Author Topic: books to read  (Read 437955 times)

Candied cigarettes

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 240
Re: books to read
« Reply #3750 on: February 20, 2023, 10:19:58 AM »
I bought this book called Interstate this weekend and love it so far. I met the author Jose Vadi this weekend and he’s a super nice guy and a great writer. Can’t recommend enough

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1423
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3751 on: March 29, 2023, 09:49:00 AM »
Cut out media consumption for the most part and have been on a reading frenzy the past 5 months or so. Haven’t read so much and such varied perspectives since i was a teen.

Id always most appreciated Marquez’s 100 years of solitude, reckoning it was his best. I recently reread Love in the Time of Cholera and very much enjoyed it. While not as overtly magical, its a book with greater depth of feeling.

Matthiessen’s the Snow Leopard is another recent re-read and it was nothing short of excellent in the depiction of his Himalayan trek. Trek of the heart, mind, and across the glaciers. Fantastic. This lead me to his Shadow Country, or novel about a deep south, Florida outlaw in the 50 or so years following the US civil war. It was a long read and the liberal, conversational use of the N word, while appropriate to the time/place/character, left me a little ragged. Extremely violent novel of historical fiction and an open display of frontier capitalism. Some knowledgeable of reconstruction and post-reconstruction south might bring some sort of “sense” to the reader. I do however feel that perhaps to a reader from a place that is not the US and with limited or no historical context, the novel could be a morass of depictions drawn in the memory of Conrad and his Heart of Darkness.

Strap in for Fowles The Magus. Delightfully unpredictable mystery

Jamil Ahmad wrote the Wandering Falcon in his early 70s. He was a Pakistani civil servant. This is a collection of shorts leading to one greater story. Feel is that of hearing tales in. Bedouin camp. Read it. Easy enough and vastly rewarding 

Gonna get back in here soon

Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #3752 on: March 29, 2023, 11:17:43 AM »
Recent books:

Psychopoltics by Byung Chul-Han -- kind of disappointing. I agreed with a lot of his assertations but felt it lacked depth and the author's understanding of big data and its implications sometimes felt misguided and outdated.

Everything I want to do is Illegal by Joel Saladin is a gem.

Libra by Delillo was great.

Next up is a collection of Mark Fishers blog posts and unpublished work which i expect to be hit or miss.

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 269
« Reply #3753 on: March 29, 2023, 01:08:43 PM »
We
by Yevgeny Zamyatin

It Can't Happen Here
by Sinclair Lewis
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 442
« Reply #3754 on: April 04, 2023, 07:12:50 AM »
The collected stories of John Cheever. Most every one  brings me at least close to tears, incredible.

Weeb_poser

• Rep: 0
« Reply #3755 on: April 04, 2023, 02:38:24 PM »
Underground by Haruki Murakami.

Haven't been able to put it down.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1077
« Reply #3756 on: April 04, 2023, 05:53:07 PM »
“High-Rise” by JG Ballard. Deeply disturbing but fascinating and great. I’ve never read Ballard before but now I get it.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

oyolar

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 385
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3757 on: April 05, 2023, 01:27:11 PM »
I've only read Crash but it definitely makes me want to read more of him.

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1077
« Reply #3758 on: April 05, 2023, 04:07:02 PM »

Man yeah, I saw "Crash" when I was 16 and it's up there with "Gummo" or "Come and See" in the category of "movies which scarred me permanently". To be honest I forgot that it was based on a Ballard novel - High-Rise explores very similar themes.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #3759 on: April 06, 2023, 11:41:45 AM »
Russel Banks "The Darling" is good 100 pages in. Liberia, white lady, radical underground, chimpanzees.

whaaaaat

• Rep: 47
« Reply #3760 on: April 06, 2023, 02:59:57 PM »
Cut out media consumption for the most part and have been on a reading frenzy the past 5 months or so. Haven’t read so much and such varied perspectives since i was a teen.

Id always most appreciated Marquez’s 100 years of solitude, reckoning it was his best. I recently reread Love in the Time of Cholera and very much enjoyed it. While not as overtly magical, its a book with greater depth of feeling.

Matthiessen’s the Snow Leopard is another recent re-read and it was nothing short of excellent in the depiction of his Himalayan trek. Trek of the heart, mind, and across the glaciers. Fantastic. This lead me to his Shadow Country, or novel about a deep south, Florida outlaw in the 50 or so years following the US civil war. It was a long read and the liberal, conversational use of the N word, while appropriate to the time/place/character, left me a little ragged. Extremely violent novel of historical fiction and an open display of frontier capitalism. Some knowledgeable of reconstruction and post-reconstruction south might bring some sort of “sense” to the reader. I do however feel that perhaps to a reader from a place that is not the US and with limited or no historical context, the novel could be a morass of depictions drawn in the memory of Conrad and his Heart of Darkness.

Jamil Ahmad wrote the Wandering Falcon in his early 70s. He was a Pakistani civil servant. This is a collection of shorts leading to one greater story. Feel is that of hearing tales in. Bedouin camp. Read it. Easy enough and vastly rewarding 

Matthiesson is amazing, Snow Leopard is one of my all-time favs.

Another all-time fav to share here is Jesus' Son by Denis Johnson. Not sure if it's this thread or not, but it's a book I imagine skateboarders would enjoy. It's a world a lot of us do/did operate in.

I also just read George Saunders newest short story collection, Liberation Day. He truly is the master of that form. Also recommend his last novel, Lincoln in the Bardo - very unique composition.

And last call out is Neal Stephenson. Have been making my way through his Quicksilver trilogy. He's just a genius on so many levels. His books are very impressive, yet extremly fun to read.

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
« Reply #3761 on: April 06, 2023, 03:23:28 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Matthiesson is amazing, Snow Leopard is one of my all-time favs.

Another all-time fav to share here is Jesus' Son by Denis Johnson. Not sure if it's this thread or not, but it's a book I imagine skateboarders would enjoy. It's a world a lot of us do/did operate in.

I also just read George Saunders newest short story collection, Liberation Day. He truly is the master of that form. Also recommend his last novel, Lincoln in the Bardo - very unique composition.

And last call out is Neal Stephenson. Have been making my way through his Quicksilver trilogy. He's just a genius on so many levels. His books are very impressive, yet extremly fun to read.

If you like Saunders, DEFINITELY read his book about writing/Russian short stories.   Cover is purple, forget title.   

newguy

« Reply #3762 on: April 07, 2023, 07:14:24 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Man yeah, I saw "Crash" when I was 16 and it's up there with "Gummo" or "Come and See" in the category of "movies which scarred me permanently". To be honest I forgot that it was based on a Ballard novel - High-Rise explores very similar themes.

Gummo and eraserhead are one time watches, you spend the rest of your life trying to forget them.

Anyways finally finished Settlers and started reading Trans Liberation: Beyond Pink and Blue, also want to start How to Blow Up a Pipeline.

Ricky Vaughn

• Rep: 269
« Reply #3763 on: April 14, 2023, 06:54:54 AM »
-Brave New World by Aldous Huxley

-Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

-Animal Farm by George Orwell
Tell the world to eat my dick
I’m a prick motherfucker
Life Hell Tough shit
I’m the bic motherfucker

IUTSM

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3764 on: April 14, 2023, 05:44:02 PM »
Started Balzac for the first time. Droll Stories. Pretty hilarious and lewd. great takes on the wealthy and church.

RoaryMcTwang

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 442
« Reply #3765 on: April 16, 2023, 12:01:35 AM »
inspired by the Ballard talk on here I've just finished Concrete Island. Wanted to read it ever since I first heard about the bizarre premise years ago. It was quite different from what I thought it would be.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3766 on: April 18, 2023, 04:44:47 PM »
David Grann (Killers of the Flower Moon, Lost City of Z) just had a new one come out today called The Wager.    Based on his previous work, I’d recommend it

turbo 2.0

« Reply #3767 on: April 18, 2023, 05:57:32 PM »
Just reread No Country For Old Men and have been reading a bunch of Stephen King anthologies as a guilty pleasure, some Raymond Chandler too. Currently I’m trying to get through Gravity’s Rainbow by Thomas Pynchon. It’s not a slog it’s just a lot.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3768 on: April 18, 2023, 06:50:17 PM »
I dunno - I’ve tried Gravity’s Rainbow and Against the Day and both felt punishing to try and follow.   Maybe his shorter works would work better for me. 

turbo 2.0

« Reply #3769 on: April 18, 2023, 07:58:09 PM »
I dunno - I’ve tried Gravity’s Rainbow and Against the Day and both felt punishing to try and follow.   Maybe his shorter works would work better for me.

It’s simultaneously punishing and rewarding, but I one hundred percent can’t argue with anyone for wanting to choose something shorter because like I said, it is a lot.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3770 on: April 18, 2023, 08:00:25 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

It’s simultaneously punishing and rewarding, but I one hundred percent can’t argue with anyone for wanting to choose something shorter because like I said, it is a lot.

I love me a long book, but I’m guessing Lot 49 might reign in some of the stuff that makes it tough for me to focus.   I see that muted trumpet tattoo on a few people who I know can’t handle complicated books hah

Infinite Jest was a fine read, but I haaated having the endnotes because it just made it a miserable reading experience to flip back and forth so much.   I was investigating if the ebook versions made it easier with like clickable links or even if there was a website or PDF I could have open next to me.   

turbo 2.0

« Reply #3771 on: April 18, 2023, 08:05:00 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I love me a long book, but I’m guessing Lot 49 might reign in some of the stuff that makes it tough for me to focus.   I see that muted trumpet tattoo on a few people who I know can’t handle complicated books hah

Anything to seem cool. I know too many people in various scenes who I know have never watched a movie/read a book but still have a tattoo pertaining to it to seem in the know.

Also super fun fact I didn’t know for the longest, although it resembles a trumpet, it’s actually a post horn, a valveless instrument that - as the name suggests- used to be used to herald the arrival of the postman. Personally I think we should bring it back

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3772 on: April 18, 2023, 08:14:24 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Anything to seem cool. I know too many people in various scenes who I know have never watched a movie/read a book but still have a tattoo pertaining to it to seem in the know.

Also super fun fact I didn’t know for the longest, although it resembles a trumpet, it’s actually a post horn, a valveless instrument that - as the name suggests- used to be used to herald the arrival of the postman. Personally I think we should bring it back

The biggest literary tattoo I’ve ever seen was someone got the gravestone from the end of Slaughterhouse Five giant on their forearm

turbo 2.0

« Reply #3773 on: April 18, 2023, 08:28:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

The biggest literary tattoo I’ve ever seen was someone got the gravestone from the end of Slaughterhouse Five giant on their forearm

I love slaughterhouse five as much as the next guy but Jesus that person sounds insufferable

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3774 on: April 18, 2023, 08:34:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I love slaughterhouse five as much as the next guy but Jesus that person sounds insufferable

Do not remember the gender (but probably a guy).  I believe it was their first tattoo as well and it was one of my co-workers at the coffee shop in Borders Books and Music because we don’t really have independent book stores in South Orange County, but we can have that energy

turbo 2.0

« Reply #3775 on: April 18, 2023, 09:10:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Do not remember the gender (but probably a guy).  I believe it was their first tattoo as well and it was one of my co-workers at the coffee shop in Borders Books and Music because we don’t really have independent book stores in South Orange County, but we can have that energy

Holy shit I haven’t been in a borders in forever. Also that somehow checks out perfectly.

igrindtwinkies

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 402
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #3776 on: April 18, 2023, 09:32:50 PM »
I bought the Monster Kody book 2 weeks ago, and am going to start on it this weekend while I"m out of town.  I didn't think anyone would know what I'm talking about, but I've had a handful of people tell me they've read it and that it's good.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #3777 on: April 18, 2023, 11:02:32 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Holy shit I haven’t been in a borders in forever. Also that somehow checks out perfectly.

Yeah this like 2002ish.   I don’t think they exist anymore.   But it was rad working there because you could order books and music and time it for the employee appreciate sale

Jagr

• Rep: 116
« Reply #3778 on: April 19, 2023, 09:49:38 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I've met an mfer with at least a dozen of the drawings from Breakfast of Champions tattooed on his arms.

323-BALM

• Rep: 46
« Reply #3779 on: April 19, 2023, 10:23:15 AM »

i love Neal Stephenson, and thank you for reminding me his stuff is fun...any time I read about him it's critics complaining he doesn't know how to finish his stories, and I'm like oh holy shit that's true...but god dammit I enjoy everything he's written. that quicksilver trilogy was fun when I was reading it, but I can't remember a single plot point...I think I'm a N.Stephenson completist because of his style and subjects, not so much for the plots? I really loved the MMPORG-themed one and the one with the space math monks, those were great action movies...

finally tried China Mieville and that dude is completely my shit. Ian McDonald too. Throw some majick in my hopeful near-future sci-fi and slide some steampunk in there too. Need more!

and yes, I'm aware this is fully on the nose for a Neal Stephenson message board post. ego death bro let it all go...I get hyped listening to metallica too

You've clearly never smelled a cauliflower fart.