Author Topic: Vegan skate shoes  (Read 171710 times)

Mean salto

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
Re: Vegan skate shoes
« Reply #1980 on: September 16, 2023, 08:42:10 AM »
^I can't say one way or the other but I have a couple older pairs of Nike's and Adidas and the top layer on the tounge, heel, logo etc are all peeling showing they aren't real leather. There's also a YouTube channel called rose anvil where a guy takes apart shoes and boots and it seems like Nike almost never uses real leather on any logos.
Again I could be wrong but it would be wierd for the one shoe they actually used real leather for a logo on was also an otherwise full canvas one.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1981 on: September 17, 2023, 09:07:30 AM »
So I wound up taking the Orchard Sambas out for a sesh after all. I am 99% a vulc guy, and the outsoles on these felt a bit stiff and quite slick but I’m not sure if that is specific to these shoes or cup soles in general. Ultimately I had to stop skating in them after about 20 minutes. The narrowness of the sole in the midfoot and heel really made me feel apprehensive when trying to land certain tricks, and it felt like these were shoes that were not designed to be skate shoes….because, well, they weren’t. I will say that the contour of the ADV insole really does make the shoe fit much more glove-like and feels more stable than the general release sambas. But still, I’m going back to my vulcs for skating.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #1982 on: September 25, 2023, 09:23:04 PM »
So I wound up taking the Orchard Sambas out for a sesh after all. I am 99% a vulc guy, and the outsoles on these felt a bit stiff and quite slick but I’m not sure if that is specific to these shoes or cup soles in general. Ultimately I had to stop skating in them after about 20 minutes. The narrowness of the sole in the midfoot and heel really made me feel apprehensive when trying to land certain tricks, and it felt like these were shoes that were not designed to be skate shoes….because, well, they weren’t. I will say that the contour of the ADV insole really does make the shoe fit much more glove-like and feels more stable than the general release sambas. But still, I’m going back to my vulcs for skating.
thanks for that mate, sounds like they wouldn't be my cup of tea in all honesty, clear soles are often slicker from experience and the hits of red already kinda turned me off so I'm glad I didn't pick up a pair and then regret said decision.
I did however cop some 440s in 0.5 size up and they do feel really good imho when compared to my usual tts

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1983 on: September 26, 2023, 06:39:49 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
thanks for that mate, sounds like they wouldn't be my cup of tea in all honesty, clear soles are often slicker from experience and the hits of red already kinda turned me off so I'm glad I didn't pick up a pair and then regret said decision.
I did however cop some 440s in 0.5 size up and they do feel really good imho when compared to my usual tts
The next day after trying out the sambas, i finally skated in the 440s. I wore them around the house all day trying to get used to the fit and (to me) odd shape, and by the evening when I was ready to skate I was feeling pretty good about them. And then I had a great session in them, really an awesome skate shoe and the polar opposite of the samba experience. These 440s were soft, plush, wide, grippy, and felt broken in right out of the gate. But, they are too small for me. I kept doing that thing where you kick your foot back into the heel to try to make room for your toes. I wish they made 12.5s because these would probably be my end-all shoe, but for now these 12s are too small and the 13s were too big. I was psyched and bummed at the same time. The 440 is such a great shoe and it's awesome that they're available in a vegan version now, but I'll probably never buy/skate them again.

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #1984 on: September 29, 2023, 12:04:27 AM »
I'm on the hunt for a go-to pair of shoes after going through 11 pairs of the vegan Etnies Joslin black/black Michelin Vulcs. Sadly, they're becoming harder to find. I tried out the Samba Orchard's, but as @kneebone mentioned, they didn't quite feel like they were made for skating. Way too skinny in the middle of the shoe.

Is the Caspian Black/Gum colorway indeed vegan? It's listed that way in the catalog, but I couldn't find the confirmation on the website. It's a bit tricky since eS removed the vegan tab. I really don't want to accidentally buy suede.

Also a bit of a bummer that Emerica's fall catalog doesn't feature a new vegan model. Their new Vulc Low's look like comfy skate shoes, but yeah, not vegan-friendly. I hope SoleTech isn't moving away from vegan options.

i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1985 on: September 29, 2023, 04:25:19 AM »
I'm on the hunt for a go-to pair of shoes after going through 11 pairs of the vegan Etnies Joslin black/black Michelin Vulcs. Sadly, they're becoming harder to find. I tried out the Samba Orchard's, but as @kneebone mentioned, they didn't quite feel like they were made for skating. Way too skinny in the middle of the shoe.

Is the Caspian Black/Gum colorway indeed vegan? It's listed that way in the catalog, but I couldn't find the confirmation on the website. It's a bit tricky since eS removed the vegan tab. I really don't want to accidentally buy suede.

Also a bit of a bummer that Emerica's fall catalog doesn't feature a new vegan model. Their new Vulc Low's look like comfy skate shoes, but yeah, not vegan-friendly. I hope SoleTech isn't moving away from vegan options.
You want vulc, or can you do cups too?
440 seems like a safe go-to(provided you get the sizing right), spanly KSLs are getting phased out so don’t try them (or you’ll fall in love and then be dissatisfied you can’t find them anymore). Not a caspian wearer but @kneebone will probs be able to tell you.
Emerica is dropping a vegan figgy in the holiday drop if you can hold out? I don’t thin sole tech will phase out vegan models, they’ll always have a few on each drop …
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 06:27:02 AM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1986 on: September 29, 2023, 07:09:18 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
440 seems like a safe go-to(provided you get the sizing right), spanly KSLs are getting phased out so don’t try them (or you’ll fall in love and then be dissatisfied you can’t find them anymore). Not a caspian wearer but @kneebone will probs be able to tell you.
Emerica is dropping a vegan figgy in the holiday drop if you can hold out? I don’t thin sole tech will phase out vegan models, they’ll always have a few on each drop …

Heyo, GISM, I hope you're doing well brother. Thanks for the suggestions you provided.

I prefer thicker vulcanized soles and thinner cupsoles with shorter toe boxes, both aesthetically and for comfort. If Adidas ever created a skateable vegan cupsole like Puig, it's all I'd ever buy.

Hope you're right about SoleTech keeping vegan options, it was just alarming when the sorting option was removed from the eS website. I know there are studies stating the average "consumer" views the v-word in a negative light, and it's since been replaced with "plant-based".

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1987 on: September 29, 2023, 08:23:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Heyo, GISM, I hope you're doing well brother. Thanks for the suggestions you provided.

I prefer thicker vulcanized soles and thinner cupsoles with shorter toe boxes, both aesthetically and for comfort. If Adidas ever created a skateable vegan cupsole like Puig, it's all I'd ever buy.

Hope you're right about SoleTech keeping vegan options, it was just alarming when the sorting option was removed from the eS website. I know there are studies stating the average "consumer" views the v-word in a negative light, and it's since been replaced with "plant-based".
As GISM noted, if you can find a size in the 440 that fits you well, that shoe is a gamechanger and sounds exactly like what you're looking for. The black/gum caspian is indeed supposed to be vegan. The swift 1.5 is also a really good thin-ish cupsole. I got a pair of those during one of the big soletech sales and i've worn them around the house a few times but have yet to skate them. They feel like they'd be great tho.

PuffinMuffin

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1988 on: September 29, 2023, 09:13:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

[close]
As GISM noted, if you can find a size in the 440 that fits you well, that shoe is a gamechanger and sounds exactly like what you're looking for. The black/gum caspian is indeed supposed to be vegan. The swift 1.5 is also a really good thin-ish cupsole. I got a pair of those during one of the big soletech sales and i've worn them around the house a few times but have yet to skate them. They feel like they'd be great tho.

I wrongly assumed the Swift 1.5's was thick soled. I'm going to pick up a pair, as the 440's too wide for me. Thank you @kneebone

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1989 on: September 29, 2023, 04:02:49 PM »
Swift outsole is the best thin cup eS make!
https://eu.esskateboarding.com/collections/vegan
Everything on there bar the accel slim eco is vegan
« Last Edit: September 29, 2023, 04:48:38 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1990 on: October 02, 2023, 04:53:47 AM »
Japanese site is claiming XLTs to be synth …
https://uptodate.tokyo/dime-x-vans-rowley-xlt-2/

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1991 on: October 02, 2023, 05:10:09 AM »

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1992 on: October 02, 2023, 05:35:19 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
The Dime site says it also
okay, I’ll probably cop then tbh
They drop here on the 5th

Bill Salt

« Reply #1993 on: October 02, 2023, 07:19:28 AM »
shoes you can eat?

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1112
« Reply #1994 on: October 02, 2023, 11:28:48 AM »
shoes you can eat?

glasses 4 yur feet

herecomesaregular

• Rep: 6
« Reply #1995 on: October 02, 2023, 07:39:45 PM »

The synth suede was part of what made the originals so light, so it would have been dumb if not. But I wouldn’t have been surprised tbh.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #1996 on: October 03, 2023, 07:07:40 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

The synth suede was part of what made the originals so light, so it would have been dumb if not. But I wouldn’t have been surprised tbh.
Anyone know if the non-Dime ones are going to be synthetic as well?

rolling is good

• Rep: 12
« Reply #1997 on: October 03, 2023, 09:31:06 AM »
Are there shoes made in europe except for the thin canvas ones ?
Not necessarily from skate brands or made for skating.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #1998 on: October 03, 2023, 10:26:30 AM »
Are there shoes made in europe except for the thin canvas ones ?
Not necessarily from skate brands or made for skating.
Nae and Humans Are Vain are two companies that make shoes in Portugal. Noah makes shoes in Italy. Ahinsa makes shoes in Eastern Europe. Good Guys Don’t Wear Leather is a French company made in either Portugal or Italy depending on the model.

https://www.nae-vegan.com/en/
https://humansarevain.com/
https://www.noah-shop.com/en/
https://ahinsashoes.com/
https://goodguysdontwearleather.com/en-us

Síota

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 797
« Reply #1999 on: October 03, 2023, 10:44:33 AM »
Wasted are made in Europe and vegan. They always are on my Instagram feed like the paid posts shit.

https://wastedshoes.com/gb/content/6-sustainability

They should sponsor some skaters.

rolling is good

• Rep: 12
« Reply #2000 on: October 03, 2023, 12:29:02 PM »
Thanks, Ahinsa are original, strange toe box but I like them,
https://ahinsashoes.com/products/mens-pura-2-comfort-sneakers-black
Too bad they're confidential brands that I'll never see in physical shops.

SquintinTarantino

• Rep: 28
« Reply #2001 on: October 03, 2023, 02:40:52 PM »
Thanks, Ahinsa are original, strange toe box but I like them,
https://ahinsashoes.com/products/mens-pura-2-comfort-sneakers-black
Too bad they're confidential brands that I'll never see in physical shops.

I have a pair of Xero barefoot shoes that have a similar toe box and they are really comfortable.  It's contoured to better it the actual shape of your foot so your tootsies to get all squished together. 

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2002 on: October 11, 2023, 12:32:13 PM »
Gilbert teased these on his ig quite a while ago, but looks like they're finally making their way to shops now

https://www.atticskateshop.com/vans-crockett-high-decon-canvas-skate-shoe-blk-wht.html?id=99446225&quantity=1

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2003 on: October 11, 2023, 07:28:20 PM »
Gilbert teased these on his ig quite a while ago, but looks like they're finally making their way to shops now

https://www.atticskateshop.com/vans-crockett-high-decon-canvas-skate-shoe-blk-wht.html?id=99446225&quantity=1
nice! Only pair of vans in a long time that look decent to me (bar those xlt reissues)
Does the waffle cup have any sort of midsole, because I’ll be putting orthotics in there if I get a pair?

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 856
« Reply #2004 on: October 11, 2023, 10:06:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
nice! Only pair of vans in a long time that look decent to me (bar those xlt reissues)
Does the waffle cup have any sort of midsole, because I’ll be putting orthotics in there if I get a pair?
Assuming it's got the same sole as when it came out looks like no midsole
https://www.weartested.com/vans-crockett-pro-2/

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2005 on: October 12, 2023, 01:22:55 AM »
Guess I won’t be copping then…
In other news NB# thread was taking about 440 v2.0 vegan colourway

Pasta Monster

« Reply #2006 on: October 12, 2023, 09:57:45 AM »
That’s 6-8 months away. At least, we got the Figgy to look forward to during winter.

Does CONS use real leather for the inside of the shoes? The canvas Louies and denim One Stars have lining on the inside that feels like leather, but I can’t tell. It definitely feels different than the synthetic leather LRAB uses. The tag on the tongue says that it’s textile, which doesn’t help.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2007 on: October 12, 2023, 10:53:35 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
That’s 6-8 months away. At least, we got the Figgy to look forward to during winter.

Does CONS use real leather for the inside of the shoes? The canvas Louies and denim One Stars have lining on the inside that feels like leather, but I can’t tell. It definitely feels different than the synthetic leather LRAB uses. The tag on the tongue says that it’s textile, which doesn’t help.
The converse linings are usually synthetic. It's a polyester faux suede which is probably how it gets classified as textile. It's the same stuff they used to use in the lining of the latter-model janoski's (because the OG janoski's used real suede then they transitioned to the cheaper synthetic stuff)

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2008 on: October 16, 2023, 06:15:35 AM »
the holiday '23 emericas are up in their webstore. The listing on the Leo's says both "suede" and "vegan" but the catalog confirms they are supposed to be synthetic suede.
https://emerica.com/collections/footwear/products/romero-laced-black-tan-6102000136-975

https://emerica.com/collections/footwear/products/figgy-g6-grey-6102000135-020

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2009 on: October 16, 2023, 06:18:19 AM »
the holiday '23 emericas are up in their webstore. The listing on the Leo's says both "suede" and "vegan" but the catalog confirms they are supposed to be synthetic suede.
https://emerica.com/collections/footwear/products/romero-laced-black-tan-6102000136-975

https://emerica.com/collections/footwear/products/figgy-g6-grey-6102000135-020

I can’t rock anything red so I guess it’s the Leo’s for me, wondering how much the added heel tab will improve the shoe’s performance…