Author Topic: Vegan skate shoes  (Read 171616 times)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
Re: Vegan skate shoes
« Reply #540 on: March 05, 2020, 03:15:42 PM »
Oh man, if they were size 10 I’d probably pull the trigger on them

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
« Reply #541 on: March 14, 2020, 06:43:12 AM »
If anyone cares to deal with the devil, Z*miez has Accel Plus Everstitch(black with clear sole) for 54.99 and Winkowski Omens for 39.99. Both are buy one get one 50% off. Both are good shoes. Accels are fantastic and I've been pleased with the winkowskis as well. I'm not usually a vulc guy but I like them.
Did anyone try the Grey/blue accel plus? I got a pair and the outsole started crumbling off. I had the black/teal ones and those were great. Sole Tech gave me a refund and I ordered a pair of the vegan Maranas. I'll probably put them away until summer. I'm kind of enjoying my winkowskis at the moment so I'll wait until those are shot.

No.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #542 on: March 14, 2020, 02:30:03 PM »
If anyone cares to deal with the devil, Z*miez has Accel Plus Everstitch(black with clear sole) for 54.99 and Winkowski Omens for 39.99. Both are buy one get one 50% off. Both are good shoes. Accels are fantastic and I've been pleased with the winkowskis as well. I'm not usually a vulc guy but I like them.
Did anyone try the Grey/blue accel plus? I got a pair and the outsole started crumbling off. I had the black/teal ones and those were great. Sole Tech gave me a refund and I ordered a pair of the vegan Maranas. I'll probably put them away until summer. I'm kind of enjoying my winkowskis at the moment so I'll wait until those are shot.

winkowskis are amazing, skating them right now, just had a tough time breaking them in, took really long with my pair, until i had the fabric around the ankles soft enough...

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #543 on: March 14, 2020, 11:09:04 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

winkowskis are amazing, skating them right now, just had a tough time breaking them in, took really long with my pair, until i had the fabric around the ankles soft enough...

Same here. Took a while, they are a little stiff and narrow but are for sure the nicest shoes I’ve had.

PMA

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #544 on: March 17, 2020, 03:21:08 AM »
Vegan skate shoe market is a baron wasteland at the moment. Good to hear the emerica omens are getting some love, I kinda want to try a pair but I also want to stick to cupsoles (and my Riley 2s). Sad to hear there is a difference between the different batches of accel pluses, I’ve been wanting to try a pair for a minute now, especially because my Swift 1s are so tough. Was even thinking about some Emerica Leo laced in white coated canvas because they have the g6 cupsole but the ankle collar and it’s lack of padding means people either love or hate them...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2020, 03:35:43 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #545 on: March 17, 2020, 05:14:36 AM »
Vegan skate shoe market is a baron wasteland at the moment. Good to hear the emerica omens are getting some love, I kinda want to try a pair but I also want to stick to cupsoles (and my Riley 2s). Sad to hear there is a difference between the different batches of accel pluses, I’ve been wanting to try a pair for a minute now, especially because my Swift 1s are so tough. Was even thinking about some Emerica Leo laced in white coated canvas because they have the g6 cupsole but the ankle collar and it’s lack of padding means people either love or hate them...
where are these still available?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #546 on: March 17, 2020, 05:53:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I can still get them online in Japan, you skated them before?

padded_shorts

« Reply #547 on: March 17, 2020, 07:16:31 AM »
Yeah, the accel plus differences is odd. I've had the blue/teal and they were amazing. My new ones, blue/grey, have a different style strap on them, not terrible but I preferred the previous. That and the outsole falling apart. I got my son a pair of the black with clear sole from the zumiez sale along with some jamesons. The black was the first to come out. It has a rubber toe, like the swift, instead of the kevlar. He hasn't worn them yet as everyone is stuck inside for a while. The Omens are great once they are broken in. I'm usually more into cupsoles, but these are nice. It would be good if they came in something other than white, but I can live with it.
No.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #548 on: March 17, 2020, 09:06:14 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I can still get them online in Japan, you skated them before?
No i haven't but interested in trying them

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #549 on: March 18, 2020, 02:47:15 AM »
I like the Hamilton and the slip-on from Etnies, might give them a try.
I never found Ryan Lay shoes in Europe though :'(

I other news, State added 4 colorways of the bishop in canvas for their fall 2020 collection, clearly stating "vegan" plus one slip-on. They are all canvas by the way...
Not a fan of the bishop shape, but I really like the brand so I will try them too.

I can vouch on the Bishop. Narrow toe box but has the rubber underlay in the toe to back the canvas up. They also have an grip similar to that of an SB. Insole ain't too shabby either.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #550 on: March 18, 2020, 08:40:13 PM »
Expand Quote
I like the Hamilton and the slip-on from Etnies, might give them a try.
I never found Ryan Lay shoes in Europe though :'(

I other news, State added 4 colorways of the bishop in canvas for their fall 2020 collection, clearly stating "vegan" plus one slip-on. They are all canvas by the way...
Not a fan of the bishop shape, but I really like the brand so I will try them too.
[close]

I can vouch on the Bishop. Narrow toe box but has the rubber underlay in the toe to back the canvas up. They also have an grip similar to that of an SB. Insole ain't too shabby either.
State make a great shoe and there is a lot of thought that goes into the design so they are pretty hard to rip even if they are canvas (and yes, they have rubber backing too). Be warned though, the soles are absolute pebble magnets!!!!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #551 on: March 20, 2020, 05:38:51 AM »
So I was kinda moping around the house today and found a brand new pair of accel slims in everstitch that I’d pretty much forgotten about, think I’ll run them until something else decent comes out ...

edit: *something decent comes out*

https://www.tactics.com/etnies/marana-michelin-skate-shoes/animal-friendly-tan-gum
« Last Edit: March 20, 2020, 07:49:38 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Ishaboi

• Rep: -1
« Reply #552 on: March 20, 2020, 02:24:48 PM »
Always try to support SoleTech on principle and was excited for the Winkowski Omen Hi's but after trying them on I immediately knew they weren't gonna work. Those soles are so damn thin.

jtrpma

• Rep: 45
  • PMA
« Reply #553 on: March 20, 2020, 09:15:17 PM »
Always try to support SoleTech on principle and was excited for the Winkowski Omen Hi's but after trying them on I immediately knew they weren't gonna work. Those soles are so damn thin.

Thin? I have been skating a pair for about a month and they still feel very stiff.

Really like them but the sole seems to be the opposite of thin.
Compared to adidas, vans, state that I skated they are much thicker

PMA

padded_shorts

« Reply #554 on: March 21, 2020, 05:36:11 AM »
So I was kinda moping around the house today and found a brand new pair of accel slims in everstitch that I’d pretty much forgotten about, think I’ll run them until something else decent comes out ...

https://www.tactics.com/etnies/marana-michelin-skate-shoes/animal-friendly-tan-gum
My maranas arrived yesterday. I haven't worn them yet. I'm still enjoying my Winkowskis. I'm sure I'll get curious and try them out soon, though not a lot of skating going on right now for obvious reasons.
No.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #555 on: March 21, 2020, 07:27:51 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
My maranas arrived yesterday. I haven't worn them yet. I'm still enjoying my Winkowskis. I'm sure I'll get curious and try them out soon, though not a lot of skating going on right now for obvious reasons.
bummer, can you review them in this thread when you get a chance?

So I took those accel slim everstitch out inot the street in front of our house today and despite me being the opposite of hard when it comes to wearing my shoes out, they took quite a beating 😱

padded_shorts

« Reply #556 on: March 21, 2020, 08:34:36 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]
bummer, can you review them in this thread when you get a chance?

So I took those accel slim everstitch out inot the street in front of our house today and despite me being the opposite of hard when it comes to wearing my shoes out, they took quite a beating 😱
The slims were just all everstitch right? no rubber on the toe? I think I looked at those last year and ended up going with the swifts instead. Those were great.
The toe box on the marana is synth with rubber. The heel is synth as well. The middle of the shoe is canvas. I think that is how all the maranas are made, just with suede in place of the canvas. I would assume they will hold up as well as a standard marana as the canvas isn't in a place that gets a lot of abuse. The cupsole is michelin and looks sturdy as hell. The tan color isn't the most stylish, but they look ok. They look a lot like what I used to skate back in the 90s, just before everything got huge and tech with air bubbles and stuff. I'm looking forward to trying them out. hopefully Etnies will continue to put stuff like this out.
No.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #557 on: March 22, 2020, 05:23:43 AM »
Yeah, straight everstitch no rubber/ thermothane. My Swifts have been bulletproof but it’s quite clear these weren’t meant to be skated. Oh wells, at least I’ll get a few sessions out of them. I’m guessing those etnies are going to be one of the strongest vegan shoes to date! I like the color, got some mid-90s Penny vibes👌

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #558 on: April 02, 2020, 01:51:05 PM »
the new Mike Anderson colorway of the Louie shoe looks like it might be vegan? Can't quite tell what's up with that heel tab if it's suede or not, but Mike has made some vegan-specific Cons in the past.  Fingers crossed. 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #559 on: April 03, 2020, 06:22:20 AM »
Saw them but they looked suede, hopefully it’s some cray super durable vegan suede that cons has access too with all that Nike $$$
In his slap pals questions he said he was gone leave it up to Kenny but one can still hope right?

devourthehours

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Rep: 51
  • I spit more rhymes than a lazy susan
« Reply #560 on: April 03, 2020, 06:56:50 AM »
the new Mike Anderson colorway of the Louie shoe looks like it might be vegan? Can't quite tell what's up with that heel tab if it's suede or not, but Mike has made some vegan-specific Cons in the past.  Fingers crossed. 

The cons websites says these are all rubber backed canvas: https://www.converse.com/shop/p/canvas-louie-lopez-pro-skate-shoe/167620C.html?dwvar_167620C_color=black%2Fwolf%20grey%2Fwhite&styleNo=167620C&cgid=skateboarding-shoes

Looks vegan to me.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #561 on: April 03, 2020, 08:27:27 AM »
I just can't figure it out!  On that cons link, you can super zoom in on the heel tab and it def looks like real suede (it's def not canvas at least).  But then I saw some spanish shop post them on instagram with an ultra close-up and you could see the heel tab was definitely canvas.  Wonder if the pics on the Cons site are from a pre-production sample?

rolandavalos

« Reply #562 on: April 10, 2020, 09:49:36 PM »
I personally was buying canvas hufs and emerica indicators off amazon for sometimes $20-$35. The industry is so behind with synthetics, but I've been skating like 4 etnies RLS and sheep collabs in a row for cheap off ccs and amazon.

AsianVegan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 95
« Reply #563 on: April 10, 2020, 10:37:15 PM »
I just can't figure it out!  On that cons link, you can super zoom in on the heel tab and it def looks like real suede (it's def not canvas at least).  But then I saw some spanish shop post them on instagram with an ultra close-up and you could see the heel tab was definitely canvas.  Wonder if the pics on the Cons site are from a pre-production sample?

He talks about going vegan it his Out There from last year so you might be in luck?

Slugboi22

• Rep: 67
« Reply #564 on: April 10, 2020, 11:59:23 PM »
Really interested in getting some of those Etnies Sheep shoes. I’m not a vegan/vegetarian in practice but I’m looking into shrinking my carbon footprint. Are they tts? How are they for skating?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #565 on: April 11, 2020, 08:28:10 AM »
Really interested in getting some of those Etnies Sheep shoes. I’m not a vegan/vegetarian in practice but I’m looking into shrinking my carbon footprint. Are they tts? How are they for skating?
honestly there are some better entries shoes that are meant for skating and are made out of recycled materials in this catalog: https://soletechnology-catalogues.cld.bz/etnies-SP20-US-Catalog/10/
Hamilton Bloom and Barge Reserve look great imho
The reboot of sheep is pretty weak and most of the shoes don't really look like they could take more than a few sessions. All Sole Tech runs tts for me!

In other news did anyone notice that Lakai did an all canvas Cambridge? They were selling them for $40 too but now they only have size 8 left... :(

https://www.lakai.com/collections/all/products/cambridge-black-textile-ms2190252a03
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 08:55:31 AM by Gay Imp Sausage Metal »

Slugboi22

• Rep: 67
« Reply #566 on: April 11, 2020, 11:31:42 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
honestly there are some better entries shoes that are meant for skating and are made out of recycled materials in this catalog: https://soletechnology-catalogues.cld.bz/etnies-SP20-US-Catalog/10/
The reboot of sheep is pretty weak and most of the shoes don't really look like they could take more than a few sessions. All Sole Tech runs tts for me!

In other news did anyone notice that Lakai did an all canvas Cambridge? They were selling them for $40 too but now they only have size 8 left... :(

https://www.lakai.com/collections/all/products/cambridge-black-textile-ms2190252a03
Hey thanks for the response! I might get them as chillers or something! I’ll definitely look into Etnies other models

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #567 on: April 18, 2020, 08:40:09 AM »

CatchMyFADE

• Rep: 17
« Reply #568 on: April 18, 2020, 11:33:51 AM »
quote author=AsianVegan link=topic=95511.msg3264480#msg3264480 date=1586583435]
Wonder if the pics on the Cons site are from a pre-production sample?

Bet you that's the case. I've seen an image floating around somewhere where the back heel appeared to be canvas, but the angle wasn't great. There are a few shoes that I have been wanting to skate in a non-leather version & this is certainly one of them, however that grey color blocking is wack, can't they just keep it a solid color upper?!

I too saw the Lakai Cambridge model, which looks pretty great, but yeah...sold out.

For vegan models I've been running the Huf Soto's w/ the rubber toe for a minute, which took a minute to break in and although they're durable, they're pretty stiff still. I also have a pair of DC Infinite TX on deck, visually look alright, but I have yet to be impressed by DC's cheap production quality.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2020, 11:36:01 AM by CatchMyFADE »

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #569 on: May 22, 2020, 08:49:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm not a vegan, but definitely try to be more conscientious. My wife won't eat beef or pork for instance. Just trying to do a little better, reduce reliance on animal cruelty every day.

But I legit almost pulled the trigger on a pair of the RLS x Sheep yesterday and got cold feet because they looked so damn flimsy. Like, I just kick around on curbs and flats and shit and don't think they'd ever be more than chillers.