Author Topic: Vegan skate shoes  (Read 171637 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Vegan skate shoes
« Reply #150 on: September 10, 2017, 06:22:38 PM »
alright then SLAP vegans, let's get on the case and see if we can get Don Brown to make an official comment on this

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #151 on: September 10, 2017, 06:47:04 PM »
alright then SLAP vegans, let's get on the case and see if we can get Don Brown to make an official comment on this
That would be really interesting, I'm curious about what he would say, would be rad if they went above and beyond somehow to assure the vegan claim, but I remain skeptical.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #152 on: September 10, 2017, 07:52:51 PM »
doubt no more!
don_brown@gay imp we use water based glues on all shoes 👊✨
#thepowerofSLAP

Pigeon

« Reply #153 on: September 10, 2017, 08:08:30 PM »
doubt no more!
Expand Quote
don_brown@gay imp we use water based glues on all shoes 👊✨
[close]
#thepowerofSLAP
It's been known for some time, and Ed Templeton wouldn't be fucking with Sole Tech if they didn't use water-based adhesives. The same applied to HUF, before 2015. I'm not sure about now, because their catalogs no longer have the vegan-friendly symbols.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #154 on: September 10, 2017, 08:12:47 PM »
Ed Templeton wouldn't be fucking with Sole Tech if they didn't use water-based adhesives.
well that was my initial argument but now we have it from the horse's mouth don't we?

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #155 on: September 10, 2017, 08:23:39 PM »
Pretty sure they told Mcrank his shoe was vegan...it wasn't....and he was bummed.....

I've seen that rubber grip tape....the texture isn't bad but the adhesive isn't great the edges peel......

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #156 on: September 10, 2017, 08:29:24 PM »
Pretty sure they told Mcrank his shoe was vegan...it wasn't....and he was bummed.....
source? I'm pretty sure Rick never actually claimed veganism either so I'm surprised he was that strict

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #157 on: September 11, 2017, 06:20:31 AM »
Saying a glue is water-based says nothing about the actual adhesive in the glue, so I don't really get that statement, that doesn't mean the adhesive is not made with animal products. It could very well be water-based glue with an animal protein adhesive.

Pigeon

« Reply #158 on: September 11, 2017, 06:26:20 AM »
Saying a glue is water-based says nothing about the actual adhesive in the glue, so I don't really get that statement, that doesn't mean the adhesive is not made with animal products. It could very well be water-based glue with an animal protein adhesive.
What shoes do you wear?

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #159 on: September 11, 2017, 06:28:57 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
source? I'm pretty sure Rick never actually claimed veganism either so I'm surprised he was that strict
Yeah, McCrank never claimed veganism.  He follow(ed) a strict vegetarian diet but never went for the vegan shoe thing and he has talked about that in interviews.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #160 on: September 11, 2017, 06:32:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
What shoes do you wear?

I just wear shoes without leather or suede, as far as skate shoes go, I just accept the grey area and buy whats on sale, I have not really been convinced that any shoe is totally "vegan", and I'm not sure they could really even know.

edit: this also makes me think about the glue in boards... I think DSM is the only factory using epoxy resin which I don't think has any animal products in it, but in theory all the others using water-based glues could contain animal adhesives
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 06:42:27 AM by perverted super otaku! »

DISTANT RUMOURS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #161 on: September 11, 2017, 09:33:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

pretty sure he ran some ads for Peta, but those stated he was vegetarian. And he still doesn't eat meat by the way.
But I'm not sure on the veganism either. But I'm 100% sure he is 'at least' a vegetarian...

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #162 on: September 11, 2017, 05:13:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

pretty sure he ran some ads for Peta, but those stated he was vegetarian. And he still doesn't eat meat by the way.
But I'm not sure on the veganism either. But I'm 100% sure he is 'at least' a vegetarian...
yeah I'm not doubting it (the whole vegetarian thing) he mentioned it in multiple interviews, I was more doubting the fact he was angry at sole tech, could have happened though?
from memory some of his colourways were synth and some weren't.

otaks> so the CEO of sole tech gave us an official statement and you're still on the fence? I mean I'm all for delving into these things but "I'm not certain it's 100% vegan" is a bit of rabbit hole if you ask me. Are you going to avoid cement too?

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #163 on: September 11, 2017, 05:45:03 PM »
It's not much of a statement IMO, saying they use water-based glues is like asking someone what kind of board they were riding, and them answering "a wooden one", it's not a real answer, if you were asking if the glue or shoes were vegan. Kind of sounds like he's skirting around the issue a bit(like every other company who will not give a straight answer on this topic). Water based glues can use a variety of adhesives, animal based or otherwise, water-based simply refers to the medium in which the adhesive is suspended.

edit: Just to illustrate what I mean, here is an industrial adhesives company's water based glues

http://www.bond-tech-industries.com/products/water-based-adhesives/
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 05:55:26 PM by perverted super otaku! »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #164 on: September 11, 2017, 07:26:58 PM »
*shrugs* I guess we'll never know then?
you keep buying the shoes that get you to sleep at night and I'll do the same yeah?
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 11:14:34 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1580
« Reply #165 on: September 11, 2017, 10:49:36 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]
yeah I'm not doubting it (the whole vegetarian thing) he mentioned it in multiple interviews, I was more doubting the fact he was angry at sole tech, could have happened though?

otaks> so the CEO of sole tech gave us an official statement and you're still on the fence? I mean I'm all for delving into these things but "I'm not certain it's 100% vegan" is a bit of rabbit hole if you ask me. Are you going to avoid cement too?

Yah...I made the mistake of coming in here......what is the difference between a vegetarian shoe and a vegan shoe.....besides....taste.....

I think later on his shoes weren't synthetic at all....I said he was bummed....that's it....bummed....I need sources to confirm bummage....

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #166 on: September 11, 2017, 11:09:22 PM »
LOL yeah they put cheese on vegetarian shoes!
all good, I just meant that if he was vegetarian maybe he wasn't as strict about the whole leather thing?
there's vegetarians (hell, there's even vegans) who don't give two shits about the materials they wear because it's strictly a diet for them. Someone like westagte comes to mind, he's vegetarian but I don't recall him ever trying to come out with non-animal hide versions of his shoes, nor do I remember him really saying anything about animal rights. I thought Rick was in the same boat, then again if he did a PETA ad maybe he was quite vocal about it outside of the skate industry? Sucks if he asked for non-leather shoes and sole tech screwed him over on it though... reminds me of DC and Evan; dude was vegan before his shoe even came out, mentioned that he was bummed about them being suede and DC still continues to churn them out ???
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 06:28:28 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #167 on: September 24, 2017, 07:09:59 PM »
relevant:
http://vegnews.com/articles/page.do?pageId=10114&catId=1
guess we got to the bottom of Kenny's shoe at least, I really like that he's opting to use recycled/ organic materials too, if he keeps it up I might just have to break my rule and buy a pair of his shoes (and inadvertently support nike)

anyone tried those eS everstitch models yet? I'm going to chuck up a few shoe reviews on here in the next week or so but am thinking on gambling on just one more pair (or at least that's what I keep telling myself)... and at this point the only review I can find is from dude on Revive claiming to be sponsored by eS'

edit: apparently vegan skate blog is currently writing a review for both of them
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 09:53:11 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #168 on: October 01, 2017, 11:41:10 PM »
surprised none of you have snapped up some of those Kenny's after my last post. Anyways...

I currently only have two pairs of skate shoes in my closet and no one on here wanted these so I deleted that thread and I've been skating them quite a bit recently. Here's my (revised) thoughts on them:

Size: pretty damn tts if you ask me, perhaps a tad long in length but nothing that would warrant going down half a size. Maybe also a little bit narrow in the toebox but I feel this is true with most skate shoes these days. These aren't going to stretch too much due to the synth/ rubber toe so I wouldn't take that into account when buying.

Support: before you even think about this category, RIP OUT AND THROW AWAY THE STOCK INSOLE, it's garbage! after you've done that I feel that this shoe perfectly blends thin cupsole/ supportive vulc that so many companies are trying to achieve. being a high top, it gives you amazing heel lock and ankle support and as another poster said in this thread, it's going to be hard to go back to lows/ mids after skating this shoe. Internal tongue straps too keep you extra locked in. If you like baggy/ loose shoes, you'll probably despise these.

Grip/ Boardfeel: If you like Vans Skate Hi's and just want a little bit extra support I feel that you'd fucking love these shoes. Grip is easily on par with waffle soles and once broken in (took me probably two shortish skates) flexes in all the right places without feeling floppy at all.

Durabilty: Sometimes synth suede/ leather is terrible, sometimes it's amazing. In this shoe's case it's definitely the later and they way the outsole is designed I haven't even put any scuffs on the suede at this point (you could also see this in plant rider's review, that dude does a LOT of flip tricks). As others have pointed out, the area where the synth suede meets the canvas (and subsequent stitching) is the shoe's obvious weak point. I'm not super hard on shoes so I think that other than a possible hole in the sidewall from ollies it's doubtful that I'll ever rip through that suede to see the rubber below.

Pros: Feels like a beefed up (vegan) Skate Hi, vice heel lock/ ankle support and superb grip. Looks dope to boot. I'm surprised someone like Ben K. hasn't rocked a pair with red laces yet ::) They are Soletech too and I feel like this is definitely a company we need to support as they have been offering vegan options since the days of Sheep. This shoe had some obvious Sheep influences and that was why I originally snapped them up so quickly.

Cons: It's a swamp in there. This shoe is fucking HOT!!!! I first tried them on in the middle of summer here in Japan and almost threw them in the bin because of how hot they were. There is ZERO ventilation in them which is a real let down (especially coming from my Silas 1's), I really wish they could have worked some holes into that toecap or made the tongue more breathable. Now that it's cooler, I've been able to appreciate them more but DO NOT buy these if you live in a hot/ humid part of the world. The synth suede also has/ had a pretty toxic smell to it so these are probably not your best bet if you're a sensitive little soul when it comes to smells.
Other than that I can only say that it was a tough transition coming from Silas 1's to these; I know I'm a broken record but that shoe was so perfect for me and my feet that anything that proceeded them was bound to get a tough review from me.

Feel free to ask me any other questions about the shoe, might end up reviewing my State's this time next week too...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 06:35:07 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -2
« Reply #169 on: October 02, 2017, 06:04:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yah...I made the mistake of coming in here......what is the difference between a vegetarian shoe and a vegan shoe.....besides....taste.....

I think later on his shoes weren't synthetic at all....I said he was bummed....that's it....bummed....I need sources to confirm bummage....

Some glues use lactose, though i don't know about them being used for shoes I do know they are used with wood.

I think it's an important distinction because one product involves the killing of an animal and one doesn't (just suffering.

Here's a question for y'all... even if a product is truly animal product free, but it's made by sweatshops, is it really vegan? If you consider humans animals (which is biologically true though many gnarly vegans have anti-human sentiments) then they aren't.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #170 on: October 02, 2017, 07:25:42 PM »
Here's a question for y'all... even if a product is truly animal product free, but it's made by sweatshops, is it really vegan? If you consider humans animals (which is biologically true though many gnarly vegans have anti-human sentiments) then they aren't.
A worthy question and one that certainly gets posed a lot. I was going to write out my thoughts on the matter but I think this person summarized it better than I could:

"What you are referring to is that most vegans still live in a capitalist society where we inevitably buy products that harm humans to some degree as well, which are in the end animals. The fact that I have a computer but am vegan is no different than you having one and being against human slavery or against male supremacy. Having a laptop does not invalidate the ideologies of gender/race equality, in the same way it does not invalidate veganism. The fact that anybody funds sweat shops doesn’t mean you must also pay for animal abuse.

Also, in none of these industries are human beings getting mutilated, tortured and killed. We do not buy t-shirts and computers nearly as often as we consume dismembered and objectified animals. My payment for a non-animal product is coming from paid work (in some cases unfair), but animal products will always inevitably come from non-consenting animal victims which are abused by humans. Needless to say, humans that work in slaughterhouses have terrible working conditions and endure incredible amounts of stress, which is why they have the greatest employee turnover rate of all industries. If you want to minimise human suffering, stop buying animal products first. It seems foolish to think that because you cannot stop contributing with all forms of suffering in the world (because our mere existence negatively impacts the world) you shouldn’t be vegan.

But don’t get me wrong. I am not saying we should buy products mindlessly. We should always check labels and look for fair trade products that do not come from exploited humans (which is what I do, 90% of the time). Wearing clothes for as long as you can and donating clothing to charity shops are good practices too. You can find companies that do not use sweatshops for clothing and buy from them. Electronic gadgets are a little bit more tricky and I admit I own an iPhone and a Mac, which I plan to use thoroughly whilst fighting to end animal cruelty. Thanks for the comment once again." https://theveganspeak.com/blog/replies/

I don't know if I agree with the whole post 100% but they do bring up some great points.

CatchMyFADE

• Rep: 17
« Reply #171 on: October 03, 2017, 10:38:16 AM »
Have two pairs of Converse Crimson sneakers size US 10.5 if anyone is interested. I'm asking $40 for both pairs. One is new in the box, & the other I skated on 2 occasions (aprox 2 hours of skating, barely any wear whatsoever).

Shoe itself is vegan (why I purchased in the first place) however, I prefer skating shoes w/ some more padding around the collar area (Vans AV Rapidweld Pro Lites have been my staple lately) & these have very minimal padding, very similar build to Adidas Match courts which (I've also tried out & didn't quite care for).

Outside is super grippy on these & the toe cap & sidewall are really durable. If you're into match courts or authentics, or similar styles, I'd give these a shot.

DM me for info, I'd love for someone to enjoy these, but I'm too picky to skate in them (again, too thin for my taste).

Thanks!

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #172 on: October 03, 2017, 10:53:13 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
A worthy question and one that certainly gets posed a lot. I was going to write out my thoughts on the matter but I think this person summarized it better than I could:

"What you are referring to is that most vegans still live in a capitalist society where we inevitably buy products that harm humans to some degree as well, which are in the end animals. The fact that I have a computer but am vegan is no different than you having one and being against human slavery or against male supremacy. Having a laptop does not invalidate the ideologies of gender/race equality, in the same way it does not invalidate veganism. The fact that anybody funds sweat shops doesn’t mean you must also pay for animal abuse.

Also, in none of these industries are human beings getting mutilated, tortured and killed. We do not buy t-shirts and computers nearly as often as we consume dismembered and objectified animals. My payment for a non-animal product is coming from paid work (in some cases unfair), but animal products will always inevitably come from non-consenting animal victims which are abused by humans. Needless to say, humans that work in slaughterhouses have terrible working conditions and endure incredible amounts of stress, which is why they have the greatest employee turnover rate of all industries. If you want to minimise human suffering, stop buying animal products first. It seems foolish to think that because you cannot stop contributing with all forms of suffering in the world (because our mere existence negatively impacts the world) you shouldn’t be vegan.

But don’t get me wrong. I am not saying we should buy products mindlessly. We should always check labels and look for fair trade products that do not come from exploited humans (which is what I do, 90% of the time). Wearing clothes for as long as you can and donating clothing to charity shops are good practices too. You can find companies that do not use sweatshops for clothing and buy from them. Electronic gadgets are a little bit more tricky and I admit I own an iPhone and a Mac, which I plan to use thoroughly whilst fighting to end animal cruelty. Thanks for the comment once again." https://theveganspeak.com/blog/replies/

I don't know if I agree with the whole post 100% but they do bring up some great points.
I agree with this mostly too, humans at least choose to work in factories, though economic pressures to do so complicate this, between scavenging at the dump for recyclables and sewing shoes 11 hours a day I guess, I think sweatshops is kind of a dated term also as factory conditions and pay are getting better in Asia from what I understand, a lot less desperate workers from the countryside who will take anything for any pay

Also sick that cons actually made a definitively vegan shoe, hopefully more companies follow

Paco Supreme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 539
  • One Trick Pony
« Reply #173 on: October 06, 2017, 06:00:11 AM »
Mandersons Onestar Cons are apparently vegan friendly

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #174 on: October 06, 2017, 06:26:48 AM »
Mandersons Onestar Cons are apparently vegan friendly
came here to post this.  available at Tactics now http://www.tactics.com/converse/one-star-pro-mike-anderson-skate-shoes

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #175 on: October 06, 2017, 11:03:58 PM »
they look nice and remind me of the beastie boys which is always a plus

I will review my States for you guys/ gals next week sometime now that they are fully broken in

Chega

• Rep: 2
« Reply #176 on: October 07, 2017, 11:47:39 AM »
Hey guys, have been reading this forum for years and finally decided to write something. So, please help me to find out, what is the difference between these two colorways, which Emerica just released:
http://www.emerica.com/us/footwear/reynolds/reynolds-low-vulc-6102000096.html?dwvar_6102000096_color=570#start=8 - this is not a part of Vegan collection.
http://www.emerica.com/us/footwear/reynolds/reynolds-low-vulc-6102000096.html?dwvar_6102000096_color=919#start=11 - this is vegan. But the description is the same:

Features:
One-Piece Toe cap
Triangle Tread™
Lightly Padded Tongue and Collar lining
Traditional Vulvanized Constrution
Synthetic Nubuck

For me, it sounds weird to use the animal-based glue for some synthetic styles (same with the Provost shoes)
P.S. I emailed to Emerica, waiting for the response.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #177 on: October 09, 2017, 08:30:15 AM »
bummer, everywhere that has those Mandersons (including Nike/Cons direct) only have them up to size 11.  Wonder if they'll ever release full mens sizing.

CatchMyFADE

• Rep: 17
« Reply #178 on: October 09, 2017, 11:50:19 AM »
BUMP.

Down to let these go for $30 (2 pairs!!). Prefer to sell to youss guyss before I slang these to eBay or some other dumb place.

LMK, Thanks!!

Have two pairs of Converse Crimson sneakers size US 10.5 if anyone is interested. I'm asking $40 for both pairs. One is new in the box, & the other I skated on 2 occasions (aprox 2 hours of skating, barely any wear whatsoever).

Shoe itself is vegan (why I purchased in the first place) however, I prefer skating shoes w/ some more padding around the collar area (Vans AV Rapidweld Pro Lites have been my staple lately) & these have very minimal padding, very similar build to Adidas Match courts which (I've also tried out & didn't quite care for).

Outside is super grippy on these & the toe cap & sidewall are really durable. If you're into match courts or authentics, or similar styles, I'd give these a shot.

DM me for info, I'd love for someone to enjoy these, but I'm too picky to skate in them (again, too thin for my taste).

Thanks!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #179 on: October 09, 2017, 06:29:59 PM »
P.S. I emailed to Emerica, waiting for the response.
I think you'll find that they probably just forgot to label them properly. Shoe companies that label their shoes vegan are notorious for this especially when bringing out a new season. HUF are the worst offenders and it looks like they just stick the vegan sticker on a few random shoes when their catalogue first comes out and then edit the fuck out of it when someone calls them on their shit.
Either way though mate, I'd go with them brown joints, that colourway is FIRE!!!