Author Topic: what have skateboarding strangers done for you?  (Read 4410 times)

Turbo Taylor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -4
Re: what have skateboarding strangers done for you?
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2016, 01:53:49 PM »
Too much lightly used product, meals, floors to sleep on, spots to skate, laughs, and general good vibes to count. Plus you can go damn near anywhere and find homies and a green hookup. If you don't show up kooking it then you're part of the family. Skateboarding is the fucking best.

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • illinoying
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2016, 02:53:40 PM »
Stayed at a friend of  a friends house in Az without having ever met the owner of the house, swooped me and dropped me off at the airport too.
A older guy (now friend) gave me a fresh set of bone swiss one time

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 592
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2016, 06:29:40 PM »
Free cigarettes and a swing of their booze
I'm not that lucky
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Nosferatu

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 687
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2016, 06:53:18 PM »
soy panday and vivien feil showed me and my friend around some cool paris spots after we asked them for directions. other than that I mostly kook it.
I thought it wasnt just him solo, shouldve stuck with my og thought.
R.I.P Rusty. One of us.

stone cold steve austin

• Rep: -84
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2016, 07:01:24 PM »
i went to china around june 2013 and when we got to the hotel reception the dude at the desk asked if we were skateboarders and we said yeah and he said he was too. he then became our travel guide and took us to all the spots and we gave him enough money to have the days off too. on the last night he payed for our dinner but we left him a bunch of wheels and 2 decks at the desk for him in the morning when we had to leave.

we still chit chat to him today

hsggreen

• Rep: 30
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2016, 07:36:09 PM »
when I split my head open at the park I wasn't with friends but everyone there helped me out and got me to the hospital

Witcheshit

• Rep: 3
  • nosebeforehoes.blogspot.com
    • nose before hoes avatar image
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2016, 09:32:05 PM »
- a ride to the new (at the time) vallejo skatepark before the back part was open
- a stack of spitfire 'the end' stickers with a shaka and 'skate or die!' after they were tossed out of his camaro

Roll Forever Tate, 360 Frip, Yappie Dappie, Rusty, T Mack, Pablo, Malcolm, Nosey, Abair

• Rep: 99
  • Fully Flared! coming November 16th 2007
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2016, 11:02:06 PM »
Shane Heyl gave me some shake junt stickers before I even knew who he was. These older skaters taught me how to drop in at the local airforce base skate park.

BBQStreisand

• Rep: -7
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2016, 04:42:58 AM »
Too many to count. Michi Mackrodt basically flowed me boards when I was broke as fuck, many many hand me down shoes, wheels and trucks, places to crash, bikes to ride, parties to go to and laughs to have. I moved around quite a bit and every place I got to local skaters were the most helpful and friendly people you could meet. I usually went into the local shop to say hi, got invited to a session followed by beers and within a week I felt like I've been living in the city for years. Skateboarding is really the best.

Oh and in Paris this guy let me crash at his place for weeks after meeting him once at the dome. We're friends to this day. Good looks!

DirtyCheddarKids

• Rep: 43
« Reply #39 on: May 23, 2016, 11:17:37 PM »
Last year I went on a short trip to New York and was super stoked on it, first time ever in NYC. It was super early in the morning on my first day and I decided to push from my hostel in the Meatpacking to Les Park. Had a nice session there with a few dudes around, and then, when I was about to head out, I wanted to do one last trick on my way back to my stuff. I missed it completely, sending me shin first straight to the ledge.

I fell quite bad, but didn't think too much of it until locals came and told me to lie down and were giving me water. Looking down I realized my pants were cut open and so was my leg, like, the complete shin just flapped open, you could see the veins and down to the bone. I kinda freaked out, I didn't have anything with me besides a few dollars and a credit card, no phone, nothing. The locals were super helpful, called an ambulance, carried me up the stairs, were waiting with me until the ambulance came, bringing me water, talking to me - just overall rad, genuinely nice dudes. I don't remember their names really, it's all a bit blurry as I guess I was a bit under shock, but I think one of the dudes was like 40, bald, graphic designer, and I remember one of his homes was hanging there as well. I thanked them at the spot, but I guess I never really got a chance to properly thank them for all their help - so by the slight chance they are reading this: THANK YOU! Feel free to send me a PM with your address so I can hook you up with a thank you package, it would mean a lot to me.

End of story: 18 stitches and a pretty horrible looking 8" scar on my leg. Still all worth it.
Quote from: Uncle Flea
4 shoes is impressive AF. I could barely sell drugs.

flempa1one

• Rep: -17
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2016, 04:00:41 AM »
Went to the US with my family from Sweden when I was 15. Met some skaters in the golden gate park, who was fairly older, and they brought me with them in their car. Skated Third and Army and Fort Miley, memory for life:)
Shout out to Jubert, Homeboy and the other guys that time

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2016, 04:55:13 AM »
back in the days of buying 10 blanks on ebay for $100, i would get the hand me downs of each blank from the same dude. the shape sucked but i was pretty grateful that i never had to buy boards. i would always spraypaint something stupid on it. like the fallen logo or something.

also at the old LES park one time i did a nollie 5-0 front shove and some dude ran out to me and goes "duuuuuuude i love that trick! i'll give you a board for it!" apparently there was a small contest going on and i got a raised fist propaganda deck out of it. i went and bought pizza after realizing this was the apex of my career on the contest circuit.
good come sausage

Makaveli

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -608
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2016, 09:30:10 AM »
Matt Rodriguez gave me my first set of Indys. BA told me he liked my shirt. Drank with Kenny Anderson. Daryl Angel was tripping on shrooms and didn't want to carry his board anymore so he gave it to my friend.
I’m a ghost that everyone can see.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2016, 12:18:09 PM »
During a gnarly withdrawal in Prague, I was walking around, looking for shady people. Found these two skaters and asked them where to find dope. They could not help me, but offered me some weed. Being an experienced addict, I knew that weed would make me even worse, but I smoked some anyway, because I was a hopeless addict. Needless to say, I got way worse...

LesbianPUNCH

• Rep: 25
« Reply #44 on: May 24, 2016, 09:59:07 PM »
 My brother and I were visiting my mothers family in I think Lexington, Kentucky. Years ago. We were close to Ohio and ended up going to the Dyrdek skate plaza, the first one ever built of its kind. I was working on a front feeble on the stretch four stair rail and was having a rough go of it. But like an epiphany, this really nice guy saw me struggling with the trick so he cut me off and did it first try in my face. And then he mean mugged me.

This shit happened the entire trip. Vibing ass assholes.

I did have a good time in Boston though. Wandered into an adjacent apartment while visiting with friends, hit it off with these strangers at a party, and we end up talking about skateboarding. This dude Mike became our guide, and for the next week we would meet up and cruise downtown, eggs, all these amazing spots.

My friend Damien is flow for Nike and primitive and gives brand new product away almost every day by posting subtle clue videos on Instagram and Facebook for his followers to find. Very admirable guy.