Author Topic: Fallen Footwear  (Read 67417 times)

baravettski

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 41
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Fallen Footwear
« Reply #390 on: April 16, 2016, 09:20:31 PM »
greetings girl, and welcome to my world of phrase
im right up to bat
its a Daisy age and youre about to walk top-stage
so wipe your Lottos on the mat
-one of my favorite lines. why doesnt Lotto get in the skate shoe game? strike while the irons hot.

twas a proud awkward moment with tight pants shaggy hair pimply face and big boat ass burnt orange fallens. cheifs i think ;) probably high school.
also had a pair of fallen chris cole signature white jeans. id still wear those now that i think of it.
maybe had a pair of slashes years later.
didnt ride the sky have serious copyright issues? dope video. gilberts part!

you know it is a bummer but yes like many have said fallen did not seem to do much to keep up with the corporate joneses. look at the output of footage and diversity of team riders from cons. fuck man i really enjoy all the cons(and poalr for that matter)edits, but its bittersweet knowing that its nike in a mask.

you cant argue that the big boys have been playing their cards right.
ive never bought nikes...dont plan to. $80 shoes never truly spoke to me.
when i first went to skatepark of tampa and saw nike sb's straight up shrinkwrapped, i really was bewildered and did not understand why nikes were wrapped in fucking plastic on the shoe wall at a skatepark. pathetic. well, go in the park and then you see why, decked the fuck out in sb. not littered with stickers like all the chaotic 411 videos i grew up loving, all nike. and some obey shit was wheatpasted on the other small side with the bowl(dont know if thats even there anymore).

i did work at a shop however, and little ones would come in asking for "Jakowskis" "Jerowskis" and so on. $80 minimum mommy and daddy shell it out. most of these grommits did not skate. almost daily for months we send a pair of swooshes out the door. if not equal to than more than vans. and we sold a shiiiiiitload of vans.
now i also experienced people asking for rob dyrdeks dc skateboard. but thats neither here nor there.

i will attest that it seems as if some of these companies "give back" to skateboarding; as it was mentioned cons having workshops. nike paying certain ams or squads or filmers(johnny wilson?) what adidas does i cant say.

but does the good outweigh the bad?

shit i dont know but after 13 pages of comments(yup, read um all) + a jenkem interview i feel like i have a better understanding of the situation as a whole.
to me, seeing a big ass swoosh on someones feet is goofy as shit, no matter how rad you are that logo sticks out like a sore thumb. you can make ishod front feeble a 92 stair and i still wont want to buy nikes.
how long has the gonz addidas relationship been around? i feel like i read hes been with them a very long time but i may be mistaken.
so what do you do?
you dont want to end up with a homogenous shoe game! look at how fucked the media is! three main sources.
but stepping into a pair of hufs that blatently say "made in china" on the footbed doesnt feel great either.
where are emericas made?
why did adio die?
why wont osiris die?
does james hardy have a shoe sponsor?
c1 denim making a comeback?
why did 88 die; was that skater owned?
vita! who started that?
savier...who wouldve thought youd come back to haunt us all.

where do we go from here?
capitalism might be the real issue but im not trying to stir that pot.

footwear that works sounds exciting. looking forward to something...else

lets form a union.
anti nike.

Fuck yeah man. This post got me hyped. As far as your list here's what I remember:

where are emericas made? - china, vietnam or taiwan probably. Some vulc in Indo?
why did adio die? - because of Journeys. Kenny Anderson and Bam shoes went mainstream, they didn't focus on small shops and when it died in the mainstream the small shops didn't want them back.
why wont osiris die? - because of Journeys. Seems like they make Journeys whatever they want.
does james hardy have a shoe sponsor? - I dunno, maybe I can get him on FTW
c1 denim making a comeback? - I heard they are trying.
why did 88 die; was that skater owned? - it was, it turned into Vox.
vita! who started that? - Natas and Mark Oblow I think...and Dill rode for them

tkp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
    • swarm life avatar image
« Reply #391 on: April 17, 2016, 01:24:41 PM »
So while Ken Block spins donuts on a shutdown Bay Bridge, Josh Kalis takes a 75% pay cut.

Eric ricks

« Reply #392 on: April 17, 2016, 01:35:57 PM »
So while Ken Block spins donuts on a shutdown Bay Bridge, Josh Kalis takes a 75% pay cut.

Nope. Cause DC is exectly what dannydee talks about.

They project "core" to skaters, but they are anything but

tkp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #393 on: April 17, 2016, 02:19:20 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Nope.

Ahh, I see why you said Nope. Kalis took a pay cut in the last 2 years. Ken Block was spinning donuts on a barge in the SF Bay next to the bridge in 2012. My bad.

The most popular DC Gymkhana car video has nearly 79 more million views than the most popular skateboard video on the DC Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DCshoesFILM/videos?sort=p&view=0&flow=grid

Josh Kalis, when you say you are diversified does that mean investing your money wisely or more along the lines of being involved in multiple companies with products out on each?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2016, 02:24:55 PM by tkp »

shit_for_brains

« Reply #394 on: April 17, 2016, 02:57:49 PM »
Kalis while you're at it what is your routing number

akaboum

• Rep: -9
« Reply #395 on: April 17, 2016, 03:19:10 PM »
Who the fuck cares ???!!

tkp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #396 on: April 17, 2016, 03:46:11 PM »
Kalis while you're at it what is your routing number

Asking a professional skateboarder who can manage to take a 75% pay cut from a shoe sponsor for diversification advice seems like a wise thing to do. Quite the far cry from asking for a routing number. Seems like a lot of current skateboarders could learn a thing or two in this situation.

Who the fuck cares ???!!

14 pages deep in a thread and this is what you bring to the table?

McCly

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -12
« Reply #397 on: April 17, 2016, 06:09:16 PM »
Isn't Richard Mulder doing very well in real estate? That's a pretty good example.

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #398 on: April 17, 2016, 07:00:38 PM »
Isn't Richard Mulder doing very well in real estate? That's a pretty good example.
Mulder is a preacher now, if he's doing well in RE good on him!

Toydivision

« Reply #399 on: April 17, 2016, 07:12:48 PM »
Skaters need to sign up on Wu-Tang financial

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #400 on: April 17, 2016, 07:19:07 PM »
↑ beat me to it

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

DannyDee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
« Reply #401 on: April 17, 2016, 09:57:14 PM »
Him, Danny Montoya, and Scott Kane all work together. Don't know how well they are doing, I know they sell real estate. Pretty sure it was said at one point Kareem was making good money off of income properties and that's was his main focus over City Stars in the early 2000's. But as is well known alot of people were real estate rich in the early 2000's and weren't by 2007.

DGKALIS

• Rep: 533
« Reply #402 on: April 17, 2016, 10:42:02 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

Nope.

[close]

Ahh, I see why you said Nope. Kalis took a pay cut in the last 2 years. Ken Block was spinning donuts on a barge in the SF Bay next to the bridge in 2012. My bad.

The most popular DC Gymkhana car video has nearly 79 more million views than the most popular skateboard video on the DC Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DCshoesFILM/videos?sort=p&view=0&flow=grid

Josh Kalis, when you say you are diversified does that mean investing your money wisely or more along the lines of being involved in multiple companies with products out on each?

I have multiple things going on outside of skateboarding so i dont really rely on my skate money. I do.. but if skateboarding vanished in the next couple years.. I'm good.
I do have multiple products on different companies... sometimes they do decent.. sometimes they don't.

Chavo

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 225
« Reply #403 on: April 18, 2016, 12:34:50 AM »
Hahaha.. I found that pair of those Adidas. Believe it or not these were huge in the NYC street skateboarding scene of the late eighties.. just as big as these dunks.

Ha.. these shoes cost $20 dollars a pop. If I could go back in time.

I owned many pairs of those Adidas Instincts. They were still cheaply built with the painted outsoles and weak dye. Jordan's were sort of an anomaly since they were well built (unlike the original Dunks) but less bulky than Weapons or Ewings. I couldn't bring myself to wear those Ellesses, although you could pick them up for $15.

In any case, I saw non-skate shoes in the mid-80s as an economic necessity. 95% of skaters, including those in magazines, wore Vans High Tops. Neil Blender was the only pro to wear basketball shoes until the first picture of Gonz wearing Jordans at Oahu skate camp ran in Thrasher. Ubiquitous bargain bin Jordans were comparable in price to $31 Vans Highs, but didn't blow out as fast. By the late '80s, almost every skater wore last season's dead stock basketball shoes since Vans still couldn't figure out the ollie patch and Airwalk was trying to shake their initial Mervyn's association. Eventually a skate shoe industry emerged to address the issues that non-skate shoes couldn't resolve.

tkp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #404 on: April 18, 2016, 09:17:49 AM »

where do we go from here?
capitalism might be the real issue but im not trying to stir that pot.

That's a pot that definitely needs to be stirred.

A bunch of humans, all making the same shit, trying to make it for less, trying to sell more than the other one, sometimes progression, unfortunately a lot of regression. #putAlogoOnIt

Claire

• Rep: -47
  • Kayleigh_RollinDeepUK
    • http://forums.sidewalkmag.com/ avatar image
« Reply #405 on: April 18, 2016, 12:01:26 PM »
I saw Jamie Thomas in the flesh once....

Kayleigh_RollinDeepUK
ALiZa Battenburg
NEXTMAN
EMily!!!!!!!!!

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
« Reply #406 on: April 18, 2016, 05:15:23 PM »
i can this is a real ... HOT TOPIC   8)

runa

• Rep: -9
« Reply #407 on: April 19, 2016, 09:40:15 PM »
I don't like to see Fallen going under. At the same time, I wear plenty of Nike shoes because I've always been into streetwear, but I can say that for the last 10 years I have only bought at Nike Clearance Stores/through connects/a sponsorship program I had. Even though I have a few Nike SB sneakers, I don't skate in Nikes, I mainly skate Emerica and Supra, which can last me a long while.

I can totally appreciate that it must be devastating to know that at a moment in time, Fallen must have had a few million thrown at them to be bought by some company. Most people here would feel cheated, but I can actually sympathize with Thomas if he decided to sell. Why? Because when the going gets tough, there is no mercy. There have to be pro skaters out there whose name nobody remembers that simply took the cash from their pro-models on Adio and other companies and made a life out of it for themselves. So if some snowboard comes and offers you a lifetime of financial stability, fuck being core, because that is what little kids who don't have to maintain a house do (and should do). If you get offered a lot of money for a company that you created, take the money and run.

Also, to anyone saying shit to Kalis and Thomas, just because in this day and age you get to have the opportunity to hear from them about these things, it doesn't mean that you have to disrespect them while playing around in your backyard. It's a good thing that they don't mind coming out here to contribute to discussions on a culture they love, even though some idiots are mispelling their name on purpose and saying things that they would never say to their face because they would fan out instead of acting like normal people, which is what they are doing here. Not saying that you can't throw criticism, like question Jamie on why he helped New Balance, but there are better ways of asking that if you want an answer rather than just throw an insult.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 05:41:13 PM by runa »

tkp

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #408 on: April 19, 2016, 09:48:03 PM »
Starting any form of skateboard brand is tough. It's a saturated market. Making it for as long as Fallen did is impressive.

It's not like we have a shortage of shoe, deck, wheel, bearing, clothing, and media options.

Personally, I wouldn't start anything in skateboarding unless it offered something completely different.

If it's ABD you gotta do it way better. If it's NBD you better hope it's on point and gets respected.

Main

• Rep: -208
« Reply #409 on: April 19, 2016, 11:09:14 PM »
^Definitely. I think for hard goods it's always going to be an ABD because the materials that are used have been tested for decades. Unless we use something better than aluminum for trucks, that's all I can think of.

The footwear department most definitely has area for improvement. Someone needs to come along and make shit that's focused less on flimsy fashion bullshit and more on simplicity and quality.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2016, 08:23:52 AM by Main »

Bitter

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 162
« Reply #410 on: April 20, 2016, 07:49:53 AM »
Also, to anyone saying shit to Khalis and Thomas...

...even though some idiots are mispelling their names

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 744
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #411 on: April 20, 2016, 07:53:48 AM »
So if some snowboard comes and offers you a lifetime of financial stability, fuck being core

Next time a snowboard offers me anything I'll sure as shit take it
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 364
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #412 on: April 20, 2016, 07:58:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]

lol, unreal.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

DGKALIS

• Rep: 533
« Reply #413 on: April 20, 2016, 11:27:45 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

lol, unreal.

Lol. I don't mind the on going joke. I believe it started from spell check. Now it's a thing. All good though. I enjoy the debates and the difference of opinions.
I have plenty of really rad emails from slap pals who have gave me a hard time on here... But person to person are cool as fuck. All good.

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #414 on: April 20, 2016, 11:36:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

lol, unreal.
[close]

Lol. I don't mind the on going joke. I believe it started from spell check. Now it's a thing. All good though. I enjoy the debates and the difference of opinions.
I have plenty of really rad emails from slap pals who have gave me a hard time on here... But person to person are cool as fuck. All good.

If you could go ahead and have a DGK Kakis graphic made that'd be great. 10/10 would buy.

Allen.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 744
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #415 on: April 20, 2016, 03:30:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

lol, unreal.
[close]

[close]
If you could go ahead and have a DGK Kakis graphic made that'd be great. 10/10 would buy.

For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

frontsideindy

• Rep: -122
« Reply #416 on: April 21, 2016, 02:17:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Hahaha.. I found that pair of those Adidas. Believe it or not these were huge in the NYC street skateboarding scene of the late eighties.. just as big as these dunks.

Ha.. these shoes cost $20 dollars a pop. If I could go back in time.
[close]

I owned many pairs of those Adidas Instincts. They were still cheaply built with the painted outsoles and weak dye. Jordan's were sort of an anomaly since they were well built (unlike the original Dunks) but less bulky than Weapons or Ewings. I couldn't bring myself to wear those Ellesses, although you could pick them up for $15.

In any case, I saw non-skate shoes in the mid-80s as an economic necessity. 95% of skaters, including those in magazines, wore Vans High Tops. Neil Blender was the only pro to wear basketball shoes until the first picture of Gonz wearing Jordans at Oahu skate camp ran in Thrasher. Ubiquitous bargain bin Jordans were comparable in price to $31 Vans Highs, but didn't blow out as fast. By the late '80s, almost every skater wore last season's dead stock basketball shoes since Vans still couldn't figure out the ollie patch and Airwalk was trying to shake their initial Mervyn's association. Eventually a skate shoe industry emerged to address the issues that non-skate shoes couldn't resolve.

We rock the CONS rex 400 hardly in the late 80s - you got them super cheap. Skateshoes where cooler but 3 times the price.
i had some Vans Caballero which was unbelievable expensive - i didnt buy them regular - some kid in my town which had fucking rich
parents got them - and i trade them against some dope i steal from my dad.

But if i would skate with that shoes my friends think i would be stupid - CONS and shoe-goo was the way to go.

Airwalk become big - but the sole was so unbelievable bad. You run through the sole in 2 weeks.
The first skate shoe which was affordable in europe was the airwalk vic.
I dreamed to get the Natas Etnies - which was a european brand back then but unbelievable difficult to get.

Its the same today - in my opinion the most skate shoe brands didn't build up a proper distribution in europe.
I am not wondering about the failure from brands like lakai, vox, ipath - it was nearly impossible to get them.
Still today you have at any Footlocker NewBalance - but the Skateshoes you only get in UK.
3 years ago it was not possible to get a black halfcab in europe - some stupid purchasing/ sales or product manger
in a warehouse in italy decide to run only other color way for a couple of seasons.

right now i try to get an Gilbert Crockett Mid in Black or an Chima Estate Pro in Black - i already visit
3 proper "Core" Skate and 2 Vans Shops - not possible to order or organize.

But the swoosh you get fucking everywhere.

I dont know if you only can blame the consumer that skater owned companies didt run.
and its quit easy to blame nike for it. but if you want to build up something you need to be better
or at least cooler then your competitors. And you need to handle your fucking business.

i have not many skate related companies in my mind right now i would say they do it right.

shouldn't

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 89
« Reply #417 on: May 02, 2016, 12:53:17 PM »
where do you guys see this team going? like jon dickson or slash, who else do you see them riding for? emerica? what about dane burman or crevantes? it makes me wonder.

imagine fucking the dog shit outta chris roberts

shit_for_brains

« Reply #418 on: May 02, 2016, 01:11:46 PM »
where do you guys see this team going? like jon dickson or slash, who else do you see them riding for? emerica? what about dane burman or crevantes? it makes me wonder.

The truth? Nobody.

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
« Reply #419 on: May 02, 2016, 01:25:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The truth? Nobody.

I have to agree with this, sadly. Fallen is one of those brands you can't really recover from. It's kind of like Vox. Not many have been able to go from Fallen to something else, with the exception of Gilbert Crockett and Chris Cole. But they are something else, they are insanely high caliber and would be sought after. Dane and Slash would need to approach a company probably, not the other way around.