Author Topic: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)  (Read 102537 times)

youacop and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

mattchew

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 355

Hi friends,

Any solutions to taming down this insane lens flare I get in Adobe Premiere?
I see in other VX footage most peoples lines are white, but mine are neon green and disgusting looking.
Obviously the best solution is to avoid it in the first place, but sometimes that's impossible.
Any help in rendering it white or just minimizing it in any way would be appreciated!
P R E P A R E  T O  T I M E C O D E

doyle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
It's because the camera/lens, and there isn't really an easy way to minimize it. I guess you could go frame by frame and paint it white, but that's about it.

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
It's because the camera/lens, and there isn't really an easy way to minimize it. I guess you could go frame by frame and paint it white, but that's about it.

Hmmm, but how do other VX users make it white? Surely that's not how they go about it. I have never seen it green in a video before...

doyle

I don't know for sure, but I think it's just the way that your combination of camera/lens is made. MK1's have different colour/style flares, and I guess the green comes from a combination of that and how the sensor deals with direct sunlight.

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
I don't know for sure, but I think it's just the way that your combination of camera/lens is made. MK1's have different colour/style flares, and I guess the green comes from a combination of that and how the sensor deals with direct sunlight.

I wondered if it had to do with the MK1 because I have a newer version of the lens, but I checked and it is still there on long lens shots too. I have a regular English NTSC VX1000.

What color lines do other PALS get from overexposed sunlight in raw footage? Green? White? Red?

Edit: Basically I would imagine that everyone has the green line in the raw footage, yet every video I see, it is a white line, which leads me to believe that there has to be a simple(ish) way to fix the color of the line in post.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 07:57:10 AM by mattchew »

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
Also, skateperception was before my time as a filmer, and it is straight up painful to look at that treasure trove of information that is now just utterly lost. I would fucking love that forum right now. God damn.

doyle

Skateperception was sweet in the early days for sure. It started turning to shit towards the end and it'd probably be even worse by now.

I think it's basically luck of the draw with how flares and shit will look with any VX1/MK1 combo. This is mine:

Try changing up exposure/white balance to see if it changes for you.

OnSlapAtWork

• Rep: 16
Expand Quote
[close]

I wondered if it had to do with the MK1 because I have a newer version of the lens, but I checked and it is still there on long lens shots too. I have a regular English NTSC VX1000.

What color lines do other PALS get from overexposed sunlight in raw footage? Green? White? Red?

Edit: Basically I would imagine that everyone has the green line in the raw footage, yet every video I see, it is a white line, which leads me to believe that there has to be a simple(ish) way to fix the color of the line in post.

Well it can't be the lens then. 

It looks fine I think you're being to picky. I can almost guarantee that VX filmers aren't color correcting there green lines to white.

reptar_bar

• Rep: -7
Also, skateperception was before my time as a filmer, and it is straight up painful to look at that treasure trove of information that is now just utterly lost. I would fucking love that forum right now. God damn.

SP was the best (RIP). But yeah, like someone else said, nobody is going through the process of correcting there lens flares. Honestly, the screenshot you posted doesn't look like the camera was properly focused, its possible that since it wasn't focused correctly it made the flare thicker or more noticeable? I don't know, I kind of like the lens flares if they are just there for a couple of frames. I prob wouldn't pay attention to that if I was just somebody watching the clip, would be more bummed on the focus.

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
[close]

SP was the best (RIP). But yeah, like someone else said, nobody is going through the process of correcting there lens flares. Honestly, the screenshot you posted doesn't look like the camera was properly focused, its possible that since it wasn't focused correctly it made the flare thicker or more noticeable? I don't know, I kind of like the lens flares if they are just there for a couple of frames. I prob wouldn't pay attention to that if I was just somebody watching the clip, would be more bummed on the focus.

lol I KNEW I shouldn't have screen grabbed that particular clip because someone was going to notice the focus Hahahaha, I had just filmed long lens and switched to fisheye, and didn't adjust! Doh! But anyways, despite that particular clip being out of focus, that doesn't have anything to do with it, as it's in many other properly focused clips :)

OnSlapAtWork

• Rep: 16
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

lol I KNEW I shouldn't have screen grabbed that particular clip because someone was going to notice the focus Hahahaha, I had just filmed long lens and switched to fisheye, and didn't adjust! Doh! But anyways, despite that particular clip being out of focus, that doesn't have anything to do with it, as it's in many other properly focused clips :)

It's your camera optics and a particular lighting scenario that's creating a green line.  Not the MK1. Not the Sensor.  I would like to think that every vx1000 was assembled with the same optics, so every camera is susceptible to this "green flare".

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

fuck with your colors more. And the flare won't be as gnarly.

Garth Marenghi

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Caring less also helps. No one cares about the colour of your lens flare while watching the compressed footage on a smart phone on Youtube. Neither should you.

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Caring less also helps. No one cares about the colour of your lens flare while watching the compressed footage on a smart phone on Youtube. Neither should you.

While on the one hand, you're absolutely right about the way any edit I make will be consumed via smartphone and compressed on youtube, I still care about what I am making and want it to be as good as it possibly can be. Will others notice if a lens flare is green instead of white? Almost certainly not, but I will, and little things like that matter to me.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

While on the one hand, you're absolutely right about the way any edit I make will be consumed via smartphone and compressed on youtube, I still care about what I am making and want it to be as good as it possibly can be. Will others notice if a lens flare is green instead of white? Almost certainly not, but I will, and little things like that matter to me.

I understand what your saying. I have buddies that ain't happy about their vig straight on the vx. And I am like its pretty hard to find one with straight vig.

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -128
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #195 on: September 01, 2017, 03:10:06 PM »
I need help uploading with VX

I used to upload my footy on this laptop (PC) and everything was fine. This laptop unfortunately took a shit, and now I have to upload to my desktop iMac.. which kinda makes things messy, and my old cables obsolete.  This iMac doesn't have the traditional firewire port that most apple laptops have. It has a thunderbolt port. Do any pals upload to a newer iMac and have the whole cord/cable situation figured out, and would like to share their setup? Thank you in advance.

I also have this:
thunderbolt to firewire 800 (different firewire pin size).. I'm thinking that I could possibly just buy a new firewire/dv cord with the correct pin size.. would this be possible?

doyle

Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #196 on: September 01, 2017, 03:57:32 PM »
On my Macbook Pro I use a 4 pin to 6 pin Firewire cable, and then a 6 pin to 800 adapter. They do make the little 4 pin firewires to 800 (the weird square one) also, but I had the 4 pin - 6 pin already, so I just got an adapter.. They really don't make it easy ha.

But yeah, if you have the Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter, just get a 4 pin to 800 cord.

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #197 on: September 01, 2017, 04:25:15 PM »
On my Macbook Pro I use a 4 pin to 6 pin Firewire cable, and then a 6 pin to 800 adapter. They do make the little 4 pin firewires to 800 (the weird square one) also, but I had the 4 pin - 6 pin already, so I just got an adapter.. They really don't make it easy ha.

But yeah, if you have the Thunderbolt to Firewire 800 adapter, just get a 4 pin to 800 cord.

Okay that's what I was thinking.. thank you!

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #198 on: September 02, 2017, 06:51:02 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Okay that's what I was thinking.. thank you!

nothing is easy capturing mini dv tapes. Hahaha. I had to buy a little firewire pci express card for my desktop. It wasn't more then 20$ but still a pain.

mattchew

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #199 on: September 02, 2017, 07:09:23 PM »
I'm worried that minidv tapes will stop being produced in the somewhat immediate future...? Is this irrational? How much longer can it be profitable for companies to produce this archaic technology, that as far as I know is only utilized in skating/BMX productions, and even that has to be on the decline.

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 51
« Reply #200 on: September 02, 2017, 09:35:44 PM »
Anyone have tips for capture on a newer mac? I just bought a computer and apparently the easycap driver is no longer supported. I did find a hacked version, but I cant find any way to capture audio without the driver crashing.

doyle

« Reply #201 on: September 02, 2017, 11:21:23 PM »
What mac? And what program are you trying to capture with?

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #202 on: September 02, 2017, 11:56:37 PM »
I'm worried that minidv tapes will stop being produced in the somewhat immediate future...? Is this irrational? How much longer can it be profitable for companies to produce this archaic technology, that as far as I know is only utilized in skating/BMX productions, and even that has to be on the decline.

been wondering this for a little also. When I first started filming you could get the 10 pack of the blue sony premiums for like 15 dollars. They have gone up recently. I still see stores like bestbuy, walmart and other that try to sell a pack of 5 for 30+ dollars. They just keep going up in price. Hopefully never go extinct 

Andmoreagain

« Reply #203 on: September 03, 2017, 06:48:35 AM »

2015 MBP running sierra. I'm would normally cap footage from my DVX100 through easycap viewer. Then edit in Imovie... I'm not very advanced with this stuff.

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
« Reply #204 on: September 03, 2017, 07:31:03 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

been wondering this for a little also. When I first started filming you could get the 10 pack of the blue sony premiums for like 15 dollars. They have gone up recently. I still see stores like bestbuy, walmart and other that try to sell a pack of 5 for 30+ dollars. They just keep going up in price. Hopefully never go extinct 

You can find some good deals on eBay. Recently found a listing for 10 new Sony premiums for $15 total.

doyle

« Reply #205 on: September 03, 2017, 07:53:33 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

2015 MBP running sierra. I'm would normally cap footage from my DVX100 through easycap viewer. Then edit in Imovie... I'm not very advanced with this stuff.
If this this is your Macbook, firstly you need the same cords/adapters as MintySandwhich above (4-pin Firewire to Thunderbolt). I would then say to just capture using iMovie (see how here), but I would recommend switching to Final Cut Pro/Premiere/Resolve ASAP ;)

Andmoreagain

« Reply #206 on: September 03, 2017, 08:00:57 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
If this this is your Macbook, firstly you need the same cords/adapters as MintySandwhich above (4-pin Firewire to Thunderbolt). I would then say to just capture using iMovie (see how here), but I would recommend switching to Final Cut Pro/Premiere/Resolve ASAP ;)

Thanks! Going to order the cables now. I also just downloaded the Final Cut free trial, so we'll se how it goes.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #207 on: September 03, 2017, 05:17:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

Thanks! Going to order the cables now. I also just downloaded the Final Cut free trial, so we'll se how it goes.

If you can I would suggest torrenting FCP. I am not sure what the free version lets/doesn't let you do. But you can also try premier pro.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #208 on: September 03, 2017, 05:19:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

You can find some good deals on eBay. Recently found a listing for 10 new Sony premiums for $15 total.

Yea that's true. What I did was I found a rack of tapes on ebay and filter to my area code and how many miles I would travel. They were in my area-ish so I messaged the dude and we meet up, he ended up taking 10$ for me because I drove a little. But it was perfect, couldn't get any tapes from amazon in time before are trip to SF. And I for sure wasn't going to buy 5 of them for 30$ or what ever.

MintySandwhich

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #209 on: September 04, 2017, 09:19:00 AM »
If you're a student just order the Creative Cloud.. I pay $20 a month to have any Adobe program I want and it's constantly being updated to the newest version too. It's honestly better than trying to download an illegal copy of FCP/Premiere/AE and possibly fucking up your computer.

Plus you can have it on two computers.. it's pretty fucking sick. I downloaded After Effects, Premiere Pro, Illustrator, and InDesign all within 10-15 minutes.