Author Topic: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)  (Read 102611 times)

concerned_parent

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 281
Re: VX1000 backpack recommendations?
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2016, 09:54:22 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Its called a garbage can, and its perfect for all obsolete, 20 year old, image doesn't fit properly on the screen, need special shit just to import it onto modern computer, worse image than what you can get on an iphone, electronics.
[close]

Obviously you're a notorious troll (and this debate has been beaten to death) but even just looking at the past two years illuminates the fact that the VX is, and will continue to be, absolutely relevant for making skate videos. Gold standard.

Static IV & V
Sabotage 3, 4, and soon to be 5
GX1000
Isle - Vase
Polar - Promo's, and I Like It Here...

The list goes on.

I like HD stuff too, but saying that the VX doesn't look good/iPhones are better is insane. Get a grip Gip!
[close]
Static IV and V were hd
[close]

Pump the breaks right out of the gate, buckaroo.

Is the new vid filmed entirely in VX or is there HD?

The whole video is a combination of VX-1000 and 16mm footage. I?m not specifically anti-HD but I think that VX showcases street skating, in the style of a Static video, the best way. And the Static series has been VX from the beginning and I think it lends itself better towards creating a classic ?east coast? vibe.

Source: https://kingpinmag.com/features/josh-stewart-static-iv-interview.html#uRvGf7vokVFgh85F.97
Hmm, look at that. Its been a while since I saw those videos, either way, I think the static videos clearly qualify in the arthouse skate video category.
[/quote]

and arthouse won video of the year.
good come sausage

natenola forever

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2016, 10:57:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm actually just outspoken as hell and one of the only sources of original thought in an increasingly homogenous message board.
[close]

[close]
You realize that your response proves my point more than it refutes it right?

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Its called a garbage can, and its perfect for all obsolete, 20 year old, image doesn't fit properly on the screen, need special shit just to import it onto modern computer, worse image than what you can get on an iphone, electronics.
[close]

Obviously you're a notorious troll (and this debate has been beaten to death) but even just looking at the past two years illuminates the fact that the VX is, and will continue to be, absolutely relevant for making skate videos. Gold standard.

Static IV & V
GX1000
Isle - Vase

The list goes on.

I like HD stuff too, but saying that the VX doesn't look good/iPhones are better is insane. Get a grip Gip!
[close]
Static IV and V were hd
[close]

Pump the breaks right out of the gate, buckaroo.

Is the new vid filmed entirely in VX or is there HD?

The whole video is a combination of VX-1000 and 16mm footage. I?m not specifically anti-HD but I think that VX showcases street skating, in the style of a Static video, the best way. And the Static series has been VX from the beginning and I think it lends itself better towards creating a classic ?east coast? vibe.

Source: https://kingpinmag.com/features/josh-stewart-static-iv-interview.html#uRvGf7vokVFgh85F.97
[close]
Hmm, look at that. Its been a while since I saw those videos, either way, I think the static videos clearly qualify in the arthouse skate video category.
Static Iv and V are most VX and film but theres a few HD clips in there, def in Aaron Harrington's part. The cmos vs. CCD argument is pointless cuz the Panasonic HVX and HPX are HD CCD cameras. Whats kinda funny with the HVX you can set it up to shoot standard def and run it as a VX that records on card.

shitdick22

• Rep: 1
anyone got any cheap battery recommendations?

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Static 4 and 5 are definitely 100% VX and 16mm. If anything is looking HD to you, that is just because the vast majority of people making VX videos these days are using incorrect export settings and Josh's stuff just looks so much better in comparison.

Tell me a clip you think is in HD. I will totally check out the video tonight and would love to be proven wrong.

Charbroil

Static 4 and 5 are definitely 100% VX and 16mm. If anything is looking HD to you, that is just because the vast majority of people making VX videos these days are using incorrect export settings and Josh's stuff just looks so much better in comparison.

Tell me a clip you think is in HD. I will totally check out the video tonight and would love to be proven wrong.

Stewart said some of the train shots / intro were HVX200.  ;)

neil.

how do you guys go about capturing the footage?

put the tape in some other mini dv capture cam and just import it with firewire?

and do you guys playback the clip on the capcam to show the skater how the clip came out, (therefore rewinding and playback a clip) or do you simply import everything at once when the tape is complete?

shitdick22

• Rep: 1

put the tape in some other mini dv capture cam and just import it with firewire?

and do you guys playback the clip on the capcam to show the skater how the clip came out, (therefore rewinding and playback a clip) or do you simply import everything at once when the tape is complete?

import everything with a capcam. My capcam only works plugged into a wall so the first one isnt an option for me.

gnidraobetaks

• Rep: 20
n3wbs... real men film TRV

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128

^^ Yeah a capture cam should be used so you don't rerun your heads on your VX. If you really wish to see the trick at the spot after you filmed it, use your phone to record through the viewfinder and use the skip/seek buttons to replay it once and watch as many times as you want on your phone.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image

Yea I would love to see those HD clips in Static haha. But for real that video is all vx and 16m just like he said.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
anyone got any cheap battery recommendations?

These are the cheapest ones I have found, and they fit in your VX no modification to do
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RKVDTNC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can find some without those grooves on the side, and rip off the plastic housing. It looks really ghetto but I have about 3 batts like that, they work great. Just have to do a little diy to them

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image

I have one of these. And its really awesome. Took it on a trip to SF and its really convenient just pop the tape in and save your heads on your vx. Or else they will be smoked mashing the fast forward and rewind. But those guys run for like 400/500$. I got lucky and got it from my old high school after I graduated. But if you are really serious its the best way to do it.

Also like  minty said. Edit/search film through the viewfinder with your iphone if YOU have to. But for real save your money and your heads. Its not cheap to get the heads cleaned.

reptar_bar

• Rep: -7
I have the canon 200eg and it fits everything but isn't extrmemly comfy. But it's good for the cost. I just throw my vx2 in a bag with a Tshirt like somebody mentioned earlier because I don't really care about it, but I keep my vx1 in a camera bag all the time. Everyone argueing about sd vs hd is stupid, just as cringey as people argueing over video game consoles. Sd is sick and can be shit. Hd is also sick, and also can be shit. It all depends who's behind and in front of the camera and editing the footage. I like watching both but I have a lot more fun filming vx then using a DSLR. Too broke for a $3000 fisheye for the panasonic hd cams so I won't be converting anytime soon. That's my 2 cents

neil.

Expand Quote

[close]

I have one of these. And its really awesome. Took it on a trip to SF and its really convenient just pop the tape in and save your heads on your vx. Or else they will be smoked mashing the fast forward and rewind. But those guys run for like 400/500$. I got lucky and got it from my old high school after I graduated. But if you are really serious its the best way to do it.

Also like  minty said. Edit/search film through the viewfinder with your iphone if YOU have to. But for real save your money and your heads. Its not cheap to get the heads cleaned.

yeah i saw one of those machines up on vx1000market

i dont know how to playback on my vx, its a jap. one that ive had for 5 months.

i never brought the cap cam to a session i just film and then i go home and import everything in one go.

so is it better off to import the full 60 minutes, cause what i do right now is go film, and import the 15 min i got, go film an other day, and simply import the 20 min from that day.

thanks a lot for the info.

gnidraobetaks

First you pour boiling hot water into the tape deck on your camera to sterilize and remove any pesky dust or bacteria that may ruin your tape.

Next make sure to press the rewind and fast forward buttons alternating back and fourth every three seconds or so; it helps warm up the noggins of your camera so that they respond properly. complete this step for roughly 3 mins.

You will need to download AVID media composer 8, it is the only program that will allow you to capture dv footage and convert it to 8k 7680X4320

Plug in your VX with your HDMI cable

Open avid and create a new sequence.

Open the title tool. This is where you will name and capture your footage.

A grid pattern should show up with all the thumbnails of your clips.

When ready to capture a clip press OPTION + COMMAND +ESC. A window should show up. Propmply click on the AVID Button and press enter.

It gets easier as you do it a couple times. GOOD LUCK!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 08:14:32 PM by gnidraobetaks »

gnidraobetaks

Expand Quote

[close]

Stewart said some of the train shots / intro were HVX200.  ;)

If you want to be a bubble burster, 16 mil from yale or cinelab comes post processed as Pro-Res 422 1920x1080p.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 08:47:18 PM by gnidraobetaks »

RTBFTR

« Reply #46 on: October 25, 2016, 10:32:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Static IV & V
GX1000
Isle - Vase

The list goes on.

[close]
Static IV and V were hd and the rest used them for art house bullshit effect. People hold onto it because when hd came out filmers were hella bummed they threw 3 grand on camera set ups that were useless unless they hyped them up. The fact is, if you aren't somebody who is well established and you submit a vx edit to a media outlet or clips to a company filming a video, they aren't going to be stoked on your choice of format.
The image quality is low compared to cameras that didn't come out 20 years ago, they don't look right on hdtvs, and modern editing software isn't made for them because while vx's were once the standard, everybody but a cult of sentimental skate nerds have moved on. If you want toargue that film looks better, fine, but minidv isn't film, it's an obsolete format that was a stepping stone to modern digital video.
Even Beagle dropped the vx to go digital. There's no actual logical argument for the vx at this point. It's not a stereo vs mono debate between cds and records, it's more like avoiding listening to cassettes because you have a super fancy 8 track stereo.
And only the dumb new kids think I'm a troll, I'm actually just outspoken as hell and one of the only sources of original thought in an increasingly homogenous message board. I mean, just look at the weak but angry responses to my opinion, no rhyme or reason behind them, just angry insults because my perspective breaks with convention.

Skateboarding can be filmed on ANY camera. The vx1000 is outdated yes, but it is fun to film with and fun to watch. Slap is outdated but that doesn't make it shit.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image

Naww its just the intro to static 2 was filmed HD. He said it in an interview. Only HD shit

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -937
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #48 on: October 26, 2016, 09:05:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Static IV & V
GX1000
Isle - Vase

The list goes on.

[close]
Static IV and V were hd and the rest used them for art house bullshit effect. People hold onto it because when hd came out filmers were hella bummed they threw 3 grand on camera set ups that were useless unless they hyped them up. The fact is, if you aren't somebody who is well established and you submit a vx edit to a media outlet or clips to a company filming a video, they aren't going to be stoked on your choice of format.
The image quality is low compared to cameras that didn't come out 20 years ago, they don't look right on hdtvs, and modern editing software isn't made for them because while vx's were once the standard, everybody but a cult of sentimental skate nerds have moved on. If you want toargue that film looks better, fine, but minidv isn't film, it's an obsolete format that was a stepping stone to modern digital video.
Even Beagle dropped the vx to go digital. There's no actual logical argument for the vx at this point. It's not a stereo vs mono debate between cds and records, it's more like avoiding listening to cassettes because you have a super fancy 8 track stereo.
And only the dumb new kids think I'm a troll, I'm actually just outspoken as hell and one of the only sources of original thought in an increasingly homogenous message board. I mean, just look at the weak but angry responses to my opinion, no rhyme or reason behind them, just angry insults because my perspective breaks with convention.
[close]

Skateboarding can be filmed on ANY camera. The vx1000 is outdated yes, but it is fun to film with and fun to watch. Slap is outdated but that doesn't make it shit.
Well, yeah, but obviously it doesn't all look the same. If you want to overpay for a low quality image, go ahead and waste your money on that obsolete bullshit.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

happenstance

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.

Never stop flying Gip.

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
This is such a tired debate, just like Trump vs Hilliary

I don't wanna fuckin hear it anymore.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
Bullshit. The Trump vs. Hillary debate will end in two weeks...

Casey Jones

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -53
who fuckin cares jesus.

It's a matter of personal taste. Like anything. Making skate videos is art. There are different tools and mediums. Some people use paint, some people use pastel, some people use pencils, some people use photoshop, some people use clay, some people use motorized pens on people's skin.

At the end of the day, skateboarding is being showcased. Let's all just appreciate that there are different ways to watch skateboarding and different tastes and stop arguing. Shit would be so boring if everyone did the exact same thing.

I guarantee in year 2050, there will still be people trying to figure out how to keep using a vx1000 which is awesome.

Use the medium that inspires you and gives your work meaning in all areas of life.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
Fuck that. If we all agreed to disagree on matters of taste in skateboarding there would be nothing left to argue about here.

tweak

• Rep: -2
Although it doesn't matter and people say VX has no drawcard, I'd argue it kind of does in one way. As someone else said CCD vs CMOS is a real thing, it's know that CCD seems to render colours and movement better than CMOS does, it's one of the reasons Digital Bolex got such high praise. Now I'm not saying VX=DB, but just because you don't understand why people like something doesn't mean there's nothing to like.

Here's a good light for you guys, much smaller than those big 160LED panels and almost puts out as much light (700vs900lux).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/282087118673?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Hannity

all i know is that recording to sd card/digital media is way more convenient than recording to those damn little tapes. if i'm gonna drop 4 to 500 on a camera, i want to know that its gonna last for a long time, and not have issues with moving parts and heads the way a VX does, or even a DVX. digital media just seems way more reliable and also amenable to editing in post, especially when it's recorded at a fairly high bitrate (50 Mbps+)

Beer Keg Peg Leg

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -35
the mk1 fisheye is the reason the vx looks the best

any tips on export settings?

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
the mk1 fisheye is the reason the vx looks the best

Expand Quote

[close]

any tips on export settings?

try H.264

These are the settings I use in premier pro cs6. I doubt they are the best or anything like that. But they work good. Just make sure you check that "use maximum render quality" box. It improves it greatly.

gnidraobetaks

all i know is that recording to sd card/digital media is way more convenient than recording to those damn little tapes. if i'm gonna drop 4 to 500 on a camera, i want to know that its gonna last for a long time, and not have issues with moving parts and heads the way a VX does, or even a DVX. digital media just seems way more reliable and also amenable to editing in post, especially when it's recorded at a fairly high bitrate (50 Mbps+)

haha... HD for 4 to 500 sounds like an oxymoron.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 08:14:22 PM by gnidraobetaks »

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125