Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 176805 times)

switchfakie

Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #1920 on: July 07, 2023, 09:19:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I don't get the Asics hype.
[close]

I’m not too excited about it but might pick up a pair when they go on sale. I’m not feeling those eraser pads pair. The beige with gum sole and and all black look good. I had a pair of Asics walking shoes a couple years ago and they were very comfortable. Hopefully the skate shoes will be the same.
[close]

Most of the models look okay and I'm sure they're decent quality. I'm just seeing a lot of hype for pretty some normie lookin shoes that seems premature to me.

then again I thought the same thing about NB and they're clearly doing alright, so I'll gladly be wrong again.

thas a really good point, i never thought theyd take off but all my homies swear by the cup sole

SatanicPanic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #1921 on: July 07, 2023, 11:35:26 AM »
Does this thread keep jumping back 4-5 posts from where you left off when clicking on new posts? Only happening for me in here
Yes

manysnakes

« Reply #1922 on: July 07, 2023, 12:03:13 PM »
Does this thread keep jumping back 4-5 posts from where you left off when clicking on new posts? Only happening for me in here

Indeed

GrayCellGreen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 293
« Reply #1923 on: July 07, 2023, 08:43:22 PM »
The abbreviation "ss" for switch stance is stupid. Nobody would ever say "switch stance" when talking about a trick. You just say switch, therefore the better abbreviation is "sw".

swbsts>ssbsts

Glad I’m not the only one who thought this.

I blame Bam’s trick tip

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #1924 on: July 07, 2023, 08:44:31 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

I’m not too excited about it but might pick up a pair when they go on sale. I’m not feeling those eraser pads pair. The beige with gum sole and and all black look good. I had a pair of Asics walking shoes a couple years ago and they were very comfortable. Hopefully the skate shoes will be the same.
[close]

Most of the models look okay and I'm sure they're decent quality. I'm just seeing a lot of hype for pretty some normie lookin shoes that seems premature to me.

then again I thought the same thing about NB and they're clearly doing alright, so I'll gladly be wrong again.
[close]

thas a really good point, i never thought theyd take off but all my homies swear by the cup sole

It took like ten years for NB to be acceptable ie. now…..I also think subconsciously it’s because the ‘dad’ look is popular not just in skating but with a broader range of people ie. people who buy everything at thrift stores, skating is following the trends…..

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1925 on: July 07, 2023, 09:03:02 PM »
i don't like bs pop shuvs. i still do them, and they're a good warmup trick, but i don't like seeing them.
every time i see someone throw a pop shuv down a stair set it makes me vomit in my mouth a little - there's so many more better looking tricks you could be doing, but you aren't. why ??
front shuvs do get a pass, but barely. and i can make exceptions for when they're in manual combos
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

planman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 382
  • Morpheus drinking a 40 in a death basket
« Reply #1926 on: July 07, 2023, 09:08:56 PM »
i don't like bs pop shuvs. i still do them, and they're a good warmup trick, but i don't like seeing them.
every time i see someone throw a pop shuv down a stair set it makes me vomit in my mouth a little - there's so many more better looking tricks you could be doing, but you aren't. why ??
front shuvs do get a pass, but barely. and i can make exceptions for when they're in manual combos
These are the kind of hot takes we need right now. Thank you.

I saw your mom do a ollie to cooch drop straight down the big black pole, it was gnarly. she defiantly shut that shit down

formula420

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 90
« Reply #1927 on: July 07, 2023, 09:12:58 PM »
Expand Quote
The abbreviation "ss" for switch stance is stupid. Nobody would ever say "switch stance" when talking about a trick. You just say switch, therefore the better abbreviation is "sw".

swbsts>ssbsts

[close]

Glad I’m not the only one who thought this.

I blame Bam’s trick tip

Swbsts doesnt roll off the tongue the same way. Ssbsts is fun to say

switchfakie

« Reply #1928 on: July 07, 2023, 09:20:26 PM »

are you seeing doodoo pop shuvs?

my boy can pop heigh enough to go over ledges & catches them front foot & let me tell you, that shit gets me stoked to skate

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #1929 on: July 07, 2023, 09:32:00 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

my boy can pop heigh enough to go over ledges & catches them front foot & let me tell you, that shit gets me stoked to skate
tell your boy that if he can't do a 3 shuv over a ledge he should stick to ollies
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 136
« Reply #1930 on: July 07, 2023, 11:33:41 PM »

Yeah I just noticed that now that you say it and I feel like it possibly happened in another thread.

Southernmost

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 136
« Reply #1931 on: July 07, 2023, 11:40:04 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
tell your boy that if he can't do a 3 shuv over a ledge he should stick to ollies

3 Shuvs rarely look good. I agree with pop Shuvs not always looking great but some people make them look amazing. Shanahan had a nice one in his new part.

SHARPSHOOTER

• Rep: -304
  • Bret Hart
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1932 on: July 07, 2023, 11:46:06 PM »
5050 front shuv is a pro level trick

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
« Reply #1933 on: July 07, 2023, 11:49:36 PM »
5050 front shuv is a pro level trick

This is an unpopular opinion thread, not a commonly held belief thread

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 252
« Reply #1934 on: July 08, 2023, 12:13:44 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I really am not crazy about the logo and it seems too involved to cut it off (not to mention the price).   There’s a certain kind of early 00s scrawny indie kid with a zip up American Apparel hoodie and asics that always tainted the brand for me. 

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 872
« Reply #1935 on: July 08, 2023, 01:18:28 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I really am not crazy about the logo and it seems too involved to cut it off (not to mention the price).   There’s a certain kind of early 00s scrawny indie kid with a zip up American Apparel hoodie and asics that always tainted the brand for me.
We need some of the international slap users to chime in to what Asics means where they're from but i only just realised why I'm a little harsh on asics but never got why people outright hate nb is because where I'm from the brands are basically inverted. Asics is what every dorky dad has been wearing since the 80s and nb was for the hipstery kids or dedicated runners but usually pretty rarely seen.

shockpadsandwristguards

• Rep: -254
« Reply #1936 on: July 08, 2023, 01:35:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
We need some of the international slap users to chime in to what Asics means where they're from but i only just realised why I'm a little harsh on asics but never got why people outright hate nb is because where I'm from the brands are basically inverted. Asics is what every dorky dad has been wearing since the 80s and nb was for the hipstery kids or dedicated runners but usually pretty rarely seen.

for years asics and nb were white people shoes. all the Arabs/turks and black people were just wearing nikes mostly when it came to running shoes.
I think around 2010-2015 new balance got a hype around some of the dad shoes like the 990s,993s and 547s and also asics with the gel lyte 3s which lots of students started wearing. they always used to do the ugliest ankle cuffs on their jeans and no sock showing combination.
you saw them a little less until like 2020 when new balance put the 990s and 993s in so many color ways and collabs on the market. they were much easier to get than they were used to.
same for asics. they really profited of the new running shoe ugly dad sneaker wave. I think the most solid sneaker under hype beasts would be considered the asics gel kayano 14.

asics running shoes are considered to last longer than new balance. I feel like asics was always more of a sports brand for us until they also started doing a lot more of lifestyle shoes. I know they also started with the onitsuka tiger shoes but still I feel like they were more sports than dads comfy shoes.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2023, 02:00:01 AM by shockpadsandwristguards »

JANUS

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 605
« Reply #1937 on: July 08, 2023, 04:00:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

3 Shuvs rarely look good. I agree with pop Shuvs not always looking great but some people make them look amazing. Shanahan had a nice one in his new part.

Shanahan has weird T-rex arms. (I still like him, though.)
If you can't handle me at my Marc Johnson, you don't deserve me at my Bobby Puleo.

rusty knees

• Rep: -10
  • I had a photo in SLAP
« Reply #1938 on: July 08, 2023, 08:48:46 AM »
It used to bug me when back in the day while filming, you could tell someone was acting different or wanted to be in front of the camera so much they were really just making a fool of themselves….

now fast forward all these years and every single person has a video camera in their pocket. The thirst for ‘look at me!!’ combined with how meaningless the content is, is hard to watch.

changed1

« Reply #1939 on: July 08, 2023, 06:27:10 PM »
the only flip tricks you really need to show you got some sauce are kf, heelflip, 3flip, vheel, vflip, bsflip, fsflip & maybe hardflip (+fakie variations)

anything past those tricks are kinda nuanced tricks for people who really love flatground
This guys never done a switch tre or nollie hardflip before and it shows (or bs 3)

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1940 on: July 09, 2023, 11:30:24 AM »
Cookie is this era’s Marc Johnson

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -419
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #1941 on: July 09, 2023, 02:00:19 PM »
Expand Quote
the only flip tricks you really need to show you got some sauce are kf, heelflip, 3flip, vheel, vflip, bsflip, fsflip & maybe hardflip (+fakie variations)

anything past those tricks are kinda nuanced tricks for people who really love flatground
[close]
This guys never done a switch tre or nollie hardflip before and it shows (or bs 3)

I really want to believe switch and nollie was implied but him specifically including just fakie (the least necessary stance for flatground) makes me think that’s not the case. Post makes sense if it’s just anti-inward heel or weird cariuma shit but nollie inward heels are definitely an prerequisite for being a skilled flatground skater.

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1942 on: July 09, 2023, 02:49:17 PM »
Jeffwonsong is fucked, i can’t imagine how gnarly catching a double hardflip a foot off the ground is when you’re jumping down legit stairs, his ability to commit is genuinely very impressive

Sizzle

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1943 on: July 09, 2023, 03:46:53 PM »
They should have called sadlands happylands :)

switchfakie

« Reply #1944 on: July 10, 2023, 04:36:29 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Switch is for people who like flexing on people. Just a waste of time imo

I’ll keep my regular tre flips & harrdies tyvm

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1945 on: July 10, 2023, 07:11:11 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

Switch is for people who like flexing on people. Just a waste of time imo
Ouch. This is too true and I do a lot of switch tricks. Will go reflect on my life decisions now

switchfakie

« Reply #1946 on: July 10, 2023, 08:09:29 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

I really want to believe switch and nollie was implied but him specifically including just fakie (the least necessary stance for flatground) makes me think that’s not the case. Post makes sense if it’s just anti-inward heel or weird cariuma shit but nollie inward heels are definitely an prerequisite for being a skilled flatground skater.

You’re right, I forgot to add nollie, but I remain firm switch is fucking dumb asf

Ride with your shoulders looking stupid, pushing mongo while having zero steeze just for the sake on flexing?
“I dID iT sWiTcH BrUv, sO StYlE dUnt MaTtA”

thetrashisright

• Rep: 2
« Reply #1947 on: July 10, 2023, 08:54:27 AM »
I don't know if this is a popular or unpopular opinion but like, i keep getting videos on instagram of people doing tech decks/fingerboards/whatever they're calling them

And i think it's about as cool as guitar hero is to actually playing guitar and I don't get how anyone with a sense of dignity makes a video and actually shares it

cky enthusiast

« Reply #1948 on: July 10, 2023, 09:24:50 AM »
everybodys livin in a material world and i am a material girl

ChompskyHonk

• Rep: 8
  • flow state in the bruh dimension
« Reply #1949 on: July 10, 2023, 09:51:09 AM »
I'm kinda liking batb13. mark suciu vs Chris Cole was good

Chris Cole's style is weird as shit. like I get the appeal of keeping your back as straight as possible but in practice it looks so ugly

I like the fact that last resort/skinny ass hipster shoes can finally coexist with dc/es/fat potato ledge tech shoes. both ends of the shoe spectrum are entirely valid and can both end up looking amazing/awful depending on their execution and who's wearing them