Author Topic: No one cares about Cali footage anymore  (Read 4228 times)

fulltechnicalskizzy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1935
Re: No one cares about Cali footage anymore
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2016, 09:40:28 PM »
Hanna Barbera was horseshit.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 513
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2016, 11:59:26 PM »
Expand Quote
No one cares about videos of people skateboarding in California Barcelona because
[close]

no. i'll never get sick over some shiny warm barcy footage. best looking city.

Xtal.

• Rep: -406
  • Less is more stay pure, stay poor
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2016, 09:33:14 AM »
Looney tunes for life

jimi420

« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2016, 10:25:47 AM »
1996 called, it wants both this topic of discussion and my use of the "______ called it wants ______back" cliche back.

If you want to be real, let's admit that there is nothing "underground" about the East Coast either, and places like NYC and Philly are just California 2.0.

If you want that real realness, go to the midwest or another country (excluding spain).
Kansas City on the come up!... For a quarter of the year and then we have to wait for the winter,  rain,  and 105 degree days with morbid humidity to stop

CreepySweaty

• Rep: 60
  • i am mitchie brusco i have done the 1080
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2016, 11:28:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
1996 called, it wants both this topic of discussion and my use of the "______ called it wants ______back" cliche back.

If you want to be real, let's admit that there is nothing "underground" about the East Coast either, and places like NYC and Philly are just California 2.0.

If you want that real realness, go to the midwest or another country (excluding spain).
[close]

What about Boston?
[close]

This. midwest is where you will find real skaters.
[close]
That's not quite what I meant. Obviously, any real skater who dedicates themselves completely to the art will move to one of the west coast meccas like SD, LA, or SF, while the rest of you half-assers complain about how the skateboard meccas need to move to you instead of the other way around.
What I meant is if you want to see original/non-blown out spots and underground skaters who rip but nobody has heard of, the east coast is about as bad as the west coast is.

Besides, SF spots are by far the most fun to watch. the GX1000 video didn't sell out immedately because it was a bunch of boring school yards. SF hills are gnarly, the skaters go faster, and the spots they skate can't be found anywhere else on Earth.

i think the issue is that the large majority of (So)Cali spots look super sterile on film. Most pros in SoCal aren't really trying to go out and discover new spots either, it seems. Skaters move to California not because the spots are better, but because there are more skaters, more opportunities, more known spots, and better weather -- essentially, they think "real skateboarding" will be easily accessible. Living in the Midwest, that is very attractive to kids. And most spots that are staples of the Cali skate video scene just don't look that interesting to me personally. That's why I agree with you, Gip. The GX1000 vid was an amazing example of how to make a good Cali skate video. Find new spots, break geographical-cultural skate convention, and also skate GOOD.

I thought this part was pertinent to the convo. Beautiful midwest crust. <3

EDIT: another relevant midwest part. **Berrics Warning**
http://theberrics.com/gen-ops-ben-hess-house-of-hamburgers/
« Last Edit: September 03, 2016, 11:41:23 AM by CreepySweaty »

Gideon Choi

• Rep: 33
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2016, 09:43:33 AM »
And then Made Chapter 2 drops, which is mostly filmed in SoCal.

Supreme fan boys butthurt right now

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2016, 01:36:41 PM »

I thought that was kinda interesting. Considering most of the lineup were older dudes (Reynolds, Spanly, Jerry, including Minor) it almost seemed like they were working a nine to five office job, never having time to leave California. Obviously this is untrue, but I did think it was an interesting choice on their part. So many schoolyard lines, got kinda stale after the 45th blacktop line IMO.

Gideon Choi

• Rep: 33
« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2016, 03:08:34 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I thought that was kinda interesting. Considering most of the lineup were older dudes (Reynolds, Spanly, Jerry, including Minor) it almost seemed like they were working a nine to five office job, never having time to leave California. Obviously this is untrue, but I did think it was an interesting choice on their part. So many schoolyard lines, got kinda stale after the 45th blacktop line IMO.

Yeah, Dylan's Cherry part definitely got stale considering 47% of all his footage was filmed on blacktop schoolyards