Author Topic: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)  (Read 102539 times)

youacop and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355
EDIT: What once started out as a question about backpacks is now a general discussion thread about all things VX!

Greetings my PALS

I just got my first vx1000 (stoked!) and am now looking to get a backpack for it.

From the research I have done it seems like these two bags are good options?

1) Canon 200eg (https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Deluxe-Backpack-200EG-Cameras/dp/B00009R6TA)

2) Lowepro Mini Trekker (https://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Mini-Trekker-AW-Black/dp/B00009R85Z)

But any suggestions/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 07:08:40 AM by mattchew »
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

Andrefosho

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 146
Re: VX1000 backpack recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 11:53:02 AM »
I commend your efforts to protect valuable equipment.

However, my homie just wraps it in tshirt or old hoody and carries in his eastpak backpak. No specialty bags.

I mean, choose the bag which catches your eye, rugged materials, plenty internal of padding, is comfortable to wear. Consider also room for laptop and other media peripherals.

BrunsdOut17

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 12:12:26 PM »
I commend your efforts to protect valuable equipment.

However, my homie just wraps it in tshirt or old hoody and carries in his eastpak backpak. No specialty bags.

I mean, choose the bag which catches your eye, rugged materials, plenty internal of padding, is comfortable to wear. Consider also room for laptop and other media peripherals.

Guwop

• Rep: 76
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 12:24:31 PM »
A hoody in a bag works well but I use this it fits a vx perfectly length ways and fits batteries tapes and a light in the sides real snug

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 12:42:55 PM »
Those bags you posted look good, don't have a suggestion either way. What I do recommend is to actually get one of these bags.

The sweatshirt method is a huge pain in the ass. if you want to throw batteries, tapes, lens papers/tissues, a blowbrush, etc. in the bag, everything will get mixed up and require you to rip the bag apart (or you put it in the unpadded front pocket, and if you slam those batteries can crack). I've done it temporarily when a zipper broke on my camera bag over the years and it sucks. Not to mention the amount of lint you are exposing the camera to - this can slowly work it's way into the vap unit (housing for the series of lenses).
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 12:45:56 PM by happenstance »

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 12:53:06 PM »
Those bags you posted look good, don't have a suggestion either way. What I do recommend is to actually get one of these bags.

The sweatshirt method is a huge pain in the ass. if you want to throw batteries, tapes, lens papers/tissues, a blowbrush, etc. in the bag, everything will get mixed up and require you to rip the bag apart (or you put it in the unpadded front pocket, and if you slam those batteries can crack). I've done it temporarily when a zipper broke on my camera bag over the years and it sucks. Not to mention the amount of lint you are exposing the camera to - this can slowly work it's way into the vap unit.

Protection is the main priority, obviously, but honestly the organizational factor of the camera bag is fucking huge to me, haha.
Thanks for the input everyone!

Also, happenstance, not trying to kiss butt but Pathways was fucking sick.

One more (unrelated) question: I need a light! Any suggestions on that front?

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 01:22:37 PM »

i use this "ogio atiba mini" for my vx1000.
it's pretty good. so no complaints from me.

Pappy Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 152
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 01:30:45 PM »
I do not recommend the sweatshirt in a backpack method. That eventually broke the front element in kne of my old cameras and I had to get it repaired.
I have a nice organized pack but honestly prefer to just hold the camera and keep an extra tape etc. in my back pocket. Especially if I'm just skating around a city all day. I end up getting better footage and not missing certain things by spending all the time stopping in my tracks and unpacking

GOKU

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 113
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 01:33:02 PM »
Got a real nice reliable one at the Fancy Lad house, I'll try to remember to take a look and see what brand it is. I think it may be a Targus?

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 01:39:52 PM »
OGIO Clark Pack

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 02:26:45 PM »
Expand Quote

The sweatshirt method is a huge pain in the ass. if you want to throw batteries, tapes, lens papers/tissues, a blowbrush, etc. in the bag, everything will get mixed up and require you to rip the bag apart (or you put it in the unpadded front pocket, and if you slam those batteries can crack). I've done it temporarily when a zipper broke on my camera bag over the years and it sucks. Not to mention the amount of lint you are exposing the camera to - this can slowly work it's way into the vap unit.
[close]

Protection is the main priority, obviously, but honestly the organizational factor of the camera bag is fucking huge to me, haha.

Thanks! I really do appreciate the kind words.

For camera light, I use the Frezzi mini-fill:

The color of the light is warmer and it disperses better than LED cam lights. At the same time, it is a total pain in the ass. Chord can get in the way and you have to carry around the battery packs. If you want to go this route, I have a few suggestions:

-Get batteries between 2-4 pounds (anything bigger sucks). 3 of them should be more than enough for any night of filming.
-Keep the batteries in a backpack. When you film, wear the backpack with the 1 battery you are using (rather than using the strap).
-Tape the chord to the top of the viewfinder when you film and put the connection between the battery and the light in your pocket (just prevents the chord from getting tangled in anything).

... Or just get an LED. I might be a little stuck on the technology I grew up with. All the footage I am seeing where people have a light in their hand and one on the camera looks pretty good.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 03:49:06 PM by happenstance »

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 02:30:02 PM »
Its called a garbage can, and its perfect for all obsolete, 20 year old, image doesn't fit properly on the screen, need special shit just to import it onto modern computer, worse image than what you can get on an iphone, electronics.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 03:07:26 PM »
Why the fuck would anyone just throw their camera in a bag with a sweatshirt? lol, Definitely do not recommend that. I had the canon backpack the OP posted and I can say it worked perfectly for me. I would say buying a backpack is subjective to you. They're all pretty good for the most part but people like/dislike certain points about different brands and so on.

As for lights, I really like this one:

Lightweight, and easy to fit in a bag. Takes VX batteries too so that will be a time saver (Just buy one more battery).

(EDIT: i think the camera light model number is HVL-20DW2)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 03:09:38 PM by MintySandwhich »

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2016, 03:44:51 PM »
Its called a garbage can, and its perfect for all obsolete, 20 year old, image doesn't fit properly on the screen, need special shit just to import it onto modern computer, worse image than what you can get on an iphone, electronics.

Obviously you're a notorious troll (and this debate has been beaten to death) but even just looking at the past two years illuminates the fact that the VX is, and will continue to be, absolutely relevant for making skate videos. Gold standard.

Static IV & V
Sabotage 3, 4, and soon to be 5
GX1000
Isle - Vase
Polar - Promo's, and I Like It Here...

The list goes on.

I like HD stuff too, but saying that the VX doesn't look good/iPhones are better is insane. Get a grip Gip!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 04:04:26 PM by mattchew »

White Owl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2016, 04:30:04 PM »
If you just need space for a VX,fisheye, and maybe a camera light i'd suggest this bag. I have the canon bag you posted and its not the best, my friend has this bag though, and its smaller so it fits the vx better. It is pretty snug which i think keeps it better protected

Lowepro flipside 200
https://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Flipside-DSLR-Camera-Backpack/dp/B000YA1DS4/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1477351617&sr=1-1&keywords=flipside+200

Dontfearthereefer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -232
  • Head kook
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 05:59:29 PM »

Do you even skate? Fuckin grumpy old man

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 06:09:27 PM »
lower pro or what ever the fuck is called, they make really good backpacks. I have this unit to haul my vx's. It fits 2 1000's and ontop it has this zipper, fits all of my 9 batteries, 2 film cameras, a box of tapes, and my LED light. It fits tight, but its tight. Also has pockets all along the sides, and its water proof. Its pretty expensive or at least when I got it, it was. But thing is great.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 06:10:51 PM »

chongo ass comment.

Foray

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
  • Miglios
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2016, 06:16:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Thanks! I really do appreciate the kind words.

For camera light, I use the Frezzi mini-fill:

The color of the light is warmer and it disperses better than LED cam lights. At the same time, it is a total pain in the ass. Chord can get in the way and you have to carry around the battery packs. If you want to go this route, I have a few suggestions:

-Get batteries between 2-4 pounds (anything bigger sucks). 3 of them should be more than enough for any night of filming.
-Keep the batteries in a backpack. When you film, wear the backpack with the 1 battery you are using (rather than using the strap).
-Tape the chord to the top of the viewfinder when you film and put the connection between the battery and the light in your pocket (just prevents the chord from getting tangled in anything).

... Or just get an LED. I might be a little stuck on the technology I grew up with. All the footage I am seeing where people have a light in their hand and one on the camera looks pretty good.

Been thinking of getting a Frezzi light, sent you a pm with some questions if you have time.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2016, 06:27:31 PM »
Why the fuck would anyone just throw their camera in a bag with a sweatshirt? lol, Definitely do not recommend that. I had the canon backpack the OP posted and I can say it worked perfectly for me. I would say buying a backpack is subjective to you. They're all pretty good for the most part but people like/dislike certain points about different brands and so on.

As for lights, I really like this one:

Lightweight, and easy to fit in a bag. Takes VX batteries too so that will be a time saver (Just buy one more battery).

(EDIT: i think the camera light model number is HVL-20DW2)

These are cheap and nice for a light, and it uses VX bats, and double A bats.
https://www.amazon.com/NEEWER%C2%AE-Dimmable-Digital-Camcorder-Panasonic/dp/B004TJ6JH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1477358615&sr=8-1&keywords=camera+light

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2016, 06:57:05 PM »
Some super good info/tips in here, thank you all so much.

Should I change the title of this thread and just make this a general VX discussion thread?
I dunno about y'all but I'm a fuckin noob and could definitely benefit from that/just like nerding out about gear and shit.
Discussion/advice is always cool to me, would others enjoy/benefit from that?

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2016, 09:30:47 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Obviously you're a notorious troll (and this debate has been beaten to death) but even just looking at the past two years illuminates the fact that the VX is, and will continue to be, absolutely relevant for making skate videos. Gold standard.

Static IV & V
GX1000
Isle - Vase

The list goes on.

I like HD stuff too, but saying that the VX doesn't look good/iPhones are better is insane. Get a grip Gip!
Static IV and V were hd and the rest used them for art house bullshit effect. People hold onto it because when hd came out filmers were hella bummed they threw 3 grand on camera set ups that were useless unless they hyped them up. The fact is, if you aren't somebody who is well established and you submit a vx edit to a media outlet or clips to a company filming a video, they aren't going to be stoked on your choice of format.
The image quality is low compared to cameras that didn't come out 20 years ago, they don't look right on hdtvs, and modern editing software isn't made for them because while vx's were once the standard, everybody but a cult of sentimental skate nerds have moved on. If you want toargue that film looks better, fine, but minidv isn't film, it's an obsolete format that was a stepping stone to modern digital video.
Even Beagle dropped the vx to go digital. There's no actual logical argument for the vx at this point. It's not a stereo vs mono debate between cds and records, it's more like avoiding listening to cassettes because you have a super fancy 8 track stereo.
And only the dumb new kids think I'm a troll, I'm actually just outspoken as hell and one of the only sources of original thought in an increasingly homogenous message board. I mean, just look at the weak but angry responses to my opinion, no rhyme or reason behind them, just angry insults because my perspective breaks with convention.

Garth Marenghi

« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2016, 11:20:01 PM »
I'm actually just outspoken as hell and one of the only sources of original thought in an increasingly homogenous message board.

alraunen

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
    • www.davidcampillo.net avatar image
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2016, 12:12:57 AM »
I'm a Professional photographer and I had more than 6 backpacks in the last 15 years, if you want to protect your stuff go always for Lowepro. The heaviest impact was a time that the backpack fall from the roof of the car to the floor, 5D Mk II + 5 lenses and a macbook pro were saved that day...

Now I have this set:

Lowepro Pro Runner 450 - Probably this huge for a VX1000 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0036B67B6/ref=twister_B014Q4KBHM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

And the Lowepro Photo Hatchback 22L - https://www.amazon.com/Lowepro-Photo-Hatchback-Camera-Backpack/dp/B008OQUX22/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1477379047&sr=8-5&keywords=lowepro

If your VX1000 can fit there I think that it's the best choice you can do, it's half camera backpack, half regular backpack. you can only take off the equipment from the back and the camera department is removable so if you need you can use it without it.

Cheers!

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2016, 12:14:37 AM »
I've got the Amazon Basics camera bag, cheap and very good !
I've been using it for 1 year now and everything is OK.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Backpack-DSLR-Cameras-Accessories/dp/B002VPE1WK/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1477379339&sr=1-1&keywords=amazon+basics+camera+bag
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
« Reply #25 on: October 25, 2016, 01:25:32 AM »
as for the camera-light i also recommend you to buy one that uses vx-akkus. it saves a lot of time and space/weight. just buy an extra one, they hold up really long and always using alkaline batteries is much more expensive. you need about 6 of those fuckers and they'll be empty after 1 or 2 hours.
i have this yongnuo camera-light and i am very happy with it. really bright and the light isn't too cold/white. it wasnt expensive either
http://www.amazon.com/Yongnuo-YN-160S-Panasonic-Samsung-Camcorder/dp/B00IN4981C/ref=sr_1_1?s=photo&ie=UTF8&qid=1477383683&sr=1-1&keywords=yongnuo+yn+160+s

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2016, 01:57:32 AM »
Some super good info/tips in here, thank you all so much.

Should I change the title of this thread and just make this a general VX discussion thread?
I dunno about y'all but I'm a fuckin noob and could definitely benefit from that/just like nerding out about gear and shit.
Discussion/advice is always cool to me, would others enjoy/benefit from that?

Def change it to that title, a lot more people with questions will click on it. I am not saying I know everything about vx's but I do know a lot and It might be helpful to others. Since SP was shut down that is no longer a source of answers for peoples questions.

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #27 on: October 25, 2016, 06:32:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Static IV & V
GX1000
Isle - Vase

The list goes on.

[close]
Static IV and V were hd

Pump the breaks right out of the gate, buckaroo.

Is the new vid filmed entirely in VX or is there HD?

The whole video is a combination of VX-1000 and 16mm footage. I?m not specifically anti-HD but I think that VX showcases street skating, in the style of a Static video, the best way. And the Static series has been VX from the beginning and I think it lends itself better towards creating a classic ?east coast? vibe.

Source: https://kingpinmag.com/features/josh-stewart-static-iv-interview.html#uRvGf7vokVFgh85F.97

scaryghoul

• Rep: -8
« Reply #28 on: October 25, 2016, 08:30:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Static IV & V
GX1000
Isle - Vase

The list goes on.

[close]
Static IV and V were hd and the rest used them for art house bullshit effect. People hold onto it because when hd came out filmers were hella bummed they threw 3 grand on camera set ups that were useless unless they hyped them up. The fact is, if you aren't somebody who is well established and you submit a vx edit to a media outlet or clips to a company filming a video, they aren't going to be stoked on your choice of format.
The image quality is low compared to cameras that didn't come out 20 years ago, they don't look right on hdtvs, and modern editing software isn't made for them because while vx's were once the standard, everybody but a cult of sentimental skate nerds have moved on. If you want toargue that film looks better, fine, but minidv isn't film, it's an obsolete format that was a stepping stone to modern digital video.
Even Beagle dropped the vx to go digital. There's no actual logical argument for the vx at this point. It's not a stereo vs mono debate between cds and records, it's more like avoiding listening to cassettes because you have a super fancy 8 track stereo.
And only the dumb new kids think I'm a troll, I'm actually just outspoken as hell and one of the only sources of original thought in an increasingly homogenous message board. I mean, just look at the weak but angry responses to my opinion, no rhyme or reason behind them, just angry insults because my perspective breaks with convention.

ccds vs cmos man

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2016, 09:03:10 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm actually just outspoken as hell and one of the only sources of original thought in an increasingly homogenous message board.
[close]

You realize that your response proves my point more than it refutes it right?

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Static IV & V
GX1000
Isle - Vase

The list goes on.

[close]
Static IV and V were hd
[close]

Pump the breaks right out of the gate, buckaroo.

Is the new vid filmed entirely in VX or is there HD?

The whole video is a combination of VX-1000 and 16mm footage. I?m not specifically anti-HD but I think that VX showcases street skating, in the style of a Static video, the best way. And the Static series has been VX from the beginning and I think it lends itself better towards creating a classic ?east coast? vibe.

Source: https://kingpinmag.com/features/josh-stewart-static-iv-interview.html#uRvGf7vokVFgh85F.97
Hmm, look at that. Its been a while since I saw those videos, either way, I think the static videos clearly qualify in the arthouse skate video category.