Author Topic: BAKER concaves  (Read 27488 times)

Hash Slinging Slasher

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 93
Re: BAKER concaves
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2021, 10:34:15 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
C47 is the name of the 8.125 that's always been in the line.
[close]

IDK, it has different dimensions than those listed here:

https://bakerskateboards.com/pages/board-construction

And a different sticker:

And I can't find it below, but sometime around when he posted this someone asked about what he was skating and he mentioned that the C47 was an old shape they were bringing back.

It just seems weird they would make a post about that shape, make a different sticker, and have different dimensions listed if it was just the same thing.
[close]
Modern Baker mellow og shapes are tapered but not nearly as pointy as i remember the bakers i got as a kid. I would imagine the c47 to be that old super pointy baker shape I remember.
[close]

yes! set one these up last fall. C47 was def more tapered/pointy, but didn't feel super flat.
dimensions are exactly as listed on the sticker.
Been riding darkrooms, their 8s are also 31.875 long, 14.25 WB. Fuller nose/tail and a bit deeper concave/steeper kicks than the baker C47.
both are BBS wood, so i dig em

i don't know if it's just me being oppositional to how square boards have gotten lately, but that looks sooo good. just feels right

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #61 on: February 03, 2021, 06:56:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

And a different sticker:

And I can't find it below, but sometime around when he posted this someone asked about what he was skating and he mentioned that the C47 was an old shape they were bringing back.

It just seems weird they would make a post about that shape, make a different sticker, and have different dimensions listed if it was just the same thing.
[close]
Modern Baker mellow og shapes are tapered but not nearly as pointy as i remember the bakers i got as a kid. I would imagine the c47 to be that old super pointy baker shape I remember.
[close]

yes! set one these up last fall. C47 was def more tapered/pointy, but didn't feel super flat.
Been riding darkrooms, their 8s are also 31.875 long, 14.25 WB. Fuller nose/tail and a bit deeper concave/steeper kicks than the baker C47.

[close]
i don't know if it's just me being oppositional to how square boards have gotten lately, but that looks sooo good. just feels right

Regardless of the functionality , I think square boards are fugly and and seeing them under my feet makes skating less enjoyable. Shape looks amazing, but yeah, wish it came in like an 8.38".

@hillbilly shifty when you posted this with the Stage VII/VIII Indys I bookmarked it and look at it with a pathologically nostalgic  gaze from time to time.

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #62 on: February 03, 2021, 07:18:23 AM »
In the brand new batch of boards there is an 8.125, 14.25wb, 32L B2 concave board that I am eyeing with consumerist anticipation.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #63 on: February 03, 2021, 07:31:29 AM »
For those who want an even flatter version of the baker mellow OG shape, toy machine's mellow is even more flat - flatter concave and flatter nose. Also, @FrozenIndustries Toy makes an 8.38 mellow concave with a 14.25 wb (Provost Stairway/ Fists/ Devil Cat,) which Baker does not.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #64 on: February 03, 2021, 08:38:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

And a different sticker:

[close]
[close]

[close]
The C47 looks just like a shrunk down version of the B16, I dig it. If I skated that size I’d totally try one.

And I don’t know if it’s because I grew up skating in the early to mid 2000s when all boards were pretty much round or pointy and there wasn’t a squared board in sight, but squared out shapes like the ones that FA and wknd make just dont look right to me. The couple times I’ve skated a more squared out shape I’d look down at my board and itd just look so ugly to me; couldn’t stand it.

camel filters

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1311
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2021, 10:34:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

And a different sticker:

[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
The C47 looks just like a shrunk down version of the B16, I dig it. If I skated that size I’d totally try one.

And I don’t know if it’s because I grew up skating in the early to mid 2000s when all boards were pretty much round or pointy and there wasn’t a squared board in sight, but squared out shapes like the ones that FA and wknd make just dont look right to me. The couple times I’ve skated a more squared out shape I’d look down at my board and itd just look so ugly to me; couldn’t stand it.
tail slides, noseslides, crooks and 5-0's all feel better to me ont he squared off boards but flip tricks definitely feel easier on the tapered/pointy decks. Aesthetically though, I agree. A tapered deck looks better.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2021, 11:48:11 AM »
I'm just going to be chilling here, passing out gnars to people who admit that pointy looks better.

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2021, 02:31:15 PM »

Regardless of the functionality , I think square boards are fugly and and seeing them under my feet makes skating less enjoyable. Shape looks amazing, but yeah, wish it came in like an 8.38".

@hillbilly shifty when you posted this with the Stage VII/VIII Indys I bookmarked it and look at it with a pathologically nostalgic  gaze from time to time.

Thanks @FrozenIndustries!
With those stage VIIs pulling in wheelbase, the pop felt off paired w/ this more mellow tail. It felt GREAT with the tensor mag light 8.25"
Currently loving Darkrooms, a little more round tail/nose compared to the C47, but not crazy full.
I hear ya, never felt compelled to try the FA/WKND type shapes.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2021, 02:51:40 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks @FrozenIndustries!
With those stage VIIs pulling in wheelbase, the pop felt off paired w/ this more mellow tail. It felt GREAT with the tensor mag light 8.25"
Currently loving Darkrooms, a little more round tail/nose compared to the C47, but not crazy full.
I hear ya, never felt compelled to try the FA/WKND type shapes.

Even though it is probably too small for my size 11 feet, hearing the phrase "mellow tail" is triggering me to want one even more. Darkroom look cool and I love Pendleton but that taper got me metaphorically sprung.

@Firebert good looks on the Toy thing. I briefly had an 8.25" fist a few years ago that was nice and flat but I gave it to a friend.

Side note: I have some weird thing about not wanting to buy Toy Machine boards because of how sick they were versus now. Like, in an unnatural way that I don't apply to AWS and Habitat and other once-mighty brands. Maybe I should just get over it.

chris.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 184
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2021, 04:27:14 PM »
Would it be weird to say that I gave opened this thread multiple times just to ogle that c47 top pic?

FUBAR

• Rep: 240
« Reply #70 on: February 03, 2021, 04:38:41 PM »
In the brand new batch of boards there is an 8.125, 14.25wb, 32L B2 concave board that I am eyeing with consumerist anticipation.
Um...YES

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #71 on: February 03, 2021, 06:39:24 PM »

Side note: I have some weird thing about not wanting to buy Toy Machine boards because of how sick they were versus now. Like, in an unnatural way that I don't apply to AWS and Habitat and other once-mighty brands. Maybe I should just get over it.

Being one of the main companies that seems to have different wood for each country (and often crap quality wood in weird shapes at that for the ones I have seen and stood on) I would say you would be justified in NOT buying one unless you saw it and stood on it first.

AU / Asia - crap wood
USA - maybe BBS in the most recent one from Buttfart in the classifieds, but has been PS Stix and also other woodshops in the past

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1028
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2021, 01:06:04 PM »
In addition to the concave above, Baker has been doing some C47 shapes. 8.12" x 31.875", 14.25" WB...supposedly very flat and pointy, based on a shape a lot of them were riding in the early days of the company. Tempted to try one but I wish it were just a little wider.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this is due to Reynolds, he's been on the 8.12 for a hot minute now.

I'm just going to be chilling here, passing out gnars to people who admit that pointy looks better.

I defected to Full ages ago and have recently joined the pointy crew once again. I can't go back to square/blunts. I can go 'normal' popsicle tho...but now I love me some pointy on wider boards, makes them feel much smaller, especially 8.3s just makes them feel/ 'look' like 8.25s.

Firebert

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
    • Instagram avatar image
« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2021, 01:17:23 PM »
Expand Quote
C47 shapes
[close]

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if this is due to Reynolds, he's been on the 8.12 for a hot minute now.

In the most recent stop and chat, Reynolds mentions skating 8.25s again. I'm sure he has or is going through the same madness we are. Maybe that's why the C47 seemingly vanished as soon as it appeared?

Croquet temper

• Rep: -35
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2021, 12:29:30 PM »
The B2 decks aren’t drastically different from the OG shape. Slightly more concave, slightly rounder nose and tail. Definitely not their take on FA/Hockey if that’s what you’re expecting.

Seems perfectly fine though.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2021, 06:55:26 PM »
Just a heads up y’all:
So Deathwish makes boards in the B16 shape as well “8.475 x 31.875 x 14.25wb”, but I’ve found that half the time they’re exactly the same shape as the baker ones, and the other half they’re something completely different. I’ve had a few that were exactly the same as the Baker B16s, but other times I’ve had some that while they were pointy like the Baker B16s they still just felt off. Measured a Deathwish that was labeled 8.475 x 31.875 that felt off to me just for the hell of it and the length actually measured all the way out to 32.1 and the wheelbase was all the way up to 14.5! Just a heads up to any Baker B16 fans who pick up a Deathwish with the same dimensions thinking they’re gonna get that same exact board as the baker B16s, it’s only right half the time!
Never had this happen with Baker btw, every baker B16 I’ve ever had has always felt the same to me.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1040
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2021, 02:09:19 AM »
Just a heads up y’all:
So Deathwish makes boards in the B16 shape as well “8.475 x 31.875 x 14.25wb”, but I’ve found that half the time they’re exactly the same shape as the baker ones, and the other half they’re something completely different. I’ve had a few that were exactly the same as the Baker B16s, but other times I’ve had some that while they were pointy like the Baker B16s they still just felt off. Measured a Deathwish that was labeled 8.475 x 31.875 that felt off to me just for the hell of it and the length actually measured all the way out to 32.1 and the wheelbase was all the way up to 14.5! Just a heads up to any Baker B16 fans who pick up a Deathwish with the same dimensions thinking they’re gonna get that same exact board as the baker B16s, it’s only right half the time!
Never had this happen with Baker btw, every baker B16 I’ve ever had has always felt the same to me.

Sounds exactly like the 8.5 size and shape, not the 8.475 so they might have had a mess up in the production end, just like some DLX boards seem to be other shapes.  Probably already gripped and a pain to take off and check, but did it have the stamp in the top and if so what size was it?

« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 06:34:05 AM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.