Author Topic: Lacey Baker, shut up and skate.  (Read 23070 times)

Sleazy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 263
  • tiger style
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
Re: Lacey Baker, shut up and skate.
« Reply #120 on: December 21, 2015, 06:20:29 AM »
I agree with the point above, young girls aren't going to identify with angry, shaved head, masculine dressing female pros, when they probly want to be more like Jasmine or Belle and play with dolls. But I can also see how Leticia's marketing strategy/social media presence which is half or more cleave or ass shots could make girls who look up to her feel like they have to look like that or portray that image to be recognized and valued(her ass shots prolly get more likes than her skate shit...), where Leticia's skating alone is enough to justify her place in the industry. It's fine to show off your body and like the attention it gets you, but she isn't just some reddit girl posting in Gonewild, she's probably followed by every lil skater girl out there, who will emulate her and see what gets her recognition. Maybe she should keep her skate media outlets strictly skating and show girls that good skating is all you need to succeed and have a lil reddit account on the side to get attention for her body. 

i agree and think the over sexualizing is a problem too but i feel that laticia is probably the most marketable person who's got reasonable skill level right now. i'd also argue that if your young daughter is on social media you may have already lost the sexuality game.

slightly relevant so i'll post it. i'm not just talking about it, i'm actually in that zone right now.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #121 on: December 21, 2015, 06:29:51 AM »
Private vid^^ just a heads up

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #122 on: December 21, 2015, 06:46:48 AM »
made it unlisted so i think that should work

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2015, 07:01:07 AM »
Yee works now, very rad, she's lucky to have a dad like you, I really agree with the things you've said in this thread, you seem like solid ass papa. Respect.

Lonechicken

• Rep: 11
« Reply #124 on: December 21, 2015, 07:28:13 AM »
The numbers game is about as valid an argument as it gets on why there aren't a lot of great women skaters. Maybe Lacey should worry more about the graphic design field, where there seems to be more of an issue that can't be solved by participation. Just a quick glance shows that about 2/3rd of the students in graphic design are female, yet the numbers are flipped when you're talking about teaching positions and top graphic design jobs.

If someone really wanna cry sexism and inequality (which obviously does exist in skateboarding) then there shouldn't even be men's and women's divisions.  Women are equal, right?  Get a shot at the same prize purse, right?

That should be the eventual plan. For now, while the numbers are low, there's a valid argument for opportunity or representation or whatever by having a female division. Further necessitated by the probability that female skaters really only make money off of prizes and hardly off of board sales or any other sponsor checks.

That said, I remember last year, Leticia entered an open contest where there were about 75 guys (pro and am) and her. She placed in the top 25. Granted, these weren't all the top SLS guys or whatever, but why doesn't Lacey just go and make it happen in those types of contests like that?

[edited to bold some stuff]

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #125 on: December 21, 2015, 11:39:55 AM »
Leticia skated that bust or bail contest , the first one with the huge set of stairs . And I think both Leticia and Marissa both skated that wallenberg contest  ?

Is Leticia really pushing that much sexuality ?  I mean the " nude " shot she did was for ESPN ? and it was several different athletes male and female who posed nude . It wasnt really in skate media . As for shots showing off her ass or something . Thats just her body in the shot . fully clothed . Plenty of male skaters have had video parts / photos run with shirts off.

That guy who works for blind who skates naked now and then , pontus alv has some nude stuff aswell

Id be interested to hear Kalis point of view on this , He is part of the industry and has a daughter I believe  . Maybe she is not into skating but maybe other sports ?

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #126 on: December 21, 2015, 12:19:39 PM »
Yee works now, very rad, she's lucky to have a dad like you, I really agree with the things you've said in this thread, you seem like solid ass papa. Respect.

hey thanks man, appreciate the kind words

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #127 on: December 21, 2015, 12:25:30 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

hey thanks man, appreciate the kind words

Hey sleazy ( and anybody ells with kids in this thread )  Do you find it hard to not push your children into skating ? . Im not a parent so I cant really relate , but I hope to be a parent who supports my kids to do the activities they want to do . I would hope they do interesting sports and so on , but I wouldnt want to push them into it

Lonechicken

• Rep: 11
« Reply #128 on: December 21, 2015, 12:58:04 PM »
Hey sleazy ( and anybody ells with kids in this thread )  Do you find it hard to not push your children into skating ? . Im not a parent so I cant really relate , but I hope to be a parent who supports my kids to do the activities they want to do . I would hope they do interesting sports and so on , but I wouldnt want to push them into it

Maybe if I had boys, I'd give them an extra push, but I have two daughters. Their interest in various activities rise and fall so quickly that I'm trying to stay neutral until I can support them in something they really like.

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #129 on: December 21, 2015, 05:17:35 PM »

I mostly share the skater attitude with them which I the gonz is pretty much Peter Pan of that idea. Basically just encouraging them to find the fun things to do where ever you are and encouraging hands on things like arts, crafts and physical activities over tablets and video games. If they can bomb the driveway then I take them to the skate shop and let the pick a complete but honestly I don't really care what they do for fun as long my as they slay school. I'd be really surprised if they don't get to an age where they want to come to the skatepark with me and I think my youngest (3) might be a shredder in the making but who knows. I've got a fun box I drag out in the garage and he comes out and will knee board while I mess around on the fun box. My goal is happy, fun, well balanced individuals that I don't mind sharing the ups and down with and hopefully am lucky enough to see at my death bed. These photos kind of sum up my approach.

oh and fuck football...

zippy z

« Reply #130 on: December 21, 2015, 08:14:20 PM »
Someone pshop this gif.

oofnik

• Rep: 4
« Reply #131 on: December 21, 2015, 08:49:58 PM »
I back Lacey Baker. 

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 139
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #132 on: December 21, 2015, 08:58:00 PM »
I back Lacey Baker. 

Lacey Baker on Baker? BACKED!

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

MYXGAMES2015

« Reply #133 on: December 21, 2015, 09:38:56 PM »
She skated like 2 mph in SL and did tricks off the sides of ramps... Fuckin 12 year olds would get shit for that in a contest these days. She bitter

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #134 on: December 22, 2015, 06:57:16 AM »
I'm actually watching some of the contest now, and yea Leticia is actually skating way better than Lacey IMO, going fast and hitting the gaps like its nothin, Alexis and Marissa go for it way harder too.

edit: Also pretty weird how Lacey has her friend/partner up on the deck with her? and everyone is cool girling the fuck out of Leticia, they literally look right past her/wont make eye contact, shits lame as fuck actually I feel bad for her, and she's the one ripping the hardest, her outfit is less revealing than any female athletes in the Olympics ffs

edit: 2.0 pretty sure Lacey just looked over at Leticia and shook her head after Leticia finished a very nice run
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 07:13:24 AM by perverted super otaku! »

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #135 on: December 22, 2015, 09:38:11 AM »
Don't know if anyone noticed in that sl contest, but the other younger Brazilian girl skating was trying to front board on the handrail there. She gave a good handful of slams, until vanessa rolls right up after the girl missed another & sticks a front board in her face, which pushed her up on the score card. Only bugs me, cause I had a similar experience recently in battling a trick only for someone I was with to roll right up and take it from me. It sucked the air out of me and was really uninspiring, so I gave up. 

shit_for_brains

« Reply #136 on: December 22, 2015, 10:36:49 AM »
You poor little soul. It's a contest and landing tricks is what makes you win. You're an idiot if you don't do tricks you can land.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #137 on: December 22, 2015, 05:35:55 PM »
Don't know if anyone noticed in that sl contest, but the other younger Brazilian girl skating was trying to front board on the handrail there. She gave a good handful of slams, until vanessa rolls right up after the girl missed another & sticks a front board in her face, which pushed her up on the score card. Only bugs me, cause I had a similar experience recently in battling a trick only for someone I was with to roll right up and take it from me. It sucked the air out of me and was really uninspiring, so I gave up. 
If somebody shows you up, fuck em, who cares? Keep doing your thing.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Tracer

• Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #138 on: December 22, 2015, 05:49:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Do you even skate? That's the #1 unwritten rule in skating.. Don't do someone else's trick, people do that all the time to me and I immediately stop trying it and move on. I don't want to do something you just did! Skating is a creative activity, if you can't think of something unique noone else is trying then F YOU, go home and play video games.

Nyjah learned sw front blunt and showed up Paul in one of the SLS contests. He lost that one too. Dick move even if you're out of options.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #139 on: December 23, 2015, 07:08:16 AM »
eh, oh well. It's distasteful to some, tough luck to others.

Just figured I'd point it out since some people always have a tendancy to bitch about the small things (ie: mean mugging, trying tricks on the side of someone else's run, Leticia's mud butt... you know etc).

When it happened to me, I just eventually started feeling more competitive after awhile (with myself, in a good way) & moved on. It's just that it was with someone I knew, so it was a little odd. I'm a poor little soul, haha!

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • tiger style
« Reply #140 on: December 23, 2015, 08:33:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Do you even skate? That's the #1 unwritten rule in skating.. Don't do someone else's trick, people do that all the time to me and I immediately stop trying it and move on. I don't want to do something you just did! Skating is a creative activity, if you can't think of something unique noone else is trying then F YOU, go home and play video games.

Nyjah learned sw front blunt and showed up Paul in one of the SLS contests. He lost that one too. Dick move even if you're out of options.

yeah because no one else thought to try front board on the flat rail at the park before you skated it

Silky Johnson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1362
« Reply #141 on: December 24, 2015, 03:55:50 AM »
Getting shown up sucks but

Custom skater

• Rep: -80
« Reply #142 on: December 24, 2015, 04:37:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
vans send me shoes but they are never going to go further than that.
[close]

Hey, um, I don't think talking about your sponsors like that is a good idea if you want to stay on their team.
[close]
heh, i thought the same thing. 'i've been sponsored by bones since i was 12 but they never pay me'. free wheels for a decade is awesome and i'd say she's better than i am but in this great game we play i think i'm about as influential in getting kids to skate as she is. well, minus the street league audience back when we were both just skating on our own time. all older skaters are in a way 'selling' skating to younger kids who think we're cool.
*nothing to do w/ anything i had the tv on this show 'satisfaction' and the background was all these stairs, handrails w/ no knobs and steep banks going down the stairs. does anyone know where that place exists? it looks chicago-ey but the show is so-call so prolly LA but i don't think i've seen it on videos. and if i did they were chicago vids.

For 12 years, she didn't have to spend a single dime on skate wheels because she was sponsored by bones.  That shit is heaps awesome. 

How much do bones wheels cost in America? What to do the math on this shit.

Dad you're embarrassing me

• Rep: 66
« Reply #143 on: December 24, 2015, 05:33:10 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I mostly share the skater attitude with them which I the gonz is pretty much Peter Pan of that idea. Basically just encouraging them to find the fun things to do where ever you are and encouraging hands on things like arts, crafts and physical activities over tablets and video games. If they can bomb the driveway then I take them to the skate shop and let the pick a complete but honestly I don't really care what they do for fun as long my as they slay school. I'd be really surprised if they don't get to an age where they want to come to the skatepark with me and I think my youngest (3) might be a shredder in the making but who knows. I've got a fun box I drag out in the garage and he comes out and will knee board while I mess around on the fun box. My goal is happy, fun, well balanced individuals that I don't mind sharing the ups and down with and hopefully am lucky enough to see at my death bed. These photos kind of sum up my approach.

oh and fuck football...

This, but if my son ever becomes a scooter rat I will disown him!

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #144 on: December 24, 2015, 03:21:18 PM »
Dont remember if anybody brought this up . But I saw it on another site

How can you guys support Lacey Baker's statements? She's whining for equality, but it's because she's a woman that she has any sponsors. Whining about Vans and Bones not paying her? How about all of us men (who skate better than her) who have to buy shoes and buy wheels? If she was treated equally as a man, like she's complaining about, she would have no sponsors and not able to skate those contests and make any money. She'd be just another dude at the skatepark. And dissing Leticia for being pretty... Lacey's whack af.

Its a really good point , if she was a guy then she wouldnt even be on flow . Some of you guys brought up about preforming like a man if you want the paychecks like a man