Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 176752 times)

Kombuch-A-Holic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #2070 on: July 18, 2023, 12:46:49 PM »
Man, Beatles and Nirvana sucks.

Im not the rock head, but these bands are overrated..how white you most be to love them.

I must admit that I find The Beatles' music less appealing to my taste. They suck. On the other hand, I believe Nirvana's music is okay and holds up well over time. Recently, after not listening to them for over a decade or more, I had the pleasure of experiencing Nirvana's "Unplugged In New York," on viynl and it was a real treat.So hip. I may not be a big fan of The Beatles, but I do make an exception for "Help," largely influenced by Rodney Mullen. What are you guys even talking about? lol

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 132
« Reply #2071 on: July 18, 2023, 12:48:02 PM »
Expand Quote
bet some of y'all think the earth is flat or the Beatles are overrated too, huh?
[close]

I've found people who hate the Beatles are always very eager to inform everyone that they hate the Beatles.

This tracks. lol

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #2072 on: July 18, 2023, 12:56:05 PM »
I won't slam the Beatles, but idk what their draw is. Revolution, Eleanor Rigby, and Helter Skelter sound pretty cool, but I wouldn't miss anything if I never heard Come Together again.

I wouldn't say they're overrated but I ain't spending time listening to em
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

tadej Pog

• Rep: -527
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #2073 on: July 18, 2023, 12:58:15 PM »
Expand Quote

Im not the rock head, but these bands are overrated..how white you most be to love them.
[close]

I must admit that I find The Beatles' music less appealing to my taste. They suck. On the other hand, I believe Nirvana's music is okay and holds up well over time. Recently, after not listening to them for over a decade or more, I had the pleasure of experiencing Nirvana's "Unplugged In New York," on viynl and it was a real treat.So hip. I may not be a big fan of The Beatles, but I do make an exception for "Help," largely influenced by Rodney Mullen. What are you guys even talking about? lol

Im hip hop head, but I prefer Hole over Nirvana, maybe cause I assiciated it so much with Appleyard and others skatevideos.

But about Beatles I think they have no sauce, just easy chorus and polished image.
Miss you Rusty Berings

Magnolia

• Rep: 462
  • She/They
« Reply #2074 on: July 18, 2023, 02:02:01 PM »
The Beatles are good but the Kinks are better

I'll die on this hill
what quality posts do you have under your umbrella son of a bitch

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #2075 on: July 18, 2023, 02:36:30 PM »
Overrated isn’t what about what you like, it’s about how important people think they were. I personally prefer to listen to the Kinks and the Stones, but the Beatles and The Beach Boys were monumental to the creation of modern pop. There’s before them and after them- pop sounded totally different. This may be a white person opinion but it’s also true.

PalaceButtPlug

• Rep: -359
« Reply #2076 on: July 18, 2023, 02:46:11 PM »
I thought this was the "2023" unpopular opinion thread, not 1968.

No one will want to remember any of those bands in 20 years.

Might as well be hyping up Bing Crosby and Billie Holliday.

Do y'all listen to anything from 2023? or do we collectively all know it sucks?

lurkluke

• Rep: 195
« Reply #2077 on: July 18, 2023, 02:49:25 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Pineapple belongs on pizza.
[close]
People who don’t like pineapple on pizza hate fun
[close]

Pineapple, ricotta, and ham are an undefeated combo.

Like using the Nowitzki, Finley, and Nash Mavericks lineup in NBA Street vol. 2.

yo wtf

ricotta has no place in that combo you monster.  First opinion in this thread to make me mad.

I can get behind that Mavs lineup on Steet though. It's been a minute since I played it but I think I used to go the Sixers. All time best game.

Also if in the 90s, 70s were "oldies" then songs from the 2000s are oldies now.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1351
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #2078 on: July 18, 2023, 02:56:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Im hip hop head, but I prefer Hole over Nirvana, maybe cause I assiciated it so much with Appleyard and others skatevideos.

But about Beatles I think they have no sauce, just easy chorus and polished image.
I was in a used record store on St Mark's Place in the early 90s and 2 DJs came in and pulled out Rubber Soul and put the record on the store turntable. They played a break from The Word and it was about as funky as anything I had heard.

The Kinks are criminally underrated and the backstory is hard to believe. They toured the US during the British Invasion and there was some flap with US music unions so they were banned from playing here. The US arm of the label had no incentive to promote them since they couldn't tour here so their music was kinda slept on, on purpose.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

pizzafliptofakie

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #2079 on: July 18, 2023, 02:56:28 PM »
omfg this website is a cultural desert.

manysnakes

« Reply #2080 on: July 18, 2023, 02:57:44 PM »
The Beatles are as good as everyone says they are. Phenomenal, genre-bending, game changing band. There isn't enough praise for how brightly they shined for such a brief time. Each member was brilliant and they changed popular music overnight in a way which will never again be replicated.

Christmas Complete

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 816
  • You better shut up, Don
« Reply #2081 on: July 18, 2023, 03:14:31 PM »
The Beatles are as good as everyone says they are. Phenomenal, genre-bending, game changing band. There isn't enough praise for how brightly they shined for such a brief time. Each member was brilliant and they changed popular music overnight in a way which will never again be replicated.

Exactly. I can't remember the last time I listened to a Beatles song on purpose, and I prefer to listen to the Kinks by a mile, but the people that say The Beatles suck are the same type of people that say the Gonz wasn't that great. Like, motherfucker, you realize that he (along with Natas to be fair) basically created this style of skating that you are so obsessed with, right?
Andy Anderson, I cannot sanction your buffoonery.

pizzafliptofakie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
« Reply #2082 on: July 18, 2023, 03:22:41 PM »
I just can't imagine having the position of "this groundbreaking, universally influential artist is overrated because they don't resonate with me, specifically". Like, what a fucking stupid way to think about art lol. I don't even listen to the Beatles that much, but jeeeez. 

anyway, I think Chris Wimer's fs flip melon over Rincon was better than Dylan's regular fs flip solely because the former was an NBD.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -74
« Reply #2083 on: July 18, 2023, 03:26:43 PM »

You best put some fuckin' respect on Billie Holiday's name, little boy.

BurgerCop

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -74
« Reply #2084 on: July 18, 2023, 03:30:44 PM »
I just can't imagine having the position of "this groundbreaking, universally influential artist is overrated because they don't resonate with me, specifically". Like, what a fucking stupid way to think about art lol. I don't even listen to the Beatles that much, but jeeeez. 

For real though. There are plenty of bands/musicians out there that I don't particularly like but I'd never say they "suck" or they're "overrated".
I'm not a big fan of Tom Waits, I can't help it, he just doesn't do it for me, but I'd never in a million fuckin' years say he sucks.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -224
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2085 on: July 18, 2023, 03:33:13 PM »

Taylor Swift, Black Thought, and Lil Uzi all dropped bangers this year. PA stand up.

City and Colour dropped a good one too.
2022 Slap Fantasy Football Champion

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2086 on: July 18, 2023, 03:34:42 PM »
Real videos have lately been using some terrible music.

I liked Pat Praman’s song. Still nowhere near as bad as Cairo’s Modest Mouse song from Real to Reel.

PatrickSkateman

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2087 on: July 18, 2023, 03:38:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Pineapple belongs on pizza.
[close]
People who don’t like pineapple on pizza hate fun
[close]

Pineapple, ricotta, and ham are an undefeated combo.

Like using the Nowitzki, Finley, and Nash Mavericks lineup in NBA Street vol. 2.
[close]

yo wtf

ricotta has no place in that combo you monster.  First opinion in this thread to make me mad.

I can get behind that Mavs lineup on Steet though. It's been a minute since I played it but I think I used to go the Sixers. All time best game.

Also if in the 90s, 70s were "oldies" then songs from the 2000s are oldies now.

Don’t knock it til you try it. The ricotta compliments the ham and pineapple nicely.

I’d always run the Mavs or the Warriors with Agent 0, J-Rich, and Larry Hughes.

I never used the Sixers even though they’re my hometown team. Eric Snow, George Lynch, and Mutombo didn’t excite me as AI complements.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #2088 on: July 18, 2023, 03:40:35 PM »
Expand Quote
Real videos have lately been using some terrible music.
[close]

I liked Pat Praman’s song. Still nowhere near as bad as Cairo’s Modest Mouse song from Real to Reel.
I wasn’t a fan but I’ll admit it’s better than the awful songs Mason and Tanner most recently skated to.

jgonzalez

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 784
  • no not never. looser.
    • JGonz4ever avatar image
« Reply #2089 on: July 18, 2023, 04:13:09 PM »
The Beatles are good but the Kinks are better

I'll die on this hill

nothing's been the since same

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #2090 on: July 18, 2023, 07:55:46 PM »
I don’t like rockridge

cky enthusiast

« Reply #2091 on: July 18, 2023, 07:59:27 PM »

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 174
« Reply #2092 on: July 18, 2023, 08:06:58 PM »

This, this really nails it.

Entire college courses are based around “Tomorrow Never Knows”, and the mystique around its recording achievement. They did thus as kids, with no prior reference points. It can’t be stated enough just how astounding this is.

Also, Kinks are a solid respectable second to the Beatles, and the Stones aren’t even close. The Stones wanted to be anything other than what they are, and American Blues was antiquated in comparison to the sonic expansion of true psychedelia.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 285
« Reply #2093 on: July 18, 2023, 08:12:12 PM »
Expand Quote
Billy/James/Darcy/Matt > Kurt/Kris/Dave/(Pat)
[close]

I'm kinda with this. If Corgan had died right after Siamese Dream came out or maybe even Mellon Collie, they'd be remembered as absolute titans. Instead they did a buncha bad albums and Billy became a bitter old nut job

hard to imagine Nirvana's sound lasting for another album or two, they'd kinda exhausted their formula

billy corgan also dated jessica simpson and tila tequila within like 2 years, which is a run only outdone by adam duritz in weirdness. kurt cobain could never

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2094 on: July 18, 2023, 08:19:07 PM »
Billy Corgan occupies an odd space for me. Conspiracy kook, but also loves wrestling and is an excellent story teller. Fantastic guitar player, but overstayed his artistic welcome musically speaking.

He’s hard to classify, and it’s easy to say where exactly he should have stopped.

His best is great, and anything lesser is mid. I prefer him to Kurt/Nirvana, but he’s another case of outliving his own mystique.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

manysnakes

« Reply #2095 on: July 18, 2023, 08:48:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Entire college courses are based around “Tomorrow Never Knows”, and the mystique around its recording achievement. They did thus as kids, with no prior reference points. It can’t be stated enough just how astounding this is.

Also, Kinks are a solid respectable second to the Beatles, and the Stones aren’t even close. The Stones wanted to be anything other than what they are, and American Blues was antiquated in comparison to the sonic expansion of true psychedelia.

Basically every now-standard method of recording was invented in order to document what they were trying to capture on “Tomorrow Never Knows”.

I love the Stones, and I see no need to compare them to the Beatles or the Kinks. They’re only lumped together because of “British Invasion” marketing, but their music stands on its own as one of the great rock and roll bands of all time. They are a much more of a singles band and they put out a tremendous volume of recordings, and lord knows that they’ve overstayed their welcome, but they were recording bangers for decades, right up to “Steel Wheels”.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 254
« Reply #2096 on: July 18, 2023, 08:51:13 PM »
I don’t like rockridge

Are you Hedley Lamarr?

manysnakes

« Reply #2097 on: July 18, 2023, 08:53:20 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
hard to imagine Nirvana's sound lasting for another album or two, they'd kinda exhausted their formula

Agreed, Nirvana was completely out of steam by the time Kurt died and I think this was probably a part of his spiral.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 09:06:23 PM by manysnakes »

Mongo Lloyd

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2098 on: July 18, 2023, 09:02:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Basically every now-standard method of recording was invented in order to document what they were trying to capture on “Tomorrow Never Knows”.

I love the Stones, and I see no need to compare them to the Beatles or the Kinks. They’re only lumped together because of “British Invasion” marketing, but their music stands on its own as one of the great rock and roll bands of all time. They are a much more of a singles band and they put out a tremendous volume of recordings, and lord knows that they’ve overstayed their welcome, but they were recording bangers for decades, right up to “Steel Wheels”.

I appreciate the Stones for what they did, and what they left us with, but to me to embrace your place of origin is powerful. The Kinks deserve more, where as the Stones wanted to be anything but what they were.

The Kinks were just so undeniably of their local. Something is incredibly precious about that.
Do you get deja vu, huh?

lurkluke

• Rep: 195
« Reply #2099 on: July 18, 2023, 09:07:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Agreed completely. Nirvana was completely out of steam by the time Kurt died and I think this was probably a part of his spiral.

I'm not a big nirvana fan but in the two years after Nevermind they put out Unplugged and In Utero.

A career that was three studio album-run that had as much impact as the beatles did, and maybe the best live album of all time? It's not like their last album was an electro-prog experimental mess or anything