Author Topic: Vegan skate shoes  (Read 171729 times)

SquintinTarantino

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 28
Re: Vegan skate shoes
« Reply #2010 on: October 16, 2023, 10:42:08 AM »
the holiday '23 emericas are up in their webstore. The listing on the Leo's says both "suede" and "vegan" but the catalog confirms they are supposed to be synthetic suede.
https://emerica.com/collections/footwear/products/romero-laced-black-tan-6102000136-975

https://emerica.com/collections/footwear/products/figgy-g6-grey-6102000135-020

I'd fuck w/ both of these.  Like both designs/colorways

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 98
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #2011 on: October 16, 2023, 11:49:32 PM »
Bummed the Marc Johnson reissue doesn't have a vegan colorway
Cocteau Twins

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 120
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #2012 on: October 17, 2023, 01:08:05 AM »
Bummed the Marc Johnson reissue doesn't have a vegan colorway
yeah, seems like a no brainer …

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Pasta Monster

« Reply #2013 on: November 04, 2023, 09:09:14 AM »

Maccat

• Rep: 78
« Reply #2014 on: November 05, 2023, 04:46:57 AM »
$45 for a pair of the synthetic 440s after using "DADDIES20":
https://www.daddiesboardshop.com/collections/clearance/products/new-balance-440-shoes-black-white-vegan

also $48 for the Michael Sieben Emerica shoes using the same code:
https://www.daddiesboardshop.com/collections/clearance/products/emerica-x-michael-sieben-omen-hi-shoes-natural

Damn. Caught these at full price and the “suede” is supple. NB did a nice job on these.

kneebone

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 356
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2015 on: November 08, 2023, 03:05:13 PM »
we finally get a vegan Skate HalfCab and of course it's a dumb exclusive FA collab which sold out of the larger sizes very quickly. I'll pass on the camo ones but I do kinda like the crackle...

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2016 on: November 08, 2023, 03:42:33 PM »
vegan half cabs vs supporting Jason Dill?
Tempting, but I’ll pass; there’s no way I’m going walk around as a grown adult with “fucking awesome” written on any item of my fit …
« Last Edit: November 08, 2023, 04:03:36 PM by Gray Imp Sausage Metal »

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 147
« Reply #2017 on: November 08, 2023, 04:52:30 PM »
Shit shoulda stayed in 2015. I got my black/white hemp Half Cabs as chillers so I'm good.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #2018 on: November 09, 2023, 03:17:43 AM »
we finally get a vegan Skate HalfCab and of course it's a dumb exclusive FA collab which sold out of the larger sizes very quickly. I'll pass on the camo ones but I do kinda like the crackle...
Both colorways look like they’re all canvas but the description said it’s a combination of suede and canvas. Either way, I’m glad my size was sold out because I don’t want my money going to Dill or Beatrice.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2019 on: November 21, 2023, 05:13:54 PM »
Bit of a sad star of affairs at the moment, what is everyone rocking?
Still on spanky KSLs, but I’m going to need something new soon…

Shrinedescender

• Rep: 147
« Reply #2020 on: November 21, 2023, 05:38:30 PM »

Non-skate Adidas Campus. Some fashion collab pair I stumbled upon randomly with synthetic uppers. Best vegan shoes I ever skated. The suede and construction are so good they've lasted like three months of consistent wear. 

I think I'm done with Soletech. Sizing's never consistent, construction and material quality is often worse than the big brands. The whole "skater-owned" shtick runs thinner with every bad decision they make and every hideous shoe they put out. And the vegan market often gets the scraps in terms of colorways and models. I'm done wading through canvas vulcs and butt-ugly rainbow color shoes to find the one thing I'd actually wear; only for them to discontinue it or shelf it for three seasons. I'd rather shop around and wait for the big brands to 'veganize' their classic models (which they seem to be doing at an increasing rate), and in doing so I end up skating the same shoes the most stylish pros wore in the 90s.

Verdugo

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2021 on: November 21, 2023, 06:36:47 PM »

I’ve been wearing the Canvas LRAB VM003 for my last 3 shoes. I have 2 pair also waiting under my bed for next year. Love them and love supporting LR. I feel like every pair I get just get better.

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #2022 on: November 23, 2023, 12:52:44 AM »
Has anyone tried the vegan reeboks? How is the sizing and fit compared to other shoes (marana, superstar..), how is the sole and the synthetic upper? I am currently looking at some good discounts of club c 85 and court advance. And what would you choose between those above and a vegan joslin michellin vulc? I love the joslin cup but i am not sure about the vulc version.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2023 on: November 24, 2023, 04:41:06 AM »
@Shrinedescender good point about not keeping colourways around for more than one season etc., and yes eS quality is questionable when compared to Etnies and emerica. If they kept the KSL in the line in the vegan all black I would have been happy to keep buying them. Looks like #440 might have to be my happy medium.
Veganized big brand shoes might be the way to go but I haven’t really found anything to call a go to, sambas are too thin, has anyone skated vegan shell toes?

@Verdugo if I was a vulc guy LRAB would probably keep me happy but alas… is it just me or does it seem like they have less vegan models the last few drops? If they drop a vegan cup, I will pounce though!

@El Freegano maybe the court C would be a good option, not easy to find here in vegan colourways and not cheap, I also have no idea about their sizing …

Pasta Monster

« Reply #2024 on: November 24, 2023, 08:38:09 AM »
@Shrinedescender good point about not keeping colourways around for more than one season etc., and yes eS quality is questionable when compared to Etnies and emerica. If they kept the KSL in the line in the vegan all black I would have been happy to keep buying them. Looks like #440 might have to be my happy medium.
Veganized big brand shoes might be the way to go but I haven’t really found anything to call a go to, sambas are too thin, has anyone skated vegan shell toes?

@Verdugo if I was a vulc guy LRAB would probably keep me happy but alas… is it just me or does it seem like they have less vegan models the last few drops? If they drop a vegan cup, I will pounce though!
The only shoe in Emerica's lineup that they keep releasing in vegan colorways is the Wino Slip-On. The black colorway has been around for at least two seasons, and they have that mustard colorway. I'm disappointed that Etnies stopped making Windrow cups in vegan colorways. At least with the 440s, you know that there's going to be a vegan colorway of the 440v2 within the next 3-4 months. Plus, you can snag the synthetic v1s easily for the time-being. I like the Rowley XLTs, but they aren't durable for the price I paid. Also, I have no idea how many drops Vans plans on doing in the future. I just want one vegan cupsole that I can buy regularly, even if it only drops 1-2 times a year.

LRAB hasn't reduced the offerings of vegan models. Stores just aren't carrying everything from the drops. If you look at the LRAB website, there's quite a few, but mostly all VM003.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #2025 on: November 24, 2023, 05:50:06 PM »
Etnies has done a handful of synth vegan colors (most haven't been anywhere near as ugly as some of the canvas vegan colorways soletech is known for doing) of the Marana and Joslin. Hopefully they continue to do nice vegan colors on those models since KSL vegan was a one time deal it seems. Really hope they keep doing vegan colors for Joslin snd Marana if they slowed on the Windrow cup.

You can still find some of these floating around shops, depop, etc. online if you spend time searching.

Lately, Vern has been skating dunks (on IG). I'm not sure if they're canvas, synthetic suede, or something else. Or if they're old or new, but it would be cool to see more vegan dunk colorways, too.
Super Champion Fun Zone

sebbo

• Rep: 20
« Reply #2026 on: November 25, 2023, 05:44:42 AM »
After trying out emerica, etnies and és shoes I tried the Blazer Low x Doyenne and I must say that it held up much longer than the rest. Sadly it is pretty much gone everywhere.

sweet son of a bitch

• Rep: 62
« Reply #2027 on: November 26, 2023, 07:14:53 PM »
After trying out emerica, etnies and és shoes I tried the Blazer Low x Doyenne and I must say that it held up much longer than the rest. Sadly it is pretty much gone everywhere.
Stock X has em. The baroque’s are awesome to skate in.

Pasta Monster

« Reply #2028 on: November 27, 2023, 03:04:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I think Labor has a pair in 9.5 and I have a new pair in 9.0 that’s half a size too small that I’m trying to get rid of.

sebbo

• Rep: 20
« Reply #2029 on: November 28, 2023, 09:23:40 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I think Labor has a pair in 9.5 and I have a new pair in 9.0 that’s half a size too small that I’m trying to get rid of.

I am not from the US :)

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 37
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2030 on: November 28, 2023, 09:58:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

I am not from the US :)
Here in CZ there is a ship that have them in several sizes.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

The real veganshawn

• Rep: 98
  • What the fuck was that
« Reply #2031 on: November 28, 2023, 05:18:37 PM »
I haven't has a issue with Sole Tech but I'm a old guy who skates curbs so what do I know. I'm still skating the KSL and Last Resort high.
Cocteau Twins

PuffinMuffin

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1429
« Reply #2032 on: December 11, 2023, 03:13:34 AM »
Are the NB480’s in navy blue fully synthetic? I’ve noticed Ryan Lay donning them frequently.

Skating my second pair of the Ninejah Shoeston 3’s, they’re readily available for €40 here. Blacked out Nyjah’s name and the Nike logo with a paint marker. Quite resilient to wear, even more than the Michelin Etnies sole. They skate well, but offer little primo protection on the inner arch. Ouch.
i’m 80% skateboarder 20% atlantic puffin enthusiast

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2033 on: December 11, 2023, 05:59:37 AM »
Are the NB480’s in navy blue fully synthetic? I’ve noticed Ryan Lay donning them frequently.

Skating my second pair of the Ninejah Shoeston 3’s, they’re readily available for €40 here. Blacked out Nyjah’s name and the Nike logo with a paint marker. Quite resilient to wear, even more than the Michelin Etnies sole. They skate well, but offer little primo protection on the inner arch. Ouch.

Ryan Lay does not care about vegan shoes these days unfortunately…

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2034 on: January 04, 2024, 06:44:02 AM »
The Vault hemp HalfCabs are significantly marked down at End, with decent size runs in all three colors still available. Even after $9 shipping to the US, these still come out a lot cheaper than Skate HalfCabs
End is not a skateshop but I've ordered multiple times from them before, they're legit
https://www.endclothing.com/us/vans-vault-half-cab-cp-vr3-lx-vn0007publk1.html
https://www.endclothing.com/us/vans-vault-half-cab-cp-vr3-lx-vn0007pudol1.html
https://www.endclothing.com/us/vans-vault-half-cab-cp-vr3-lx-vn0007pujvy1.html

Monolithic Flick

• Rep: 3
« Reply #2035 on: January 04, 2024, 07:56:21 AM »
Let me say ahead of time I know zumiez is in the 'not cool' category.  And Nyjah is Nyjah.  But vegan skate shoes for 50 bucks are vegan skate shoes for 50 bucks, right?

https://www.zumiez.com/search/nyjah

My last pair of shoes were Tyshawn's and I liked them a ton.  But while not full vegan anymore (pescetarian these days), I got tired of seeing leather on my feet.  So giving the Nyjah 3's a shot.  Only one session, but I liked them. They are not easy to put on, but once my feet were in them, it was fine.  They are snug, but it didn't hurt me or anything.  Size 12, and oddly I feel like I maybe could have got away with 11.5 because of the length of the shoe. Will see how things go.  Another caveat is I'm not a good (or even very experienced) skater for what that matters.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 08:41:25 AM by Monolithic Flick »

arfaowi

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2036 on: January 05, 2024, 06:28:52 AM »
Hey, been following this site for years but first time posting. Got so happy when I saw the posts about the black/gum 440's. But I'm not sure they're made out of synthetic suede.. Just received two pairs and the little sticker inside has the "real leather" symbol on it. Chatted with NB and the first person said it was synthetic suede after I asked and when I told her about the leather symbol she dropped the chat. Tried again just now and the person I talked to said that the sticker most likely was a factory error as the shoe isn't made with leather, just suede (wtf?). I told her suede is leather and she sent me this list of all vegan NB shoes and said "these are not on there". See convo at the bottom.

So... back to square one if this is true.

/K

The list:
VEGAN RUNNING SHOES
Fresh Foam X 1080v12
Fresh Foam X 8860v13
Fresh Foam X 880v12
Fresh Foam Roav
Fresh Foam Roav Elite
Fresh Foam Cruz v1 Re-issue
Fresh Foam X More v4
Fresh Foam 680 v7
Fresh Foam X Hierro Mid
Fresh Foam X Hierro v7
Fresh Foam X More Trail v2
Fresh Foam X Vongo v5 
Fresh Foam X Tempo v2
Fresh Foam Arishi v4
FuelCell Rebelv3
FuelCell Summit Unknown v3
FuelCell SuperComp Trainer
FuelCell SuperComp Pacer
FuelCell Rebel TR
FuelCell Propel v3
FuelCell Prism v2
DynaSoft Nitrel v5
840v5
940v4

VEGAN TRAINING SHOES
DynaSoft Nergize v3
NB Nergize Sport
FuelCell Shift TR
Minimus TR
FuelCell Trainer
FuelCell 100

VEGAN WALKING SHOES
874v4

VEGAN BASKETBALL SHOES
TWO WXY v3

VEGAN TENNIS SHOES
Coco CG1
Fresh Foam X Lav V2
FuelCell 996 v4.5
996v4
796v3
696v4

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2037 on: January 05, 2024, 07:01:08 AM »
There was some reason that Rothdigga cited in the NB thread about why they couldn't call the 440s "vegan" but it was confirmed that they are 100% synthetic materials. I imagine this is just a case of the 3rd-party customer service agent not being fully informed, similar to the DC online customer service reps claiming that EVERY DC shoe was made with synthetic leather a couple years ago

EDIT: also, just to confirm, you got these synthetic black/gum 440s, right?

and not these real suede black/gums:

arfaowi

• Rep: 2
« Reply #2038 on: January 05, 2024, 09:32:16 AM »
There was some reason that Rothdigga cited in the NB thread about why they couldn't call the 440s "vegan" but it was confirmed that they are 100% synthetic materials. I imagine this is just a case of the 3rd-party customer service agent not being fully informed, similar to the DC online customer service reps claiming that EVERY DC shoe was made with synthetic leather a couple years ago

EDIT: also, just to confirm, you got these synthetic black/gum 440s, right?

and not these real suede black/gums:

Thanks for the info! Crazy that someone on the "inside" has to relay this info to us consumers while the Product Details section can't. I understand that there might be some law/rule prohibiting them calling it vegan but come on at least write synthetic suede on the website!!! It's beyond me how normal animal skin is in shoes that people and the companies themselves don't even think about it or reflect where it's actually coming from. End of vegan-rant!

Yeah, that's the ones I got, with gum only underneath the outsole. The "suede" do look very similar to my old Marana's, like a little bit more fluffy instead of a more compressed material like real suede.

kneebone

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2039 on: January 05, 2024, 01:10:33 PM »
this one really burns. I've been wanting a vegan-friendly Crockett low forever, and here's a new all-textile upper except the jazz stripe is leather

"made with corduroy and 10 oz canvas uppers. Leather accents offer an elevated aesthetic"
https://www.vans.com/en-us/shoes-c00081/gilbert-crockett-corduroy--shoe-pvn0a5jifbiq