Author Topic: Vegan skate shoes  (Read 171641 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Vegan skate shoes
« Reply #270 on: October 18, 2018, 05:54:26 PM »
Expand Quote
NB 420s
Lakai is dropping a quite few in their next drop (Riley will have 2 vegan colourways?)
If you can pick up some old states, they're always cheap online and they have a few vegan models in their back catalogs
eS' accel slims in black/ red/ white
eS' accel plus with the clear soles
Ed's emerica slip on
Would still recommend Ryan Lay's shoe if you can find them. He posted on his insta that etnies would be doing a vegan (cupsole) slip-on too?
what else, you already had some swift everstitches right?
[close]

I read a lil while ago on the new balance website that they don't make vegan shoes. like even if it's synthetic they use animal glue.
good point. Rothdigga did mention it to me in a PM too (that they couldn't guarantee glues). Best bet is to go sole tech then, Don is usually pretty damn transparent on insta and can give you some good answers. I'm really down to try the accel plus but I still have a pair of swift's to burn through ....

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #271 on: October 18, 2018, 07:02:20 PM »
honestly, if we're debating glues, none of y'all better be driving cars.  Do what you can, do the best you can, but don't sweat the small stuff.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #272 on: October 19, 2018, 01:17:16 AM »
honestly, if we're debating glues, none of y'all better be driving cars.  Do what you can, do the best you can, but don't sweat the small stuff.
I don't to be honest, there's only such you can avoid as you know. Having said that, if the choice is between clearly labeled vegan glue vs. not sure but we can't guarantee it's vegan, I'll go with the former.

eight two fives

• Rep: -26
« Reply #273 on: October 19, 2018, 08:32:31 AM »
I got the new Etnies sheeps. I’m not even going to attempt to skate them. Just going to be some casual Friday work shoes. I’m fine with it though, got them for $45. They are THIN.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #274 on: October 20, 2018, 12:24:12 AM »
Make sure you put a nice insole in those Ryan Lays 🤔

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 84
« Reply #275 on: October 25, 2018, 09:56:40 AM »
Got a pair of the Etnies sheep shoes as well. I like em, they look real good but I haven't skated them yet. I might buy a separate pair to skate and to keep the ones I have to wear considering I don't know how easily they rip and whatnot, I'm currently skating toy machine indicator high and those things got an ollie hole and switch ollie hole like the first week and a half I was skating them...

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #276 on: October 27, 2018, 01:44:11 PM »
Not sure if this qualifies as strictly required for the classifieds forum, but since this is such a niche thread I figured I could post it here:  I've got a few like-new vegan skate shoes listed for cheap on my poshmark: https://poshmark.com/closet/modmike

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #277 on: October 31, 2018, 08:53:42 AM »
wonder if the stripe and heel tab on these are synthetic or genuine leather...If so, they'd be the first vegan option for the Crockett 2

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #278 on: November 04, 2018, 09:29:27 PM »
wonder if the stripe and heel tab on these are synthetic or genuine leather...If so, they'd be the first vegan option for the Crockett 2

would be down to try a pair, but feeling they might suffer from Chima's shoe syndrome; all-canvas-except-leather-in-areas where-you-don't-actually-need-leather-anyway-but-we'll-place-it-there-just-to-make-sure-that-no-vegans-give-us-any-money-for-this-particular-model 

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #279 on: November 07, 2018, 06:17:20 AM »
Yeah, the Chima and 112 Pro really blew it for Vans.  They used to be really good about using synthetic trims, but not anymore I guess.  Still waiting on confirmation with those Crocketts tho.  There's also an Independent collab Crockett 2 that looks like it could be vegan (printed stripe, canvas heel tab, but not sure what the toe cap is exactly...has a textile appearance but could be that Xtuff stuff or whatever)

schralp pal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 259
« Reply #280 on: November 21, 2018, 02:44:48 PM »
I think zumiez has the new lakai griffin in black canvas on sale - not sure it is 100% vegan...

yourfuckingdad

• Rep: -2
« Reply #281 on: November 21, 2018, 03:32:25 PM »

i mean some people want to skate vegan shoes. it's good to know.
I sort of agree with you but i'm not gonna shit on someone for wanting not to contribute to animal agriculture in anyway.
I sort of see the exploitation of workers that make skate shoes (even the vegan ones) as probably not vegan or if it is technically vegan, still kinda fucked.

There is no ethical consumption under capitalism, but we can support people who are trying to do less harm.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #282 on: November 21, 2018, 05:12:39 PM »
glues are a hard one, and super otaks (where you at son?) and I debated this a few pages back. I guess I kinda look it like I look at a restaurant that serves vegan options but isn't 100% vegan - I'm happy to buy those options and support that business because I want them to know that the demand is there. And yes, it's impossible to avoid all animal suffering but let's not go down that rabbit hole because the OG definition never stated that that was the goal.

Anyway, I have some good news for you sitting on the fence about the #NB 420s:

"I also did find out that those shoes are 100% vegan, even the glue, but they didn't go through the certification process that I guess you can do with whatever society handles that stuff"

Straight from Rothdigga, who is always great at getting the insider info there at NB

Ishaboi

• Rep: -1
« Reply #283 on: February 17, 2019, 05:26:39 PM »
Have been scouring the internet trying to track down some Ryan Lay hi tops in size 13. If anyone has any leads out there it would be greatly appreciated. I've been stockpiling them until I could no longer find anymore and I regret not buying more. Yep thanks.

Also- any confirmation on the stripe and heel detail on those crockett 2's?

Lee Ralphs Dear Old Mum

« Reply #284 on: February 17, 2019, 06:02:19 PM »
I got some of those crockett 2 cumin/ black b/c i prefer canvas shoes with some suede or preferably rubber in the ollie/ toe areas. alas, I think the patch of leather on the heal tab and vans stripe are actually leather... seems pointless being that close to being a leather free shoe and blow it on some unnecessary features.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #285 on: February 17, 2019, 08:03:19 PM »
I got some of those crockett 2 cumin/ black b/c i prefer canvas shoes with some suede or preferably rubber in the ollie/ toe areas. alas, I think the patch of leather on the heal tab and vans stripe are actually leather... seems pointless being that close to being a leather free shoe and blow it on some unnecessary features.
funny that you posted this, because I was looking at them online the other day wondering about them. Vans is so dumb lately, they do the same thing with all of Chima's shoes. Sure, I can understand leather/ suede if it is actually used for function but it's not like heel tabs/ tongue branding *need* to be leather. Vans are so stupid they'll probably do the Rowley reissue in suede ::)
Speaking of the Crockett, I saw this one in the flesh and it seems legit (or maybe the heel tab is leather here too?):
https://www.zumiez.ca/crockett-pro-2-indy-blue-demi.html
The half cab version has a leather toe cap but this one is listed as waxed canvas, any pals out there rocking a pair?

Will also do my review of the OG everstitch swift sometime this week but in short; it's amazing, buy it if you like cupsoles with minimum break-in time and vice heel lock!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 08:06:25 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #286 on: February 18, 2019, 04:02:30 AM »
I really liked the Servant Dagon shoes I had a while ago, at least for the short while they lasted before the heel blew out and it started falling apart.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #287 on: February 18, 2019, 10:50:03 PM »
Didn't servant go out of business recently?

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #288 on: February 19, 2019, 07:56:27 AM »
Quite possible, I don’t follow things that closely. Website says «we are away for a while, stay tuned».
I liked the design a lot.

brwrxstl

• Rep: -71
    • Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #289 on: February 21, 2019, 02:18:57 PM »

This🙏

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #290 on: February 21, 2019, 06:23:11 PM »
eS Everstitch Swift review:

Size: tts. tts for sole tech anyway. The seslas didn't work for me in tts and 1/2 size up meant I was swimming in them. These are perfect in the size department.

Support: true cupsole, none of this vulc hybrid crap. Heel lock is VICE and while they are quite thin in the sidewalls etc. they still feel super sturdy and supportive. Comes with a stock eS insole which I replaced with a footprint one. You could keep the standard one in there but it's 5mm so it's not the greatest. If you regularly skate sole tech, you'll know whether you like them or not.

Grip/ Boardfeel: When I first put them on in my office I thought they'd take a while to break in but these are easily the fastest break in time I've had in years. Krooked Antihero mentioned this a while back but the pre-cut grooves in the sole contribute greatly to break-in time. I'm pretty sure they use the same tread on the swift 1.5s and the teched-out accels. The tread grips straight away which is pretty rare for a cup sole I think. The upper too needs little break-in time due to the evertstitch which is pretty much like prime knit or any of those other materials you see on sport shoes. It flexes when and where you need it, but doesn't bag out.

Durabilty:  Some have said the welded toe cap isn't that durable but I've barely put a mark on it despite yesterday being my 5th or 6th session in them. You honestly can't even tell they've been skated but I'm not super hard on shoes these days so maybe take that with a grain of salt? For my type of (old man) skating they are more than durable enough!

Pros: Little break in time, great grip, vice heel lock, nice and supportive, super x2 breathable, not made out of canvas like every other "vegan" model.

Cons: For me there isn't any really... I guess if I was nitpicking I would like some more vegan suede up on the sidewall but at this point they are holding up way better than expected. Tongue centering straps possibly? but then again, the tongue doesn't even move around. I guess they are getting harder to find since they aren't in the current eS lineup, but I don't really mind because the Accel plus has the same outsole and they look even beefier. Wouldn't mind seeing an everstitch version of the swift 1.5 either.

In summary: I haven't been this impressed with a vegan skate shoe since I skated my Silas 1s. If you know me and my broken record posting style about that shoe, then you'll know that this is saying a lot!
Sure, Ryan Lay's shoe was (is) great, but lack of airflow made it impossible for me to use in the hotter months (great for the colder ones though) and actually felt like it took longer to break in despite being a Vulc/ cup hybrid. If you can still find a pair of these swifts I'd highly recommend them.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 12:00:44 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

brwrxstl

• Rep: -71
    • Tumblr avatar image
« Reply #291 on: February 21, 2019, 11:45:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There is no ethical consumption under capitalism, but we can support people who are trying to do less harm.

*cringe*  There's no "ethical consumption under capitalism"? As the vegan food industry is literally fucking exploding with investors and as the products those investors are backing are taking over supermarkets lmao.

It's all supply and demand. There's plenty of "ethical" vegan footwear companies out there already. Just not in skateboarding.  Go to Cuba or some other communist utopia and try ordering a beyond burger, or starting a company to replace that void in the market. 

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #292 on: March 01, 2019, 09:38:46 AM »
synthetic Newports out now.  I think these look great.
https://www.skatewarehouse.com/Lakai_Newport_Shoes/descpage-LKNPCS.html

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #293 on: March 01, 2019, 02:20:15 PM »
↑dope! That means Riley’s vegan suede models should be dropping soon too.

In other news, looks like HUF is doing another textile soto with rubber toe cap

Edit/ link: https://www.hufworldwide.com/huf_en_us/soto-knit-cp00030?color=black
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 08:06:12 PM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

cucktard

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 269
« Reply #294 on: March 01, 2019, 03:42:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

*cringe*  There's no "ethical consumption under capitalism"? As the vegan food industry is literally fucking exploding with investors and as the products those investors are backing are taking over supermarkets lmao.

It's all supply and demand. There's plenty of "ethical" vegan footwear companies out there already. Just not in skateboarding.  Go to Cuba or some other communist utopia and try ordering a beyond burger, or starting a company to replace that void in the market.

*cringe*

And almost all of it is based on low-wage “sweatshop” conditions, from the illegal migrants that pick the lettuce to girls sewing the shoes.

It is still based on exploitation, this is fundamental. Capitalism will not socialize itself.
I’m trying to be every mom’s favorite skater’-&&

Duane's the type of guy to ask to see your junk then go to school and tell everyone you're gay. - Uncle Flea

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #295 on: March 05, 2019, 05:55:12 AM »
Anyone knows if those white State Harlem are vegan ?
It says canvas on the website, but I'm not sure about the ollie pad and the toecap...

edit: Damn, didn't see the post about Riley's vegan suede and Huf soto, good news !! :)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 06:42:26 AM by Thomas »
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #296 on: March 05, 2019, 07:40:31 AM »
The State stuff is all real suede.  Those Harlems have a suede toe cap and ollie patch.  They even put a stupid suede heel tab on the otherwise-all-canvas Feltons.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #297 on: March 05, 2019, 09:31:09 PM »
State have been slacking as of late, had lots of vegan options in their first few runs and even labelled them accordingly

Chega

• Rep: 2
« Reply #298 on: March 07, 2019, 11:33:09 AM »
Just went through Lakai Spring 19 and Fall 19 catalogs and want to confirm that those two styles are vegan. Also, they will have them for Fall 19 season, but both in canvas. I don't like canvas shoes, so might buy both pairs.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 11:40:23 AM by Chega »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #299 on: March 07, 2019, 05:08:07 PM »
those tobacco Riley's look so fine, what's the drop date on them?