Author Topic: Wheelbase Questions  (Read 57345 times)

Arto Saari

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 33
  • hasta la vista.. bear
Re: Wheelbase Questions
« Reply #150 on: November 25, 2018, 10:08:53 AM »
Didnt really know or care what wheelbase was until I got my current board. Habitat, 8.125 x 32 with 14.25 wheelbase. I have given up on kickflips. I never fucking pop the board so they rocket like crazy. Its a safety hazard at this point. All other tricks are fine.. Never experienced this in my almost 20 years of skating

I recently switched to venture trucks. Do they lengthen or shorten wheel base?

For reference im 5'6 and wear size 7 shoes :o

hey pickle

« Reply #151 on: November 25, 2018, 11:59:33 AM »
Didnt really know or care what wheelbase was until I got my current board. Habitat, 8.125 x 32 with 14.25 wheelbase. I have given up on kickflips. I never fucking pop the board so they rocket like crazy. Its a safety hazard at this point. All other tricks are fine.. Never experienced this in my almost 20 years of skating

For reference im 5'6 and wear size 7 shoes :o

14.25 is the 8.25 of wheelbases. and venture lengthen your wheelbase, either the same
amount or incredibly close to how thunders do

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #152 on: November 25, 2018, 12:54:59 PM »

Asking what impact "Truck X" has on wheelbase, alone, is an unanswerable: it is only relative to other trucks. To answer this question you also have to indicate what trucks you switch from

Also, I am 5'10 with a size 10 foot. I ride an 8.25 deluxe with 14.38 wheelbase and Indys. I find that when I ride 14.25 wheelbase that my stance feels really cramped. If do something like an ollie to 50/50 grind, my front foot always ends up a bit too far up the the nose. Also, when doing ollies, it feel like I cannot fully tap the power of the pop (like trying to swing a baseball bat with your hands really far up the bat). This often seem to rocket my kickflips because it feels like my front foot does not have enough time to fully tap the ollie mechanics before front foot is in the pocket of those nose starting the kickflip. I do not have this problem (as much) on 14.38wb.  Moreover, all of these problems seem worse when on 14.1 or 14wb.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 03:57:21 PM by Sedition »
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Arto Saari

• Rep: 33
  • hasta la vista.. bear
« Reply #153 on: November 25, 2018, 02:59:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Asking what impact "Truck X" has on wheelbase, alone, is an unanswerable: it is only relative to other trucks. To answer this question you also have to indicate what trucks you switch from

I rode ace trucks before the ventures. I would love to go back to ace, but the axel slip was insane so Im hesitant..

palelight

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 166
« Reply #154 on: November 25, 2018, 03:55:49 PM »
If your deck has the same wheelbase, going from Ace to Venture is the biggest increase in wheelbase you can make. To the order of like 5/8ths of an inch. That's going to take some getting used to for sure.

Quick reference (so long as you have the same deck wheelbase), shortest WB to longest: Ace/Theeve > Indy > Thunder > Venture. Having forged/cast plates can skew the numbers a bit either way, but more or less the same.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 03:57:31 PM by palelight »

emchen

• Rep: 20
« Reply #155 on: November 26, 2018, 09:23:25 AM »
I've noticed lots of DLX boards have huge wheelbases. Does this mean the entire REAL team is like, really strong?

I've only ridden 14" wb boards and I still whiff fakie tricks all the time and I'm 5'11". Makes me think I won't even be able to ollie on a 14.38" wb.

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #156 on: November 26, 2018, 11:04:28 AM »
I've noticed lots of DLX boards have huge wheelbases. Does this mean the entire REAL team is like, really strong?

I've only ridden 14" wb boards and I still whiff fakie tricks all the time and I'm 5'11". Makes me think I won't even be able to ollie on a 14.38" wb.

I don't think the wheelbase makes that much of a difference with the pop. I had a board with a 14" wheelbase and I ghost popped a lot more with it than a deck with 14.25" wheelbase that I had before. The 14" was just way too uncomfortable for me. There's much more to it than just wheelbase. Tail & nose lengths and angles, amount of flat before the bend of both and wheelbase. I feel way more comfortable popping properly on 14.5" than I do on 14" or 14.25" and thus get much better pop with those. 14.75" works too as does 15" but those I do notice requiring a bit more force to pop. Still, even with 14.5" there can be massive differences between boards.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 994
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #157 on: November 26, 2018, 11:05:21 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Also, I am 5'10 with a size 10 foot. I ride an 8.25 deluxe with 14.38 wheelbase and Indys. I find that when I ride 14.25 wheelbase that my stance feels really cramps. If do something like an ollie to 50/50 grind, my front foot always ends up a bit too far up the the nose. Also, when doing ollies, it feel like I cannot fully tap the power of the pop (like trying to swing a baseball bat with your hands really far up the bat). This often seem to rocket my kickflips because it feels like my front foot does not have enough time to fully tap the ollie mechanics before front foot is in the pocket of those nose starting the kickflip. I do not have this problem (as much) on 14.38wb.  Moreover, all of these problems seem worse when on 14.1 or 14wb.

Skatesynergy brosef.

I'm 5'10", US10, prefer 8.25" with that 14.3x WB (Indy/ACE/Theeve); anything smaller and I feel exactly like what you listed, I can get used to 14.25 with thunders but it still feels off.

It fucks up my ollies like you mentioned and skating tranny my front foot needs to be a bit into the front pocket, well over bolts.

What's worse? A 14.5" changes it the other way....we're talking fractions of a fucking inch, but I can feel it.

But you know why I want that damn 14.38 wb on a 8.25 full ;)

Fredonskateboard

• Rep: -5
« Reply #158 on: November 26, 2018, 12:43:32 PM »
Wheelbase is one thing. There can also be a slight flatspot between the bolts and where the tail/nose actually starts to curve/go up. I cant skate DLX boards with indy,s cause I just feel like I dont get the same leverage as with thunders. Which is exactly what happens anyway, with indys giving a shorter wheelbase.

Sedition

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 684
  • Fuck the revoltion. Bring on the apocalypse.
    • ThePastParticple avatar image
« Reply #159 on: November 26, 2018, 03:56:17 PM »
Skatesynergy brosef.

I'm 5'10", US10, prefer 8.25" with that 14.3x WB (Indy/ACE/Theeve); anything smaller and I feel exactly like what you listed, I can get used to 14.25 with thunders but it still feels off.

It fucks up my ollies like you mentioned and skating tranny my front foot needs to be a bit into the front pocket, well over bolts.

What's worse? A 14.5" changes it the other way....we're talking fractions of a fucking inch, but I can feel it.

But you know why I want that damn 14.38 wb on a 8.25 full ;)

100%, esp. on tranny! If I have a 14.25 or smaller, it ALWAYS feels like I am about to nose wheelie or something because my foot is too far forward (and if you lift those back wheels at all on tranny, you're going to wreck hard). Likewise, if I have 14.5, everything starts feeling really sluggish, esp on any type of 1/2 cab type trick (e.g. half-cab to railslide, half-cab to feeble to fakie, etc.). It's crazy how it's such a small difference in WB, but it seems to have really substantial difference in board feel/performance. The 14.38 feels just perfect to me. (I' ride an 8.5 FULL with a 14.6WB on full-size ramps/bowls, however). 

« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 03:59:40 PM by Sedition »
IG: ThePastParticiple

DLX 8.25  |  144 Forged  |  53mm Classic  |  Super Swiss 6

"Everything has been figured out, except how to live." -Sartre

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #160 on: September 27, 2019, 06:35:13 AM »
So I randomly resurrected one of the myriad wheelbase threads for this question but I wanted to see if anyone knows if anybody is selling longer wheelbase decks with 8" width?

I really like the DLX 8.06 Full but I don't see them often. Something close to or just under 14.5" that I can ride on 8" trucks.

Mr. Stinky

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 311
« Reply #161 on: September 27, 2019, 10:21:15 AM »
So I randomly resurrected one of the myriad wheelbase threads for this question but I wanted to see if anyone knows if anybody is selling longer wheelbase decks with 8" width?

I really like the DLX 8.06 Full but I don't see them often. Something close to or just under 14.5" that I can ride on 8" trucks.

Never tried one, but I heard somewhere Madness usually has shapes with crazy long wheelbases, maybe check them out. 

chappers

« Reply #162 on: September 27, 2019, 12:30:26 PM »
hockey has an 8.18 with an 14.8 wheelbase

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #163 on: September 27, 2019, 01:30:29 PM »

917 has some long ones listed as well. 8.18x14.8 I just assumed that was misprint.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
« Reply #164 on: September 27, 2019, 02:04:56 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

917 has some long ones listed as well. 8.18x14.8 I just assumed that was misprint.
Is it? Asking for a friend.

spanyard

• Rep: 77
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #165 on: September 27, 2019, 03:40:56 PM »
The recent FA/HOCKEY release with the listed 14.81 wb: it's a misprint. Supposed to say 14.18. verified by the boys at familia skate shop.

hillbilly shifty

• Rep: 46
« Reply #166 on: September 27, 2019, 04:15:32 PM »
is there a standard on how companies measure WB?
i would measure on center. but by doing that, not a lot of decks match their stated wheelbase

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #167 on: September 27, 2019, 10:11:03 PM »
The recent FA/HOCKEY release with the listed 14.81 wb: it's a misprint. Supposed to say 14.18. verified by the boys at familia skate shop.

Seems much more in line with their regular dimensions. Anyone know off top what the....baseplate adds to the total length? The companies that i want to checkout, don’t have those measurements up (wb, length, aaaaand width). Deluxe is the best, but they boards are usually too long for me. I’ll ride anything, but have the most fun from around 7.8 to 8.25. The bigger the board the shorter the wb needs to be tho. I think. But I could be convinced otherwise. Because I’m pathetic in that any promise of a day with easy 3flips aaaaaand kickflips is slipping away

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #168 on: September 27, 2019, 10:25:24 PM »
I haven't found a company which uses generator/BBS that runs regularly wheelbases less than 14.25. You're lucky if you even get 14.25.....I think DLX may run a board or two but yes, commonly long wheelbase.  This is one of the few reasons to skate crail or even dwindle, better dimensions.  I still suck it up and skate generator boards. 

Krooked antihero

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #169 on: September 28, 2019, 01:13:50 AM »
I haven't found a company which uses generator/BBS that runs regularly wheelbases less than 14.25. You're lucky if you even get 14.25.....I think DLX may run a board or two but yes, commonly long wheelbase.  This is one of the few reasons to skate crail or even dwindle, better dimensions.  I still suck it up and skate generator boards.
I feel you, would love to skate bbs boards but I feel like even 14.25 is too long for me nowadays, 14” wb ftw!
europe's like the capitol of england and france and whatever

It sucks getting old.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #170 on: September 28, 2019, 06:12:41 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I feel you, would love to skate bbs boards but I feel like even 14.25 is too long for me nowadays, 14” wb ftw!

AWS uses BBS and has some shorter WBs. Their 8.5 shape has 14.125, and they've definitely had some with a 14.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #171 on: September 28, 2019, 07:06:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

AWS uses BBS and has some shorter WBs. Their 8.5 shape has 14.125, and they've definitely had some with a 14.

Good call FI.
14.25 means only Indy’s for me. Dunno why. And it’s still not ideal.

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #172 on: September 28, 2019, 07:22:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

Good call FI.
14.25 means only Indy’s for me. Dunno why. And it’s still not ideal.

See, I'm super tall and always used to insist more WB is better. Now I like 14.38-14.75 with independent but will go with whatever as long as the board is at least like 32.25. That 8.5 AWS with the short WB felt just fine to me.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #173 on: September 28, 2019, 07:30:07 AM »
The thing about wheelbase is that if you skate a board with say a bit more nose or tail, you have a bad day, and suddenly you just break into a tantrum screaming....'fuck this longboard!!!!'

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #174 on: September 28, 2019, 10:15:10 AM »
The thing about wheelbase is that if you skate a board with say a bit more nose or tail, you have a bad day, and suddenly you just break into a tantrum screaming....'fuck this longboard!!!!'

Also true. I’m super not tall, 32 is my max, prefer less. I think.

AssFlea

• Rep: -31
« Reply #175 on: September 29, 2019, 12:01:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Seems much more in line with their regular dimensions. Anyone know off top what the....baseplate adds to the total length? The companies that i want to checkout, don’t have those measurements up (wb, length, aaaaand width). Deluxe is the best, but they boards are usually too long for me. I’ll ride anything, but have the most fun from around 7.8 to 8.25. The bigger the board the shorter the wb needs to be tho. I think. But I could be convinced otherwise. Because I’m pathetic in that any promise of a day with easy 3flips aaaaaand kickflips is slipping away

base plate ad length to wheelbase? Do you mean re drilling or something?

Also straight trick like kickflips and  heelflips are better with a longer WB. Tre not so much though.
_--
xX
^    @
''')'
'''''

thebacker

« Reply #176 on: September 29, 2019, 12:45:35 AM »
14.75 is really fun honestly. 10/10 would recommend

lou dawg

• Rep: -1
« Reply #177 on: September 30, 2019, 06:56:33 AM »
I currently have a 14.2, a 14.6, and a 15. All set up for the random shit I skate at FDR.

If you want to charge into things like curbs, coping, and pool coping, the longer ones are great.

For ledges and street, that 14.2 is perfect.

It's hard for me to only skate one thing. So I just mess around with shapes and wheelbases. It can be frustrating but it totally matters.

I went almost 20 years with old heads telling it didn't matter and that it was all on me to make the board work.

I would also try to figure out whether you like hi or lo trucks and take it from there.

Otherwise, fuck that boomer ass logic about "You just don't want it enough" or "you're not trying hard enough".

Figure out what you like and go from there. This shit can be too expensive for you to hate what you have.

If the board company doesn't provide that info, maybe they suck.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 06:58:40 AM by lou dawg »

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 762
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #178 on: September 30, 2019, 12:49:46 PM »
is there a standard on how companies measure WB?
i would measure on center. but by doing that, not a lot of decks match their stated wheelbase

It's the center of the inside mounting hole to the other inside mounting hole.

This picture shows how a wheelbase is measured.

Yesterdays-pop

• Rep: -388
« Reply #179 on: September 30, 2019, 06:57:37 PM »
14.75 is good for me now but I skate a 14@ here and there just fine.
Feel like I’ve wasted a lot of money throughout my life buying boards with favorite pros names on them only to not be able to kickflip for a couple days because I was changing wheelbases every deck.
Figure out what works and stick with it and don’t think about it.
On another note, I feel like Girl actually has really good board width to wheelbase ratios. I think they have good good and good concave. I like the cardiel/Cory shape they have and girl wood lasts and feels no different than dlx, just better(more mellow) concave and 14.75 wheelbase on girl, 14.8 on dlx.
Rode a 14.25 a month ago and focused after I couldn’t land anything for 20minutes also threw New Balances I was wearing away