Author Topic: Vegan skate shoes  (Read 171315 times)

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Vegan skate shoes
« Reply #1800 on: February 21, 2023, 05:41:41 AM »
Those Gillettes seem sorta interesting but why are they so expensive. It’s just a basic vulc, no?
There’s a tiny bit of new tech in there, like the ventilation on the instep side of the shoe, but not enough to bump it up to that pricepoint

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1801 on: February 25, 2023, 12:52:50 PM »
I know there's low tolerance for Nike in this thread, but there's new canvas Blazer low coming out with some unique foxing tape/toe cap going on. Link has more details on the partnership:
https://www.nike.com/launch/t/nike-sb-blazer-low-x-doyenne-coconut-milk-and-rattan

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1802 on: February 28, 2023, 11:26:29 AM »
copied from the General thread, looks like we're (finally) getting a vegan-friendly Crockett. Although the way they've done it with the one-piece upper, it kinda just looks like a wafflecup LRAB VM001 high

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1803 on: February 28, 2023, 03:54:14 PM »
copied from the General thread, looks like we're (finally) getting a vegan-friendly Crockett. Although the way they've done it with the one-piece upper, it kinda just looks like a wafflecup LRAB VM001 high

you know I was just thinking the other day, “why oh why can’t they do an all canvas Crockett?” Not sure I dig the colourway, but it might be the first pair of vans I buy in a long long time.

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1804 on: February 28, 2023, 05:58:03 PM »
Quoting in case some of you don’t read the NB# thread:
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don't work for NB and I've never had a pair of 440s, but even I know everyone in this thread who has had them complains about the sole wearing quickly. I'm still looking forward to the vegan-friendly 440s so I can try it out for myself tho!
[close]

I totally get and have seen those comments but most of them seemed to just have super longer lasting uppers and then the person wears out the sole unit before the upper mostly.  We put a lot of durability in our upper so that makes a lot of sense to me, it's not always going to be even on that.  I really wanted to make sure there wasn't a full blown manufacturing issue with them that we needed to address. 
Vegan ones coming in July/Aug!  Hopefully you can snag some.  440's and 272's in that batch.
[close]
Is there still going to be a 420 colorway around 7/10? Also, is the vegan 440 a Ryan Lay colorway or just a team model?
[close]
There is a 420 coming out this year sometime, most likely around that 7/10 date again as it's been hard to hit April 20 for production lately.
The Vegan ones are just team colorways and not tied to a rider. 

Xen

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 990
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1805 on: February 28, 2023, 06:38:08 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
you know I was just thinking the other day, “why oh why can’t they do an all canvas Crockett?” Not sure I dig the colourway, but it might be the first pair of vans I buy in a long long time.

My ankle broke just looking at that shoe.

jkadams

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1806 on: March 01, 2023, 03:11:46 PM »
> My ankle broke just looking at that shoe.

@Xen why do you say that?  high tops in general, or something specific with these?

looks like there might be some black ones too: 

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1807 on: March 01, 2023, 03:34:22 PM »
Oh damn I like those all-black ones way better. I didn’t love the waffle cup when I had the vegan old skool bmx a few years ago, but I think that was mostly because the upper was really stiff. Canvas upper might resolve that

jkadams

« Reply #1808 on: March 01, 2023, 03:56:24 PM »
not in love with these, and not sure they're even built for skating, but hemp cupsole high tops:

https://www.dcshoes.com/men%2527s-manteca-4-hi-high-top-shoes-194466391267.html

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1809 on: March 02, 2023, 04:49:30 AM »
Oh damn I like those all-black ones way better. 

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 98
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #1810 on: March 04, 2023, 06:03:57 AM »
I know there's low tolerance for Nike in this thread, but there's new canvas Blazer low coming out with some unique foxing tape/toe cap going on. Link has more details on the partnership:
https://www.nike.com/launch/t/nike-sb-blazer-low-x-doyenne-coconut-milk-and-rattan

A Blazer mid vegan is my dream skate shoe
Cocteau Twins

The real veganshawn

• What the fuck was that
« Reply #1811 on: March 04, 2023, 06:05:09 AM »
not in love with these, and not sure they're even built for skating, but hemp cupsole high tops:

https://www.dcshoes.com/men%2527s-manteca-4-hi-high-top-shoes-194466391267.html
Looks like a dunk
Cocteau Twins

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1812 on: March 07, 2023, 06:07:18 PM »
Crockett confirmed on insta that the black colourway is all canvas and that there’s another all canvas colourway (perhaps the cream/ quasi one that got leaked?) coming before that too!
Guess I’ll get the 440s over the summer and then the black Crocketts for winter!

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1813 on: March 10, 2023, 06:46:48 AM »

One of the Vans collector/preview accounts posted this last night. Judging by the shape of the toe bumper foxing I'm guessing that these will be a Vans Vault release, or maybe under the classics. No release date given, only "coming later"

The real veganshawn

• What the fuck was that
« Reply #1814 on: March 21, 2023, 12:04:34 PM »
I'm excited about the new Last Resort shoe 😞
Cocteau Twins

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1815 on: March 22, 2023, 06:40:06 AM »
That half cab looks terrible … how hard is it to bring out a pro or 92 in a vegan colourway? Very hard apparently!
I back LRAB regardless of colourways, they do at least 1 vegan option every drop.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1816 on: March 22, 2023, 01:01:58 PM »
The white canvas Quasi Crocketts are up on paradeworld. Still can't tell if that outsole is black or a dark olive green

https://www.paradeworld.com/products/vans-gilbert-crockett-high-quasi-white-canvas-rubber-shoes-244-8190349705533/

Pasta Monster

« Reply #1817 on: March 22, 2023, 03:14:49 PM »
Not the same as buying from Uprise or Venue but you get:
Free shipping plus 20% off with DADDIES20

https://www.daddiesboardshop.com/products/vans-crockett-high-decon-shoes-white?variant=42673575329960&edit=42673575329960:7e0eb92d2084742e1d6a175c9c8baff0

I’ve found links to shop sites with the shoes, but the pages aren’t active yet. I wonder if they are supposed to release Friday or Saturday.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1818 on: March 22, 2023, 08:51:23 PM »
I didn’t even notice the price tag on these. $95 is steep

Dead to Me

• Rep: 74
« Reply #1819 on: March 23, 2023, 01:42:10 PM »
Not stoked on cariuma being the first thing I see whenever i google vegan skate shoes. Really trying to avoid buying anymore canvas shoes but all the other synthetic suede options are so pricey and/or the shoes are hideous.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #1820 on: March 23, 2023, 01:57:22 PM »
Not stoked on cariuma being the first thing I see whenever i google vegan skate shoes. Really trying to avoid buying anymore canvas shoes but all the other synthetic suede options are so pricey and/or the shoes are hideous.
You can hunt down old seasons of NB#420 if SoleTech isn’t your thing. It’s all synthetic and NB confirmed that they use water-based glue. Samaria Brevard had a 213 [vulc] model that’s vegan-friendly. Otherwise, you’re stuck with Nike Blazer Courts or CONS CTAS (which may or may not have animal-based adhesives).

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1821 on: March 23, 2023, 02:27:01 PM »
If you're not opposed to the Swoosh, Nike just released some canvas dunk mids this week (going fast, but not as fast as most dunks usually go). They're non-SBs tho. Couple colors out now, and looks like more are on the way.
https://www.nike.com/t/dunk-mid-mens-shoes-RHtFM2/DV0830-001
EDIT: Nevermind, it's a leather swoosh. My bad.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2023, 10:31:47 AM by kneebone »

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1822 on: March 23, 2023, 02:30:45 PM »
I'm a broken record here, but the eS Caspian are great synth suede vulc, and can usually be found on sale for cheap. Not all colors are synth, but the ones that are are clearly labeled

Dead to Me

• Rep: 74
« Reply #1823 on: March 23, 2023, 03:13:49 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
You can hunt down old seasons of NB#420 if SoleTech isn’t your thing. It’s all synthetic and NB confirmed that they use water-based glue. Samaria Brevard had a 213 [vulc] model that’s vegan-friendly. Otherwise, you’re stuck with Nike Blazer Courts or CONS CTAS (which may or may not have animal-based adhesives).
Im skating the NB#213s right now and couldn’t find anymore in my size. Not a big fan of the 420s but may just try the Nike Blazer courts in the future, thanks.

@kneebone I ended up just copping the silos since i saw they were on sale too but think im going to give the kaspians a shot next. Wish they had better colorways but ill take it for the sale price for sure. Appreciate the suggestions

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1824 on: March 23, 2023, 07:24:48 PM »
Spanly KSLs in all black synth yo!

jkadams

« Reply #1825 on: March 24, 2023, 06:46:16 PM »
"Leather on the Swoosh and heel tab adds a premium touch."

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 145
« Reply #1826 on: March 24, 2023, 06:51:20 PM »

I've been saying this for awhile but companies will happily ostracize a potential market of buyers just so they can put a leather logo or panel somewhere on an otherwise vegan shoe. The Cordura Cons posted recently with the suede heel tab strip was a particularly egregious offender.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1827 on: March 24, 2023, 10:54:43 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I've been saying this for awhile but companies will happily ostracize a potential market of buyers just so they can put a leather logo or panel somewhere on an otherwise vegan shoe. The Cordura Cons posted recently with the suede heel tab strip was a particularly egregious offender.
pet hate!
I mean if you’re gunna put on the Ollie area to reinforce it, then sure but putting it ONLY on heel tabs etc. is so fucking pointless!!!

Pasta Monster

« Reply #1828 on: March 25, 2023, 01:26:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
pet hate!
I mean if you’re gunna put on the Ollie area to reinforce it, then sure but putting it ONLY on heel tabs etc. is so fucking pointless!!!
Converse, Lakai and Nike are terrible when it comes to this.

I’m confused about DC because they only label the non-skate stuff as vegan but the canvas or ripstop models of Kalis Vulc, for example, don’t get labeled vegan.

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #1829 on: March 25, 2023, 05:20:07 AM »