Author Topic: Your city  (Read 206826 times)

whatnot

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Your city
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2007, 03:25:04 AM »
What's the one underneath the bridge?
i love opening skate talk and see mbl88 mbl88 mbl88... on every thread's last post
----anonymous member

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1888
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2007, 06:26:41 AM »
Singapore, Singapore

Shops:

Spitfire: One of Singapores oldest shops, carries mostly dwindle and blitz distribution boards, with a lot of old boards from companies that died (new deal, deca).  They stopped selling shoes a while ago.  Great vibe from the shop, the shop owners treat you like family.

Go Sports: Another good skate shop, with lots of brands (DGK, Zero, dwindle, blitz, Lakai, DVS).  They have a few obstacles outside the shop so you can try out the stuff you just bought...

Spots:

Most of the good spots are down town, aka Orchard Road.  Stairs, rails and ledges, but be careful, lots of knobs and security is really active. 

other spots are in the suburbs.  Hard to describe, so get the locals to bring you there.

Skateparks:

Somerset: Medium sized skate park made with skate-lite obstacles.  Not fantastic, the curbs are made of plastic so they dont drind well.  theres a mini-ramp, a couple of fun-boxes, medium sized pyramids and a few ramps.

Bedok: Huge open space, but the obstacles are cluttered together.  the park doesnt skate very well, but theres a nice 5 and 7 set at the park that you can hit up.

There a few moer scattered around, but most of them arent worth the effort to type about.

Clubs:

Plenty in singapore, and the locals love clubbing.  Hit up MOS (Ministry of Sound), Zouk, The Cannery, Mohammed Sultan Road... Drinks in singapore are never cheap so your best bet is duty free stuff from the airport....
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1567
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2007, 01:28:06 PM »

cambie?  leeside?  plaza?  all under bridges....

ymhy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2007, 06:32:05 PM »
That's not my site, it's just the major one around here.

Everyone tries to stand out, so they make generic websites with awful Quicktime montages and the same gross iFrame design.

hahaha, oh man

fuckingvegan

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2007, 08:24:35 PM »
Portland:
I don't know much about the street spots, so I will let Jayme or others fill that in.

Stuff to skate that I know:
Burnside park located under the Burnside bridge, one of the craziest places you will ever skate. Don't be a dick.
Wallride spot (not sure the name) right up the street from Burnside, recent photo of Seth McCullum doing a wall ride nose slide. On MLK.
Pier Park technically St Johns this is the newest city skate park. Home to a huge full pipe and some big bowls, also some granite hubba's on the street course,  it is alright but over run by bikes. Go early and hope no bikes tracks mud though the day before. Check out dreamlands website for photos.
Old Fred Myers way the fuck out on Burnside, chunked ledge, manny pads, fun double sided curb.
Down town has some stuff, push around and check it out, most good stuff is skate proofed, but some gems exist.

Skateshops:
Three shops to choose from
Cals- Long time shop, they know their stuff, cater to old school and long boards but carry a lot of new stuff as well
Cals Pharmacy - Shop for the younger "street" guys, super nice people working there. Lots of Nike's for people into that kind of stuff. Right next to the Department of Skateboarding Park which is a fun place to skate on a deary Portland winter day.
Shrunken Head- My shop of choice, run by two gnarly Burnside locals, super cool guys, small selection of stuff but what they have is good. They also threw some good skate jams over the summer. I highly recommend supporting these guys when you can. Also one of their friends "sperm" got hurt and they have been raising money to help him, check them out at www.myspace.com/shrukenhead.
They also put on video premiers from time to time.

Food
Veggie House on I believe it is 2th street in China town, all veggie with a 6.50$ all you can eat lunch buffet, even non veggie folks can't pass up a deal like that.
Voodoo Doughnuts I think it is on 1st Everything from vegan doughnuts to ones toped with bacon, open really late and worth checking out.

Anyway I will let Jayme fill in the blanks, he has lived here a lot longer then me.

And according to Dr. Newton everyone here is a crusty punk hippie heron addict so watch out.

lars

« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2007, 08:26:26 PM »
Does anyone have a picture of Cambie or who film there cause cant find picture of it.

• Rep: 1
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2007, 08:31:33 PM »
all right...i'll start...you guys chime in....

indoor stuff: antisocial mini...sweatshop, small street set up....lbc (north van) small street set up and mini....random parking garages....aren't that good...maybe UBC, chan centre...

outdoor stuff: i'm too old to figure out spots....there's some downtown but nowhere near what it was....shouldnt stop you from looking though....plaza's a good meeting spot that you'll never leave....you could fuck around at cambie...ghetto spot if there's anything there...hotspot....i like crusing around UBC...

parks: hastings for tranny...bonsor in bby is good....if your expectations are low enough.. strathcona is o.k.....same w. china creek....

shops: pretty much antisocial....there's underworld downtown...hotshop for crusties....there's vancity skateboards or something too but i've never been there....

Easy hotel to get drunk in and trash-The Burrard Motor Inn.

For some sleazy fun......head to The Cecil.

For a trip down memory lane....just before you get to Ambleside....check out the huge brick bank that Moses ollied into during his Mad Circle days.fucking insane.

also look at The New Spot....which is long dead.

It's been awhile since I've been to Van-city but the last time I was there was when some kid was writing "Zeus".....that shit was everywhere.
The poster formally known as 1992..

Orpheus

• Rep: 0
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2007, 10:03:52 PM »
Does anyone have a picture of Cambie or who film there cause cant find picture of it.
This first line at 0:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60RnWsVTKFA&mode=related&search=

As well as the rail at 2:08
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFM9NWEPtfQ

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2007, 10:30:53 PM »
yeah..vancouver's got lots of strip clubs....brandis...the cecil....number 5?  but if you're a vegetarian....there's the naam...foundation...uh..bo kong...mondo gelato...deserts...when slam was around...it seemed all the pros rather went to a strip club or for vegetarian food....

stagefright

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -47
« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2007, 02:45:01 AM »
can some mod delete all this bullshit in this thread. vegan needs to know when to shut the fuck up and stop having this fights in the middle of decent threads.
we toked a marley and i split back to the park, minding my own busineess when a rollerblader mean mugs..i let it go.

fuckingvegan

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2007, 07:20:09 AM »
can some mod delete all this bullshit in this thread. vegan needs to know when to shut the fuck up and stop having this fights in the middle of decent threads.

there all cleaned up, you are right I have a problem with starting shit and I was wrong to ruin this thread.
Lets keep it on the topic from here on out.

plastic bench nerd

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2007, 10:36:43 AM »
Portland:
I don't know much about the street spots, so I will let Jayme or others fill that in.

Stuff to skate that I know:
Burnside park located under the Burnside bridge, one of the craziest places you will ever skate. Don't be a dick.
Wallride spot (not sure the name) right up the street from Burnside, recent photo of Seth McCullum doing a wall ride nose slide. On MLK.
Pier Park technically St Johns this is the newest city skate park. Home to a huge full pipe and some big bowls, also some granite hubba's on the street course,  it is alright but over run by bikes. Go early and hope no bikes tracks mud though the day before. Check out dreamlands website for photos.
Old Fred Myers way the fuck out on Burnside, chunked ledge, manny pads, fun double sided curb.
Down town has some stuff, push around and check it out, most good stuff is skate proofed, but some gems exist.

Skateshops:
Three shops to choose from
Cals- Long time shop, they know their stuff, cater to old school and long boards but carry a lot of new stuff as well
Cals Pharmacy - Shop for the younger "street" guys, super nice people working there. Lots of Nike's for people into that kind of stuff. Right next to the Department of Skateboarding Park which is a fun place to skate on a deary Portland winter day.
Shrunken Head- My shop of choice, run by two gnarly Burnside locals, super cool guys, small selection of stuff but what they have is good. They also threw some good skate jams over the summer. I highly recommend supporting these guys when you can. Also one of their friends "sperm" got hurt and they have been raising money to help him, check them out at www.myspace.com/shrukenhead.
They also put on video premiers from time to time.

Food
Veggie House on I believe it is 2th street in China town, all veggie with a 6.50$ all you can eat lunch buffet, even non veggie folks can't pass up a deal like that.
Voodoo Doughnuts I think it is on 1st Everything from vegan doughnuts to ones toped with bacon, open really late and worth checking out.

Anyway I will let Jayme fill in the blanks, he has lived here a lot longer then me.

And according to Dr. Newton everyone here is a crusty punk hippie heron addict so watch out.

alot of the street spots are spread out through the suburbs of portland.

zoo bomb: starts on the west edge of portland and takes you into the city.
you can ride the max up to the zoo and take a hill bomb that goes downhill for a good 3-5 miles.

aloha huber high school: pretty new spot, has a bunch of differen hieght ledges.

dust bowl: located down in the pearl district, some metal edge ledges and some banks.

whitiker school: a couple ledges that were made by some locals. located in northeast portland.

allen banks: some really good banks to launch out of, there is a prety fun pole jam going out of one of the banks. located in beaverton.

beaverton library: smooth manual benches.

pcc sylvania: rails, ledges, stairs and alot more, its really only skateable on sundays and holidays.

wild life reserve: lots of gaps and stairs, its the spot that rick mcrank ollies 4 stairs and a gap onto a skinny bench and then kickflips off over a gap and 4 stairs.

ross island half pipes: brent and beach own this spot.

there are plenty more spots, i will try and list some more tommorow

lars

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2007, 12:34:19 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

cambie?  leeside?  plaza?  all under bridges....

what is leeside? picture

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2007, 10:11:21 PM »
www.leeside.ca

not much...all the ramps are out...it's got a barrier that's been trannied up....it's gonna be something though...in like a yearish..i hope....it's my retirement home....every now and then antisocial drags some stuff out there for events....

lars

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2007, 04:54:00 AM »
so leeside is in vanancouver, and a bridge/ tunnel like in that picture with stuff to skate? is it in any videos? link

thanks

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2007, 07:14:51 AM »
naw...no videos...on one wants to film a bunch of janky ramps..it's gonna be a full blown park though...

////////////

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 156
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2007, 09:57:42 PM »
For a trip down memory lane....just before you get to Ambleside....check out the huge brick bank that Moses ollied into during his Mad Circle days.fucking insane.

georgia banks?

2gskater

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2007, 06:39:29 AM »
what city is the georgia bank at? and what video?

2gskater

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2007, 08:52:05 AM »
Can some also link me a pictre or link a video to the vine street barrier in phily?
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 08:57:44 AM by 2gskater »

dave v-house

• Rep: 15
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2007, 02:29:41 AM »
Portland
Epic wallride spot on 25th or so and Nicolai.

2gskater

« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2007, 02:55:18 PM »
Portland

is that where the georgia banks are?

whatnot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -15
« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2007, 08:35:16 PM »
Taipei, Taiwan
Nothing major here, but several good spots and decent night life.

Shop
Jimi skateshop:
1st skate shop in Taiwan, founded in 1987 or something. Not gorgeous as HK's 8Five2, but it is pretty nice.
CGS:
Basically the same deal with Jimi, they are all under Jet sunny distribution. Located in Tien Mu, foreign resident area in Taipei, you may bump into some guy from Taipei American school here. I used to know some of them, and they are all amazingly incredible.
Skateboarding:
Different vibe and different atmosphere than Jet sunny, huge collection of IPath shoes and whatnot.
Bamboo:
They carry Black Box mainly, such as Zero/Mystery, and Toy machine as well. You might want to know the founder of Bamboo is an american, accidentally settle down in Taiwan. 

Spot
Chun Sheng Plaza:
It is a EMB/Love park esque square, with decent marble ledges and stair cases, you will love it here, plus the same as Love Park, the city's major police station is right beside it. Somehow they don't care, 2 out of 10 times popo will try to talk you off, but that's about it. On the weekends you can found at least 50 kids skating there.
NTU university:
The clique from the campus usually gather around the main gate to skate and chill, there's not many things to skate. Few benches and flatground tops, but it is a meeting place, you can go there to see what's going on.
The Park:
It is beside Chung Sheng soccer stadium and Taipei art museum. Poorly organized park facility but it is a meeting spot as well.
Shing Yi district:
If you are looking for a warm up spot, this is the place. Virgin marble ledge right in front of the Channel flagship shop in Mitsukoshi department store, go there after midnight, or the security may give you a hard time.
You may want to cruise around in the district, actually there's hidden spot around the corner.
Night Life
Bring your shit around, chicks here like westerners, A LOT.
Luxy:
Go to place, average girls. My american born taiwanese friend said this is paradise for him.
Plush:
5 star, a must-go. Up scale models from near by agency frequnetly visit, better dress up there.
Carnegie:
Laid back atmosphere, lots of foreign customers. Great place to chill.
Traffic
MRT and its U card is the best way to get around in the city.
i love opening skate talk and see mbl88 mbl88 mbl88... on every thread's last post
----anonymous member

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: February 14, 2007, 09:10:54 PM »
there's no ben demoskoff there no more though....

dave v-house

• Rep: 15
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2007, 08:26:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Portland
[close]

If that's what they're called that's news to me. I'm almost positive it's the wallride spot that Fred Gall and Kerry Getz did the naked wallrides on in KOTR, if not it looks really similar.

otis b driftwood

« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2007, 12:52:25 PM »
someone do chicago, i might be going there with a female.

Bad Mother Fucker

• Rep: 3
  • we're gonna be like Fonzies here... cool.
« Reply #55 on: February 15, 2007, 04:40:35 PM »
badmotherfuckerville

sebastian toombs

« Reply #56 on: February 15, 2007, 08:28:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Portland
[close]

ehh...  dont know about KOTR but if you can see them at 0.27 of wade fyfe's part in port moody blues

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbHEkn5_b8Y

wish i could find moses ollieng in, still one of the craziest things ever.

[close]

If that's what they're called that's news to me. I'm almost positive it's the wallride spot that Fred Gall and Kerry Getz did the naked wallrides on in KOTR, if not it looks really similar.

plastic bench nerd

« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2007, 12:33:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Portland
[close]

[close]

yep! but ive never heard them called georgia banks

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2007, 07:56:51 AM »
georgia banks are in vancouver canada...

Farm

• Rep: 0
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2007, 09:02:35 AM »
I WAS RAISED IN THE PROJECTS
PROJECTS
I WAS RAISED IN THE PROJECTS
PROJECTS