Author Topic: Skate 4 - Make EA Skate Again  (Read 6996 times)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 99
  • Fully Flared! coming November 16th 2007
Re: Skate 4 - Make EA Skate Again
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2016, 04:12:30 AM »

The map in OG skate was the best by far. Everything just flowed so well. I'd be down for an HD remake with all the features of skate 3
Yeah I swear a different team developed the first skate. The graphics, clothes, music, and animations were all better along with the overall map. They just need to update the replay camera angles and add the ability to walk up stairs.

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2016, 09:04:23 AM »
as much as I hate to admit it, i find myself agreeing with Berra for the first time

tortfeasor

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2016, 12:01:08 PM »
The map in OG skate was the best by far. Everything just flowed so well. I'd be down for an HD remake with all the features of skate 3

i've been saying for years that a full remaster with all the maps accessible by a "train system" would be fucking cash. 
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2016, 12:03:57 PM »
Has anybody mentioned that EA does NOT own the controller system? The guy who came up with it licensed it to them. He still owns it. That's the main thing people liked about the game and they don't need EA to do it, they need that guy.

tobey

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 5
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2016, 12:14:02 PM »
Has anybody mentioned that EA does NOT own the controller system? The guy who came up with it licensed it to them. He still owns it. That's the main thing people liked about the game and they don't need EA to do it, they need that guy.

Guess i know why that project session game looks so damn confusing with their controls

masturskater

• Rep: 20
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2016, 05:23:05 AM »
Can you really patent a control scheme? That doesn't sound right.

The game is less the controls and more of the video game physics engine. I talked to the devs and they said they did get the controls working at early stages. With only a text prompt to indicate the "trick" successfully executed. They talked about how stoked they were when they managed to get it to a point where it was challenging but consistent.

I still believe this is purely some guerrilla underground marketing campaign. Get the kids riled up about it then become the hero that gave the people what they want.

shit_for_brains

« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2016, 05:36:48 AM »

The game is less the controls and more of the video game physics engine. I talked to the devs and they said they did get the controls working at early stages. With only a text prompt to indicate the "trick" successfully executed. They talked about how stoked they were when they managed to get it to a point where it was challenging but consistent.

I still believe this is purely some guerrilla underground marketing campaign. Get the kids riled up about it then become the hero that gave the people what they want.

I don't know that he exactly patented it or whatever, but it's a proprietary controller system and you can definitely... make something like that yours? for lack of a better term. Tons of games have that. It's no different that Dance Dance Revolution having their proprietary system (not talking about the gamepad itself). I know a handful of the original blackbox devs and producers and me saying that comes directly from them and the guy who owns the system so I take their word on it.

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2016, 11:16:41 AM »

Namco patented minigames during load sequences. So it's not out of the question that someone could have patented a control scheme.

Pavementi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -146
  • Fuck it
« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2016, 07:04:16 PM »

Absolutely. It was a unique control system, that made the game what it was.

If Apple can win 120 million dollars for patenting swipe to unlock... For reference: https://www.google.com/amp/s/9to5mac.com/2016/10/07/samsung-apple-120-million-court-slide-to-unlock-patent/amp/?client=safari
Like Daewon said: if skateboarding is a ten story building, Rodney is on eleventh floor.

Tko788

• Rep: -20
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2016, 01:07:46 PM »
EA is clearly not interested is skate 4.

These guys are trying to make a no-nonsense skateboarding game. It's still in development and is slowly making progress, but slow motion is better than no motion.
not sure of how to post pictures but here's a link of the controls, so far:

https://www.facebook.com/actionofcreate/photos/a.577378119083088.1073741828.372019612952274/998862153601347/?type=3&theater

It's a small start-up in Canada that's putting this together. What i like is they're actively responding to suggestions and ideas, like actually catching the board instead of just doing tricks higher.

Edit: ok so some people know about this already, but still. I'm willing to take my chance on these guys rather than EA make skate 4 worse than skate 3... 3 games and couldnt figure out how to include impossibles? Rubbish.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 01:12:06 PM by Tko788 »

tobey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2016, 03:43:39 PM »
^ I rather have project session but the people saying that this just looks like an EA marketing scheme is looking right. I don't understand after all these years the berrics does this now. EA probably saw all those comments of kids repeatedly saying make skate 4 (before this whole shit) and decided now is the time. They probably just want to know for sure people will buy this shit. Hence the whole instagram account, probably to track how many people (followers) will buy a skate 4

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 149
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2016, 04:05:32 PM »
^ I rather have project session but the people saying that this just looks like an EA marketing scheme is looking right. I don't understand after all these years the berrics does this now. EA probably saw all those comments of kids repeatedly saying make skate 4 (before this whole shit) and decided now is the time. They probably just want to know for sure people will buy this shit. Hence the whole instagram account, probably to track how many people (followers) will buy a skate 4

Probably due to the advent of Twitch and people having online comps...I bet Berra wants to make an online version of the Berrics contests, I could even imagine him making an online SLS version contest...cringes will come with SKate 4 if Berra is behind the scenes

doyle

• Rep: 214
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2016, 04:17:55 PM »
EA has nothing to do with this, guaranteed.

tobey

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2016, 05:00:57 PM »

Then why not put a stop to it? They could probably easily get that whole account removed or just post something on their social media saying "Even with all these demands we are just not interested in another Skate game". Then majority of people clogging up their posts with that stupid hashtag would stop.

It just doesn't make sense no matter how you look at this. Could be berra being that fucking lame and trying to get more people to visit his website, or berra being that lame and making it seemed like he saved the day for us having another Skate game.

doyle

« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2016, 07:45:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Then why not put a stop to it? They could probably easily get that whole account removed or just post something on their social media saying "Even with all these demands we are just not interested in another Skate game". Then majority of people clogging up their posts with that stupid hashtag would stop.

It just doesn't make sense no matter how you look at this. Could be berra being that fucking lame and trying to get more people to visit his website, or berra being that lame and making it seemed like he saved the day for us having another Skate game.
I don't know why EA's letting this all happen. I agree that it's strange. I'm just saying that EA is not behind/a part of this whole Berrics thing.

ice nine

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -308
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2016, 12:58:50 PM »
^why do you say that. seems suspicious that berra would just pick this up and run with it for no apparent reason.

i dont even care if steve tries to claim its his doing, whatever helps him sleep at night. i just want a new skate game
I;m sure i;m not the only dc/monster/subaru type guy here

shit_for_brains

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2016, 01:05:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Why on Earth would any company put time, money, and resources into announcing that they aren't making something? Especially one that was voted most hated for a few years in a row. It's in their best interests to let the internet eat itself with theories.

doyle

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2016, 03:11:35 PM »
^why do you say that. seems suspicious that berra would just pick this up and run with it for no apparent reason.

i dont even care if steve tries to claim its his doing, whatever helps him sleep at night. i just want a new skate game
I just know for a fact that the Berrics (more specifically Chase) has reached out to people who worked on the original games for info. Why would they do this if EA was behind it?

Albatross

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2016, 05:19:39 PM »
often when franchises get slept on then rebooted without the original dev team its a disaster

a similar thing happened with amped 2 which was an amazing snowboarding game but got dropped when the subsidiary company that made it went under but the rights to some of the franchises were bought based on the opinions of out of touch execs (not unlike black box).

when they were surprised by amped 2 sales, they rushed out amped 3 which was a steaming pile of garbage... this is the exact climate skate 4 is facing.

our best bet is just to wait for a new IP

Pretender

• Rep: -2
« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2016, 08:33:36 PM »
I just want to play Skate on my ps4, they should put it on PS Now or something. I should never have sold my ps3 :'(

Choad Muskrat

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 522
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2016, 09:45:37 PM »
often when franchises get slept on then rebooted without the original dev team its a disaster

a similar thing happened with amped 2 which was an amazing snowboarding game but got dropped when the subsidiary company that made it went under but the rights to some of the franchises were bought based on the opinions of out of touch execs (not unlike black box).

when they were surprised by amped 2 sales, they rushed out amped 3 which was a steaming pile of garbage... this is the exact climate skate 4 is facing.

our best bet is just to wait for a new IP

can confirm, amped 2 was amazing amped 3 was so fucking bad it was laughable

it was because they changed the control scheme

lets hope EA pays dude w the control patent and make this shit happen

Koozin

• Rep: -19
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2016, 02:08:35 AM »
That fucker is only interested so he can profit off some $10.99 Berrics DLC pack

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2016, 08:23:40 AM »
I just want to play Skate on my ps4, they should put it on PS Now or something. I should never have sold my ps3 :'(

I still have my PS3 and I play it more than my PS4

Berky

• Rep: -19
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2016, 11:34:33 AM »
i gave my 360 away and I've been suffering a skate withdrawal for about 4 months now

Pretender

• Rep: -2
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2016, 05:01:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My PS4 is literally $400 a Netflix machine at the moment. I should downgrade to a PS3, Skate is the only game I actually crave playing

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2016, 05:37:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

My PS4 is literally $400 a Netflix machine at the moment. I should downgrade to a PS3, Skate is the only game I actually crave playing

lol for the most part my ps4 is too... the games are still to expensive for me, I got a used copy of Alien Isolation for $30 and the Uncharted Collection for $50 and those are the only games I play.  I wanted to get GTA 5 but $60 is too much for me to eat for just one game.

stone cold steve austin

• Rep: -84
« Reply #56 on: October 21, 2016, 03:35:30 AM »
i used to like making my skater fat cause it was funny but now i'm fat so i actually look like my old character