Author Topic: Vegan skate shoes  (Read 171618 times)

satan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 38
Re: Vegan skate shoes
« Reply #510 on: January 09, 2020, 06:44:43 PM »
Nubuck is iffy, I’d say no...

Also, vans jazz stripe has been synth for as long as I can remember!
Oh. Maybe I'm mixing up nubuck and alcantara. Drrh. Sorries

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #511 on: January 10, 2020, 01:27:19 AM »
I got loads of old skate shoes, back when I collected them (Lynx HEs, OG Accels, K3s etc). I'm going to skate them rather than have them box fresh in my room. I got one pair of Cambridges that are a gift from my folks as well, that are the next shoes to skate.

Recently started a vegan diet and was curious what the selection was like. I'm pleased to see the Accel Plus Everstitch is synthetic. I prefer a beefy shoe (no pun intended) and not a fan of slim shoes, so I was a bit worried about what's available.

Has anyone skated the Accel Plus' to know what they're like? I wouldn't mind them after my next pair.

Also; I didn't know there are canvas Cambridges. I'll peep those as well.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #512 on: January 10, 2020, 04:46:27 AM »
Can’t speak for the upper on the accel plus (even tho I’m about to buy a pair) but that outsole is magical for skating imho; little to no break in, great board feel and enough support to not feel like a ballet shoe. I have the Swift everstitches on the same sole and I’m very very happy with them. Chucked up a review a few pages back if you care to have a look? Padded shorts (sp?) swears by them

The current market doesn’t have that many great options esp. if you like cupsoles but I think 2020 will bring some new shoes to the table. I.e a New Kenny Anderson shoe and will also be interesting see where Ryan Lay ends up ...

Sorry for all the edits, I only post from my phone these days
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 05:08:01 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #513 on: January 10, 2020, 05:48:11 AM »
Nubuck is iffy, I’d say no...

Also, vans jazz stripe has been synth for as long as I can remember!
When you go on the Vans customs generator, 90% of the jazz stripe options are listed as leather (including the plain white and black options).  The only non-leather options are gross sparkled/glittered :(

Thomas

• Rep: 20
  • no pop no style
« Reply #514 on: January 10, 2020, 05:54:39 AM »
Still waiting for those Kenny Anderson signature shoes to come out...
Possibilities are everywhere, search and enjoy.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #515 on: January 10, 2020, 06:11:06 AM »
Can’t speak for the upper on the accel plus (even tho I’m about to buy a pair) but that outsole is magical for skating imho; little to no break in, great board feel and enough support to not feel like a ballet shoe. I have the Swift everstitches on the same sole and I’m very very happy with them. Chucked up a review a few pages back if you care to have a look? Padded shorts (sp?) swears by them

The current market doesn’t have that many great options esp. if you like cupsoles but I think 2020 will bring some new shoes to the table. I.e a New Kenny Anderson shoe and will also be interesting see where Ryan Lay ends up ...

Sorry for all the edits, I only post from my phone these days

That's good to hear. I'll be keen to see the review of the Swift, as that shoe has been on my radar for a while.

Yeah I noticed choice is limited, but luckily a lot more has been made available recently.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

rikitikitavi

• Rep: 0
« Reply #516 on: January 10, 2020, 07:39:19 PM »
Anyone have any news on the Vans Mod Rapidweld? The composite materials seem to fit the bill but they aren’t listed as such on the Vans site

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
« Reply #517 on: January 11, 2020, 07:16:24 AM »
I got loads of old skate shoes, back when I collected them (Lynx HEs, OG Accels, K3s etc). I'm going to skate them rather than have them box fresh in my room. I got one pair of Cambridges that are a gift from my folks as well, that are the next shoes to skate.

Recently started a vegan diet and was curious what the selection was like. I'm pleased to see the Accel Plus Everstitch is synthetic. I prefer a beefy shoe (no pun intended) and not a fan of slim shoes, so I was a bit worried about what's available.

Has anyone skated the Accel Plus' to know what they're like? I wouldn't mind them after my next pair.

Also; I didn't know there are canvas Cambridges. I'll peep those as well.
The accel Plus everstitch is amazing. The uppers are very tough. I skated a pair all summer and that kevlar toe piece was just starting to get the tiniest amount of wear on it. They are light and comfortable. I will probably get another pair.
No.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #518 on: January 14, 2020, 04:01:02 AM »
Who woulda thunk that in 2020 etnies would be coming strong with their vegan catalogue and emerica would only be offering one option at best?
https://soletechnology-catalogues.cld.bz/etnies-SP20-US-Catalog/10/

sufferthejoy

« Reply #519 on: January 14, 2020, 06:42:42 AM »
Who woulda thunk that in 2020 etnies would be coming strong with their vegan catalogue and emerica would only be offering one option at best?

Not a big fan of the tan colorway, but hearing how durable Maranas are makes me consider actually buying a pair. I just finished skating my second pair of the jameson LS a week ago and they held up great, especially being a canvas shoe. The extra rubber on the toe helps a lot, just shoegoo the ollie hole and they will last like any synthetic shoe.

That bloom foam, organic canvas and recycled materials are pretty sick too, props to etnies.

In other news, apparently circa will have a bunch of vegan/synthetic colorways available of their AL50 shoe this spring/summer season: https://issuu.com/optiondistribution/docs/c1rca_catalogue_ss_20_ld

I haven't checked out circa's stuff in a while and was surprised to find so many synthetic options, don't see myself buying this shoe though.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #520 on: January 14, 2020, 03:29:57 PM »
That bloom foam, organic canvas and recycled materials are pretty sick too, props to etnies.
that one stuck out the most for me too, good job for actually trying to innovate!

I had a pair of maranas back in the day and they are a solid cupsole, I think I’ll cop the tan ones. That OG Etnies sole reminds me of Penny anyway👌

As for Circa, the last pair I owned was 20 years ago and I doubt I’ll buy a pair in 2020, unless of course the release the chief’s old vegan models. Like Osiris they probably just drop synth models because it’s cheaper than making them out of actual leather?

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #521 on: January 15, 2020, 02:06:27 AM »
I like the Hamilton and the slip-on from Etnies, might give them a try.
I never found Ryan Lay shoes in Europe though :'(

I other news, State added 4 colorways of the bishop in canvas for their fall 2020 collection, clearly stating "vegan" plus one slip-on. They are all canvas by the way...
Not a fan of the bishop shape, but I really like the brand so I will try them too.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
« Reply #522 on: January 15, 2020, 05:30:49 AM »
oof yeah, the Bishop gives me strong Airspeed/Payless vibes

padded_shorts

« Reply #523 on: January 15, 2020, 08:03:40 AM »
Those vegan Maranas look great. The Bloom foam stuff looks interesting too, glad to see it.
Looks like es is getting rid of the accel plus everstitch, in the current colorways at least. They are 54.99 and under right now on the es site.
https://www.esskateboarding.com/us/search/?q=vegan&lang=en_US
Coupon Code: RLSTAKE10 gets you another $10 off. I just ordered a pair of the blue/grey ones, $53 with shipping.
No.

padded_shorts

« Reply #524 on: January 15, 2020, 08:14:48 AM »
Do you have links to the es and emerica catalogs? The soletech page asks for a password when you try to look at them.
No.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #525 on: January 16, 2020, 05:59:11 AM »
I like the Hamilton and the slip-on from Etnies, might give them a try.
I never found Ryan Lay shoes in Europe though :'(

I other news, State added 4 colorways of the bishop in canvas for their fall 2020 collection, clearly stating "vegan" plus one slip-on. They are all canvas by the way...
Not a fan of the bishop shape, but I really like the brand so I will try them too.
crazy how etnies now has worse distribution than eS and emerica huh? Maybe hit up eBay if you're still looking to find some Ryan Lay. Also, while we're at it, props to etnies for trying to innovate but also boo to them for losing Ryan. He wasn't too vocal about the whole thing but I saw him on insta telling someone he quit so they must have done something to piss him off.

Good that state came through with a few options, it been quite a few seasons since I've seen a vegan option in their lineups. imho tho they need to fix the pebble magnet of a sole that they make and come through with a good cupsole!Bishop model seems way too thin around the collar for me...

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #526 on: January 16, 2020, 06:06:29 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Do you have links to the es and emerica catalogs? The soletech page asks for a password when you try to look at them.
I don't, I just posted them because they popped up in the other thread. They get locked and unlocked periodically though, sometimes I can see them, sometimes I can't. It's a pity eS don't ship overseas otherwise I would have snapped up some of those accel plus. I messaged Don Brown on insta the other day and he mentioned a few new vegan models for their next season. Strange that they are releasing all those bulky/ tech shoes in suede when they were originally synth back in the day. Anyway boys/ gals, I'll be making my swifts and my Riley 2s last until we some of these new kicks come out. If Kenny Anderson can come out with a solid cupsole, I'd even be tempted to give some money to the dark side...

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #527 on: January 16, 2020, 06:45:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I don't, I just posted them because they popped up in the other thread. They get locked and unlocked periodically though, sometimes I can see them, sometimes I can't. It's a pity eS don't ship overseas otherwise I would have snapped up some of those accel plus. I messaged Don Brown on insta the other day and he mentioned a few new vegan models for their next season. Strange that they are releasing all those bulky/ tech shoes in suede when they were originally synth back in the day. Anyway boys/ gals, I'll be making my swifts and my Riley 2s last until we some of these new kicks come out. If Kenny Anderson can come out with a solid cupsole, I'd even be tempted to give some money to the dark side...

I don't want to ruin your expectations, but I think I saw him wearing samples of his shoes on Instagram and it seemed like just full black high top chucks...

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #528 on: January 16, 2020, 01:48:14 PM »
That’s fine, I don’t want to give Nike my money anyway

Matze

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -18
    • www.matthiaswinkel.com avatar image
« Reply #529 on: February 05, 2020, 03:34:07 AM »
being a vegetarian since years I kinda avoided the topic of not using any leather for a long time. shit seems hard to manage if you want a good looking vegan shoe (not even thinking about ecological aspects). can't imagine myself wearing state/etnies/emerica etc they're not my cup of tea. anyway, the only nice models I found are the adidas 3mc and actually the nyjah - guess I'll give that one a try.

drewsmahgoos

• Rep: 6
« Reply #530 on: February 05, 2020, 04:05:22 AM »
being a vegetarian since years I kinda avoided the topic of not using any leather for a long time. shit seems hard to manage if you want a good looking vegan shoe (not even thinking about ecological aspects). can't imagine myself wearing state/etnies/emerica etc they're not my cup of tea. anyway, the only nice models I found are the adidas 3mc and actually the nyjah - guess I'll give that one a try.

I have the nyjahs.....

Ither than being nyjah hustons shoes, they're  great. The rubber can crack from hest after serious dampness but don't put them next to a radiator after it rains. They seriously last though. They do not wear down and they're super comfy although a little on the small size. I've just been telling myself I'll cut the name off them if I need to.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #531 on: February 05, 2020, 01:41:49 PM »
↑ try eS?

Anyway, I’ll bring this convo here so that we don’t get hated on too hard:

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
There was talks of that proper shoe having a vegan colourway, I was salivating just waiting to order like 10 pairs and then it never eventuated ....
[close]
Seriously, that is my dream shoe.  Hopefully you’re not a size 12 otherwise we’d be competing for those 10 pairs. 
The canvas lakai flaco 2s are the closest we get in 2020 (and it’s not very close)
[close]
the guy that owns proper used to post quite a lot on here, he was even act Be in the vegan shoe thread for a minute. I’m really really bummed that it never eventuated...
Actually maybe it was going to be the rook shoe? Either way, I’d still be down x100
[close]
He still wants to do some vegan shoes. I think he's been trying to figure out how to make it work as they are more expensive to produce (quality ones anyway) so he would likely have to put a higher price on them. He's pretty active on Twitter. He was asking a while ago if people would actually be willing to pay more if he did one.
we’ll he was in this thread a few years ago asking the same thing. I know I’m down, I’d rather pay extra money for higher quality anyway. He should just calculate how many pairs he needs to sell to make it a reality and then start the pre-orders

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 84
« Reply #532 on: February 10, 2020, 01:55:41 PM »
Not sure if anyone talked about it yet but does anyone know more about Pontus's new company Last Resort AB?

I asked on instagram in the comments about any vegans shoes, he liked my comment... So... Maybe?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #533 on: February 10, 2020, 03:10:09 PM »
Not sure if anyone talked about it yet but does anyone know more about Pontus's new company Last Resort AB?

I asked on instagram in the comments about any vegans shoes, he liked my comment... So... Maybe?
one can only hope, esp since he is essentially saying they are non-sweat shop produced.

Thomas

• no pop no style
« Reply #534 on: February 11, 2020, 01:50:17 AM »

Ahah I also asked him that and he liked my comment.
I don't want to hope too much because I don't want to be disappointed, but this would be the best ethical option for me since I live in Europe.

Pontus seems to be into Geta's actions, but I don't think he's into veganism that much.
Finger crossed...

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #535 on: February 12, 2020, 04:37:41 AM »
I just got some emerica omens (the winkowski ones) for cheap and have to say that the quality seems to supersede converse, vans and most skate shoes I have owned. Nicely cushioned, an inlay above the heel that keeps the shoe snuggly to your foot, very stiff sole for a vulcanized shoe and even the canvas seems fairly tough.

The weather has been too shit to skate since I got them but been walking them in for a few days and love them.

Very positively surprised after expecting a sk8 hi clone.

PMA

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 84
« Reply #536 on: February 12, 2020, 09:07:18 AM »
I just got some emerica omens (the winkowski ones) for cheap and have to say that the quality seems to supersede converse, vans and most skate shoes I have owned. Nicely cushioned, an inlay above the heel that keeps the shoe snuggly to your foot, very stiff sole for a vulcanized shoe and even the canvas seems fairly tough.

The weather has been too shit to skate since I got them but been walking them in for a few days and love them.

Very positively surprised after expecting a sk8 hi clone.

That's the shoe im skating now... They are fucking fantastic. I usually rip a switch ollie hole in most of my shoes after a few sessions.. But because of that rubber patch on the Winkowski's they are holding up... Great shoe.

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #537 on: February 12, 2020, 06:46:14 PM »
I have two pairs of Ryan Lay Etnies for sale, size 11, one blue pair and one burgundy. Selling them for $35+shipping. I'm too lazy to dig them out and take a pic but when I do I'll make a Sale thread in the Selling forum.

Those Accel Everstitch in white look fucking amazing.

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #538 on: February 13, 2020, 05:21:45 PM »
Still waiting for those Kenny Anderson signature shoes to come out...

That’d make me toss money Con’s way for sure.

TheVisitor

• Rep: -13
« Reply #539 on: March 05, 2020, 01:23:26 PM »
Finally got around to pulling these out. I have them listed for sale in the classifieds section.

https://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=109487.msg3234634#msg3234634
« Last Edit: March 05, 2020, 05:25:21 PM by TheVisitor »