Author Topic: WKND - Finger Skater Owned and Operated  (Read 7809 times)

palenimbus

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 5
WKND - Finger Skater Owned and Operated
« on: February 04, 2016, 01:36:41 PM »
 ;D

« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 01:38:46 PM by palenimbus »

Dishka

• Rep: 16
Re: WKND - Finger Skater Owned and Operated
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 01:45:57 PM »
sorry, but this is a complete ripoff...

EmilioBestevez

• Rep: 71
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2016, 01:46:16 PM »
I JUST WANT TO CALL OUT WKND FOR BLATANTLY STEALING MY IDEA

At first I thought it was a case of parallel thinking and then I saw the ending and it's just not cool.  It's like comedians stealing other people's jokes.

Here's the video I made 3 years ago for Kingshit magazine with Paul Liliani.  Stealing the finger boarding is one thing, but the finger banging joke is mine...

Here's the vid (if someone could tell me how to embed that would be great thanks)

MOD EDIT:  Just take the 's' out of https and it'll embed.  Great video, by the way.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 01:57:35 PM by HATE! »

REGS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 02:08:51 PM »
Looks pretty damning. I guess they'll say they came up with it on their own, which isn't impossible I guess... but it's pretty similar.

AdrianLopez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 02:13:37 PM »
Yeah, pretty blatant.

Your's looks better though. Nut sure what you/we can do about it though.

[...] like an individual so irrelevant to anything.

Don't be an asshole and don't yo flip! - Kyle Frederick

figureitout

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -138
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 02:14:16 PM »
wow, really impressive Advertising content. This brand has some great things going for them, not to mention Austyn about to be announced!

Dishka

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 02:16:19 PM »
wow, really impressive RIPOFF. This brand has some great STOLEN IDEAS going for them,

Aatila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -305
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 02:24:38 PM »
"original content".  what if this thread turned into wknd "influences" thread

Al Borland

• Rep: 37
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2016, 02:32:27 PM »
As someone who has been fingerboarding for a long time, I can safely say you're not the first person to refer to it as fingerbanging.

reallygudsk8rkid

• Rep: -41
  • Don't Look Before You Leap
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 02:35:33 PM »
Damn, it really pisses me off when these kinds of things happen. Here WKND had an opportunity to reach out and join forces to expand on this cool daydream video, co-creating something similar for their brand, while also helping the dude who came up with the original idea get some extra exposure as well.
Don't know why they felt they had to steal, when they would have been so much more respected had they joined forces and co-created.
Obviously they are not a brand for the people.

EmilioBestevez

• Rep: 71
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 03:00:43 PM »
As someone who has been fingerboarding for a long time, I can safely say you're not the first person to refer to it as fingerbanging.
All original jokes always come from somewhere...that's irrelevant...the difference is I went out and made a film about it....its the same premise and ending.  Stolen jokes have been called out on less parallels than this..it's not just the concept, it was executed the same way
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 03:14:32 PM by EmilioBestevez »

Al Borland

• Rep: 37
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 03:16:09 PM »
Yeah I see what you're saying now. That was pretty damn similar

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1172
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 03:25:57 PM »
hardly art, hardly starving

WHO CARES?

• Rep: 1
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 03:36:23 PM »
used to have a little respect for this johan stuckey character i'm confused how someone who i consider to ACTUALLY skate could be this much of a kook. having mixed feelings about thrasher at the moment now as well, like... do they issue a public apology for posting a complete fraud??? do models wearing thrasher tee's mark the end of realness in ALL skateboardom? is the bible full of lies??? what is going onnnnn???? i so confuse..........  ???

asakusa75

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2016, 03:42:06 PM »
Ok WKND.... the games up!!

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 686
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2016, 03:47:49 PM »
fingergate is upon us.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

reallygudsk8rkid

• Rep: -41
  • Don't Look Before You Leap
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2016, 05:17:54 PM »
used to have a little respect for this johan stuckey character i'm confused how someone who i consider to ACTUALLY skate could be this much of a kook. having mixed feelings about thrasher at the moment now as well, like... do they issue a public apology for posting a complete fraud??? do models wearing thrasher tee's mark the end of realness in ALL skateboardom? is the bible full of lies??? what is going onnnnn???? i so confuse..........  ???

I don't want to assume that Johan is the one behind this, simply because I like Johan, he actually really helped me out this one time, and was super kind to me. Gave me a free spitfire shirt, brand new wheels, stickers, and a deck with the grip. He was funny too, I was quite intoxicated and he told me to grip the board then and there, so i was drunkenly trying to do it somewhat decently, he then shouted, "you take too long! Lemme show you how we do it." then he grabbed it out of my hand, slapped the grip on the board, quite poorly, and cut it terribly. Obviously it was really funny though, and in good humor. He also was telling everyone to be nice to me, I was the new roomate, "he's the new roomate, he's the new roomate" I felt like he kept saying it the whole night. I like Johan.

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2016, 05:48:55 PM »

At first I thought it was a case of parallel thinking and then I saw the ending and it's just not cool.  It's like comedians stealing other people's jokes.

Here's the video I made 3 years ago for Kingshit magazine with Paul Liliani.  Stealing the finger boarding is one thing, but the finger banging joke is mine...

Here's the vid (if someone could tell me how to embed that would be great thanks)

MOD EDIT:  Just take the 's' out of https and it'll embed.  Great video, by the way.

If it's any consultation I like your version better.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

Eric ricks

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2016, 06:08:35 PM »

Wow, amazing on every level!

Zurg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 694
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2016, 06:22:03 PM »
has a company ever done an apology guest board?

floop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -28
  • the things I do for my fucking friends!
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2016, 06:50:52 PM »
pretty sure you could get a lawyer and sue them actually
"Every time I read one of your shitty posts I wonder why I am wasting my time looking at SLAP."

Dengles

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2016, 07:06:22 PM »
Johan is the man I ran into him many many moons ago at the skatepark in Hollywood Florida when I was down there visiting family.  He was like 3 or 4  years older than me but was still super cool to me even though I was a random kid skating a park where I knew no one.  Sucks that they jacked your video but I still think Johan and WKND are rad. 

Candlespliff

• Rep: -4
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 08:06:29 PM »
C'mon the idea's not exactly original. When i was a kid and fingerboarding i would just imagine myself skateboarding. I say, give me an apology for stealing my childhood dreams.
reynolds eats fruit

Lance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 581
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2016, 08:15:33 PM »
both videos were tight.   ;D
Anyone else notice that Tony Parker is the Gino of basketball?

frontsideoverkrook

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2016, 08:50:07 PM »
i highly doubt he ripped it off, especially in this day and age where you get called out for that shit so quickly. that idea could have easily been thought of by two different skaters seeing as how every skater does that finger thing.

REGS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 109
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2016, 08:51:31 PM »
C'mon the idea's not exactly original. When i was a kid and fingerboarding i would just imagine myself skateboarding. I say, give me an apology for stealing my childhood dreams.

It's more about the similar endings, I guess. But I do think it's possible WKND came up with it without seeing the other video.

By the way, why does everyone think Johan is behind this? He doesn't own the brand, he didn't even ride for them when it first started up. It's like blaming Dylan for a shitty HUF commercial.

Dishka

« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2016, 09:51:10 PM »
[/quote] i highly doubt he ripped it off, especially in this day and age where you get called out for that shit so quickly. that idea could have easily been thought of by two different skaters seeing as how every skater does that finger thing. [/quote]
are you guys fucking serious? how similar does it have to be for you idiots to see that it's clearly stolen?? Get your heads out of your asses, this is bullshit. There are legit the same fucking shots, and the same jokes. WKND stole this shit, plain and simple.

nino brown

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1416
  • only nerds kook people
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2016, 12:11:46 AM »
wknd is str8 but this baltant jocking shit isnt whats up

Turtle Boy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 171
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2016, 02:29:00 AM »
i highly doubt he ripped it off, especially in this day and age where you get called out for that shit so quickly. that idea could have easily been thought of by two different skaters seeing as how every skater does that finger thing.

I tend to agree with you, but I'd be really furious if I was the author of the connect the dot video.
I mean the two concepts are really similar, even in the way it's done.
The fucked up thing is you'll never be sure if they copied it or not.

I loved Maloof and the cigarette pack, that guy is fucking amazing, I wonder what is adidas waiting to put him fully on the team.

Grind King Rims

« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2016, 04:21:21 AM »
Even if they made it by accident not knowing how similar it was to an existing video, they'd do well to take it down and say "Whoops, sorry" or whatever. WKND is already an established company with a really cool aesthetic, they don't need this clip (which I did genuinely enjoy). Plagiarism accusations will have a much stronger impact than a short promotional video could.