Author Topic: Wtf is up with the nine club  (Read 363668 times)

kookdusoleil

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 49
  • Have fun out there
Re: Wtf is up with the nine club
« Reply #2490 on: February 03, 2024, 06:58:08 PM »
Expand Quote
I wonder if there’s anyone else out there who would say Nine Club is their favorite show and really mean it. I can’t picture it.
[close]

Oh for sure there is. People probably play reruns of old nine clubs for background noise and to get that sense of familiarity and security. It’s not actually that far fetched if you think about it, it’s a skateboarding podcast that’s very “good vibes only” and requires almost no bandwidth to process. Reality is fuckin scary and unpredictable and some people just need some kind of life raft to hold onto. Same reason people play the same old sitcoms all the time or tune into some brainless talk show everyday. The Ol buddies are always there to ease your existential dread.

Oh totally. Agreed. I’ll even put it on in the background sometimes. I want to hear Jason Lee interrupt Dune for 3 hours as much as the next guy. But favorite show? Like number one, top of the pile, favorite thing to watch? I don’t want to yuck anyone’s yum but it’s just hard for me to imagine.

Ankle_Lift

• Rep: 80
« Reply #2491 on: February 03, 2024, 08:13:42 PM »
If you feel like your life doesn't have any meaning, I suppose you'd need to fill it with something.

Nine Club trinkets will fill the void of nothingness inside of you.... I guess.

Ty Evans Lightman

• Rep: -36
« Reply #2492 on: February 04, 2024, 12:19:18 AM »
I like the Nine Club.
It hasn't always been easy but overall it's easy listening.
I called Crob out for his YT obsession on here and got an almost instant response from the man himself, so besides over-reacting to criticism, they are listening/lurking.
It's fine to criticise the Nine Club but at the same time you can't please everyone, and it seems like some of the haters will just hate regardless.
I don't know how long it's been going but I understand a lot of people can't be bothered to wait over five years for a product to finally get streamlined.
There are a couple of instances where I listen, on commutes and when I was unemployed with time to waste.
I can imagine it might serve well as background noise for a skateshop.

Keep in mind, the real world and news swamp has been a very depressing place for the last decade at least, so something light humoured like a 5-0/switch crook debate or Crob accidentally setting fire to an Emerica box goes a long way.

I'm currently scratching my head at how they are going to manage the SOTY board/debate they have going. You'd think with his tech know-how, Crob would hook up a digital display or something.

citycity

• Rep: -103
« Reply #2493 on: February 04, 2024, 07:06:13 AM »
Yo be nice. Who cares.

fernando the skater

• Rep: 120
« Reply #2494 on: February 04, 2024, 08:20:43 AM »
I can't see why you're all getting upset about someone buying 4 drinks containers and a cheap watch. You get people who spend thousands on a single deck.

And Ron Allen is up this week

JoseCansnake0

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: -32
« Reply #2495 on: February 04, 2024, 09:45:35 AM »
I'm sure there is another thread discussing this, but hearing Gary talk about "Thrashers" skater of the year vs just skater of the year kinda blew my mind. I never really thought about it like that. Like ever. Now it makes sense.

rickdizzo

• Rep: 15
  • I'M THE WHITE LIAM NEESON
« Reply #2496 on: February 04, 2024, 11:45:42 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I wonder if there’s anyone else out there who would say Nine Club is their favorite show and really mean it. I can’t picture it.
[close]

Oh for sure there is. People probably play reruns of old nine clubs for background noise and to get that sense of familiarity and security. It’s not actually that far fetched if you think about it, it’s a skateboarding podcast that’s very “good vibes only” and requires almost no bandwidth to process. Reality is fuckin scary and unpredictable and some people just need some kind of life raft to hold onto. Same reason people play the same old sitcoms all the time or tune into some brainless talk show everyday. The Ol buddies are always there to ease your existential dread.
[close]

Oh totally. Agreed. I’ll even put it on in the background sometimes. I want to hear Jason Lee interrupt Dune for 3 hours as much as the next guy. But favorite show? Like number one, top of the pile, favorite thing to watch? I don’t want to yuck anyone’s yum but it’s just hard for me to imagine.

would love to hear jason lee’s take on the house of atreides

Watson

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 2272
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2497 on: February 04, 2024, 01:25:57 PM »
Skateboarding needs the nine club imo.

U WOT M8?

skrub

• Rep: -3
« Reply #2498 on: February 05, 2024, 06:55:38 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

IDK abut favorite but it is easy listening. Not so much the experience or the live stuff but the talk-to-skateboard-industry-people episodes are really interesting to me. I did a roadtrip once and binged 30 hours of it.

I have enough bad vibes in my life, so something that is just upbeat is nice. I even have a mug a family member gave me as a gift.

It did get a little deep in youtube algorithm nonsense for a while and I miss Roger's weird energy on camera (I like Jeron though too), but overall it is a force for good in the universe.

grandslam

• Rep: 47
« Reply #2499 on: February 05, 2024, 07:39:07 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I've said all I could possibly ever want to say about this. Believe what you will.
[close]

*wife tucks him in.*
“Echo play episode 100 of the nine club with Chris Roberts”
*kisses framed picture of Chris, turns on orange nightlight (orange Pantone 012c), blows out steezus candle*
“Yeah…I told em”
*drifts to sleep in blissful ingnorance*

[close]
[close]

Kombuch-A-Holic

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 130
« Reply #2500 on: February 05, 2024, 09:02:13 AM »
The nerve Neen, talking about his skating and footage dropping at the 36:00 minute mark, when he had so few tricks in BHADW2. I'm a bit sleep deprived so I may have listened to that wrong (twice).

sharkin

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 482
« Reply #2501 on: February 05, 2024, 09:15:48 AM »
I like the Nine Club.
It hasn't always been easy but overall it's easy listening.
I called Crob out for his YT obsession on here and got an almost instant response from the man himself, so besides over-reacting to criticism, they are listening/lurking.
It's fine to criticise the Nine Club but at the same time you can't please everyone, and it seems like some of the haters will just hate regardless.
I don't know how long it's been going but I understand a lot of people can't be bothered to wait over five years for a product to finally get streamlined.
There are a couple of instances where I listen, on commutes and when I was unemployed with time to waste.
I can imagine it might serve well as background noise for a skateshop.

Keep in mind, the real world and news swamp has been a very depressing place for the last decade at least, so something light humoured like a 5-0/switch crook debate or Crob accidentally setting fire to an Emerica box goes a long way.

I'm currently scratching my head at how they are going to manage the SOTY board/debate they have going. You'd think with his tech know-how, Crob would hook up a digital display or something.

Did Crob DM you like a man?

manuduncan

• Rep: 28
« Reply #2502 on: February 05, 2024, 10:02:36 AM »
The other day when Jeron was going on for a while about whether Jamie Foy did a fakie 5-0 or a fakie overcrooks was the best skateboard related video I've seen in a long time.  Him and Kelly talked about it for what felt like over an hour easy.  Maybe longer.  It was great theatre.  Thank you Nine Club.

that convo was batshit lol it went from interesting to ok enough already to hilarious to i cant believe theyve been talking about it this long to am i losing my mind theyre talking in circles back to hilarious again

it was like sideshow bob stepping on the rakes level 

CurbyPuckit

• Rep: -41
« Reply #2503 on: February 05, 2024, 11:19:46 AM »
Expand Quote
The other day when Jeron was going on for a while about whether Jamie Foy did a fakie 5-0 or a fakie overcrooks was the best skateboard related video I've seen in a long time.  Him and Kelly talked about it for what felt like over an hour easy.  Maybe longer.  It was great theatre.  Thank you Nine Club.
[close]

that convo was batshit lol it went from interesting to ok enough already to hilarious to i cant believe theyve been talking about it this long to am i losing my mind theyre talking in circles back to hilarious again

these were my emotions exactly.  Whenever I’m in the kitchen I’ll chip away at whatever podcast I’ve been listening to.  Somehow I managed to start that episode of Nine Club Live right as they began that conversation, and finished doing some dishes, cooking a pretty mean huevos rancheros, and finished eating it as they were finally wrapping up the conversation. 

Then Kelly kept bringing it up after the fact while they were watching videos, and you could just see it in Jeron’s eyes.  The rage.  This reminds me of how Kelly and Eldy’s feud began - Kelly senses he gets on someone’s nerves and then keeps poking at it and and smiling and laughing while saying “ It’s all good dude!  It’s all good!”.  Eventually thats going to drive your friends fucking insane.

Dad Board

« Reply #2504 on: February 05, 2024, 11:22:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
these were my emotions exactly.  Whenever I’m in the kitchen I’ll chip away at whatever podcast I’ve been listening to.  Somehow I managed to start that episode of Nine Club Live right as they began that conversation, and finished doing some dishes, cooking a pretty mean huevos rancheros, and finished eating it as they were finally wrapping up the conversation. 

Then Kelly kept bringing it up after the fact while they were watching videos, and you could just see it in Jeron’s eyes.  The rage.  This reminds me of how Kelly and Eldy’s feud began - Kelly senses he gets on someone’s nerves and then keeps poking at it and and smiling and laughing while saying “ It’s all good dude!  It’s all good!”.  Eventually thats going to drive your friends fucking insane.

What episode was this? I need to hear now

CurbyPuckit

« Reply #2505 on: February 05, 2024, 11:27:17 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

nine club live episode #36.
Might as well start it at like the 56:00 minute mark because then you can hear Chris say he could still nosegrind that giant rainbow ledge in Manhattan. 

He actually means it too… it’s fucked up.

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2506 on: February 05, 2024, 12:18:51 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

Dope haul g
[close]

This dude has a wife? Who puts up with this level of obsession?  Like if I dragged my girl to some random skaters I’ve given thousands of dollars to….. welll shit I doubt she’d stuck around past the whole giving random former skaters thousands dollars.
[close]
well the guy clearly has access to a lot of money

Now it makes sense. I have heard of this guy from the show and wondered what he did but he's a coder/software engineer. With that job, he can have a lot of access to money.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

citycity

« Reply #2507 on: February 05, 2024, 12:24:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]
Might as well start it at like the 56:00 minute mark because then you can hear Chris say he could still nosegrind that giant rainbow ledge in Manhattan. 

Still such a great username KP. and that ledge in Columbus circle is so fucked up. Chris def bunted that so so hard.

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -495
« Reply #2508 on: February 05, 2024, 12:32:48 PM »
I can't see why you're all getting upset about someone buying 4 drinks containers and a cheap watch. You get people who spend thousands on a single deck.

And Ron Allen is up this week

I was more talking about the fact he donates a shit ton of cash on those live episodes each weeks. That whole parasocial donation vibe just is odd coming a grown man with like a career and family. Fuck it whatever makes you happy tho I don’t understand the future at all.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Doosh215

• Rep: 61
« Reply #2509 on: February 05, 2024, 02:20:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Still such a great username KP. and that ledge in Columbus circle is so fucked up. Chris def bunted that so so hard.

Yeah no shot Chris. Last weekend I watched a guy that was a very good skateboarder try to back 50-50 that for a little while. He didn't even come close to getting to the top of it.

citycity

« Reply #2510 on: February 05, 2024, 02:29:29 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah no shot Chris. Last weekend I watched a guy that was a very good skateboarder try to back 50-50 that for a little while. He didn't even come close to getting to the top of it.

Yah that spot is no joke. The FS Nose is insane.

lurkluke

• Rep: 189
« Reply #2511 on: February 05, 2024, 02:38:59 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I was about to ask for a pic but I realised it's the Foy noseslide... and jfc crob come on.

BartHarleyJarvis

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1156
  • What, me worry?
« Reply #2512 on: February 05, 2024, 02:44:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

I was about to ask for a pic but I realised it's the Foy noseslide... and jfc crob come on.

Let’s get VK420 on the case, he’ll make that shit light work…

CurbyPuckit

« Reply #2513 on: February 05, 2024, 03:13:06 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

thanks budday.  That ledge is over head height at its peak and Chris said “I’ll just wax the shit out of it”. I would pay ryan kulla money just to see Chris try that.  I’m all for those wild imaginary bunts, though. 
(As a Nine Club fan, I also think Ryan kulla has every right to pay however much money to whatever podcast he likes.)

texastoast

• Rep: 36
« Reply #2514 on: February 05, 2024, 03:32:28 PM »
even though i poked fun at rkulla at the end of the day he’s making money and supporting something he likes. yeah sure nineclub can be a bit kooky from time to time but nineclub is better then no nineclub

just never have gary vee on the show ever again

radcunt

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 499
    • FARTPISS DOGCUM avatar image
« Reply #2515 on: February 05, 2024, 03:37:03 PM »
Ron Allen!!  It’s gonna be 4 hours of turbo mode. Strap in.

CurbyPuckit

« Reply #2516 on: February 05, 2024, 04:34:56 PM »
even though i poked fun at rkulla at the end of the day he’s making money and supporting something he likes. yeah sure nineclub can be a bit kooky from time to time but nineclub is better then no nineclub

and honestly without the money that Kulla gives the nine club, there probably would be no nine club

JM

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 248
  • sup dog
« Reply #2517 on: February 05, 2024, 04:43:56 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

IDK abut favorite but it is easy listening. Not so much the experience or the live stuff but the talk-to-skateboard-industry-people episodes are really interesting to me. I did a roadtrip once and binged 30 hours of it.

I have enough bad vibes in my life, so something that is just upbeat is nice. I even have a mug a family member gave me as a gift.

It did get a little deep in youtube algorithm nonsense for a while and I miss Roger's weird energy on camera (I like Jeron though too), but overall it is a force for good in the universe.
I miss him in front of the camera saying more, too. But he stopped because it was weirding him out, and he also quit drinking (I think it was on some YouTube video interview/documentary. Can’t remember.)

I’m not letting my YouTube algorithm anywhere near that video.

urbneathme

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 282
« Reply #2518 on: February 05, 2024, 09:39:15 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]
and honestly without the money that Kulla gives the nine club, there probably would be no nine club

it is kinda hilarious that they have a pay pig keeping their business afloat. like imagine having fuck you money and giving it to chris rodgers and getting nothing in return. rich people seriously ain't shit

arrbee

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 438
« Reply #2519 on: February 06, 2024, 04:42:49 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]
[close]

it is kinda hilarious that they have a pay pig keeping their business afloat. like imagine having fuck you money and giving it to chris rodgers and getting nothing in return. rich people seriously ain't shit

Looks like he got 3 merch drops recently. Joke is on you he donated $4k last month and got $100 in free Nine Club merch.

Honestly I could live without it if push came to shove.
Quote from: DaveFuck
youre fucking FRIED if you think im gonna listen to dan corrigan talk about cariuma