Author Topic: The HD 4:3 thread  (Read 70128 times)

burtreynolds.jpeg

Re: The HD 4:3 thread
« Reply #270 on: February 13, 2021, 08:23:41 AM »
I'm contemplating getting the Canon XA11. Does anyone have any advice on modding an MK1 or 2 for it? Saw that dude who filmed the Homies 2 video used that cam and it looks really tight.

CossRooper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 137
  • What are you up to, drawing leafs?
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #271 on: February 14, 2021, 05:24:42 PM »

seriously great clip, and makes me want to go to Vienna real bad, but this is VX right?

r000000b

• Rep: 0
« Reply #272 on: February 16, 2021, 06:11:26 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

seriously great clip, and makes me want to go to Vienna real bad, but this is VX right?

I think you're right. showed up in my yt recommended and I just saw 4:3 HD... but I can't tell if its just a really good capture upscaled or maybe one those tapeless setups or something.

Judychamagnee

• Rep: 1
« Reply #273 on: February 17, 2021, 12:19:26 AM »
I'm contemplating getting the Canon XA11. Does anyone have any advice on modding an MK1 or 2 for it? Saw that dude who filmed the Homies 2 video used that cam and it looks really tight.

Vx1000 bayo ring fits the xa11 :)
Currently my setup
« Last Edit: February 17, 2021, 12:36:40 AM by Judychamagnee »

suckmadeck

• Rep: 28
« Reply #274 on: February 18, 2021, 08:12:09 AM »
I was just speaking to Dan Magee and apparently him & Nick Richards tried an MK1 bayo on a HPX and couldn't get focus. So I'm wondering if those test shots from a HPX with the MK1 are using the screw mount MK1, or a series of step up/step down rings with the bayo removed. Those OG thread mount MK1's are super rare, so I have a feeling just using an Opteka with 2/3 spacer rings would work better.

bataaard

• Rep: 42
« Reply #275 on: February 18, 2021, 05:28:10 PM »
I've used the bayo MK1 on the HMC, and Vincent Jugnet a MK1 bayo on the HPX.
It focuses.
Maybe Magee's camera got hit and lost it's macro abilities.

The opteka is nothing compared to the mk1 in my opinion. Plus when you use spacers, you add vignette and win a bit of space but at the same time loose a bit of wideness because you put the fisheye further from the lens.

Expand Quote
[close]

Vx1000 bayo ring fits the xa11 :)
Currently my setup
this is so good !

felpsone

« Reply #276 on: February 18, 2021, 06:05:52 PM »
Hey yall. I’m brand new to filming, so I apologize if this is a stupid question.

Is is possible to make a good setup with APS-C? I’ve read through this thread and saw that most people are running micro 4/3. Thanks in advance.

doyle

• Rep: 212
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #277 on: February 19, 2021, 10:47:11 AM »
The sensor size is important because you need to find a fisheye wide enough to work decently when cropped for 4:3.

I'm not sure what fisheye would be wider than a zoomed out Canon 8-15 on an APS-C sensor, but here's what that looks like (uncropped and cropped for 4:3):

And here's a skating example:

I'm not 100% sure that line is shot with APS-C/Canon 8-15, but the distortion and vignetting sure looks like it (and I lined up the 16:9 version to the example above to compare and they're pretty identical).

Robertdbanks

« Reply #278 on: February 20, 2021, 02:07:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

hmc150 opteka mk2

but that mk1 made me nut
[close]

how do you make hmc150 film 4x3? when I put mine into the timeline and crop I can't get my fisheye to look like that. it must be filmed in 4x3 no?
[close]

Also curious. Footage looks sick enjoyed the couple of mins I watched.
[close]

he spaced out the fisheye with spacer rings/cheap filters with the glass knocked out and then made a 960x720 timeline in post. theres a 4:3 cropline you can turn on in the camera too for previewing what its going to see too.

Footage looked great, trying to get this same look for the 4:3 fish on the hmc. Any more info on how many spacer rings and such to get it where it needs to be?

Marsellus Wallace

• Rep: 2
« Reply #279 on: February 21, 2021, 12:11:51 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

I think you're right. showed up in my yt recommended and I just saw 4:3 HD... but I can't tell if its just a really good capture upscaled or maybe one those tapeless setups or something.
vx1000 and few trv900 clips. no tapeless setup just upscaling to 1080p

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #280 on: February 21, 2021, 07:54:50 PM »
Couple of great examples:

Marsellus Wallace

• Rep: 2
« Reply #281 on: February 24, 2021, 01:37:16 AM »
naive question but how does a baby death would look on one of these smaller hd camcorders?
Im asking because my 37mm baby death looks suprisingly similar to the mk1 on my trv900 (52mm) and Im dreaming of an 4:3 HD setup but don´t want to invest that much money

what if i mount the baby death with a stepdown ring on one of those hd camcorders (with 46mm, for example) and crop it to 4:3 to get rid of that huge vignette? Any good camcorders you could recommend?

bataaard

« Reply #282 on: February 25, 2021, 01:27:11 AM »
i tried it on my ax700.
It looks good. but you need to crop a lot.
your longlens and fisheye video with the camera will have a big difference of quality then, unless you blur a little bit the longlens files.

If you can't afford the mk1 its the best option for this camera since it looks better than the optekas

aquilateufo

« Reply #283 on: February 25, 2021, 09:45:16 AM »

I feel like Diego Meek might be inadvertently stealing the 4:3 hd competition with these mesmerizing colors...
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 01:37:02 PM by aquilateufo »

Trabajando

« Reply #284 on: February 28, 2021, 06:06:30 PM »
I'm new to this forum, but one of my videos of the meike 3.5 GH4 combo has already been shared here!

I've been trying to figure this out for a while. Use a GH4 and have tried the LAOWA 4mm. The quality and the wideness was good but I did not like the glare the fisheye had.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/NeoYc1z_JF8

I recently switched to the meike 3.5 mm and it is a wonderful lens especially for the price but I am starting to notice that I do not particularly love the quality of the edges of the image. I know that this is the least important part of the fisheye, but it seems to be something the MK1 and canon 8 to 15 mm lenses do very well. Tell me, do you see the mark of a booboo fisheye in this Meike 3.5mm GH4 footage? I kinda do, but I would say it's pretty minimal compared to the 6mm especially for the price.
It's like some fisheyes (meike) feel 2d while the Mk1 and 8-15 have a more 3D feeling
Does anyone know about the PELENG or the Tokina fisheyes and how they compare to the Canon. I am also interested in the canon FD fisheye but I'm an FD nerd.

If budget is your main priority, the GH4 Meike 3.5 mm setup is in my opinion by far the lowest cost highest quality footage. However if that Primitive / April Skateboards quality is what you are going for, and not the poor man's version, I think the canon 8-15 is just going to have to be the winner for DSLRS here, I do not believe it's been topped in quality.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/KHw1RM5mBaA

I love how this image looks in many other ways, but another thing I don't love about it is how small is, it is improving my accuracy for sure but I may save up for a used canon 8 to 15 just for the peace of mind. I would love to hear some

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #285 on: March 01, 2021, 10:50:32 PM »
I'm new to this forum, but one of my videos of the meike 3.5 GH4 combo has already been shared here!

I've been trying to figure this out for a while. Use a GH4 and have tried the LAOWA 4mm. The quality and the wideness was good but I did not like the glare the fisheye had.

I recently switched to the meike 3.5 mm and it is a wonderful lens especially for the price but I am starting to notice that I do not particularly love the quality of the edges of the image. I know that this is the least important part of the fisheye, but it seems to be something the MK1 and canon 8 to 15 mm lenses do very well. Tell me, do you see the mark of a booboo fisheye in this Meike 3.5mm GH4 footage? I kinda do, but I would say it's pretty minimal compared to the 6mm especially for the price.
It's like some fisheyes (meike) feel 2d while the Mk1 and 8-15 have a more 3D feeling
Does anyone know about the PELENG or the Tokina fisheyes and how they compare to the Canon. I am also interested in the canon FD fisheye but I'm an FD nerd.

If budget is your main priority, the GH4 Meike 3.5 mm setup is in my opinion by far the lowest cost highest quality footage. However if that Primitive / April Skateboards quality is what you are going for, and not the poor man's version, I think the canon 8-15 is just going to have to be the winner for DSLRS here, I do not believe it's been topped in quality.

I love how this image looks in many other ways, but another thing I don't love about it is how small is, it is improving my accuracy for sure but I may save up for a used canon 8 to 15 just for the peace of mind. I would love to hear some

i have the 4mm laowa aswell, dont love it for video because of the grip being in the right hand corner. do you have it cropped in on the censor/or have it filming at 4:3 and it crops on its own? ive shot some 1:1 photos with it and it works for instagram.

bataaard

« Reply #286 on: March 02, 2021, 01:50:44 AM »

avoid the peleng, it has big ugly flares

Trabajando

« Reply #287 on: March 02, 2021, 11:19:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

i have the 4mm laowa aswell, dont love it for video because of the grip being in the right hand corner. do you have it cropped in on the censor/or have it filming at 4:3 and it crops on its own? ive shot some 1:1 photos with it and it works for instagram.

I shot on the Laowa in normal modes in cropped in camera either in 1080 60 or 4k 30 and cropped in, camera body did not bother me as much as the dark glare around the edge, I also think this lens is clearer than the meike lens. For photo I feel like you are golden, but for video you have to do a decent amount of work to get it right, but for the entry level price its a great lens to develop your skills, pretty much the only cheaper alternative is a phone fisheye.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 517
« Reply #288 on: March 03, 2021, 09:13:40 PM »
Decided to start filming a few clips here and there again. Dusted of the a7ii, bought a sennheiser mke400 and using my Tokina 10-17mm fisheye to crop to 4:3 and Tamron 24-75mm 2.8 for long lens. A7ii definitely isn't the best video camera and long lens on dslr/mirrorless cameras sucks but it seems like it'll do the job. The tamron is parfocal and zooms somewhat smooth, running apsc crop and the internal stabilizer should suffice, slight loss in quality, but still looks better than an hpx resolution wise. The Tokina fisheye is crazy wide at 10mm though, easily as wide as a vx and looks great.

Might start another thread for this, but anyone got any tips for a7ii settings or anything. I had a picture profile with cine2 but filmed a few clips today and the highlights were crazy blown out. cine4 seems to handle it a little better, but not quite sure what else to tinker with for best results. I've never used the a7 for video before and the menus are confusing as shit so any input is appreciated. Also audio settings? Just max the gain on the mke400 and crank it down in camera?

EdwardVsShark

• Rep: 3
« Reply #289 on: March 05, 2021, 11:36:25 AM »
Lens comparison coming within a day or two. Shooting on both the GH4 and GH5 in 4k 4:3 anamorphic and 16:9 FHD, 30fps and 60fps
Gear: https://imgur.com/a/yZXiwPK
« Last Edit: March 05, 2021, 01:23:16 PM by EdwardVsShark »

brbr

• Rep: 7
« Reply #290 on: March 13, 2021, 11:30:04 AM »

Just did a little test : gh4+meike 3,5mm  ;)

JMSneep

• Rep: 147
« Reply #291 on: March 18, 2021, 05:00:22 AM »
quick clip with my GH4 + meike 3.5mm combined with some VX-longlens

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #292 on: March 18, 2021, 10:35:24 AM »

Looks so good! And they go together surprisingly well visually. The difference in sound is (obviously) so stark tho.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #293 on: March 18, 2021, 10:43:03 AM »

the combo of the gh4 and meike looks good.

fickdiepolizei666

• Rep: -7
« Reply #294 on: March 20, 2021, 02:36:27 AM »

looks really good!
what rig are you using?

suckmadeck

« Reply #295 on: March 24, 2021, 12:38:37 PM »
So I received some advice from Beltway and got my Kapkur/Opteka 52mm fisheye to fit on my Panasonic HPX171. Here is an example:

I shot at 720p 50p, f1.7 for under the bridge and in direct sun around f4.8. My shutter was I believe 250 or 500. Even wide open the vignette is sharp corner to corner. This setup is ridiculous, I'm used to how heavy the HPX is, but having to get even closer to the skater to fill the frame with a camera heavier than a VX1000 reminds me of my DVX100b and Opteka 72mm setup.

All I did in the edit was create a timeline at 1440x1080 at 50p, scaled up to 150% and it was spot on. No need to scale up anymore, or adjust the vignette at all. I'm very happy with the results and plan on using it on a paid gig I'm working on currently. 

CossRooper

• SLAP Pal
    • timecube avatar image
« Reply #296 on: March 24, 2021, 12:42:33 PM »
So I received some advice from Beltway and got my Kapkur/Opteka 52mm fisheye to fit on my Panasonic HPX171. Here is an example

looks crisp!!

suckmadeck

« Reply #297 on: March 24, 2021, 03:11:55 PM »
Expand Quote
So I received some advice from Beltway and got my Kapkur/Opteka 52mm fisheye to fit on my Panasonic HPX171. Here is an example
[close]

looks crisp!!

Cheers! I'm kinda stunned it worked so well. I honestly think 4:3 HD is the future, 16x9 looks too slow and the lenses for 16x9 (Xtreme especially) costs waayyyy too much.

HernyB

« Reply #298 on: March 25, 2021, 08:39:33 AM »
So I received some advice from Beltway and got my Kapkur/Opteka 52mm fisheye to fit on my Panasonic HPX171. Here is an example:

I shot at 720p 50p, f1.7 for under the bridge and in direct sun around f4.8. My shutter was I believe 250 or 500. Even wide open the vignette is sharp corner to corner. This setup is ridiculous, I'm used to how heavy the HPX is, but having to get even closer to the skater to fill the frame with a camera heavier than a VX1000 reminds me of my DVX100b and Opteka 72mm setup.

All I did in the edit was create a timeline at 1440x1080 at 50p, scaled up to 150% and it was spot on. No need to scale up anymore, or adjust the vignette at all. I'm very happy with the results and plan on using it on a paid gig I'm working on currently.

That looks perfect. Just curious why use the 52mm fisheye versus the 72? I guess this is wider with less step rings and spacers?

suckmadeck

« Reply #299 on: March 25, 2021, 04:50:31 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

That looks perfect. Just curious why use the 52mm fisheye versus the 72? I guess this is wider with less step rings and spacers?

I tried with a 72mm fisheye and 3 spacers and the vignette was so soft. It looked awful! I don't even think it was that wide compared to this.