Author Topic: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)  (Read 102676 times)

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 117
  • evensteven
So which camera should i get to start out? i figure my only shot at doing something with skating is through filming. should i just get a vx1000?
even the steven

Dontfearthereefer

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -232
  • Head kook
So which camera should i get to start out? i figure my only shot at doing something with skating is through filming. should i just get a vx1000?

yes

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356

VX1000 with a century optics mark 1 fisheye aka MK1 as well as an LED light, many of which are linked in this thread.
You also need a fast computer that has lots of RAM and a FireWire port, and also an external HD with tons of space for editing.
You should also get a capture camera: a minidv camera that you use to log all the footage onto you computer so you don't wear out the heads on the VX.

Finally, you'll need a camera bag, tapes, batteries, and charger.
I think that's everything.
Oh, also a filmed board (basically cruiser with big soft wheels)

It's kind of a pain in the ass and a costs little bit of dough to start, but once you're in the swing of things it is so rewarding and fun.
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

FrenchFriedClownFingers

• Rep: 117
  • evensteven
Expand Quote
[close]

VX1000 with a century optics mark 1 fisheye aka MK1 as well as an LED light, many of which are linked in this thread.
You also need a fast computer that has lots of RAM and a FireWire port, and also an external HD with tons of space for editing.
You should also get a capture camera: a minidv camera that you use to log all the footage onto you computer so you don't wear out the heads on the VX.

It's kind of a pain in the ass and a costs little bit of dough to start, but once you're in the swing of things it is so rewarding and fun.

well luckily for me i have a bad ass pc that can handle the workload. i've found a guy on cl that's selling a vx1000 for a little over $500.  i figure between selling weed and working my shitty little job i should be able to get what i need. wish i had an extra $500, it might as well be $5000 at this point
even the steven

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image

vx is the only option.

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 82
What are the benefits of the 1000 over the 2100? I feel like the 2100 is criminally underrated. Apologies if this has already been discussed... Which it probably has.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
What are the benefits of the 1000 over the 2100? I feel like the 2100 is criminally underrated. Apologies if this has already been discussed... Which it probably has.

2100 is killer for filming at night. I have used one before and I like the look of the mk1 on it. It gives it more vig. Colors are different from the 2100 and the 1000. The mic quality is different. 2100 for sure will last longer then a 1000. I know people that just smash on the playback buttons, and its completely fine. If you tried that on a 1000 it would be dust in about 10 seconds. And its just really the user. I started on a 1000 so maybe I'm more biased towards it. I have owned all three at one point.

pekkaaa

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 235
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
What are the benefits of the 1000 over the 2100?

I've been using the vx2000 for two years and the xv1000 for around three - I'd say get a 1000 with an mk1. Better sound, better fisheye (mk1 with bayoring on a 2000 doesn't look nearly as good) better colors, better overall look. While it's true that the 2000 works better in low light, I still prefer night footage with the 1000. As long as you have a decent light and stay close to the skater, it's gonna look good.

The only real plus with the 2000 is that it generally lasts longer, but if you treat the 1000 good (don't mix tape brands, run a cleaning tape for 5-7 sec when you see a glitch and try not to use playback as much) it's gonna last you a good while, and repairs really aren't that expensive.

Rick Howards Root Beer

• Rep: 2
Didn't want to start a GL2 thread and thought you guys might know but, i recently picked up a Canon GL2 and as i went to capture my mac wont find the camera and as far as i can find theres no drivers that i can install for a mac for it to read it. My firewire cables are fine and the camera is set to DV out but Premier and Final Cut wont find it. At this point i have no idea how to get my footage off the tapes. Maybe you guys might be able to help?

Phillip Flathead

• Rep: -7
Didn't want to start a GL2 thread and thought you guys might know but, i recently picked up a Canon GL2 and as i went to capture my mac wont find the camera and as far as i can find theres no drivers that i can install for a mac for it to read it. My firewire cables are fine and the camera is set to DV out but Premier and Final Cut wont find it. At this point i have no idea how to get my footage off the tapes. Maybe you guys might be able to help?

What kind of firewire cable are you using? some cheap ones can fry your firewire on your cam if you plug it in while your computer is already on. try plugging in while ur pc is off and try again. if it doesn't work, find the cheapest mini dv handycam on craigslist and use that to capture your tapes.

or cut your losses and get a vx1000  ;D

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
Expand Quote
yeah cept when youre stacking night clips and you have the vx2 paired with one of those LED lamps its soo easy to blow out the footage unless you adjust everything just right. Theyre so harsh compared to the 10/20 lamp...

For your vx2000 audio, you won't get anything that sounds nearly as good as the vx1 mic, its hard to explain why the 1000 mic is so damn good. For your vx2: You want the audio at 12 bit, leave the adjustment slider in the middle. 16 bit has more layers whatever but I find it picks up the shit you dont want to hear when you listen to skateboards. if its a parking garage or an indoor park maybe lower the slider a notch. But in general I dont mess with it
[close]
Yes About 12 bit,my buddy filmed some lines in a parking garage and at a spot on a busy street on his vx2 with it at 16 bit and when we watched the footy we heard everything but the skateboarding. Some of it sounded like those ghost hunter shows haha

Thanks guys for the 12 bits tip, I'm gonna try it.
The only problem I have with my VX2100 is that I can't get audio as good as on my GL2.
There was an option called "MIC ATT" (attenuated) on the GL2 that made the sound perfect, the pop was nice and clear, and rolling was quiet.

I'm gonna try to post waveform so you can understand better, but anyway I'm still not satisfied by my VX2100 audio.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image

just buy a little dv camera and capture it off that. Best bet

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
yeah cept when youre stacking night clips and you have the vx2 paired with one of those LED lamps its soo easy to blow out the footage unless you adjust everything just right. Theyre so harsh compared to the 10/20 lamp...

For your vx2000 audio, you won't get anything that sounds nearly as good as the vx1 mic, its hard to explain why the 1000 mic is so damn good. For your vx2: You want the audio at 12 bit, leave the adjustment slider in the middle. 16 bit has more layers whatever but I find it picks up the shit you dont want to hear when you listen to skateboards. if its a parking garage or an indoor park maybe lower the slider a notch. But in general I dont mess with it
[close]
Yes About 12 bit,my buddy filmed some lines in a parking garage and at a spot on a busy street on his vx2 with it at 16 bit and when we watched the footy we heard everything but the skateboarding. Some of it sounded like those ghost hunter shows haha
[close]

Thanks guys for the 12 bits tip, I'm gonna try it.
The only problem I have with my VX2100 is that I can't get audio as good as on my GL2.
There was an option called "MIC ATT" (attenuated) on the GL2 that made the sound perfect, the pop was nice and clear, and rolling was quiet.

I'm gonna try to post waveform so you can understand better, but anyway I'm still not satisfied by my VX2100 audio.

mic audio on gl2 is bad? Unless your doing something different. From my experience fucking with the db settings. I just leave it a lone. Its one more thing to worry about if you mess it up. If anything just turn down the db while editing. So much easier and you can't fuck it up. Its the same thing like I don't even bother putting my steady shot on anymore. Because I know I will leave it on accidentally. And then that fisheye clip is blown.

OnSlapAtWork

• Rep: 16
GL2's are terrible and 2100 audio sounds like crap even in manual.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
GL2's are terrible and 2100 audio sounds like crap even in manual.

gl2 sounds like you wrapped the mic in tape. Can't beat the 1000 audio. its just the best

Thomas

• no pop no style
I highly disagree... Sure it's not as good as VX1000 but it does not sound like crap.

Canon GL2 (MIC ATT and manual audio) :
Trente-huit mille Vol. 3

VX2100 (manual audio 16-bit, two notches from the middle) :
Vans Shop Riot 2017 Lyon : ABS Grenoble

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
I highly disagree... Sure it's not as good as VX1000 but it does not sound like crap.

Trente-huit mille Vol. 3

that is with a mic attached correct? Not just the regular stock mic?
If so well yea it will sound better. A stock gl2 mic is literal dog shit. Like I said you can't beat the 1000.

Garth Marenghi

Expand Quote

Trente-huit mille Vol. 3

[close]

If so well yea it will sound better. A stock gl2 mic is literal dog shit. Like I said you can't beat the 1000.

ATT stands for an on-board camera mic attenuation. Reduces the mic input sensitivity. Seems to remove most of that "broken glass" pick-up sound associated with GL1 and 2.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Trente-huit mille Vol. 3

[close]

[close]

ATT stands for an on-board camera mic attenuation. Reduces the mic input sensitivity. Seems to remove most of that "broken glass" pick-up sound associated with GL1 and 2.
att= on board camera mic? didn't know that. The manual audio sounds way better. Maybe all the gl2 videos i have seen are all on auto mic.

Garth Marenghi

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Trente-huit mille Vol. 3

[close]

[close]

[close]
att= on board camera mic? didn't know that. The manual audio sounds way better. Maybe all the gl2 videos i have seen are all on auto mic.

It's a setting, not the on-board mic itself. Manual settings are apparently the way to go with these two Canons. Panasonic DVX100, too.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Trente-huit mille Vol. 3

[close]

[close]

[close]
[close]

It's a setting, not the on-board mic itself. Manual settings are apparently the way to go with these two Canons. Panasonic DVX100, too.

ahhh I see. Yea it seems like manual settings for the audio is the best rout for a gl series .

Thomas

• no pop no style
Yes, it is the stock mic.
I found these settings on skateperception before it closes.

I would kill to check this topic
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 05:31:36 AM by Thomas »

Little Debbie

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356

Trente-huit mille Vol. 3

Re:2100 when you say two notches from the middle, which direction do you mean?
Also do you think this is similar on the 2000?
Audio sounds great on that edit.
Thanks!
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
gone but not forgotten. thanks archive.org

https://web.archive.org/web/20160302213032/http://forums.skateperception.com:80/

top ten best websites. That shit helped me learn so much when i first got myy vx. so much

Thomas

• no pop no style
Expand Quote

Trente-huit mille Vol. 3

[close]

Re:2100 when you say two notches from the middle, which direction do you mean?
Also do you think this is similar on the 2000?
Audio sounds great on that edit.
Thanks!

I set two notches left from the middle with fisheye, and I put auto with long lens.
Also I don't have a filming board so you might get better result if you have soft wheels when filming lines.

I don't know about VX2000 but I think you should be good to start with these settings.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 01:56:20 AM by Thomas »

Burton Ernie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
    • Black Mesa avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Expand Quote
[close]

don't forget: you also need some friends that are good at skateboarding.
If they're not good at skateboarding, make sure they can at least do no-complies and wallies. You'll be set for another year or so probably. Then you'll have to get new friends.

Vert Reynolds

• Rep: -32
the Amazon Pack is the best Bang for your Buck
Do You even Street Style ???

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

don't forget: you also need some friends that are good at skateboarding.
If they're not good at skateboarding, make sure they can at least do no-complies and wallies. You'll be set for another year or so probably. Then you'll have to get new friends.
show up at the park with your vx and all the nerds will wanna "get tricks"

somethingmustbreaknow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 477
learn your friends how to film too how to film
fisheye and longlense with zoom. they do not
need to know how to adjust the settings, but
its good if they can handle filming to get your
self some footage,  that will not look like shit.