Author Topic: Vegan skate shoes  (Read 171612 times)

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Vegan skate shoes
« Reply #1920 on: July 04, 2023, 06:45:13 AM »
Honestly surprised if vern is not wearing vegan kicks, dude has been vegan/ sXE since I can remember ….
I thought it was odd too, he was wearing some black suede adi-ease in a story the other day. They made lots of canvas adi-ease but I don’t think there was ever a synth suede one

sweet son of a bitch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 62
« Reply #1921 on: July 04, 2023, 09:56:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Honestly surprised if vern is not wearing vegan kicks, dude has been vegan/ sXE since I can remember ….
[close]
I thought it was odd too, he was wearing some black suede adi-ease in a story the other day. They made lots of canvas adi-ease but I don’t think there was ever a synth suede one
Yesh the adi-ease, Glad someone did their research instead of assuming I didn’t know what I was talking about. Nice try Gimp.
✔️💯🤣 guess Vern ain’t vegan no more

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 119
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1922 on: July 04, 2023, 08:50:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Yesh the adi-ease, Glad someone did their research instead of assuming I didn’t know what I was talking about. Nice try Gimp.
✔️💯🤣 guess Vern ain’t vegan no more
My bad, I assumed Vern was on his shit because I've seen him battle it out in the comments about whether the shoes he was wearing were vegan or not so either:
a) he no longer cares about shoes (I mean he was just in Tokyo and posting pics of all the vegan places he ate at so I'm guessing he's still vegan when it comes to what he eats?)
b) he's one of those vegans who can't tell the difference when buying shoes and/ or he got the wrong info about certain pairs of shoes (weren't those Adidas mistakingly labelled synth when they first dropped?)

Some people are really bad at the latter imho: won’t name names, but I follow someone on insta who thinks emerica KSLs in white are vegan (and promotes them as such) :o
« Last Edit: July 05, 2023, 12:19:24 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1923 on: July 05, 2023, 07:19:31 PM »

Buddypeacock

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1924 on: July 06, 2023, 08:47:53 AM »
Just got the 440 black/brown/white in the mail. I reached out to NB on their site and allegedly most of the products are made from synthetic materials unless stated otherwise but the glue can be non-vegan sometimes. This specific model is confirmed synthetic according to the representative I spoke to (and was confirmed earlier on the thread along with the legal reasons behind not being labeled vegan)

oak leaf

• Rep: 50
« Reply #1925 on: July 06, 2023, 12:04:29 PM »
Just got the 440 black/brown/white in the mail. I reached out to NB on their site and allegedly most of the products are made from synthetic materials unless stated otherwise but the glue can be non-vegan sometimes. This specific model is confirmed synthetic according to the representative I spoke to (and was confirmed earlier on the thread along with the legal reasons behind not being labeled vegan)

could you do me a favor and post a link or pic of this colorway so i can keep an eye out at my local?

Pasta Monster

« Reply #1926 on: July 06, 2023, 02:58:57 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

could you do me a favor and post a link or pic of this colorway so i can keep an eye out at my local?

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1927 on: July 06, 2023, 07:40:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Mine arrived today as well. I ordered both a 12 and a 13 because of all the sizing comments in the NB thread (and NB offers free returns). I’d say that my foot is a 12.25, and the 13s are definitely too big. But the 12s are confusing… when I feel for my toe in the front of the shoe (like an old school shoe salesman) I’ve got a good 1/8-1/4 inch of room. But they FEEL small. I think it’s because the arch of the shoe is designed a bit forward so it kinda pushes my foot forward. I wonder if this is one of the things that’s gonna get tweaked in the redesigned 440 discussed in the NB thread. For now I’ll keep the 12s and hope I get used to them. I’m bummed cuz these seemed like the perfect vegan cupsole I was looking for, but the fit is just a bit off

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1928 on: July 06, 2023, 07:43:47 PM »
Ouch @kneebone, not what I wanted to hear because I’m like a 10.25 I feel so I’d probably opt for 10. Have you swapped out insoles yet? I’ll have to do it anyway because I wear an orthotic one.

Ngl, I would have preferred if the vegan one was all black …

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1929 on: July 06, 2023, 08:14:34 PM »
Ouch @kneebone, not what I wanted to hear because I’m like a 10.25 I feel so I’d probably opt for 10. Have you swapped out insoles yet? I’ll have to do it anyway because I wear an orthotic one.
I think you’ll be ok if you go with a 10.5, my dilemma is that a 12.5 would probably be perfect but it doesn’t exist for this shoe. Even with a thicker insole the 13s are too big. Also in the NB thread people were complaining about the stock insoles + outsole being way too thin but they seem pretty good to me! I’ve definitely worn thinner cups (looking at you Adidas Puig)

Roisto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 474
« Reply #1930 on: July 06, 2023, 10:46:51 PM »
That vegan Figgy G6 is looking good. I’m not a fan of all black shoes and even though black with white sole works almost every time it’s a bit boring. I will definitely consider getting these. I don’t think I’ve had a vegan cupsole shoe since the 90s. Not sure how vegan those mostly synthetic shoes were back then though.

sebbo

• Rep: 20
« Reply #1931 on: July 07, 2023, 01:14:03 AM »
That vegan Figgy G6 is looking good. I’m not a fan of all black shoes and even though black with white sole works almost every time it’s a bit boring. I will definitely consider getting these. I don’t think I’ve had a vegan cupsole shoe since the 90s. Not sure how vegan those mostly synthetic shoes were back then though.

Where did you find the vegan figgy? or is not out yet?

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1932 on: July 07, 2023, 01:55:48 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Where did you find the vegan figgy? or is not out yet?
holiday 2023, see my post up there↑

Sila

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 337
  • Jamu Gost
« Reply #1933 on: July 07, 2023, 02:18:18 AM »
Ok so which shoes are actually made using vegan glue aswell?

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1934 on: July 07, 2023, 04:56:29 AM »
Ok so which shoes are actually made using vegan glue aswell?
The big brands will always say they can’t confirm (probably because they use multiple sources) but the ones that I know have confirmed are sole tech and LRAB

finecojeffe

• Rep: 129
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #1935 on: July 07, 2023, 05:37:08 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
Mine arrived today as well. I ordered both a 12 and a 13 because of all the sizing comments in the NB thread (and NB offers free returns). I’d say that my foot is a 12.25, and the 13s are definitely too big. But the 12s are confusing… when I feel for my toe in the front of the shoe (like an old school shoe salesman) I’ve got a good 1/8-1/4 inch of room. But they FEEL small. I think it’s because the arch of the shoe is designed a bit forward so it kinda pushes my foot forward. I wonder if this is one of the things that’s gonna get tweaked in the redesigned 440 discussed in the NB thread. For now I’ll keep the 12s and hope I get used to them. I’m bummed cuz these seemed like the perfect vegan cupsole I was looking for, but the fit is just a bit off

this is why i have a shoe stretcher. I'm a 10 or 10.5 depending on the brand, but in reality my foot is a 10.25 and oversized shoes aren't something I like so I usually get a size 10 and just leave stretchers in the shoe for a few days. The microwave method people claim to work never seemed to work for me, so only a stretcher ever did the trick. The other thing a stretcher does is push the heel back a bit so it can take care of the forward push you're talking about, only a little though.

oak leaf

• Rep: 50
« Reply #1936 on: July 07, 2023, 07:31:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

appreciate it

SquintinTarantino

• Rep: 28
« Reply #1937 on: July 07, 2023, 11:59:21 AM »
Anyone know if any of the ASICS are going to be vegan friendly?

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 98
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #1938 on: July 08, 2023, 04:32:12 PM »
Cocteau Twins

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1939 on: July 08, 2023, 10:24:52 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
if it’s going to be done through the Japanese division, then no! Japanese shoe brands don’t give a fuck about veganism …

padded_shorts

• Rep: 5
« Reply #1940 on: July 10, 2023, 06:59:08 AM »
Anyone know if we're getting a new NB 420 colorway this year? I'm still in the purples and I've got a pair of the black and orange Marquis Henrys on ice, but I love that shoe and hope they keep putting it out.
No.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #1941 on: July 10, 2023, 07:57:36 AM »
Anyone know if we're getting a new NB 420 colorway this year? I'm still in the purples and I've got a pair of the black and orange Marquis Henrys on ice, but I love that shoe and hope they keep putting it out.
Yeah, it should hit shops starting this month, but it may be August depending on where you are. I don't know what the colorway is and actually came here to ask that. They've been releasing them on 7/10 which is basically 4/20 for weed concentrates, so I was hoping to snag a pair or two today.

Giftedly Hater’d

• Rep: 415
« Reply #1942 on: July 10, 2023, 08:58:00 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Synth seeleys prob

https://www.amazon.com/adidas-Originals-Mens-Seeley-Sneaker/dp/B09NY6BB6L

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1943 on: July 20, 2023, 08:13:02 AM »

born bummed

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1944 on: July 25, 2023, 12:18:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Synth seeleys prob

https://www.amazon.com/adidas-Originals-Mens-Seeley-Sneaker/dp/B09NY6BB6L

I didn't see Vern's story but I was gonna say I currently have the synth suede Seelys and wondered if it could have been those. Just yesterday I snagged another canvas/synth pair at the adidas outlet for $37.50. They also had the Grand Court 2.0 that is labeled all synthetic.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1945 on: July 25, 2023, 09:05:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
just to echo what @kneebone said:
I went TTS and there is enough room after my big toe and the toebox is more than wide enough but yeah ... something about them feels weird. changing the insole made my foot sit a bit lower and feel less cramped but I'm wondering whether they need breaking in, or I need to go up 0.5 size? they also feel a lot slimmer then spanky KSLs ...

JK42

• Rep: 22
« Reply #1946 on: July 26, 2023, 01:55:16 AM »
Possibly a daft question from a vegan shoe newbie who has dabbled with canvas shoes in the past. Does the synth leather/suede have issues in terms of breatheability compared to regular suede and obviously canvas in peoples experience. I sweat.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1094
« Reply #1947 on: July 27, 2023, 03:43:54 PM »
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1948 on: July 31, 2023, 02:24:20 PM »
Possibly a daft question from a vegan shoe newbie who has dabbled with canvas shoes in the past. Does the synth leather/suede have issues in terms of breatheability compared to regular suede and obviously canvas in peoples experience. I sweat.
Tried to respond to your DM but apparently i'm blocked. Generally synthetics are not very breathable, but the caspians have canvas on the tongue and side panels, and some vents in the toe, so they're not total sweat-boxes. But then again I've never really paid much attention to the breathability of my shoes. Sorry if that's not a super helpful answer, I'm just probably not the right person to ask

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 147
« Reply #1949 on: July 31, 2023, 03:17:09 PM »

They definately get sweaty. I don't really have experience with traditional leather shoes but I'd say they are less breathable than canvas pairs for sure; though a portion of that may be attributed to synth shoes being generally bulkier than canvas ones. It's never been an "issue" for me but everyone's different.