Author Topic: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)  (Read 102520 times)

Switch Tre Gang

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 1
Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #390 on: December 10, 2019, 08:20:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey Pals,

I've got a focusing question for the vx1000. I've always been under the impression to zoom in the subject and then focus and then I can zoom out and it'll hold focus. With my vx1000 that is not happening, as soon as I zoom out it loses focus for the rest of the shot. Any help? would be greatly appreciated - it's ruining my long lens fun!
[close]

Might be a back focus problem. Has your camera taken a couple of knocks? The rear lens in the barrel might have shifted...
Does it happen at all apertures?
[close]

It hasn't taken any hits, but may have done during shipping or when used by the previous owner. It seems to happen at the majority of apertures from testing but definitely much worse/noticeable at anything lower than f8. If it is indeed a back focus problem, what's the best solution? Thanks
[close]

Do the lighting conditions/shutter speed have any effect on the range of focus? Which custom preset sharpness setting are you using?
[close]

To be honest not really, even at 180 shutter and f8 it was happening at the weekend. I'm normally using a bump or two up from the middle in terms of sharpness. Any ideas?
[close]

180 shutter speed and f8 exposure seem to contradict one another. Are you shooting on a sunny day in a slow shutter speed or in the shade without enough exposure?

It's pretty grey here in London, I've using a Jap vx (shoot's at 30fps) so I was trying to keep the shutter in line with the fps on a grey day, I shot a higher exposure to try and help the focus..although not sure it did. Should I be shooting at a higher shutter and slightly lower exposure to help keep the focus sharper?

Garth Marenghi

Re: VX1000 General Discussion (gear/set-ups, filming/editing, tips/advice, etc.)
« Reply #391 on: December 10, 2019, 10:25:23 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey Pals,

I've got a focusing question for the vx1000. I've always been under the impression to zoom in the subject and then focus and then I can zoom out and it'll hold focus. With my vx1000 that is not happening, as soon as I zoom out it loses focus for the rest of the shot. Any help? would be greatly appreciated - it's ruining my long lens fun!
[close]

Might be a back focus problem. Has your camera taken a couple of knocks? The rear lens in the barrel might have shifted...
Does it happen at all apertures?
[close]

It hasn't taken any hits, but may have done during shipping or when used by the previous owner. It seems to happen at the majority of apertures from testing but definitely much worse/noticeable at anything lower than f8. If it is indeed a back focus problem, what's the best solution? Thanks
[close]

Do the lighting conditions/shutter speed have any effect on the range of focus? Which custom preset sharpness setting are you using?
[close]

To be honest not really, even at 180 shutter and f8 it was happening at the weekend. I'm normally using a bump or two up from the middle in terms of sharpness. Any ideas?
[close]

180 shutter speed and f8 exposure seem to contradict one another. Are you shooting on a sunny day in a slow shutter speed or in the shade without enough exposure?
[close]

It's pretty grey here in London, I've using a Jap vx (shoot's at 30fps) so I was trying to keep the shutter in line with the fps on a grey day, I shot a higher exposure to try and help the focus..although not sure it did. Should I be shooting at a higher shutter and slightly lower exposure to help keep the focus sharper?

I'd suggest trying out a faster shutter speed. At least 300 should work in daytime whether it's sunny or not. The camera deciding on an f/8 exposure would seem to affirm that, too.

CHONGO

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 28
    • tumblr avatar image
« Reply #392 on: December 12, 2019, 12:20:16 AM »
Bump your sharpness all the way up and keep your exposure at f5.8 it will keep everything in focus better.

f5.8 or one higher. Anything lower gets the focus looking funny around the vignetting. Unless its nighttime crank that fuckah all the way down.

grindr

• Rep: 3
Didn't want to start a new thread, figure this would fit in here.
 The audio in my TRV900 tends to completely go out when a loud noise happens (ie someone popping or landing). Any ideas on what the problem could be?

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -30
 The audio in my TRV900 tends to completely go out when a loud noise happens (ie someone popping or landing). Any ideas on what the problem could be?

Unfortunately can't help you tech wise but the good thing about TRV900's are the low price. I've been using one for 3 years that was 150 bucks on eBay and they're always around that much. Think I'm even going to get a second one. For the life of me I can't find a VX under 800 which I don't have except the Japanese ones, which I hear kinda suck

grindr

Expand Quote
[close]

Unfortunately can't help you tech wise but the good thing about TRV900's are the low price. I've been using one for 3 years that was 150 bucks on eBay and they're always around that much. Think I'm even going to get a second one. For the life of me I can't find a VX under 800 which I don't have except the Japanese ones, which I hear kinda suck

My buddy has a Japanese vx and it seems to work fine. What sucks about vx is the ~$800 for the camera and then the price of the lens stacked on top of that. But yeah, may just buy another one, unfortunate 'cause this one's only been in my possession for about a month. What kind of lens are you running?

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

My buddy has a Japanese vx and it seems to work fine. What sucks about vx is the ~$800 for the camera and then the price of the lens stacked on top of that. But yeah, may just buy another one, unfortunate 'cause this one's only been in my possession for about a month. What kind of lens are you running?

Semi embarrassed for this, but the Opteka Baby Death .03x

Honestly with the TRV900 having 3 CCDs and that lens, many people have seen my edits and thought I used a VX with an Mk1... But I don't have the extra money for what I wish I could have, an American VX1000 with Mk1. Work with what ya got, I reckon

grindr

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Honestly with the TRV900 having 3 CCDs and that lens, many people have seen my edits and thought I used a VX with an Mk1... But I don't have the extra money for what I wish I could have, an American VX1000 with Mk1. Work with what ya got, I reckon

I'd be interested in seeing some of that footage. Aint nothing wrong with using that opteka, but I've got the century baby death. Hopefully you don't run one of those X handles hahaha.

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'd be interested in seeing some of that footage. Aint nothing wrong with using that opteka, but I've got the century baby death. Hopefully you don't run one of those X handles hahaha.

Oh shit just checked its actually an Albinar .03x fish-eye. Think I had an opteka before, though. I've been thinking of a legit handle, not those things, although I grew up filming Hi8 in the 90's gripping the camera for several years so I'm pretty steady, but the handle is one of things about the VX I'd like to have.

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 319
  • Jamu Gost
Expand Quote
[close]
For the life of me I can't find a VX under 800 which I don't have except the Japanese ones, which I hear kinda suck

Only difference in a Japanese one is that the buttons and menu are in Japanese..

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1568
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
For the life of me I can't find a VX under 800 which I don't have except the Japanese ones, which I hear kinda suck
[close]

Only difference in a Japanese one is that the buttons and menu are in Japanese..

No, they also shoot at a slightly higher frame rate and footage caught on a Japanese VX with the proper settings will look smoother than the same clip caught on a PAL VX (so, the opposite of sucking - people actually go out of their way to find Japanese VX's). Most videos don't mix VX types so it's hard to exactly spot the difference until one plays both types of VX clips back to back.

TRV-900's are dope, some cool videos have been made with it. In general, 3CCD Mini-DV cameras other than the VX I find underrated.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 11:40:15 PM by silhouette »

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
Yeah, Japanese VX, like US VX are NTSC and shoot at 480 60i.
I think they also have a 16:9 shooting option which is just a cropped 4:3 just like on VX2000/2100.

PAL VX shoot at 576 50i, so slightly lower framerate, but slightly greater resolution.

From what I heard, one of the main advantage of Japanese VX is that they were produced for a longer time so you might find some newer camera which would be more reliable.

How much are you guys paying in the US for mini DV tapes ?
I used to buy 10 pack from Amazon for 25€, but now I see that it is the price of the 5 pack  :o
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO

I used to buy 10 pack from Amazon for 25€, but now I see that it is the price of the 5 pack  :o

Sorry to hijack your question, but..

Are Mini DV tapes still in production? Or are we talking about a mega leftover of stock? It surely cannot be that much in demand to be making them still..
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

BacksideWallride

• SLAP Pal
Expand Quote

[close]

Are Mini DV tapes still in production? Or are we talking about a mega leftover of stock? It surely cannot be that much in demand to be making them still..

I'm not sure they're still in production but I have lucked out going to drug and grocery stores. Since people usually go to Best Buy or tech stores they sell out at those places. I've been to a few CVS and Walgreens and found them in their lil electronics area, funny enough usually some audio cassettes and blank VHS's will be there too. Also check Office Depot/Office Max if your city has them.

Unfortunately I think I got everyone at every spot (think even got a pack at a Kroger) and may have to pay quite a bit more from Amazon/eBay

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 90
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I'm not sure they're still in production but I have lucked out going to drug and grocery stores. Since people usually go to Best Buy or tech stores they sell out at those places. I've been to a few CVS and Walgreens and found them in their lil electronics area, funny enough usually some audio cassettes and blank VHS's will be there too. Also check Office Depot/Office Max if your city has them.

Unfortunately I think I got everyone at every spot (think even got a pack at a Kroger) and may have to pay quite a bit more from Amazon/eBay

I think it is mainly camera shops that sell them in the UK. The guy in Swansea that stocks sells them for a steep price unfortunately. But luckily eBay have a few deals from time to time.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
I actually got myself a TRV 900 about a month ago as well as a Baby Death lens. Haven't really busted it out cuz of winter but I'm real excited to finally have a camera at my own disposal.

realriis

• Rep: 0
Expand Quote
[close]

no difference between Japanese and US VX1s, I have a Japanese one currently, and have plenty of experience with American models. They are actually the same, except one has cropped 16:9 mode which is useless, and one doesn't. Japanese VX1's are cheaper because Americans don't speak Japanese, therefore they can not read the menu or buttons. If you have experience with VX's though, the layout is the same, so you won't have an issue. I got mine in incredible condition with a hard case, 6 tapes, 5 batteries, and a bunch of accessories for like 300 bucks. They're definitely out there, just find one on YAJ and find somebody to ship it to you. Best of luck to you my man, you'll find one.  :) :)

realriis

• Rep: 0
Expand Quote
[close]

Oh yeah, and recently I was talking with an old head about cameras, and he was looking at my Japanese VX and said he was surprised that the body was aluminum, because US models are plastic. This probably isn't true, but who knows.

specialgee

• Rep: -10
no difference between Japanese and US VX1s, I have a Japanese one currently, and have plenty of experience with American models. They are actually the same, except one has cropped 16:9 mode which is useless, and one doesn't. Japanese VX1's are cheaper because Americans don't speak Japanese, therefore they can not read the menu or buttons. If you have experience with VX's though, the layout is the same, so you won't have an issue. I got mine in incredible condition with a hard case, 6 tapes, 5 batteries, and a bunch of accessories for like 300 bucks. They're definitely out there, just find one on YAJ and find somebody to ship it to you. Best of luck to you my man, you'll find one.  :) :)

yep both are the same, JPN VX1000 are NTSC so 29.97fps and less resolution lines than a PAL one
got mine 3 years ago on YAJ for like 90 bucks, great condition fully functionnal with accessories and stuff so you can definitely squeeze one out for cheap

フリーマックスb

obscurepurity

• Rep: 14
Hey dudes,

More and more I've been seeing standard quality videos (vx1000, trv-900 quality) uploaded to YouTube that playback with insanely good quality, the same smooth quality as if you're watching the video on VHS/DVD on a television. 

If I had to guess it's because the video is exported to 1080p HD at 60fps, but whenever I've tried to export my footage the same way and upload it to YouTube, it doesn't play as clear as the other videos I've seen.  Anybody have any tips or suggestions for how to properly export the footage to get the same quality as the examples below? 

Many thanks in advance <3

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQQHZcL7FzU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPbOk-G2Bsk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXnep0umzcA

Chatbot

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 72
Hey dudes,

More and more I've been seeing standard quality videos (vx1000, trv-900 quality) uploaded to YouTube that playback with insanely good quality, the same smooth quality as if you're watching the video on VHS/DVD on a television. 

If I had to guess it's because the video is exported to 1080p HD at 60fps, but whenever I've tried to export my footage the same way and upload it to YouTube, it doesn't play as clear as the other videos I've seen.  Anybody have any tips or suggestions for how to properly export the footage to get the same quality as the examples below? 

Many thanks in advance <3

I don't think it's just the export settings. I think you have to edit them on the HD timeline, not the SD 4:3

obscurepurity

• Rep: 14
I don't think it's just the export settings. I think you have to edit them on the HD timeline, not the SD 4:3

Yes, you're definitely right about that. 

When I was doing some testing and trying out different exports from Adobe Premiere, I definitely set the project and sequence/timeline settings to HD settings, but it's still likely I wasn't using the ideal option.  I'm still not 100% confident that my export settings were the best options either, at least for what I was trying to achieve.  :P

Hoping that someone here with more experience in HD can school me on the proper way to export to 1080p/60fps so that my future uploads will come out nice n' crispy.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
To be honest I never tried to edit in a HD timeline, but I don't understand why it would be different than editing in native resolution and upscale to HD during the export...
If anyone ever tried that it would be nice to know.
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

doyle

• Rep: 210
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
The only thing about editing on the SD timeline then exporting HD is that the frame rate will likely not be 60fps like those examples (if that's what you're going for).

Edit in an HD timeline at 60fps, export as H.264 at 12mbps and you'll have the best possible quality.

Here are Youtube's recommended settings for each resolution/frame rate.

So essentially, even if you upload a 30fps standard def video at full uncompressed quality, Youtube will compress it to 2.5mbps. If you take this same video, upres it and export at 60fps, it'll look way better at 12mbps. If you don't like that "smooth 60p" effect that the video gets, you can just export it at 30fps and it'll still technically be 4x the quality of the full quality SD upload.

E

• Rep: 11
I know this is technically the VX thread, I tried searching and couldn't find a general filming topic, point me in the right direction if there is one.

I just got a Panasonic HMC150 and I was hoping some of you may be willing to share your settings for the camera in outdoor daylight setting.

Hoping to dial it in as I film more but figured you guys might have some good tips/advice for me. Don't have the fisheye yet but wanna get the MK2 eventually.

sphincterparty

• Rep: -5
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Hey Pals, so I just recently got a mk1. When I tried to attach it to my vx1000 it would not lock. I followed the directions thoroughly i.e lined up the two dots underneath the mic, rotated both dots until it stopped, and then rotated the outer half to the left. It still came off... i tried it from other directions but still had no luck.

Has anyone else had this problem? If so were you able to fix it? Is there a technique that I should use?

Thanks Pals!
[close]
you might have bought a vx2000 mk1 by accident. if thats the case youll want to buy a vx1 bayo

http://www.bayorings.com/index.php/online-shop/bayorings/vx1000-replica-bayoring-22.html
[close]

It's a vx1000 :(

Could it possibly be that my bayoring on the vx1000 is no good? It looks fine but maybe there's something missing that I don't know about..
[close]

Post a picture if you're unsure. The lens should mount to the camera regardless of it's orientation as long as the slots and pins are aligned.

It ended up being a defective lens. I sent it back to Century Optics around the holidays and they said they won't being sending me another mk1 till the 22nd of January.. Waited almost a year to get this one and now the process is being prolonged .. Pretty unlucky but whatever.

I expect them to say that I have to wait even longer, so in the meantime I was thinking about buying 3CCD lens' on the vx1000 market, but not really sure if its worth. If any of you pals have a suggestion I'm all ears.

Little Debbie

I know this is technically the VX thread, I tried searching and couldn't find a general filming topic, point me in the right direction if there is one.

I just got a Panasonic HMC150 and I was hoping some of you may be willing to share your settings for the camera in outdoor daylight setting.

Hoping to dial it in as I film more but figured you guys might have some good tips/advice for me. Don't have the fisheye yet but wanna get the MK2 eventually.
i honestly don't even mess with the scene files any more, just leave them stock and take care of saturation and contrast in post. lately i've been preferring B-press and cine-like as a nice combo. if it's hella bright out and 1/2000 and f9.6 is still too overexposed, throw that ND filter on one stop. i prefer to white balance in the shade.

HD footage color corrects very nicely so it's safer to get a flatter, less saturated image. but by all means, try to nail the shot you want in-camera. for me, composition and camera movement (or the lack thereof) are more important and something you can't fix later.

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
I expect them to say that I have to wait even longer, so in the meantime I was thinking about buying 3CCD lens' on the vx1000 market, but not really sure if its worth. If any of you pals have a suggestion I'm all ears.

There's no such thing as a 3CCD lens, 3CCD essentially means your camera has three chips to handle the coloring instead of just one. The lens doesn't make a difference. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-CCD_camera

I'd say just film long lens for now, but you've probably done your fair share of that waiting for your MK1 already. In my opinion it would be a waste of money to spend on a lesser fisheye than the one you're about to get just because you're impatient right now (unless you can afford to fuck around with gear, in which case you do you). Once you get the MK1 you're probably never going back (but you'll also have an emergency backup if you ever smash the real deal).

specialgee

• Rep: -10
Expand Quote
[close]

There's no such thing as a 3CCD lens, 3CCD essentially means your camera has three chips to handle the coloring instead of just one. The lens doesn't make a difference. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Three-CCD_camera

I'd say just film long lens for now, but you've probably done your fair share of that waiting for your MK1 already. In my opinion it would be a waste of money to spend on a lesser fisheye than the one you're about to get just because you're impatient right now (unless you can afford to fuck around with gear, in which case you do you). Once you get the MK1 you're probably never going back (but you'll also have an emergency backup if you ever smash the real deal).

great insight, I guess sphincter was talking about this lens which happens to be called 3CCD
https://www.instagram.com/p/B3gWRa9piQw

the test footage looks decent, more similar to an MK2 so not sure you'd get the bang for the bucks if you already purchased the MK1

silhouette

• SLAP Pal
Oh yeah now that makes sense, I did try looking up '3CCD lens' before reacting as to avoid sounding stupid, but that brand never showed up in my Google search.

For casual/local filming, I've been using a cheap 3CCD Mini-Dv cam with one of these Opteka clones: https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=103218.0 the distortion on 4:3 looks good enough to me. I don't know about the '3CCD lens' but just in case, those work quite well and don't break as easily as other knockoffs I've seen on lens hits. But yeah, long lens filming is always great practicing and you've got a MK1 on the way so...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 03:54:29 AM by silhouette »