Author Topic: Vegan skate shoes  (Read 171661 times)

rothdigga

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 574
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Vegan skate shoes
« Reply #1170 on: May 12, 2021, 02:28:07 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Wait @rothdigga are the 420's still around?  I feel like I haven't seen them in a minute which is too bad as I was a big fan.
[close]

Got 2 of them in the pipeline for 2021 so one is coming in a couple months then another right after it.  That would give us 4 vegan/animal friendly shoes in 2021...we're making some progress for everyone!
[close]

@rothdigga Thank you for the reply my dude!  Do you have any pull on getting a color way made?  There was an older New Balance that had the best color way ever and I'd love to see it on a 420
I have a little bit of input on that stuff, it's definitely a collaborative effort over here since our crew is so small but I'm definitely no designer and leave all of that to the experts.  But shoot me your colorway!  Via DM or here is fine if you have an image. 

culdesac

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1171 on: May 12, 2021, 05:35:56 PM »
@rothdigga can you say whether the two models coming are vulcs or cups? My old feet would like to know.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1172 on: May 12, 2021, 05:58:36 PM »
420s are always cups!!!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

culdesac

• Rep: -9
« Reply #1173 on: May 12, 2021, 06:11:47 PM »
420s are always cups!!!

True, forgot that those are landing in July based on the previous info in here. I was reading “got two of them in the pipeline” as two new models of shoe.

coneklr

« Reply #1174 on: May 12, 2021, 07:39:42 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Wait @rothdigga are the 420's still around?  I feel like I haven't seen them in a minute which is too bad as I was a big fan.
[close]

Got 2 of them in the pipeline for 2021 so one is coming in a couple months then another right after it.  That would give us 4 vegan/animal friendly shoes in 2021...we're making some progress for everyone!
[close]

@rothdigga Thank you for the reply my dude!  Do you have any pull on getting a color way made?  There was an older New Balance that had the best color way ever and I'd love to see it on a 420
[close]
I have a little bit of input on that stuff, it's definitely a collaborative effort over here since our crew is so small but I'm definitely no designer and leave all of that to the experts.  But shoot me your colorway!  Via DM or here is fine if you have an image.
Fuck yeah!  I'll dm you tomorrow on insta as soon as I can find the image.  Thanks @rothdigga

bebopCola

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1175 on: May 13, 2021, 11:37:33 AM »
These So iLL shoes look pretty decent:
https://soillholds.com/products/the-setter-2-0

I was looking for climbing shoes on the So iLL store and saw these. They're not skate shoes, but they look like they would work perfectly. Shipping to Canada is absurdly expensive (and there would likely be duty and taxes as well) so unfortunately I can't try them. So iLL's climbing shoes are made in America, but I can't find any info on where their casual shoes are made.

This thread has been a great resource. I bought the vegan Adidas Stan Smiths based on recommendations here, and I like them a lot. They're super comfy and they look great. They're holding up pretty well so far too.

One negative about the Stan Smith is that the sole is hollow, so they feel less sensitive than some other shoes. Another question mark for me is Adidas using the vegan label on these shoes, when I wonder if they are made in a sweat shop. I feel uncomfortable with companies using the vegan label when they exploit humans.

Does anyone have any recommendations for manufacturers of skate shoes who have ethical supply chains and manufacturing? So far I feel like I have always had to compromise on my ethics when buying skate shoes.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2021, 01:00:02 PM by bebopCola »

vegangangzta

« Reply #1176 on: May 13, 2021, 12:06:52 PM »
Ryan Lay is vegan and was every adamant that his Etnies pro model was too!

Oh wow, I’m excited about those eS models now, are they FA 2021 scheduled?

Oh ok. I feel like I’ve seen him skating suede shoes.

vegangangzta

« Reply #1177 on: May 13, 2021, 12:09:36 PM »
These So iLL shoes look pretty decent:
https://soillholds.com/products/the-setter-2-0

I was looking for climbing shoes on the So iLL store and saw these. They're not skate shoes, but they look like they would work. Shipping to Canada is absurdly expensive (and there would likely be duty and taxes as well) so unfortunately I can't try them. So iLL's climbing shoes are made in America, but I can't find any info on where their casual shoes are made.

This thread has been a great resource. I bought the vegan Adidas Stan Smiths based on recommendations here, and I like them a lot. They're super comfy and they look great. They're holding up pretty well so far too.

One negative about the Stan Smith is that the sole is hollow, so they feel less sensitive than some other shoes. Another question mark for me is Adidas using the vegan label on these shoes, when I wonder if they are made in a sweat shop. I feel uncomfortable with companies using the vegan label when they exploit humans.

Does anyone have any recommendations for manufacturers of skate shoes who have ethical supply chains and manufacturing? So far I feel like I have always had to compromise on my ethics when buying skate shoes.

I’m sure you could message whatever company you’re interested in purchasing from about their ethics but the only brand that comes to mind that makes it a statement is Ethletic. They just dropped a mid skate shoe. You can even leave the people who make your shoes a tip. Check their IG @ethletic

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1178 on: May 13, 2021, 12:12:28 PM »

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1179 on: May 13, 2021, 03:24:44 PM »
I like the look of the Windrow x Sheep. Will they fit same as Vans?

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #1180 on: May 15, 2021, 06:26:12 AM »
not sure if those have been posted, but i have been looking at globe's vegan offerings and they are not too bad.

here's the appleyard mids in vegan suede colorway

https://eu.globebrand.com/products/gs-chukka-washed-black?variant=33051230666806

lows, actually on sale in brown, pretty nice, vegan leather:

https://eu.globebrand.com/products/gs-sand-mock?variant=31620247388214

and if you want the fattest cup, it's right here hahaha:

https://eu.globebrand.com/products/fusion-golden-brown?variant=32466104680502

link to the whole vegan lineup

https://eu.globebrand.com/collections/vegan-friendly-shoes

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1181 on: May 15, 2021, 06:20:15 PM »
I don’t if I could buy Globe in 2021 but that Chukka boot looks pretty cool!

superleftswipebby

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 12
« Reply #1182 on: May 15, 2021, 07:54:41 PM »
i really want vans to release them andrew allen authentic highs again

TheCrimsonShroud

• Rep: 98
« Reply #1183 on: May 15, 2021, 08:23:45 PM »

You’re gonna have a rough time buying clothes not made in a sweatshop. Yeah, there are supposedly smaller brands that don’t do that shit, but you’re gonna pay an arm and a leg and still have zero proof it wasn’t made by someone in a sweatshop.

If it makes you feel any better, Adidas is pretty far and away the most responsible major manufacturer. There are sites and studies you can google if you want to look further into it. Also: fuck Stan Smiths, get you some Nizzas. Sole is still hollow, but they’re a lot cheaper (so the sole isn’t as big a deal) and the textile they’re made of is pretty rad.

Cubz

• Rep: 3
« Reply #1184 on: May 16, 2021, 06:13:04 AM »
not sure if those have been posted, but i have been looking at globe's vegan offerings and they are not too bad.

here's the appleyard mids in vegan suede colorway

https://eu.globebrand.com/products/gs-chukka-washed-black?variant=33051230666806

lows, actually on sale in brown, pretty nice, vegan leather:

https://eu.globebrand.com/products/gs-sand-mock?variant=31620247388214

and if you want the fattest cup, it's right here hahaha:

https://eu.globebrand.com/products/fusion-golden-brown?variant=32466104680502

link to the whole vegan lineup

https://eu.globebrand.com/collections/vegan-friendly-shoes

I got the vegan Encore 2 from Globe when they were available :
Expand Quote
Good on Globe for offering that many options but there’s no way I’m going to wear their shoes in 2020. Also, maybe be careful of that site, that guy isn’t always right with his claims of vegan shoes. I’d be more inclined to trust this thread tbh
[close]

Of course, I checked on Globe website before ordering, and the shoes are labelled "vegan friendly" (the Encore 2 and some other models are in synthetic leather/synthetic nubuck)  : https://fr.globebrand.com/collections/globe-vegan-skate-shoes

Edit : I received them today, they're pretty comfy right out of the box. TTS I would say, and toe box is ok for me. The synth nubuck looks good too !

Here are some pics :

They're great shoes, very durable (I don't skate in them tho) and the faux leather is one of the best I've ever seen.

The Etnies coming up looks similar in the construction. Really like the colorway ...but I don't need shoes and I'm waiting for the NB 420's  :D

CatchMyFADE

• Rep: 17
« Reply #1185 on: May 17, 2021, 10:12:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Vans had that pro old skool BMX in all ya th if you remember, but yeah vans is sleeping at the moment. How do they actually keep sending Ryan Lay non-vegan shoes? Like wtf?

Wait, eS is dropping a vegan Quattro? Oh down! What colour?

Those adidas were debunked multiple times and they STILL haven’t fixed the description 😭
[close]

Is he even vegan though? Think he just eats vegetables...

The Quattro is light grey. Looks dope!! The brown SILO SC looks super fresh as well.

I really wanna like the Accel slim but it's kinda narrow. Maybe I just need to size up.

And damn, oh well. I'd much rather support eS anyway.

Is there a photo of the Grey Quattro floating around? Any idea when those will be dropping? Thx!!

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1186 on: May 17, 2021, 01:46:12 PM »

These feel awesome... Got a half size down which definitely seems like the right choice... I'll skate em soon and report back...

vegangangzta

« Reply #1187 on: May 19, 2021, 06:19:05 PM »
I have a few barely worn shoes for sale if anyone needs em

Andrew Allen black high top size 11
New balance 420 grey size 11
Blondey light blue adidas size 10.5

Message me an offer, you can also dm me on the gram @dustinklimek - can send pics and all that thru there

born bummed

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1188 on: May 22, 2021, 07:33:31 AM »

Also, I feel like one of you guys mentioned this shoe before and someone said it wasn't vegan, but the description says it's all textile and synthetic...

https://www.adidas.com/us/busenitz-pro-shoes/G48060.html?cm_mmc=AdieSEM_Feeds-_-GoogleProductAds-_-NA-_-G48060&cm_mmca1=US&cm_mmca2=NA&dfw_tracker=24819-G48060-0009&ds_rl=1257009&ds_rl=1257012&gclid=CjwKCAjw1uiEBhBzEiwAO9B_HXwaVyBQonKGqvN1Yth7xdCM7O6_uZWos7hyHlE4WcctUpFX3ddZYhoCOvgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&kpid=G48060&sourceid=543457011

Yeah, I bought these last year based off the description. They are real suede. It has the tag inside saying it's from an animal source. I left a review on their site trying to alert people but I'm sure it's buried by now.

I just ordered a pair of the Windrow Sheep and the Jameson 2. I glad to see Etnies have so many options.

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #1189 on: May 22, 2021, 08:37:36 AM »

These feel awesome... Got a half size down which definitely seems like the right choice... I'll skate em soon and report back...
Damn those look sick . Did you purchase them directly from last resort ?

vegangangzta

« Reply #1190 on: May 24, 2021, 02:01:54 PM »
Last resorts are holding up ok. A little bit longer than a vans era would. Just shoo goo’d em last night. Also Ryan lay isn’t vegan, he’s clearly skating suede/leather shoes on his gram. Only actual vegan pro skater I know of is Templeton.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 02:12:13 PM by vegangangzta »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1191 on: May 27, 2021, 11:01:48 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CPZBV2zhNw5/?utm_medium=copy_link
eS is really pushing these, I hope they sell well!

Re: Ryan Lay. He was very outspoken about his veganism which makes me wonder why he went back to suede shoes??? I mean yeah, he’s getting them for free, but surely vans knows and even more so it wouldn’t be hard for him to say, hey yo, send me some vegan kicks!!!
He said he was having a shoe crisis on insta a while back, I sent him like 10 options he could possibly rock and he seemed stoked but yet, he’s still rocking suede...

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1192 on: May 28, 2021, 02:13:59 PM »
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CPZBV2zhNw5/?utm_medium=copy_link
eS is really pushing these, I hope they sell well!

Re: Ryan Lay. He was very outspoken about his veganism which makes me wonder why he went back to suede shoes??? I mean yeah, he’s getting them for free, but surely vans knows and even more so it wouldn’t be hard for him to say, hey yo, send me some vegan kicks!!!
He said he was having a shoe crisis on insta a while back, I sent him like 10 options he could possibly rock and he seemed stoked but yet, he’s still rocking suede...
My hope is that he's building a relationship with vans that could lead to better vegan offerings from them. It's been discussed here many times how vans, a pioneer in the vegan shoe thing, has been seriously lacking in the vegan category. Maybe he has to skate some suede shoes for a bit to get them to make something new? Maybe shoes is just one thing that he can live with being animal based. who knows. Everyone is just doing what they can and we shouldn't be judging how vegan other vegans are.
No.

shpongle

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 212
  • love everyOne and tell the truth
« Reply #1193 on: May 28, 2021, 03:50:04 PM »
never tell another vegan that you are vegan because if you slip up just a tiny bit you will get shit talked on. everybody slips up at some point on the vegan journey unless you are a perfect human being

sweet son of a bitch

« Reply #1194 on: May 29, 2021, 09:01:21 AM »
Last resorts are holding up ok. A little bit longer than a vans era would. Just shoo goo’d em last night. Also Ryan lay isn’t vegan, he’s clearly skating suede/leather shoes on his gram. Only actual vegan pro skater I know of is Templeton.
Just because he’s skating suede doesn’t make him not vegan . I’ve been vegan for 12 years and wear not vegan shoes since there’s not a solid cup synthetic shoe . If my local got canvas last resorts in would try them but I don’t care for most canvas shoes .

vegangangzta

« Reply #1195 on: May 29, 2021, 01:09:59 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Just because he’s skating suede doesn’t make him not vegan . I’ve been vegan for 12 years and wear not vegan shoes since there’s not a solid cup synthetic shoe . If my local got canvas last resorts in would try them but I don’t care for most canvas shoes .

Yes it does lol. Suede is made out of animals. Animals lose their lives for leather, suede and fur. You aren’t vegan. You just don’t eat meat. I’m not talking shit on Ryan Lay. He’s a good skater but, you are either are vegan or aren’t. The word means something.

Now, if you went vegan and had bought suede shoes before you were vegan, you can either skate them or donate em, since you already contributed to the suffering. But once you go vegan you don’t buy shoes made out of dead animals. Sometimes you have to compromise since we don’t live in a world that respects animals, but when it comes to fashion and skate shoes there are tons of options.

Also yeah, if you stop being vegan, it is lame because you were fully aware of how animals are exploited and then you turn your back on them.

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 147
« Reply #1196 on: May 29, 2021, 03:11:26 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Yes it does lol. Suede is made out of animals. Animals lose their lives for leather, suede and fur. You aren’t vegan. You just don’t eat meat. I’m not talking shit on Ryan Lay. He’s a good skater but, you are either are vegan or aren’t. The word means something.

Now, if you went vegan and had bought suede shoes before you were vegan, you can either skate them or donate em, since you already contributed to the suffering. But once you go vegan you don’t buy shoes made out of dead animals. Sometimes you have to compromise since we don’t live in a world that respects animals, but when it comes to fashion and skate shoes there are tons of options.

Also yeah, if you stop being vegan, it is lame because you were fully aware of how animals are exploited and then you turn your back on them.

Veganism is a system of ethics, not just a diet. Contributing to the suffering of animals by wearing their skin on your feet kind of directly opposes veganism. Reasoning as trivial as not wanting to wear a vulc doesn't really make it any less of an offense; it's a textbook example of putting comfortability over discipline and adherence to principle.

sweet son of a bitch

« Reply #1197 on: May 30, 2021, 08:51:24 AM »
never tell another vegan that you are vegan because if you slip up just a tiny bit you will get shit talked on. everybody slips up at some point on the vegan journey unless you are a perfect human being
Ha ha I should have listened . It’s great to be vegansplained as if I wasn’t aware . I could have been more specific as if I need to be here . Go vegetarian !

Frank and Fred

« Reply #1198 on: May 30, 2021, 08:58:31 AM »
You could just avoid labelling yourself and work out your own code of ethics and try your best to do minimal harm to the planet and its inhabitants as best you can each day. Our whole existence is a compromise at this point. Do what you can and don't get hung up on labels.

vegangangzta

« Reply #1199 on: May 30, 2021, 09:21:21 AM »

Ok, these look pretty fresh in person.

Anyone grab a pair? Curious about the fit.