Author Topic: the photography thread.  (Read 717106 times)

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 476
Re: the photography thread.
« Reply #5460 on: November 19, 2014, 07:03:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Never pulled film, but your results make me want to. Looks great, dude.

The M3 is great. I've had to put more money into it than I really wanted to, but it's worth it I guess. I got it for a steal and it had been recently CLAed so I've felt alright spending money on stuff like the 28mm, but I feel stupid paying $160 for a 28mm viewfinder. I need it, but I wish I could be putting that money towards something better.

I'm really looking forward to really taking it to the streets, like fast paced street photography, since I've been doing some pretty stationary portraits and landscapes. It's harder in the winter, since there's a lot less outdoor stuff going on, but Baltimore has a weird Christmas parade coming up so I think I'll really get to see how I like it then.
[close]
Really agree with that. It's stupid expensive. I really wanted to buy a wide angle for a moment but this made me refrain the impulse. Plus the M3 is so perfect for the 50mm that I don't think I'm going to buy any more lenses now.

Fongstarr : Either the 124G or a Rolleicord (not Flex, way more expensive) are very good medium format camera that shouldn't burn a hole too deep in your pocket. If you want to try medium format for really cheap, get a Lubitel 2, it's all plastic but the lens is pretty good; it's just that it's a pain in the ass to use, but it's good to learn the hard way. They are all TLR (Twin Lens Reflex) with 6x6 negatives.
Yeah, some of the prices of viewfinders are laughable. I saw some of the metal Leica viewfinders are priced around $550 and there is literally no way I'm paying anywhere near that much. I ended up getting a Voigtlander metal viewfinder for $160 and they usually go for $209.

Is that Yashica worth the price? Always wanted a medium format but just couldn't justify say a Hassleblad.
Definitely. While the Yashica is nowhere near the quality you can get with a Hassleblad, it's still one of the best TLRs on a budget. I spent around $225 for mine, but only because it was CLAed. You can easily find them around $100.

It's definitely a workhorse. It's never failed me once and I've been pleased with the quality for the most part.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 316
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5461 on: November 19, 2014, 07:08:11 PM »
Nice guys. Thanks for the input. I'll keep an eye out on craigslist if there are any steals.

Edit:I found a Yachica D on CL for a $100. I think I am opening up a can of worms here. What is the difference with this model to the other one? I see it's recommended but just not sure why from reading people's recommendations. I have only been shooting digital my whole life with a Canonnet as my film camera which is pretty easy. Just don't know jack about medium formats.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2014, 07:23:02 PM by Fongstarr. »
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin
sew your asshole closed, and keep feedin you
and feedin you, and feedin you, and feedin you!

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5462 on: November 19, 2014, 08:02:48 PM »
No problem!

The Yashica D and 124G are pretty similar. The only differences (I think) are the focusing knob is on the left for 124 and right on the D, the 124 can shoot 220 film, while the D cannot, the 124 has a meter (but it's notoriously bad so it doesn't matter too much) and the D does not. There's probably some other minor differences. If I'm ever between cameras, 9 times out of 10, there's a thread somewhere on the internet conveniently comparing both cameras so I'd try that too.
"I got a fever and the only prescription is more Cadillac Ranch Dressing." - Jereme Rogers

Brandon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 291
« Reply #5463 on: November 19, 2014, 09:56:16 PM »
i back the 124/124G completely. caddy ranch pointed me in that direction when i wanted to get into medium format, and i've been stoked on the one i picked up ever since i developed my first roll. for $100-$150, you can't go wrong.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1519
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
« Reply #5464 on: November 20, 2014, 01:18:24 AM »
nice

Councilman Doug

• Rep: 16
« Reply #5465 on: November 20, 2014, 01:05:24 PM »
recent portraits

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5466 on: November 20, 2014, 02:22:53 PM »
^^^Jesus christ. Friggin awesome man. That second shot looks great. Like something from a storybook. To top it off....she's cute.
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

stefan

• Rep: 14
    • Stefan Groenendijk Photos avatar image
« Reply #5467 on: November 20, 2014, 03:30:49 PM »

Thinking about buying a Mamiya 645.

any pals with experience with it?

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5468 on: November 20, 2014, 03:37:35 PM »
Never shot with a Mamiya 645, but I do have a Bronica ETRS, which is pretty similar. I really enjoy the 645 format since it's kind of a nice bridge between 35mm and medium format.

Councilman Doug

« Reply #5469 on: November 20, 2014, 04:46:52 PM »
^^^Jesus christ. Friggin awesome man. That second shot looks great. Like something from a storybook. To top it off....she's cute.

Thanks dude! Trying to build up my portrait portfolio a bit and meet some cool girls at the same time haha. Theres more on flickr if you want to check them out.

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #5470 on: November 20, 2014, 07:02:28 PM »
Never shot with a Mamiya 645, but I do have a Bronica ETRS, which is pretty similar. I really enjoy the 645 format since it's kind of a nice bridge between 35mm and medium format.

645 is medium format.

Mamiya makes some of the best glass, I'd say go for it if it's in your budget.

okdad

« Reply #5471 on: November 20, 2014, 07:29:23 PM »
Thinking about buying a Mamiya 645.

any pals with experience with it?
I used to have one and a couple of my friends have them. Great camera. One thing I really like about it is there's a shutter release on the top of the camera in addition to the common lower front corner button. It makes it more ergonomic when using a waist-level finder.
Who are you to judge what kinds of cocks he wants to suck?

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5472 on: November 20, 2014, 08:41:31 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

645 is medium format.

Yeah, I know. I'm just saying it's a good bridge between 35mm and 6x6. It's nice to have 16 frames on a roll of 120.

stefan

• Rep: 14
    • Stefan Groenendijk Photos avatar image
« Reply #5473 on: November 21, 2014, 01:51:39 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

645 is medium format.

[close]
Yeah, I know. I'm just saying it's a good bridge between 35mm and 6x6. It's nice to have 16 frames on a roll of 120.

The Mamiya shoots 15 on a roll but thats no problem.

It isn't that expensive so definitly will be considering one!

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 48
« Reply #5474 on: November 21, 2014, 03:44:29 PM »

My most recent prints (I've already posted the first one but I've printed it bigger and it's supposed to go with the other two "soccer" ones). They are all 11x14.

And some Ektar too : (pretty shitty roll this one, I salvaged these two)

Fongstarr.

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5475 on: November 21, 2014, 08:38:47 PM »
I'll fuckin
I'll fuckin

okdad

« Reply #5476 on: November 21, 2014, 09:25:58 PM »
Found some sick photos my mom made back in the day:

Who are you to judge what kinds of cocks he wants to suck?

Bloody Matt

• Rep: -41
« Reply #5477 on: November 23, 2014, 09:26:32 AM »
Found some sick photos my mom made back in the day:

COOL OLD B/W PORTRAITS

Those rule!! What a beautiful thing to find. My parents made this photo book from their travels, backpacking from London to Afghanistan in the early 70's. My parents young and in love before it all went to shit, haha. It's the only thing I really want to inherit when my old man passes.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

645 is medium format.

[close]
[close]

The Mamiya shoots 15 on a roll but thats no problem.

It isn't that expensive so definitly will be considering one!

I think that's all that fits on a roll of 120. 6x6 is 12 and 6x9 is 10. Maybe I'm wrong.

Randozzi

« Reply #5478 on: November 23, 2014, 10:58:00 AM »
Think I mentioned it before but I curate the Quiet Life Clothing Co.'s Camera Club that's been around for about a decade.
Would be great to get you cats involved.
You can upload up to three images per e-mail address, details here - http://thequietlife.com/camera_club/cc_join.php

Added some photos this morning, http://thequietlife.com/camera_club/index.php

Newer print, sepia toned. Never tried it before, not sure if I like it.

Hercules Rockefeller

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -13
  • i`m a double-bacon-genius-burger.
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5479 on: November 23, 2014, 11:08:32 AM »
i keep forgetting about the QL club, gotta submit something once i get my rolls back!

tumulishoomaroom

• Rep: 48
« Reply #5480 on: November 23, 2014, 11:26:13 AM »
Think I mentioned it before but I curate the Quiet Life Clothing Co.'s Camera Club that's been around for about a decade.
Would be great to get you cats involved.
You can upload up to three images per e-mail address, details here - http://thequietlife.com/camera_club/cc_join.php

Added some photos this morning, http://thequietlife.com/camera_club/index.php

Newer print, sepia toned. Never tried it before, not sure if I like it.
I have never tried it either, I was wondering if I should or not. Not a fan of the coloring as well. Is it supposed to be better to archive prints ? Like for their longevity ?

Randozzi

« Reply #5481 on: November 23, 2014, 01:24:03 PM »
Don't think so, just a toning thing. There is a bleaching agent used before you put it in the sepia, think I like the bleached effect a little bit more. Bleaches out the black and darker sections. Might try a couple like that tomorrow when I hit the lab. Only a couple more weeks of access before the quarter ends.

KoRnholio8

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1519
  • SkateMagArchive
    • SkateMagArchive avatar image
« Reply #5482 on: November 23, 2014, 11:58:52 PM »
had a rad diy indoor bowl opening this weeked and this is the shot my GF got when she was shooting with my camera (perfect timing):

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-H3qj1kSy7es/VHGqOt-36iI/AAAAAAAAFyU/NcQ-VRJiLVI/s1600/2014_11_22_DSC05588_v1.JPG

more pics and clip here: http://slatnaskejta.com/2014/11/otvoritev-bowla-v-skatepark-alprem-22.html

matureoftheocean

• Rep: 61
« Reply #5483 on: November 24, 2014, 04:46:32 AM »

some random photos shot with my phone
SUOMI | FINLAND | PRKL www.fat1937.blogspot.com

brianwilson

• Rep: -35
    • Flickr avatar image
« Reply #5484 on: November 24, 2014, 01:00:45 PM »
This page is a huge reminder and reason on why I shoot photos.
Everyone keep doing what they are doing,

Made In China

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 653
« Reply #5485 on: November 24, 2014, 05:33:16 PM »
I stuck a roll of expired 800 iso film in my Stylus Epic and shot half of it at a Mac Demarco Concert. None of them came out usable for anything, but I got a few shots that I liked from other days. They're super grainy, but I like the look it gives.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 05:40:50 PM by Made In China »

Flume

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 68
« Reply #5486 on: November 24, 2014, 11:22:41 PM »
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 11:59:01 AM by Flume »

Councilman Doug

« Reply #5487 on: November 25, 2014, 12:15:46 AM »

Think I'm gonna get a nikon 85mm 1.8g pretty soon, rented the 85mm 1.4 for a couple days and fell in love with the focal length compared to my 135.

Cadillac Ranch Dressing

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5488 on: November 26, 2014, 02:43:11 PM »
I shot some photos at the Ferguson rally in Baltimore last night. I have some film shots that I have to develop too.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 03:39:38 PM by Cadillac Ranch Dressing »

Councilman Doug

« Reply #5489 on: November 26, 2014, 11:12:46 PM »
damn dude, that last one...