Author Topic: Does anyone still use facebook anymore?  (Read 9381 times)

Green Bastard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 7
Does anyone still use facebook anymore?
« on: February 09, 2017, 06:44:38 PM »
I deleted my facebook account today and I'm gonna see how long I can last without it. The only social media accounts I have are insta and snapchat where I only follow a handful of friends.
I got tired of seeing just people argue and bragging about their basic shit. I just felt I would be a lot happier without seeing it on a daily basis.

shark tits

Re: Does anyone still use facebook anymore?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 07:47:03 PM »
me and rusty focused our accounts like a yr and a half ago. it was very liberating but my problem is that's the only way i know how to keep in touch w/ a lot of people. so i sold out and restarted but i wasn't gonna add anyone unless they were transients or whatever and that's our easiest mode of communication. then other people added me, i lost the plot and now i'm up to 64 people.
you're absolutely right, i've got a ton of anti-trump and one gay dude who hates israel but seems to be pro-trump. go figure.
so not a lot of positivity to build on, mostly negative memes that aren't gonna change anyone's thinking and some skating.
i took mushrooms a few X in december and realized i spend too much time on there [and here].
one day i will go neo-luddite and focus my computer but it's not gonna be til spring.
salute to you, green bastard!

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 552
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 08:08:59 PM »
Only for family and as a cheap way to text my girl

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 02:25:10 AM »
Got it in early 2007, had it for some years and never understood the point. Sure, it was fun to find my old friends from Russia, but that was it. Deleted some years ago and don't have anything now.

People freak out when they find out that you don't have anything. I freak out when I see that they don't even lift.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1529
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 02:34:17 AM »
I was using it way too much. Been a user from the early days and it has changed quite a lot. It became an extended social CV with everyone trying to outperform each other either in achievements or sarcasm and self-loathing.

I will keep the account for messenger only or for some giveaways, but I have restrained myself from posting anything for a long time. Seems to me that people who don't have time to post anything live fuller and happier lives. No outside gratification needed.

My only big gripe is that FB removed the API for messenger so I actively have to have a FB tab open to communicate and can't just use some desktop messenger.

Social media has really gone down the shitter and I will be glad to see it die.

lampshade

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 03:54:22 AM »
I check FB a few times a week.  It's a cool way to see what  people from high school or college are up to with moves, kids, etc.  People I like, but won't necessarily pick up the phone and give them a call.  There are too many people who post way too much information and way too often. 

jomeara1

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2017, 04:39:16 AM »
I deleted it about 6 years ago and it was the best thing I've ever done.  It was nothing but a distraction all the time especially when it came to school and homework.  If you can break the two week mark, then you're good.  You start to appreciate what life was like before all that shit came out and realize that people don't need it to live a normal life.  I don't know if facebook still does this, but I thought it was hilarious when I was ready to delete it and it actually tries to make you feel guilty about it.  A page came up with these random "friends" that I have on there and said "this person will miss you!"  I actually do believe there are people out there who are addicted to facebook and are physcially dependent on it like a drug.

The positive side of it though is that I completely agree that it is good to have if you wanna keep in touch with distant relatives or friends that live too far away to keep close to.  Most of my family lives pretty close by and a lot of my old friends from back then have kinda drifted apart so it doesn't really apply to me.

Beeda Weeda

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2017, 05:30:04 AM »
I don't keep the app on my phone, bu i use it on a desk top once and a while, too many babies and trump.

Stoop Kid 2.0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -312
  • I still fucking hate hipsters.
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2017, 05:35:25 AM »
I only use facebook to keep updated on certain beers and a lot of babes reach out to me on it. So I just keep it for the ass and booze.

iKobrakai

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -717
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2017, 06:57:43 AM »
I deleted it about 6 years ago and it was the best thing I've ever done.?  It was nothing but a distraction all the time especially when it came to school and homework.?  If you can break the two week mark, then you're good.?  You start to appreciate what life was like before all that shit came out and realize that people don't need it to live a normal life.?  I don't know if facebook still does this, but I thought it was hilarious when I was ready to delete it and it actually tries to make you feel guilty about it.?  A page came up with these random "friends" that I have on there and said "this person will miss you!"?  I actually do believe there are people out there who are addicted to facebook and are physcially dependent on it like a drug.

The positive side of it though is that I completely agree that it is good to have if you wanna keep in touch with distant relatives or friends that live too far away to keep close to.?  Most of my family lives pretty close by and a lot of my old friends from back then have kinda drifted apart so it doesn't really apply to me.

Wow. It really had that much impact on your life? I'm really asking, not being a dick. Could you please tell more?

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2017, 07:50:27 AM »
if facebook is the main thing preserving some of your relationships, they're not worth maintaining anyway. delete that shit.

Howie

• Rep: 9
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2017, 07:54:37 AM »
I use it pretty much only for messenger and keeping up with family. Way too much dumb shit on there otherwise.

shark tits

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2017, 08:01:51 AM »
if facebook is the main thing preserving some of your relationships, they're not worth maintaining anyway. delete that shit.
in theory i agree but i've got people all over the country i wanna keep up w/ but i'm not trying to talk on the phone or whatever. also, it's the only way to holler at your ex after the statute of limitations of her being mad at you is up. i feel wicked awkward on the phone so i like it for the time delay in responding. i always dig when people post skating and i like tobey and the baby.

Pigeon

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2017, 08:24:34 AM »
The only decent reason for having one is Tinder. I deleted mine after the elections because of all the annoying, political shit.

ChuckRamone

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 536
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 08:31:01 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
in theory i agree but i've got people all over the country i wanna keep up w/ but i'm not trying to talk on the phone or whatever. also, it's the only way to holler at your ex after the statute of limitations of her being mad at you is up. i feel wicked awkward on the phone so i like it for the time delay in responding. i always dig when people post skating and i like tobey and the baby.

but wouldn't it be cooler to talk to those people after 20 years of no contact and do all your catching up then? you'd have a lot more to talk about. the main dynamic on fb is voyeurism and exhibitionism. it bothers me that there's little substance to any of it. it mostly satisfies the curiosity of a person's nosy side, which is not really worthwhile. if you can't be bothered to meet, e-mail or call certain people, what's the value of being updated on the mundane details of their lives? if people interacted on fb in more interesting ways I'd use it but most people either don't have anything interesting to share or are scared to.

shark tits

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 08:37:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

but wouldn't it be cooler to talk to those people after 20 years of no contact and do all your catching up then? you'd have a lot more to talk about. the main dynamic on fb is voyeurism and exhibitionism. it bothers me that there's little substance to any of it. it mostly satisfies the curiosity of a person's nosy side, which is not really worthwhile. if you can't be bothered to meet, e-mail or call certain people, what's the value of being updated on the mundane details of their lives? if people interacted on fb in more interesting ways I'd use it but most people either don't have anything interesting to share or are scared to.
agree 100. i dig it as a tool to facilitate these reunions. it's bullshit in all the ways you stated but it's immediate for when someone dies, you have to crowdsource a ticket home for a funeral, sharing songs, little stuff like that. spose i could do it all via text but it's just habit. i hate it, i don't know why i'm justifying it because it's mostly a piece of shit.

Deucifer

• Rep: 10
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 09:05:10 AM »
I deleted it about eight years ago when my entire family got on there... haven't looked back. I agree that if you're going to keep in contact with someone, you don't need facebook to do it. I kinda decided I don't need 100 pseudo internet friends and would rather keep a close circle of more meaningful relationships. And if I really want to reconnect with someone and don't have their info, it's usually easy enough to track them down without facebook.
I have two words for you: greg lutza's fedora

20matar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 125
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 09:17:14 AM »
The only decent reason for having one is Tinder. I deleted mine after the elections because of all the annoying, political shit.

It's the only thing I miss about Facebook. And I'm not going to create a burner account. I need less internet-everything in my life, not more. My FB use rarely made me feel good, other than talking to people -- that I could reach elsewhere -- and following websites -- that I could visit going straight to the source.

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 136
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2017, 09:22:24 AM »
I still use it. For messenger, tinder, memes, stupid news, see how friends are, etc. I don't see why people freak out when you tell them you don't have an FB anymore. It does help take away from the bullshit and helps you focus on yourself and goals. I admit I'm one of those people that post political stuff now because of Trump. Before that though, I barely logged on.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

jomeara1

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2017, 09:23:26 AM »
Expand Quote
I deleted it about 6 years ago and it was the best thing I've ever done.?� It was nothing but a distraction all the time especially when it came to school and homework.?� If you can break the two week mark, then you're good.?� You start to appreciate what life was like before all that shit came out and realize that people don't need it to live a normal life.?� I don't know if facebook still does this, but I thought it was hilarious when I was ready to delete it and it actually tries to make you feel guilty about it.?� A page came up with these random "friends" that I have on there and said "this person will miss you!"?� I actually do believe there are people out there who are addicted to facebook and are physcially dependent on it like a drug.

The positive side of it though is that I completely agree that it is good to have if you wanna keep in touch with distant relatives or friends that live too far away to keep close to.?� Most of my family lives pretty close by and a lot of my old friends from back then have kinda drifted apart so it doesn't really apply to me.

[close]

Wow. It really had that much impact on your life? I'm really asking, not being a dick. Could you please tell more?

I just couldn't stand it anymore.  Nothing much else to say haha.

EDIT:  The part where I said that I believe some people have a real addiction to facebook, I wasn't really referring to me.  Just an observation of other people who are constantly glued to it all day everyday
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 09:30:16 AM by Johnny »

Green Bastard

• Rep: 7
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2017, 09:24:08 AM »
I deleted it about 6 years ago and it was the best thing I've ever done.� It was nothing but a distraction all the time especially when it came to school and homework.� If you can break the two week mark, then you're good.� You start to appreciate what life was like before all that shit came out and realize that people don't need it to live a normal life.� I don't know if facebook still does this, but I thought it was hilarious when I was ready to delete it and it actually tries to make you feel guilty about it.� A page came up with these random "friends" that I have on there and said "this person will miss you!"� I actually do believe there are people out there who are addicted to facebook and are physcially dependent on it like a drug.

The positive side of it though is that I completely agree that it is good to have if you wanna keep in touch with distant relatives or friends that live too far away to keep close to.� Most of my family lives pretty close by and a lot of my old friends from back then have kinda drifted apart so it doesn't really apply to me.

Yeah Facebook tried to guilt trip me when I started deactivating it. They also asked me why I was deleting it and tried to blame the problem on me by telling how I can cut down on Facebook. Seemed weird having facebook beg me not to leave. I also use email for my older family members who live in foreign countries as well as a app called wechat for my family members in China

h00man

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 136
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2017, 09:29:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
agree 100. i dig it as a tool to facilitate these reunions. it's bullshit in all the ways you stated but it's immediate for when someone dies, you have to crowdsource a ticket home for a funeral, sharing songs, little stuff like that. spose i could do it all via text but it's just habit. i hate it, i don't know why i'm justifying it because it's mostly a piece of shit.

I see your point, but sometimes someone wont see their friend for years or maybe even ever. An example:

My friend I used to work with committed suicide and I haven't seen him for maybe...2-3 years before that (He was a a great skateboarder too). He would post some stuff here and there before his death. After his funeral, his mother was able to gain access to his account and continue posting stuff for him like memories and old photos of him and his family. So in a way, its like keeping his memory alive for everyone who misses him to see. I never got a chance to skate with him in person but I wish I did.

I think FB allows this for family members of those who passed now.
she can ride dick ham ham no joke ham

jomeara1

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2017, 09:44:34 AM »
Expand Quote
I deleted it about 6 years ago and it was the best thing I've ever done.� It was nothing but a distraction all the time especially when it came to school and homework.� If you can break the two week mark, then you're good.� You start to appreciate what life was like before all that shit came out and realize that people don't need it to live a normal life.� I don't know if facebook still does this, but I thought it was hilarious when I was ready to delete it and it actually tries to make you feel guilty about it.� A page came up with these random "friends" that I have on there and said "this person will miss you!"� I actually do believe there are people out there who are addicted to facebook and are physcially dependent on it like a drug.

The positive side of it though is that I completely agree that it is good to have if you wanna keep in touch with distant relatives or friends that live too far away to keep close to.� Most of my family lives pretty close by and a lot of my old friends from back then have kinda drifted apart so it doesn't really apply to me.

[close]

Yeah Facebook tried to guilt trip me when I started deactivating it. They also asked me why I was deleting it and tried to blame the problem on me by telling how I can cut down on Facebook. Seemed weird having facebook beg me not to leave. I also use email for my older family members who live in foreign countries as well as a app called wechat for my family members in China

Yeah its pretty ridiculous, but hilarious.  They should allow you to call Mark Zuckerburg after and say Ha Ha I win, and then hang up.

the snake

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 350
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2017, 11:39:28 AM »
hate it, but still use it for the sessions with the homies, by free messenger

...and to send crazy messages to the girls when i'm drunk haha
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 11:43:18 AM by the snake »

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 149
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2017, 11:55:44 AM »
I deleted it about 6 years ago and it was the best thing I've ever done.  It was nothing but a distraction all the time especially when it came to school and homework.  If you can break the two week mark, then you're good.  You start to appreciate what life was like before all that shit came out and realize that people don't need it to live a normal life.  I don't know if facebook still does this, but I thought it was hilarious when I was ready to delete it and it actually tries to make you feel guilty about it.  A page came up with these random "friends" that I have on there and said "this person will miss you!"  I actually do believe there are people out there who are addicted to facebook and are physcially dependent on it like a drug.

The positive side of it though is that I completely agree that it is good to have if you wanna keep in touch with distant relatives or friends that live too far away to keep close to.  Most of my family lives pretty close by and a lot of my old friends from back then have kinda drifted apart so it doesn't really apply to me.

deleted mine 5 yrs ago.  it's silly to believe you need it to keep in touch with people.

Joe Pesci

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2017, 02:30:04 PM »
Never really got into facebook so I can't say I stopped using it I guess, but I do have one. Snapchat on the other hand I deleted a while ago since it's never anything new, not to mention it's basically obsolete now that Instagram has incorporated essentially the exact same system of sending a photo that can only be seen for a couple seconds.

jomeara1

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2017, 03:27:03 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

deleted mine 5 yrs ago.  it's silly to believe you need it to keep in touch with people.

I can see if, lets say, your brother lived across the country and lost his phone or something and you had facebook as a backup to get in touch with him, but other then that I agree.  I think its kind of silly when people say they want to keep in touch with everyone from high school.  Its like whats the point of having a high school reunion years later (and also just moving on with your life) if you already know what everyone is up to all the time.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2017, 03:43:41 PM »
my family is spread all over the globe and i have young kids so i love it

it feels to me like people over think it or don't know how to use it

if you don't like seeing casual acquaintances humble bragging or posting random stuff then don't add them or delete them

if your wife's friends husband post annoying political stuff or prayers or some other annoying stuff and it'd be awkward to delete him then just use the "see less posts like this" feature

i couldn't imagine having kids and not having facebook unless my parents lived down the street which they don't. they live in a 12 hour time zone difference. my sister lives in london, my brother in sydney, my dad and step mom in perth, my mom in louisiana, etc... and i live in austin. so if me posting something good that happened like getting a new client or buying a truck or something makes you feel weird, delete me. no biggie. i'm not really posting that stuff for you and i'm mostly add people who send me friend request so i'd assume your interested in what's going on in my life on some level. maybe it's an age, lifestyle thing that makes it suck for some people. i've had some friends get really bumbed on it and make a big announcement and then focus like people do on here and i just don't get taking it that seriously. seems like after every election people start focusing.

Abyss1

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 149
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2017, 04:18:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I can see if, lets say, your brother lived across the country and lost his phone or something and you had facebook as a backup to get in touch with him, but other then that I agree.  I think its kind of silly when people say they want to keep in touch with everyone from high school.  Its like whats the point of having a high school reunion years later (and also just moving on with your life) if you already know what everyone is up to all the time.

yea but why not email instead of facebook if he lost his phone?  i know everyone uses that as opposed to that social narcotic...i dont even bother with reunions, never got its appeal

Pretty Serious

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2017, 04:51:23 PM »

Not trying to single you out, but wondering if with almost 1500 posts on a skateboard forum alone if it's something deeper..