Author Topic: Vegan skate shoes  (Read 171660 times)

Roisto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
Re: Vegan skate shoes
« Reply #1470 on: January 18, 2022, 10:01:27 PM »
Aren’t synthetic shoes taxed more heavily in the US than suede/leather or canvas? I remember reading this in some old Jenkem(?) article with DC perhaps. The materials themselves or the construction aren’t more expensive than with leather but the import tax makes it so that synth shoes generally have to be sold for $10 more to get the same profit. Something like that. When did this tax come about though, I don’t know. If it was in the early 00s, then it might offer a partial explanation as to why skate shoes moved away from synth materials. If the import tax has been around longer, there must be some other explanation for this.

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #1471 on: January 19, 2022, 02:58:46 AM »
Question for the older heads, if this hasn't already been addressed before.

I was taking a look through some old CCS catalogs that another Pal generously scanned and the shoe selections had me wondering. The widespread prevalence of synth models, particularly with synthetic uppers, or "all synthetic materials", in the  early 2000s was a little surprising to see. Besides maybe DC, DVS, and Lakai, most brands had an extensive array of synth offerings. I was curious as to why it seems the industry shifted away so drastically from synthetic materials. Were they that inferior to animal leather and suede? Did the use of synths hinder profit margins? And what do you think it would take for the footwear market to get back to that point; or are we so far into the adoption of animal-based construction that vegan shoes will forever be a market niche?

It's funny you mention this, as I've been doing the same thing checking the old catalogs and wondered this...

It definitely seemed like a lot of prominent models were synth as well, more than I remembered. I wish this could be the case now. Luckily éS seem to provide a few here and there, which suit me fine.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #1472 on: January 19, 2022, 05:15:41 AM »
Aren’t synthetic shoes taxed more heavily in the US than suede/leather or canvas? I remember reading this in some old Jenkem(?) article with DC perhaps. The materials themselves or the construction aren’t more expensive than with leather but the import tax makes it so that synth shoes generally have to be sold for $10 more to get the same profit. Something like that. When did this tax come about though, I don’t know. If it was in the early 00s, then it might offer a partial explanation as to why skate shoes moved away from synth materials. If the import tax has been around longer, there must be some other explanation for this.
The local skate shop informed me this once when I was looking at some vans . Even though they were labeled suede he said they were synthetic & even confirmed with the rep . #vegantax

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1473 on: January 19, 2022, 07:37:44 AM »
Yes, there is a higher import tax on shoes that are not made from "natural materials" and somehow dyed leather falls under the natural materials umbrella.  I think it was a combination of this tax plus the onset of the minimal/vulc trend that led to the move away from more synthetic shoes.  Both occurred around the same time iirc.

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 147
« Reply #1474 on: January 19, 2022, 08:12:44 AM »
Appreciate the responses. I didn't really consider the shift to low tech/vulc being a factor. Also the import taxes and seeming demand for cheaper, simpler shoes explains a lot. Shoe manufacturers probably saw it more lucrative to do more releases, with cheaper materials, than keep a few expensively made models in constant production. Chalk it up to ignorance or just being a youngin' but it seems to me that brands release and shelf models and colorways at a more rapid rate than ever. Nike proving the profitability of limited releases with the Dunks seems like an extension of that.

Plus, the dynamic of having only a few leading brands in a booming industry in the 2000s meant they were probably more able to spend the money on taxes and synthetic materials. Seems like there's much more competition nowadays, and regardless of how large skateboarding is, those companies operate on tighter margins to maximize profit and keep churning out new shoes.

And the fact that dyed leather is considered a natural material and isn't taxed as heavily seems off.

Morning Jazz Radio

• Rep: 20
  • Have your coffee with some jazz!
« Reply #1475 on: January 22, 2022, 09:40:51 AM »
Last Resort AB - new shoes VM003. Mid Feb release for the US. Definitely stoked Pontus and his crew are making vegan shoes.

https://www.lastresortab.com/collections/vegan

vegangangzta

« Reply #1476 on: January 22, 2022, 11:29:08 AM »
If you’re on Instagram, make sure to follow me at -

@vegan.skateshoes

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 121
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1477 on: January 24, 2022, 12:11:28 AM »
If you’re on Instagram, make sure to follow me at -

@vegan.skateshoes
I follow you mate!
In other news it looks like blondie’s new adidas kick will be vegan and this time it isn’t made our of see through plastic which is always a bonus. While he does absolutely nothing for me, I’m glad he goes out of his way to always talk about veganism when introducing his shoes; we certainly live in a crazy world in 2022 where Blondie is the only current pro talking about Veganism and footwear and Ryan Lay is getting flowed suede vans …

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1478 on: January 24, 2022, 02:18:08 PM »
I noticed that KA has been wearing some dark green midtops the past few weeks, and today he tagged Clearweather in his stories with what appears to be a black canvas & rubber version.  They posted this 11 weeks ago as "coming soon" so i imagine they're facing the same supply & logistics issues as everyone else.  I'll definitely try these out if they do turn out to be a vegan-friendly option.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1479 on: January 24, 2022, 08:21:06 PM »
I'll definitely try these out if they do turn out to be a vegan-friendly option.
and NOT a KA model right?

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1480 on: January 24, 2022, 08:56:49 PM »
I noticed that KA has been wearing some dark green midtops the past few weeks, and today he tagged Clearweather in his stories with what appears to be a black canvas & rubber version.  They posted this 11 weeks ago as "coming soon" so i imagine they're facing the same supply & logistics issues as everyone else.  I'll definitely try these out if they do turn out to be a vegan-friendly option.

Their comment on that post doesn’t sound very vegan friendly but let’s hope that’s just a not very well thought out reply.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1481 on: February 02, 2022, 10:36:32 AM »
The blacked out synthetic suede Temples are now available on the Emerica site.  Not really a fan of this particular model, but it's great to finally see a non-canvas option.
https://emerica.com/collections/footwear/products/temple-black-black-black

SquintinTarantino

• Rep: 28
« Reply #1482 on: February 02, 2022, 10:42:29 AM »
The blacked out synthetic suede Temples are now available on the Emerica site.  Not really a fan of this particular model, but it's great to finally see a non-canvas option.

I like those. Kind of remind me of the old Reynolds model.  Definitely nice to see a non-camo vegan option from Emerica too

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 147
« Reply #1483 on: February 02, 2022, 02:41:27 PM »

Ollie guard too? Instant cop

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1484 on: February 02, 2022, 08:43:52 PM »
Don't think I can do vulcs anymore but it looks like we are seeing the light at the end of the canvas slip-on tunnel!

I bought those made in USA NB dad shoes, make sure you half size up!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 12:23:51 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

OrangeVHStapes

• Rep: 84
« Reply #1485 on: February 03, 2022, 07:41:40 PM »
Not sure if this has been talked about but it seems like Vans is trying to do something… Better than typing in vegan in the search bar and only seeing like 2 belts and a dumb jacket…

https://www.vans.com/vegan.html

pedro_mayn

• Rep: 92
  • 1-800-PP-5-DOO-DOO
« Reply #1486 on: February 08, 2022, 01:24:47 AM »
Nothing of a proper review, but something I've noticed so far...

I bought the canvas Eos model, as they were on sale a month back on the Euro site. I didn't want to pass it up as they were £36 or something.

I'd say one thing for certain is that if you've been skating the thicker cupsoles in the range (Quattro or Silo like me), then you'll definitely notice how thin the insoles are in these shoes. I even think that was/is the complaint I saw about the Accel Slims when I saw reviews was about them, but I could be wrong. Either ways if you're skating their vulcs or thinner cupsoles you'll notice it more on the heel area as there's no padding inside the insole.

I had to swap them out as my heels were beginning to hurt after a few seshes. I put in the insoles from the 868s I had last year and now all seems well. The only thing with the shoes is that I did was glue them up a bit, as I've never had canvas shoes but I know for a fact I'd burn through them a lot since I skate a lot of flatground.

Other than that they're pretty decent, not sure if they'll do other vegan colours with the fake suede they're using at all. If they do I'd buy them again and just change the insoles, because they do look and skate great.
i don’t think any of you are real, i think slap was invented by my mom to make me think people want to talk to me

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1487 on: February 08, 2022, 04:44:15 AM »
@pedro_mayn its the same sole as the accel slims so yeah, pretty slim indeed. Hopefully the insole balances it out because it looks like a solid shoe. Btw, your prayers may have been answered because I’m pretty sure the black one featured here is vegan:

I always worry about clear soles for se reason though…

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1488 on: February 08, 2022, 06:00:51 AM »
@pedro_mayn its the same sole as the accel slims so yeah, pretty slim indeed. Hopefully the insole balances it out because it looks like a solid shoe. Btw, your prayers may have been answered because I’m pretty sure the black one featured here is vegan:

I always worry about clear soles for se reason though…
So strange, the toe piece looks like it's that matte synthetic suede, but the rest of the black parts are genuine suede (and confirmed in the description) https://esskateboarding.com/collections/footwear/products/eos-black-white-turquoise
Per eS' caption in that ig post:  No elephants were harmed (but a shitload of cows were)

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1489 on: February 08, 2022, 06:09:16 AM »
Someone is fucking up here because:
Looks like Freestyle shop uploaded some, if not all, of the next season's offerings from SoleTech. We'll see what's up when the catalogs get released. As of now, these are all the synths I could find:

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1490 on: February 08, 2022, 07:01:12 AM »
https://soletechnology-catalogues.cld.bz/eS-HO21-Catalog/28-29/  not listed as vegan in the catalog, so i'm gonna say it's Freestyle Shop that did the fucking up

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1491 on: February 09, 2022, 04:42:40 AM »
Damn that sucks, especially the whole “no elephants were harmed” part…

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #1492 on: February 09, 2022, 05:02:51 AM »
Anyone know of some cupsole synth shoes with a similar toe box to the nb 420? I have a wide foot and have gotten used to skating these, but would be open to some other options if they are out there. 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1493 on: February 09, 2022, 05:08:49 AM »
Anyone know of some cupsole synth shoes with a similar toe box to the nb 420? I have a wide foot and have gotten used to skating these, but would be open to some other options if they are out there. 
I wish I did… sadly there isn’t much else out there. 420s are getting harder to find too!

ToshiroTownune

• Rep: 70
« Reply #1494 on: February 09, 2022, 05:39:26 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I wish I did… sadly there isn’t much else out there. 420s are getting harder to find too!

Disappointing to hear, but I appreciate you spreading the word of the 420. Currently have five pairs on ice and should be good for quite awhile but can’t believe no other brands have stepped up.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #1495 on: February 09, 2022, 09:20:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Disappointing to hear, but I appreciate you spreading the word of the 420. Currently have five pairs on ice and should be good for quite awhile but can’t believe no other brands have stepped up.

The only other shoe I know is the Axion Majik which were 35 dollars on sale on the Zumiez's site, but they're out of stock. Plus, Axion... Probably just better to stick with the 420's.  :-\
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1496 on: February 09, 2022, 06:15:42 PM »
Axion are so hard to find though, I actually really like the look of the majiks!

https://www.routeone.co.uk/products/axion-majik-premium-skate-shoes-cream-italian-001130573

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #1497 on: February 12, 2022, 11:01:54 PM »
Damn that sucks, especially the whole “no elephants were harmed” part…

Lol it's so tone deaf

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #1498 on: February 16, 2022, 12:27:50 AM »
I am not a chucks fan, but Manderson is a rad guy!

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1499 on: February 16, 2022, 04:59:27 AM »
Good on manderson and it also looks like they didn’t renew KA’s contract, but I’m probably never going to buy a pair of chucks at my age.
Really digging the Quattros that came out in the last eS drop (white with grey accents), can’t try them on locally but the consensus was to half size up yeah?