Author Topic: Vegan skate shoes  (Read 169877 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Vegan skate shoes
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2017, 09:29:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
"Features:
Drop-In G6 Foot bed"
Says right there. I've got a pair of grey ones (non-vegan) lined up and it's a normal removable insole.
[close]
perhaps I should rephrase that; I know it's removable, but it looks like it's extra thick (ala Suciu's shoe) so I'm wondering if a regular replacement insole would be way too thin?
[close]

It's not the cheap thin foam thing that for example the Romeros have. I can take pics when I get home if you want.

Alright. Made some measurements and took some pics.

Emerica Herman G6 Vulc
Cons CTAS Pro
Vans Slip On Pro

Height of the insole on the heel & ball area of your foot:

Emerica: 10 mm / 5 mm
Cons: 10 mm / 6 mm
Vans: 11,5 mm / 5mm

I've never even seen the Sucius live, so I can't compare to those, but comparing to Vans and Cons, I'd say that the Herman G6 Vulc insoles are normal.

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2017, 06:34:10 AM »
Here is the answer from Converse (originally in french) :

Dear Thomas,

Thank you for your interest in our Converse shoes.

Currently, we don't have any products for which we can suppose they are vegan.

Most materials we are using do not contain products of animal origin.

However, these products are made in a warehouse which may contain products of animal origin.

For this reason, we cannot say our products are truly vegan.

Don't hesitate to contact us for further information.

Regards,

Nicolas
Converse.com
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

kook nukem

« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2017, 11:44:35 PM »
Didn't know there were this many vegans on Slap. Awesome.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 342
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2017, 10:44:47 AM »

Expand Quote

However, these products are made in a warehouse which may contain products of animal origin.

[close]
This is such an absurd statement.  By that logic, nothing that Emerica makes could be labeled vegan either because they make leather shoes in the same factory.

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -7
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2017, 11:51:23 AM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
This is such an absurd statement.  By that logic, nothing that Emerica makes could be labeled vegan either because they make leather shoes in the same factory.

I think that's what they were trying to communicate. "Our shit basically vegan!" without actually saying it, which allows them to use animals products in anything. They're fronting like it's an allergy lol.

This is how they have responded in the past. Many people think they use whatever glue is cheapest at the time, which including animal glues.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 76
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2017, 05:23:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
"Features:
Drop-In G6 Foot bed"
Says right there. I've got a pair of grey ones (non-vegan) lined up and it's a normal removable insole.
[close]
perhaps I should rephrase that; I know it's removable, but it looks like it's extra thick (ala Suciu's shoe) so I'm wondering if a regular replacement insole would be way too thin?
[close]

It's not the cheap thin foam thing that for example the Romeros have. I can take pics when I get home if you want.
[close]

Alright. Made some measurements and took some pics.

Emerica Herman G6 Vulc
Cons CTAS Pro
Vans Slip On Pro

Height of the insole on the heel & ball area of your foot:

Emerica: 10 mm / 5 mm
Cons: 10 mm / 6 mm
Vans: 11,5 mm / 5mm

I've never even seen the Sucius live, so I can't compare to those, but comparing to Vans and Cons, I'd say that the Herman G6 Vulc insoles are normal.

gnars for all you boys, gotta love that you really do your homework. That Herman colourway was really pulling on my heartstrings but as I said, I can't do red anything... think I might just have to chill on them because as krooked anti said would probably fuck with the dynamics too much :-\

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2017, 05:27:59 PM »
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
this! I don't think (m)any vegans would really get angry at a non-vegan restaurant if they provided vegan options and labelled them accordingly. "Um yeah, this is vegan pizza but we can't label it as such because we offer meat dishes too"
If you all want to nerd on what companies actually think, do checkout https://vegan8.me/vegan-athletic-shoes/vegan-athletic-shoes-2015/
It's two years old but there's so good insights in there. Really surprised that emerica didn't respond as they have also been very vocal about offering vegan options ???

kook nukem

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2017, 10:15:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
This is such an absurd statement.  By that logic, nothing that Emerica makes could be labeled vegan either because they make leather shoes in the same factory.
[close]
this! I don't think (m)any vegans would really get angry at a non-vegan restaurant if they provided vegan options and labelled them accordingly. "Um yeah, this is vegan pizza but we can't label it as such because we offer meat dishes too"
If you all want to nerd on what companies actually think, do checkout https://vegan8.me/vegan-athletic-shoes/vegan-athletic-shoes-2015/
It's two years old but there's so good insights in there. Really surprised that emerica didn't respond as they have also been very vocal about offering vegan options ???

Etnies didn't either, which is really surprising. They seem to be at the forefront of vegan-friendly skate footwear. Maybe this was a bit before they took on this role? In my short time as a vegan, I have noticed that companies either embrace the term and image of being vegan-friendly or look at it as a dirty word, thinking it might hurt their consumer base.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2017, 10:17:27 PM by kook nukem »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2017, 11:15:30 PM »
My guess is the initial message didn't even make it anywhere near anyone in charge because sole tech brands (even since the sheep days) have been quite clear about which shoes contain/ don't contain animal products.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2017, 02:06:01 PM »
the past few seasons of Huf catalogs have also been very good about including a 'vegan' icon next to the corresponding colorways

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2017, 05:56:13 AM »
the past few seasons of Huf catalogs have also been very good about including a 'vegan' icon next to the corresponding colorways
true BUT the last few seasons have only had 1 or 2 options max whereas previous seasons (esp. when the Sutter was still around) had a lot more choices. Like NB#, I think huf could really capitalize on this opportunity and make more vegan options but in reality there still probably isn't enough need in the market to justify them bringing out a whole bunch of vegan models. Speaking of whole vegan lineups, anyone seen/ tried that vegan line by emerica yet? What was called again, the emery?

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #41 on: June 20, 2017, 06:20:20 AM »
Posted this already in the Nike thread, but also relevant here.  Looks like a vegan-friendly dunk is coming out shortly

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #42 on: June 20, 2017, 06:23:17 AM »
Interesting, I always wanted to try a pair, hopefully they dont go the Janoski route and put suede on the inside

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2017, 12:53:18 PM »
Interesting, I always wanted to try a pair, hopefully they dont go the Janoski route and put suede on the inside
Janoski's have had a faux suede lining ever since the 3rd or 4th season.  anyhow, these look like a textile lining

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2017, 05:45:09 PM »
tried on some of those canvas white Arto NB#s the other day. tts but a little bit tight, would probs go up half a size if I wore thick socks.
Next pair of shoes will be them or the Ryan Lay etnies (which I still haven't tried on). Speaking of vegan kicks, this was in the other thread and shows just how all over the place HUF's labeling is:
http://www.digitalcircle.com/temp/Huf-2017-Fall.png
there' no way those Boyds (or the classic lows in black/ gum and oxblood) are vegan unless they are using synth which I highly doubt... on the flip side those welded black Sotos look pretty nice!

el chino

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -375
  • ants suck!
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2017, 03:27:26 PM »
Came here expecting to see a bunch of vegan shoes....   nope, just slap talk
<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="http://imgur.com/a/8ph4y/embed"></iframe>

Glue Reed

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 159
« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2017, 05:06:41 PM »
Has anybody tried those Vans Rapidweld lite's?  Those are full vegan from what I understand.

Was thinking about checking them out, my feet can't handle era's and slip ons anymore.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2017, 05:44:37 PM »
Has anybody tried those Vans Rapidweld lite's?  Those are full vegan from what I understand.

Was thinking about checking them out, my feet can't handle era's and slip ons anymore.
these joints?
http://veganskateblog.com/shoes/vans-av-rapidweld-pro-lite
I haven't but I really liked that maroon colourway when it first came out. From what I've hear that don't breathe that well but if you want to rock vans (and can't do Rowley 1's anymore) then they'd probably be your best bet.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #48 on: June 26, 2017, 06:22:21 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
these joints?
I haven't but I really liked that maroon colourway when it first came out. From what I've hear that don't breathe that well but if you want to rock vans (and can't do Rowley 1's anymore) then they'd probably be your best bet.
i've got these right now and i love them.  The past couple years i've been wearing only cons ctas low's and huf classic low's, so the first nice change was not having to superglue anything.  Second nice change is that the rapidwelds really lock your heel in place, due to the increase padding/bulk in the shoe.  My foot feels really stable in the shoe, but also the shoe is still fairly slim.  I haven't really experienced any of the breathability issues noted above.

aloftystandard

• Rep: 2
« Reply #49 on: June 26, 2017, 02:35:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
these joints?
[close]

i've got these right now and i love them.  The past couple years i've been wearing only cons ctas low's and huf classic low's, so the first nice change was not having to superglue anything.  Second nice change is that the rapidwelds really lock your heel in place, due to the increase padding/bulk in the shoe.  My foot feels really stable in the shoe, but also the shoe is still fairly slim.  I haven't really experienced any of the breathability issues noted above.

Ive been skating these for a couple months now and I love them. I scooped them up at a Vans outlet for dirt cheap. Cant go wrong with anything AVE. The blue color way dropping soon looks real good. Im looking foward to the Andrew Allen slip ons. Pro slip on in canvas with the ollie pad. Dream come true.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #50 on: June 26, 2017, 08:07:28 PM »
good to know, I'd be down to try a pair but they're always full price whenever I see them.
that new navy colourway does look dope but I always liked the OG maroon/ black joints

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2017, 09:09:40 AM »
bought some Etnies Jameson ECO to replace my emerica indicators.

Seems like the rapidweld and the  herman g6 are the only vegan shoes that wont be destroyed after one session.

Is shoe goo or super glue even vegan?

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2017, 01:06:25 PM »
nope, can confirm shoe goo is horse jizz and super glue is unicorn tears.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2017, 06:06:03 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
AND it gives you cancer ;)

yourfuckingdad

« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2017, 06:19:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Sad!

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2017, 06:53:30 PM »
Posted this already in the Nike thread, but also relevant here.  Looks like a vegan-friendly dunk is coming out shortly

When do these come out? Would love to try a pair, I have been having feet issue and want to get a good cup sole, have some Emerica Figgy up next that are cup sole.

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 255
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2017, 02:39:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

Sad!

horse jizz and unicorn tears - so you're telling me they are at least vegetarian friendly

vegan*shawn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -416
  • listen to Jawbreaker
« Reply #57 on: June 29, 2017, 04:53:52 PM »
Gorilla glue super glue is vegan

roba

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 713
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2017, 02:38:55 PM »
chucks
I'm ok with theft. It happens to me all the time.
I steal too

I’m rich and smart

R.I.P Tate

yourfuckingdad

« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2017, 04:07:42 PM »
chucks

BRO WE ALREADY WENT THROUGH THIS