that cost half as much as just buying new trucks. Yet, I'm probably doing it. 

My cups are toast, and while I could get 10 mini logo cups for $10 shipped - why not go big?

Riptide cups for Minilogo.

The universe is folding in on itself =D

Enjoy them, Riptides are great.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1004
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4419 on: November 07, 2018, 12:57:13 PM »
after two sets of newer aces bending, went back to indy. with indy 78a replacements, the turn is great.
are the ace bushings in indys that good??
never tried the hard top soft bottom on anything besides stock ace...
also thinking of trying ventures out again..

The new ACE LOW bushings in Indy's are fucking amazing (having also tried to mix and match duros with aftermarket indys with no success). Like I mentioned prior the bottom bushing is just a hair shorter than the aftermarkets (tops are the same size), you just barley see the height difference side by side. They're snappier and more stable than using soft indy conicals.

Like having them in ACEs, there is next to no break-in time, and they do stiffen up.

I ride loose.

Daniel

• Rep: 8
« Reply #4420 on: November 07, 2018, 03:30:25 PM »
^^i'll have to give it a try, sounds great.

SoapyEyes

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4421 on: November 09, 2018, 09:45:13 PM »
Just snapped a kingpin on one of my trucks today so I'm rocking a krindy 139 in the back
« Last Edit: November 09, 2018, 09:47:37 PM by SoapyEyes »

Diocletian

« Reply #4422 on: November 11, 2018, 02:04:58 PM »
^ Speaking of frankentrucks. Anyone here think an Indy stage 5 hanger would work on say...an Ace baseplate? They don’t have new school bolt patterns on the stage 5 plates.

backinaction

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 279
« Reply #4423 on: November 11, 2018, 06:42:38 PM »
^ Speaking of frankentrucks. Anyone here think an Indy stage 5 hanger would work on say...an Ace baseplate? They don’t have new school bolt patterns on the stage 5 plates.

I have some stage 6 Indys.  I just bolted them to a deck with the two inner holes, made sure they were straight, then drilled the new holes through them using the deck as the guide. 

Diocletian

« Reply #4424 on: November 12, 2018, 06:03:24 AM »
Thanks that’s a good idea. Unfortunately the set I was watching on eBay was bought yesterday. They were pretty much brand new...I should have jumped on it when they were first listed :'(

exiled

« Reply #4425 on: November 12, 2018, 03:59:46 PM »
Riptide pivot cups arrived yesterday.  They're clearly far superior in terms of quality.  Installing them the trucks seem a little bit snappier returning to center and the turn is more controllable. 

They're not going to change your life but you could blind fold me and I would easily be able to tell the difference between these and stock.

They're also silent so if squeaky trucks bother you, these will solve that completely.

Note that these are NEW Indy pivot cups in the pics and they come looking like they were chewed up by a rottweiler

Well, I saw your post and decided to order a set of pivot cups for my Indy 149 hollows on my cruiser.

Also ordered a set of bushings to try out. I'm currently running Bones HC medium on top (roadside) and hard on the bottom.

Riptide has so many damn options on their site I had to research all the different formulas and shapes all friggin day to figure out what to order. I went with the APS forumula cause it's apparently pretty bouncy and jelly-like. Went with the super hard (97.5a) barrel shape for the bottom and medium 90a short cone shape for the roadside. We'll see if it works the way I'm thinking or if I just fucked up and wasted like $20. I'll report back.

max power

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 675
« Reply #4426 on: November 12, 2018, 09:00:24 PM »
Without digging through the entire thread. Do bones bushings work in Ventures? If not what does?

anon

« Reply #4427 on: November 12, 2018, 09:25:07 PM »
Without digging through the entire thread. Do bones bushings work in Ventures? If not what does?
http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?action=printpage;topic=88869.0
ctrl+f "bones bushings"

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #4428 on: November 12, 2018, 10:22:33 PM »

They work fine on Venture Highs. Indy bushings work too as they have the exact same dimensions as Venture bushings. I have Indy Super Softs on mine without the bottom washer to make them turn. Nice for cruising the streets and whatnot but tight turns are never gonna happen.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #4429 on: November 13, 2018, 04:11:29 PM »
As someone who's new to the concept of really changing up truck set-ups (been skating for 18+ years and just haven't ever been exposed to it I guess) - what are some good entry level things to experiment with? I'm currently riding some kind of krux (don't know the variety even) and I'm thinking of switching out the bushings because the stock ones are getting fried and are not as responsive as they used to be. It seems like there's only a certain level of cross-compatibility between truck brands and bushings, so I'm not sure if I just went for Ace or Bones if they would necessarily work.

anon

« Reply #4430 on: November 13, 2018, 04:25:01 PM »
I love my Krux with Ace bushings. I can't stop posting about them and I dream about them at night. I'll just stand on my board in the garage and tilt in the middle of the night while my family sleeps. It's pure magic.

rob

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 188
  • Lance Mountain
« Reply #4431 on: November 13, 2018, 04:49:51 PM »
As someone who's new to the concept of really changing up truck set-ups (been skating for 18+ years and just haven't ever been exposed to it I guess) - what are some good entry level things to experiment with? I'm currently riding some kind of krux (don't know the variety even) and I'm thinking of switching out the bushings because the stock ones are getting fried and are not as responsive as they used to be. It seems like there's only a certain level of cross-compatibility between truck brands and bushings, so I'm not sure if I just went for Ace or Bones if they would necessarily work.

Definitely ace and get the regular high ones off SoCal skate shop

I bought both the low and standard high ace bushings and the low work perfect for regular trucks like Indy, thunder, venture, destructo probably, maybe silver, and those norm trucks

But trucks with a long kingpin like Krux, theeve, and  ace you gotta go with the standard high so the nut can be tightened flush or just a bit over to be flush

Those 3 trucks don’t take regular height bushings cranked flush, there’s such a wobble gap.

Even with my current theeve tih I have to use both washers with bones bushings and I still  have to crank it 2-3 threads to be just flush
yes

stets

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Rep: 106
« Reply #4432 on: November 13, 2018, 11:01:15 PM »

I threw a pair of Stage 5 169 hangers on stage 11 forged baseplates. The geometry worked out just fine. You can find them online sold just as the baseplates, with a kind of long kingpin installed already. All I had to do was cut down the kingpin a little bit.

After searching for the forged baseplates, looks like they are gone but you can get the normal baseplate at places like Tactics

https://www.tactics.com/independent/6-hole-baseplate-kingpin-1-baseplate/silver
Quote from: augustmoon
lol, don't let my sticker job keep you up at night, buddy

Cthulhu!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 459
« Reply #4433 on: November 14, 2018, 05:05:24 PM »
Regular tall Ace bushings in Krux sounds crazy enough to work. I'll set that up soon.

rosemaryBB

• Rep: 33
« Reply #4434 on: November 15, 2018, 11:29:29 AM »
All this shit has got me thinking of wild things i could throw together. Like, since I got tensor Mags around and they sucked ass for everything except being super grindy, could i just pop the hanger off and throw that on a different brand baseplate? Who here's got the most frankensteined trucks? Curious about what ppl's experience is in this.

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
« Reply #4435 on: November 15, 2018, 12:28:46 PM »
i am having some madness lately but with bushings.

i have tried:

thunder clear orange
the white indy bushings
bones medium
bones soft
bones medium on the bottom and soft on top

i love the way bones mediums feel as far as turnings and carving goes but i don't like that they blow out easily. that yellow plastic part sucks. can anyone recommend some bushings that are like bones but last longer?
even the steven

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #4436 on: November 15, 2018, 01:17:35 PM »
Who here's got the most frankensteined trucks? Curious about what ppl's experience is in this.
Theeve TiAX hangar
ACE Magnesium baselplates
Bones mediums
Krux downlow kingpins
Riptide pivot cups

cosmicgypsies

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 626
« Reply #4437 on: November 15, 2018, 01:31:52 PM »
Expand Quote
Who here's got the most frankensteined trucks? Curious about what ppl's experience is in this.
[close]
Theeve TiAX hangar
ACE Magnesium baselplates
Bones mediums
Krux downlow kingpins
Riptide pivot cups

how much did this cost and do you think it was worth it?

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #4438 on: November 15, 2018, 02:04:37 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
Theeve TiAX hangar $50
ACE Magnesium baselplates $20?
Bones mediums $12
Krux downlow kingpins $8
Riptide pivot cups $15
[close]

how much did this cost and do you think it was worth it?
I guess the total would come out to about $100 if you got all the parts at once - I would totally do it again (good luck finding ACE mag plates), its a nice unique feeling turn, and you can't get any lighter other than putting a TiH hanger -which I did try, but didn't like the way TiH sticks on metal.

exiled

« Reply #4439 on: November 15, 2018, 03:07:23 PM »
i am having some madness lately but with bushings.

i have tried:

thunder clear orange
the white indy bushings
bones medium
bones soft
bones medium on the bottom and soft on top

i love the way bones mediums feel as far as turnings and carving goes but i don't like that they blow out easily. that yellow plastic part sucks. can anyone recommend some bushings that are like bones but last longer?
Riptide Street APS