Author Topic: 2023 unpopular opinion thread  (Read 176731 times)

JM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • sup dog
Re: 2023 unpopular opinion thread
« Reply #3030 on: December 04, 2023, 11:55:23 PM »
Paul Schmitt talks in too many circles for PS stix boards to not even be that good. Dude reminds me of Neil De-Grasse Tyson.
Let me me ask you this: would you rather have a pockeknife with two blades or one?

There you go.
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

manysnakes

« Reply #3031 on: December 05, 2023, 07:43:35 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I hate virtually all tagging, graffiti, "throw-ups", whatever. The world is a demonstrably uglier place thanks to the incredibly selfish behavior of countless untalented, unoriginal and completely uncreative hacks who are aping a 50-year-old style to which they have absolutely no social or cultural connection.

Maybe ~1% of graffiti actually contributes something to the world. Even the "creative" pieces - ones which proport to say something - are actually like a mural of Marge Simpson smoking a joint, or a painting of Putin with vampire fangs. Dogshit. Keep that crap in your sketchbooks.
[close]

this is a man employed to fix flat tires posting on a rolling wood trickboard website concerned a different subculture isn't "contributing". extremely loser worldview
[close]

I never said anything about contributing; I said it made the world uglier. And that hasn't been my job for half a decade.

FWIW, if you've ever offered any personal details about yourself, I promise that you're too inconsequential to commit them to memory.
[close]

i bolded where you mentioned it; mr. finnegans tri-tune is two days behind schedule on the service computer

So the joke here is "you used to have this job and you should be embarrassed about it"?

addie pray

• Rep: -527
  • u a whole goofy
« Reply #3032 on: December 05, 2023, 07:50:04 AM »
u the mf joke here

Dojsha Abuser

• Rep: -26
« Reply #3033 on: December 05, 2023, 07:52:02 AM »
I know I’m a couple pages late but grinds and slides to fakie are acceptable if it’s a setup for the next trick. Crook to fakie -> fakie flip -> fakie back tail is way better than crook to fakie -> revert -> tre flop -> another crook to fakie

Fuck crook to fakie.
Matter of fact, lets leave them to the year 2023. 2024, not a single crook to fakie is to be made.

Paperclip20

• Rep: 138
  • Please send symmetrical board information
« Reply #3034 on: December 05, 2023, 08:10:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Paul Schmitt talks in too many circles for PS stix boards to not even be that good. Dude reminds me of Neil De-Grasse Tyson.
[close]
Let me me ask you this: would you rather have a pockeknife with two blades or one?

There you go.

Most pocket knifes have one blade though lol unless you're making his swiss army knife reference.

But regardless I would easily choose a symmetrical board if I had the choice consistently.

Eric Dolphy

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 531
« Reply #3035 on: December 05, 2023, 03:11:04 PM »
I hate virtually all tagging, graffiti, "throw-ups", whatever. The world is a demonstrably uglier place thanks to the incredibly selfish behavior of countless untalented, unoriginal and completely uncreative hacks who are aping a 50-year-old style to which they have absolutely no social or cultural connection.

Maybe ~1% of graffiti actually contributes something to the world. Even the "creative" pieces - ones which proport to say something - are actually like a mural of Marge Simpson smoking a joint, or a painting of Putin with vampire fangs. Dogshit. Keep that crap in your sketchbooks.
Each to their own, but maybe take a closer look at the Think logo in your avatar
If you see offensive comments, just let it go into one eye and let it out of the other eye, no tears and not sadness or anger.

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #3036 on: December 05, 2023, 04:44:42 PM »
Expand Quote
I know I’m a couple pages late but grinds and slides to fakie are acceptable if it’s a setup for the next trick. Crook to fakie -> fakie flip -> fakie back tail is way better than crook to fakie -> revert -> tre flop -> another crook to fakie
[close]

Fuck crook to fakie.
Matter of fact, lets leave them to the year 2023. 2024, not a single crook to fakie is to be made.

I’m with it

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3037 on: December 05, 2023, 10:05:35 PM »
At least crook fakie is a trick……fakie crook on the other hand……

Allen.

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 748
    • Cigarettes for Cardio avatar image
« Reply #3038 on: December 05, 2023, 11:04:28 PM »
Expand Quote
every new skatepark should be nothing but big transition with pool coping, over vert, giant bowl corners. no more manny pads, flat bars, stairs, none of that shit. if you wanna skate street, then hit the damn streets. oh and every park should have a vert ramp… that is all 😆
and maybe a launch ramp…

[close]

I remember seeing some SKATE TWITTER dorks being upset about that riverside park in New York - a park which appears to have a pretty sizeable street section -  because they had the audacity to install a legit pool in a section of the park. The general consensus was that no one who matters (i.e. their peer group) actually skates that feature, but I see footage of that little ripper Jiro absolutely wrecking the pool so I think these guys might just actually suck at skating.

… there’s a pool there? Did not even notice it.
For someone w.no signature ur awfully hostile, & that is why I do this

scab

• Rep: 200
« Reply #3039 on: December 06, 2023, 01:45:00 AM »
This ongoing fixation with Tom Knox's kids is very perplexing to me. He's a 32 year old man with a job and a family, what's so exceptional about that?

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 304
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3040 on: December 06, 2023, 02:56:59 AM »
This ongoing fixation with Tom Knox's kids is very perplexing to me. He's a 32 year old man with a job and a family, what's so exceptional about that?

KILLEDTHEPOOL

• Rep: 17
  • I'm not a player I just throw up a lot.
« Reply #3041 on: December 06, 2023, 08:36:22 AM »

I remember seeing some SKATE TWITTER dorks being upset about that riverside park in New York - a park which appears to have a pretty sizeable street section -  because they had the audacity to install a legit pool in a section of the park. The general consensus was that no one who matters (i.e. their peer group) actually skates that feature, but I see footage of that little ripper Jiro absolutely wrecking the pool so I think these guys might just actually suck at skating.

yah that pool looks sick too. and yah, nobody can skate a bowl/pool, until they do. i started skating when i was 7, and i liked it, but just ok. i would skate like once a week, skate ledges, curbs, stairs whatever... i never thought it would be something i would do for the rest of my life. then they built a park in our town, with a surprisingly gnarly capsule/kidney/deep egg combi bowl. i saw these dudes blasting airs, gnarly grinds, ses slides, inverts, even just carving fast af, and i was like THAT is what i want to do. i fell in love with skateboarding, it consumed my life. if i didn't have access to that side of skateboarding, i might've quit. so that's why i have this opinion, i just want to see kids continue to be stoked on transition skating (and the environment/culture is way cooler to me, there's some hazing sure, but way more people stoking eachother out, and just having fun. no hate on street skating at all, i love all types of skating, but it seems like a lot of the younger kids are way more into trashing eachother, hating on people that don't do the "right" tricks, have all these rules about what's acceptable and what's not, i just can't get into that). i saw on the grindline documentary, they built one of their monster tranny parks, i forget which one, but all the local kids complained and said "nobody is gonna skate this, why tf did they build this..." then two years later they're all ripping the park and they're gnarly tranny skaters now :D
Ⓐ//Ⓔskate fast or d̶o̶n̶t̶ DIE!

addie pray

• u a whole goofy
« Reply #3042 on: December 06, 2023, 08:58:09 AM »
counterpoint: there's a gnarly transition grindline park in my town that everyone hates and no one skates. i think for every huge bowl that gets built + blossoms a scene there's 20 that sit dormant. where do you live?

KILLEDTHEPOOL

• Rep: 17
  • I'm not a player I just throw up a lot.
« Reply #3043 on: December 06, 2023, 09:30:36 AM »
yah that blows, and i'm not saying everyone will become a convert just because they have something big to skate, people like what they like. idk about those numbers though, usually anywhere there's a park with big bowls, there's people travelling to skate them. i live outside of asheville now, but im from champaign, il if you were wondering about the park i was referring to
Ⓐ//Ⓔskate fast or d̶o̶n̶t̶ DIE!

frontsideNECKTIE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 234
  • Precision Posture
« Reply #3044 on: December 07, 2023, 09:11:33 AM »
counterpoint: there's a gnarly transition grindline park in my town that everyone hates and no one skates. i think for every huge bowl that gets built + blossoms a scene there's 20 that sit dormant. where do you live?

As someone from the PNW, this is about all we got. so most of my affinity comes from location bias or stockholm syndrome.

Tho there's a comfortable medium when it comes to big tranny, imo. Grindline really overshot how tall they needed to build stuff in the mid-2000s
Wow sorry, didn't realise I was dealing with a sick cunt here

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1590
« Reply #3045 on: December 07, 2023, 10:26:25 AM »
No one gives a shit about any of this…..it’s 2023..all people want is a tennis court with some random stuff thrown in it.

Badandoldskater

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 31
« Reply #3046 on: December 07, 2023, 12:35:27 PM »
Hours is yours is a stupid brand name

Gab

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 272
« Reply #3047 on: December 07, 2023, 12:44:59 PM »
Pool skating doesn’t stoke me out unless it’s one of my friends, or I’m seeing an absolute ripper in person (exceptions for fs inverts).

ratking

• Rep: 5
« Reply #3048 on: December 07, 2023, 12:46:25 PM »
Hours is yours is a stupid brand name
Should've named it king

Verdugo

• Rep: 1
« Reply #3049 on: December 07, 2023, 03:14:56 PM »
“Long Live Good Skateboarding”, is such a corny thing to type.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 740
« Reply #3050 on: December 07, 2023, 03:25:11 PM »
the grass roots elements of the skateboard industry are on their last legs. Once sporting conglomerates and amazon bother to figure out and agree on a standard, the internet will snort up every significant trace of an alternative, and that'll be that.
I'm thinking the demise of deluxe brands will be the death knell and could happen within the next 5 years. The end of real skateboards will mark the end of real skateboards.

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 262
  • sup dog
« Reply #3051 on: December 07, 2023, 04:06:44 PM »
the grass roots elements of the skateboard industry are on their last legs. Once sporting conglomerates and amazon bother to figure out and agree on a standard, the internet will snort up every significant trace of an alternative, and that'll be that.
I'm thinking the demise of deluxe brands will be the death knell and could happen within the next 5 years. The end of real skateboards will mark the end of real skateboards.
Don’t you dare say that. I’m already having a shitty two days now. Now I gotta be worried about DLX going to shit. Pair that with post 40 skating for me, and I’ll just have to quit for good if I can’t get a decent skate deck anymore from an honest to goodness real skate shop.

Why you gotta hurt my heart like that, why?
I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3052 on: December 07, 2023, 04:13:44 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Don’t you dare say that. I’m already having a shitty two days now. Now I gotta be worried about DLX going to shit. Pair that with post 40 skating for me, and I’ll just have to quit for good if I can’t get a decent skate deck anymore from an honest to goodness real skate shop.

Why you gotta hurt my heart like that, why?

haha i apologize. As far as predicting things goes, I am dating  a greek girl, but my analysis is also reassuringly free of any actual research or expertise.

SatanicPanic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 209
« Reply #3053 on: December 07, 2023, 08:08:03 PM »
No one gives a shit about any of this…..it’s 2023..all people want is a tennis court with some random stuff thrown in it.
The weirder the better

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #3054 on: December 07, 2023, 08:20:03 PM »
That cover of quacky gurgling piss in the EMB fountain while a fakie flip at Wallenberg hides in the contents section makes me want to punch through someone

addie pray

• u a whole goofy
« Reply #3055 on: December 07, 2023, 08:21:31 PM »
you couldnt punch thru wax paper big dog

fakie nollie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #3056 on: December 07, 2023, 09:01:40 PM »

botefdunn

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3057 on: December 07, 2023, 10:49:17 PM »
you couldnt punch thru wax paper big dog

I don't think that's actually possible? Not trying to intrude on your guys' special thing, I just been rolling out a lot of dough lately and felt like I should speak up.

EdLawndale

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1111
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #3058 on: December 07, 2023, 11:29:53 PM »
Yeah, tbf, waxed paper is probably really difficult to punch through, like one of the strongest papers around...
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

lurkluke

• Rep: 195
« Reply #3059 on: December 08, 2023, 12:55:41 AM »
Pulled taught I reckon it'd be easy but it would need to be taught.

Let's get a gofundme going