Author Topic: Lacey Baker, shut up and skate.  (Read 23264 times)

Tay

Re: Lacey Baker, shut up and skate.
« Reply #90 on: December 18, 2015, 11:41:04 PM »
WTF? Women have a lower centre of gravity?

On what planet? Cause they have tits?

Or because they are on average about half a foot shorter than men?

Every movement a human makes uses muscle including popping your board or your 12 ounce curl. That would be fast twitch muscle fibres allowing you to pop and lift your legs off the ground with speed.

Muscle is determined during pregnancy by the mother.

Male center of gravity is located at the center of the chest at the sternum, while female center of gravity is located at the center of the pelvis.

Please elaborate your last point, I'm puzzled.

Tracer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -65309
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #91 on: December 18, 2015, 11:47:13 PM »
Expand Quote

Every movement a human makes uses muscle including popping your board or your 12 ounce curl. That would be fast twitch muscle fibres allowing you to pop and lift your legs off the ground with speed.

[close]
Male center of gravity is located at the center of the chest at the sternum, while female center of gravity is located at the center of the pelvis.

Tay don't be stupid, people come in all shapes and sizes there's no definitive "center of gravity" for either sex. I expect better from you

shit_for_brains

« Reply #92 on: December 19, 2015, 12:46:20 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Perhaps I can help. Brett, as you may be able to tell, is fucking stupid.

lk130

• Topic and Post Probation
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -829
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #93 on: December 19, 2015, 12:53:24 AM »
I voted for Marisa dal santo doe
I need Cariuma -Me

yungxmulaxbaby

sluggers

• Rep: -407
« Reply #94 on: December 19, 2015, 01:40:37 AM »
A man’s center of gravity is located at the center of his chest at his sternum while a woman’s center of gravity is located approximately in the center of her pelvis.

Tenterhooks

• Rep: 112
  • I love you x
    • http://davidgalletly.com avatar image
« Reply #95 on: December 19, 2015, 01:45:47 AM »
Any increased spotlight on female pros is a positive, regardless of their ability (and especially regardless of what they look like). Kids love having heroes. A 10 year old girl is gonna get way more stoked to try skateboarding if they see someone they can relate to doing it first. The more girls who skate, the higher the standard gets and the more market there is.

Remember how hyped everyone was on this?:

As it stands, this kid is gonna have to put up with an incredible amount of bullshit if she wants to keep skating into her 20s, whatever her ability and however she decides to dress. Many girls don't start (or don't stick with it) because skateboarding isn't always a particularly fun place for them. She doesn't need a bunch of angry dudes arguing about her centre of gravity.
"Was I a hero? Maybe to Hero, I was a hero." - Doug Brown

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -26
« Reply #96 on: December 19, 2015, 05:56:36 AM »
I still dont really see why men are better then woman at skateboarding and snowboarding ?

Girls and women are not exactly encouraged to take up hobbies. This is an old remnant of the era that women were destined to be mothers and housewives so as kids they were "trained" accordingly. Women now are more free but old habits die hard, so you see women mostly being occupied with... Boys or something indoors like reading. This means that few women take up a sport, start a band, skate or whatever compared to men and this means that even fewer talents or exceptional women take up an activity and excel on it. The lack of exceptional women may have a mental effect on women who think that they cant make it because of their gender. Men believe that also and dont encourage women as well. So yeah thats why old habits,   patriarchy in particualr, die hard.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 06:02:31 AM by Tufty »

Righteous Victim

• Rep: 110
  • Get yourself looked at.
    • Letterboxd avatar image
« Reply #97 on: December 19, 2015, 07:00:20 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I still dont really see why men are better then woman at skateboarding and snowboarding ?

basic act is popping the tail and raising your knees . Which is not really muscle depending� .Men and women gymnasts are pretty similar right ? in terms of flexibility and balance .

Snowboarders dont really pop do they ? they just pull their legs up and spin / slide on rails . Shouldnt women be able to get the same speed and get the same kind of air and spin ?

Kinda puzzled why women are not as good as male skateboarder , whats the main difference between a male kickflip and female kickflip?

Marissa Dal Santos part might be the best female part released ? but its not even close to most california flow kids footage
[close]
Men have 10-12x more testosterone than women. Better for negotiating space and taking risks. That's my guess.
[close]
Combine what you guys said with the plain numbers game... maybe 30x more men skate than women?� I never see girls actually skating at the skateparks i go to.� Drawing from a way bigger pool helps the level get raised.
[close]

Im not gonna buy the 10-12x more testosterone for taking risks . There are women fighters , woman Army Rangers , women BASE Jumpers , Astronauts and fighter pilots . Sorry I dont know what " negotiating space " means ?

I had to check a few youtube vids to find out the " center of gravity " is for men and women .  Women have their gravity spot around the ass / hips and men have it around the chest shoulders .  With all the gymnasts , movement training , yoga . running and so on .
I dont see why this wouldnt allow a woman to kickflip a 10 stair or do high airs in a snow half pipe

The numbers might be the only one I would kind of agree on . But with how big snowboarding and skateboarding is there should be more women at the same level as the men .
It's how men evolved. When boys go through puberty they become even more energetic and take bigger risks. Girls get more estrogen which gives them a greater instinct for self-preservation. Evolution, dawg. They're the ones carrying the babies. Obviously there are woman fire fighters and shit, but a lot less. When I said "negotiating space" I meant spatial awareness.

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #98 on: December 19, 2015, 07:19:37 AM »
I don't think any female athletes get paid equally to their male counter parts, do they? Like I'm sure even the lowest paid NBA player probably brings in more than mid level WNBA players.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

ADOLF SHITLER

« Reply #99 on: December 19, 2015, 07:31:18 AM »
I don't think any female athletes get paid equally to their male counter parts, do they? Like I'm sure even the lowest paid NBA player probably brings in more than mid level WNBA players.
lol u ever watch a wnba game? a d-1 highschool team could beat any team in the wnba and it still would be boring as fuck and noone would watch

Monty Burns

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -325
  • Release the hounds
« Reply #100 on: December 19, 2015, 07:53:10 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Girls and women are not exactly encouraged to take up hobbies. This is an old remnant of the era that women were destined to be mothers and housewives so as kids they were "trained" accordingly. Women now are more free but old habits die hard, so you see women mostly being occupied with... Boys or something indoors like reading. This means that few women take up a sport, start a band, skate or whatever compared to men and this means that even fewer talents or exceptional women take up an activity and excel on it. The lack of exceptional women may have a mental effect on women who think that they cant make it because of their gender. Men believe that also and dont encourage women as well. So yeah thats why old habits,   patriarchy in particualr, die hard.

Im not sure about that . Growing up in the 80s and 90s . I can remember almost every girl having a sports hobby . With time I guess most male and females quit when it starts getting more serious ,takes more time and you need to be skilled to make a go with it.

Since its 2015 now , I would assume even more girls have sports hobbies now . No sports is taboo now are they ? I dont really know the situation in greece , but Id say in the West West , Most girls are picking a sport and going with it . Look at countries like Japan which has strong traditional values of women not doing sports . Even Iran and Afghanistan has football teams and track and field .

After somelooking into it ,  its not 10-12% its 7–8 times as great as in adult females . Reading up on it yes testosterone does increase risk taking , but I cant really say I believe if a woman was getting testosterone shots she would be andrew reynolds the next day .
Jumping down stuff , you either do it or dont do it , female or male .

if the issues was spatial awareness and not enough testosterone for risk taking . You should be able to have girls really sick at flatground tricks

Brett

• Rep: -14
« Reply #101 on: December 19, 2015, 09:08:19 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Actually, I was a personal fitness/trainer for 15 years and worked with athletes of all shapes and sizes. I also hang out with a physicist.

FYI. - Gravity is a constant. The human body is in most cases constantly moving thus changing the centre of gravity.
Maybe you can understand this.
-In the anatomical position, the COG lies approximately anterior to the second sacral vertebra. However, since human beings do not remain fixed in the anatomical position, the precise location of the COG changes constantly with every new position of the body and limbs. The bodily proportions of the individual will also affect the location of the COG.

Comparing a truck to an indy car. Both vehicles, one much lower to the ground, thus a lower centre of gravity! Simple really, now days you can google it before you say you know!

The Woodsman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 39
« Reply #102 on: December 19, 2015, 03:03:36 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
lol u ever watch a wnba game? a d-1 highschool team could beat any team in the wnba and it still would be boring as fuck and noone would watch

Yea but that was kind of my point, the level of competition for men and women in almost every sport (with the exception of gymnastics and things were being small and light are an advantage) is vastly different.
She bitches about women in skateboarding not getting paid the same or Having the same recognition as men but that's how it is in basically every sport/hobby/activity you can earn a living in. I mean there are male cheerleaders and they do it cause they like it but they will never make Dallas Cowboys cheerleader money but they do it cause they like it.
You make the high school to WMBA comparison and it makes total sense, in skating think about the parts that little kids come out with (like Nyjah when he was 13 or sheckler when he was around the same age) they are better than any street part I have ever seen from a woman.
I'll probably sound like an asshole saying this but people don't want to be impressed by a woman, they just want to be impressed period. What I mean is people don't care that a girl front boards a 12 stair when there are guys gre flip front boarding the same stairs. So until women can start really breaking new ground or innovating in some way they just aren't going to get the same amount of recognition.
I'm glad that they do it and it's sick that they have a place cause I think everyone should be accepted in skating no matter what age/race/gender/religion/sexual preference you are, and it's tight that your role models to young girls but what women and men do in skating is just not the same.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
-Gandhi

ChrisSennsGirlfriend

• Rep: 130
« Reply #103 on: December 19, 2015, 03:25:28 PM »
While she's spot on about some things, I fundamentally disagree with all of her gripes that have anything to do with economics. There is no double standard because anyone, of either gender, has the opportunity to win $100,000 if they can do stuff like switch 360 double flip a big gap or nollie hardflip noseslide 270 shuv out on a ledge. In that regard, level of skateboarding dictating level of payment [that is: if there were actual, true equality in skateboarding in terms of not seeing gender while giving out rights/opportunities/access] the women were grossly OVERPAID if they indeed received any economic reward at all [put plainly: watching that women's event was fucking torturous more often than it wasn't and we all know it].

In that regard she's biting the hand that feeds her pretty fucking hard and even though I think she's right about the industry ignoring the skating in terms of objectifying women, it's my opinion that's maybe the only avenue where throwing around rhetoric like 'double standard' is valid and not misleading regarding the valuation of the actual skating itself.

The recent rash of interviews w/ female skaters only solidified my suspicion that Alexis Sablone is my favorite, on and off a board. She seems pretty self-effacing and her mind is clearly on issues far grander than her place in skating and even skateboarding itself. No words wasted on cliquey drama or complaining about paychecks. Will gladly read anything concerning her, Elissa, Nora or Marisa.

I also hang out with a physicist.
Mike Anderson is a small town labor union hottie

jomeara1

« Reply #104 on: December 19, 2015, 03:37:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Actually, I was a personal fitness/trainer for 15 years and worked with athletes of all shapes and sizes. I also hang out with a physicist.

FYI. - Gravity is a constant. The human body is in most cases constantly moving thus changing the centre of gravity.
Maybe you can understand this.
-In the anatomical position, the COG lies approximately anterior to the second sacral vertebra. However, since human beings do not remain fixed in the anatomical position, the precise location of the COG changes constantly with every new position of the body and limbs. The bodily proportions of the individual will also affect the location of the COG.

Comparing a truck to an indy car. Both vehicles, one much lower to the ground, thus a lower centre of gravity! Simple really, now days you can google it before you say you know!

Nothing personal

Bobby Peru

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 609
    • Community Push avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #105 on: December 19, 2015, 04:08:58 PM »
If someone really wanna cry sexism and inequality (which obviously does exist in skateboarding) then there shouldn't even be men's and women's divisions.  Women are equal, right?  Get a shot at the same prize purse, right?

No. People get this ridiculously simplified theory that a flat plane of judgment means equality across the board, but really all it does is continue to cater to people in power. If a (theoretical) industry is composed of 90% white dudes, then the other 10% of people interested in rising in their career, or the non-white male newcomers are subjected to the white male biases of 90% of their industry, thus often missing out on opportunities, promotion, etc. And those biases are very prevalent in skateboarding. Just scroll through the thread, or most SLAP threads for that matter and keep a tally of dudes commenting on female skaters' attractiveness, bitching and moaning about how they're not sponsored when Lacey Baker is while concurrently commenting on why Leo Valls's simple trick selection is better than Nyjah's in a different thread, and on and on.

A women's division is necessary for female skating to exist in a climate like this. As pointed out earlier, even favorites like Elissa and Marisa aren't doing the same tricks as most male pros. With all the social barriers for a girl taking up skating, there needs to be some kind of female-centric division or community (i.e. Meow) in order to encourage newcomers and advance current mainstays.

I have to agree with this:

Expand Quote
SLAP is especially ignorant as fuck today.
[close]

nylin

« Reply #106 on: December 19, 2015, 05:09:22 PM »
Kinda off topic but didn't she have a brother that skated for Sk8mafia? I think his name was Jeremy something.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #107 on: December 19, 2015, 05:11:59 PM »
I guess a lot of the issue here is the fact that it kind of runs into two contradicting ethics that I hold.
First, I think there should be more women in skateboarding. Its lame as a boys club, and I think there is a place for women in skateboarding especially as role models for younger girls who may want to skate, but only see "the boys" doing it. I think there should be more than enough room in our culture for female pros, even if they aren't switch flipping onto handrails.
But here's the other thing, i strongly agree with the idea that male or female- skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. Whenever people complain that they deserve more, especially when they are already getting more than just the pure enjoyment skateboarding gives, it annoys me. You can't afford plane tickets to go on tour skating? Neither can I.
With both of those things said. I'm glad Lacey Baker is stirring some shit up and ripping as a girl. Also, the best thing that could happen to girls competitive skating would be some sort of competitive rivalry that pits her against Leticia. The punk vs. the princess or whatever...people would take sides and want to see who beats who, even if they don't care overall about girl's skating.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #108 on: December 19, 2015, 05:39:07 PM »
If someone really wanna cry sexism and inequality (which obviously does exist in skateboarding) then there shouldn't even be men's and women's divisions.  Women are equal, right?  Get a shot at the same prize purse, right?

Well, the point of the women division is about creating a female market next to the male one. People dont get that and they think as if women are here to beat the males, and they often get jealous because many people skate better and are not even sponsored.

Lacey here complains because of the way cute girls are being marketed, which doesnt create female role model skaters and a similar female oriented market, but rather jerk-off material for male skaters as a vehicle for more advertisement on males. This is bad, as female skating becomes about males, and I am with her.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2015, 05:53:13 PM by Tufty »

shark tits

« Reply #109 on: December 19, 2015, 06:11:07 PM »
Expand Quote
If someone really wanna cry sexism and inequality (which obviously does exist in skateboarding) then there shouldn't even be men's and women's divisions.  Women are equal, right?  Get a shot at the same prize purse, right?
[close]

Well, the point of the women division is about creating a female market next to the male one. People dont get that and they think as if women are here to beat the males, and they often get jealous because many people skate better and are not even sponsored.

Lacey here complains because of the way cute girls are being marketed, which doesnt create female role model skaters and a similar female oriented market, but rather jerk-off material for male skaters as a vehicle for more advertisement on males. This is bad, as female skating becomes about males, and I am with her.
that's sorta too bad and as a fan of riot grrl and any time people diy on their own i'd love for girls to skate for other girls. alas, we're a message board of mostly males talking about girl skaters and unless there's an equal amount of females discussing female skaters somewhere that i'm not aware of then male skaters are the biggest demographic to consume female skating.
compared to when it was just elissa steamer [superstar] girls have come along ways in this game we play. evolution is slow.

franquietits

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 64
« Reply #110 on: December 20, 2015, 09:12:09 AM »
I guess a lot of the issue here is the fact that it kind of runs into two contradicting ethics that I hold.
First, I think there should be more women in skateboarding. Its lame as a boys club, and I think there is a place for women in skateboarding especially as role models for younger girls who may want to skate, but only see "the boys" doing it. I think there should be more than enough room in our culture for female pros, even if they aren't switch flipping onto handrails.
But here's the other thing, i strongly agree with the idea that male or female- skateboarding doesn't owe you shit. Whenever people complain that they deserve more, especially when they are already getting more than just the pure enjoyment skateboarding gives, it annoys me. You can't afford plane tickets to go on tour skating? Neither can I.
With both of those things said. I'm glad Lacey Baker is stirring some shit up and ripping as a girl. Also, the best thing that could happen to girls competitive skating would be some sort of competitive rivalry that pits her against Leticia. The punk vs. the princess or whatever...people would take sides and want to see who beats who, even if they don't care overall about girl's skating.

This could be interesting! Kind of like the Hawk/Hosoi wars, rivalries in sports or even the hoopla that goes into combat sports with one against the other. These could help generate interest, because if there's one thing that people like & can grip them, it's a good story-line.

ManMelt

« Reply #111 on: December 20, 2015, 10:55:14 AM »
Lacey just sounds bitter and jealous. "Skateboarding" doesn't market Leticia's looks or appeal, she does. Or maybe ESPN does, but who the fuck cares about ESPN anyway. She kooked it when she completely bit Dylan's style, the day after Cherry came out, which is lame for any adult to do. She complains about skateboarding being a boy's club, but skate's for a girls club company. I would also bet she identifies as Trans, which is cool, as so does my sister. The head shaving, the taping down of her boobs with bandages, she even looks like my sister. So technically, shouldn't she be entering men's contests anyway. There's no conspiracy, Lacey got fourth place at SL because she choked and missed most of her tricks. But so did Marissa. Anyway, as already stated, look towards Marissa, Elissa, or Alexis for how a skater should act, male or female.

Righteous Victim

• Rep: 110
  • Get yourself looked at.
    • Letterboxd avatar image
« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2015, 11:33:53 AM »
Let's turn this into an Alexis Sablone appreciation thread.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1595
« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2015, 10:52:57 PM »
Or at least vote for her......

Funny how skating insists its not a sport....but acts like it all the time....

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
« Reply #114 on: December 21, 2015, 04:46:37 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

my daughter is 7 and she skates with me sometimes just rolling around and all that and I couldn't disagree more with this. there is definitely a line with the use of sexuality that would be too much if crossed but i don't think leticia has crossed it yet. it's not just female, i think feminine is also important. a lot of the other female pros are way to masculine and rough around the edges to appeal to younger girls IMHO. i think nike is focusing on leticia for this exact reason. she's showing that you can still be feminine and pretty and into skating. let's face it, the majority of young girls don't have shaved heads and look and dress like guys. heel flip princess would go a lot further to getting my daughter stoked on skating than angry diked out women. and i know it's not a popular idea but parents are a big factor too. they are the ones that will have to spend the money and also time with their kids. i don't think the outcast, broken home female demographic is the same as the male version that skating got it's roots in. those girls are finding different ways to rebel against their dads. i think the suburban girl market is where girls skating has the most potential to catch on and that is why nike is investing it in. if you want to see more parents getting their young daughters into skating and more money for the female skaters, having something with a feminine flavor to it would definitely work better than the whole angry lesbian vibe. even if the dads were into it, the moms wouldn't be super down with that. it'd be like trying to get dads stoked on putting their sons in ballet.

givecigstosurfgroms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -958
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #115 on: December 21, 2015, 05:03:52 AM »
Just agreeing with the "male skating is drawn from a talent pool a thousand time larger" factor.  Which happens cause old gender definitions projected on babies and toddlers.  Women have the potential to be as good or better. (Skating and surfing are more about knowledge and grace than strength.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 05:05:35 AM by givecigstosurfgroms »
"I just care about the river, I dont care about your back"

Tufty

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #116 on: December 21, 2015, 05:06:23 AM »
 Well first thing is that you can be feminine with clothes on and without posing for corny non-skate ads.

When I was talking about a female market I had something in mind like the male market in 90s or early 00s, when it was small and this corpo bullshit with demographics and shit wasnt that into skating. So many different characters and personalities came out of this and left their diverse mark on skating. The problem with the corpo bullshit is that they will promote the clean cut suburban role model that parents are not afraid of and are willing to pour money into. However I think that leticia is the model that skater dad jerk offs to. All this, is not skateboarding for me. I miss the days when skateboarding was considered a threat and not some productive activity white suburban kids do and their consuming of goods is a market with potential. This demographic bullshit and marketing shit creates a uniformity in the skate scene that Nazis would be jealous of.

Yeah i want the dyke, the artist,  the ramp tramp,   the punk girl, the rap girl and the suburban kid do their thing.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2015, 05:12:22 AM by Tufty »

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1509
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #117 on: December 21, 2015, 05:19:59 AM »
Or at least vote for her......

Funny how skating insists its not a sport....but acts like it all the time....
In some instances, we're even worse.  Gay dudes who are in the NFL can at least openly say it without getting dropped.

perverted super otaku!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -217
  • "Needless to say, I had the last laugh."
  • Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #118 on: December 21, 2015, 05:56:29 AM »
I agree with the point above, young girls aren't going to identify with angry, shaved head, masculine dressing female pros, when they probly want to be more like Jasmine or Belle and play with dolls. But I can also see how Leticia's marketing strategy/social media presence which is half or more cleave or ass shots could make girls who look up to her feel like they have to look like that or portray that image to be recognized and valued(her ass shots prolly get more likes than her skate shit...), where Leticia's skating alone is enough to justify her place in the industry. It's fine to show off your body and like the attention it gets you, but she isn't just some reddit girl posting in Gonewild, she's probably followed by every lil skater girl out there, who will emulate her and see what gets her recognition. Maybe she should keep her skate media outlets strictly skating and show girls that good skating is all you need to succeed and have a lil reddit account on the side to get attention for her body. 

Sleazy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 266
  • tiger style
« Reply #119 on: December 21, 2015, 06:02:22 AM »
Well first thing is that you can be feminine with clothes on and without posing for corny non-skate ads.

When I was talking about a female market I had something in mind like the male market in 90s or early 00s, when it was small and this corpo bullshit with demographics and shit wasnt that into skating. So many different characters and personalities came out of this and left their diverse mark on skating. The problem with the corpo bullshit is that they will promote the clean cut suburban role model that parents are not afraid of and are willing to pour money into. However I think that leticia is the model that skater dad jerk offs to. All this, is not skateboarding for me. I miss the days when skateboarding was considered a threat and not some productive activity white suburban kids do and their consuming of goods is a market with potential. This demographic bullshit and marketing shit creates a uniformity in the skate scene that Nazis would be jealous of.

Yeah i want the dyke, the artist,  the ramp tramp,   the punk girl, the rap girl and the suburban kid do their thing.

sure and i just brought a program board and like watching supreme videos. my comment wasn't about how i want it to be or how it should be, it was about how it actually is.

the conversation was about women being treated fairly when it comes to money and about laticia's image. nothing is stopping an underground girl skating movement. they can diy that shit all day long. the problem is that these girls don't seem to be into a diy, core, punk ethos type thing. they are complaining about not being treated equally in corporate events that are broadcast on tv and getting salty about nike getting behind someone who is way more marketable than they are to young kids who's parents will spend money. not many girls who are old enough to pay for their own stuff are going to pick up skating if they haven't already. if there is a market to create (and let's not pretend that's what's going on here) that market is with young girls who's parents will buy the goods. sure, if it takes off then there could be money in some more underground stuff but that's just not where things are right now. if it was, lacey et all wouldn't be so salty, they'd be making tons of money off their own brands.