Author Topic: The Last Good Movie You Saw?  (Read 945636 times)

Atiba Applebum

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 247
Re: The Last Good Movie You Saw?
« Reply #10260 on: October 01, 2023, 09:37:21 PM »
The new Benicio Del Toro movie Reptile was solid, pretty much love anything that dude does. Streaming on Netflix

Yeah solid, except for JT.   Weird BDT went back to looking kinda like how he did during Usual Suspects

Chavo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 224
« Reply #10261 on: October 02, 2023, 10:14:57 PM »
Finally sat down to watch The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (original version). I could almost see the strippers as analogous to pro skaters. Steve Berra in drag could play Mr. Sophistication in the remake.

linty

• Rep: 37
« Reply #10262 on: October 03, 2023, 12:01:48 AM »
Past Lives and No one will save you were both decent.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10263 on: October 04, 2023, 05:03:28 AM »
Really enjoyed Flora and Son on Apple+.   

It’s a John Carney movie, so your enjoyment will vary on whether you like Irish people finding their love of music like all his other ones (Once, Sing Street, Begin Again), but I like to pretend it’s a descendent of The Commitments which I love but always forget about. 

Also, Bono’s daughter has really shaped up to be a great actress

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #10264 on: October 04, 2023, 09:26:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Had a good time at The Creator
[close]

Good to hear, definitely gonna catch in theaters soon as well as Dumb Money. But beforehand plan to catch the Talking Heads concert film Stop Making Sense tomorrow

I caught Stop Making Sense in IMAX- it was excellent.  Had no idea the Talking Heads bassist and drummer did Tom Tom Club as a side project.  That was a fun surprise.  It’s a concert film but Demme does such a good job with pacing and characterizing each performer, he was a such a talented director…

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10265 on: October 04, 2023, 01:05:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Good to hear, definitely gonna catch in theaters soon as well as Dumb Money. But beforehand plan to catch the Talking Heads concert film Stop Making Sense tomorrow
[close]

I caught Stop Making Sense in IMAX- it was excellent.  Had no idea the Talking Heads bassist and drummer did Tom Tom Club as a side project.  That was a fun surprise.  It’s a concert film but Demme does such a good job with pacing and characterizing each performer, he was a such a talented director…

They’re also married.    (And Byrne was pretty pissed Genius of Love became so popular perhaps even more than any TH song)

Carrolls Chesthairs

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 122
  • HANNIBAL!!
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #10266 on: October 04, 2023, 02:42:44 PM »
Rewatching Saw 1 before the new one this weekend

matt_2993

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 227
« Reply #10267 on: October 04, 2023, 09:26:50 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Awesome ya will hope to catch it this upcoming Sunday.

Finally watched The Deer Hunter and god damn that movie was great. Long but not a bad one to split over 2 days in case the runtime ever held someone off

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #10268 on: October 04, 2023, 10:32:11 PM »
That ending……

Kinda sucks how David Byrne is estranged from the other members….

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10269 on: October 04, 2023, 11:14:36 PM »
That ending……

Yeah hearing more about his biography I was surprised what an asshole he was at the time

Also surprised that Radiohead comes from Talking Heads, but moreso Stephen Tobolowsky

Blind Fisherman

• Rep: 71
« Reply #10270 on: October 05, 2023, 08:52:05 AM »
Finally watched The Untouchables (1987) last night. Kind of goofy when it comes to the acting of some of the cast, but a pretty good watch. It's on Max for anyone interested.

jakeumms

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1341
  • Runnin through the house with a pickle in my mouth
« Reply #10271 on: October 05, 2023, 09:12:59 PM »
Finally watched The Untouchables (1987) last night. Kind of goofy when it comes to the acting of some of the cast, but a pretty good watch. It's on Max for anyone interested.
That's specifically what I love about that movie. It's an early twentieth century superhero movie with head shots and drive bys. That's a real DePalma vibe - hyper corny but then some shocking violence pulls you back into the thing.
them cats are out getting mashed up to jungle, he's out mashing up jungle cats. it's just not gonna work.

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
« Reply #10272 on: October 05, 2023, 10:34:56 PM »
Expand Quote
That ending……

[close]

Yeah hearing more about his biography I was surprised what an asshole he was at the time

Also surprised that Radiohead comes from Talking Heads, but moreso Stephen Tobolowsky

It’s kinda a bummer how they remastered the movie but they couldn’t find a way to reconcile. 

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10273 on: October 06, 2023, 01:47:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
That ending……

[close]

[close]

It’s kinda a bummer how they remastered the movie but they couldn’t find a way to reconcile.

Granted, it’s from Frantz’s perspective, but apparently Byrne is the one who refuses to make it happen.   He’s king had a “the fuck do I need the rest of you clowns for?” attitude to the rest of the band which is the delicious irony of Genius of Love

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10274 on: October 06, 2023, 04:30:52 AM »
@Mean salto heard anything about Royal Hotel?   Thought it was pretty good.  Had no idea it was based on a doc

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 862
« Reply #10275 on: October 06, 2023, 05:13:13 AM »
@Mean salto heard anything about Royal Hotel?   Thought it was pretty good.  Had no idea it was based on a doc
I hadn't heard of it. Watching the trailer I'm not sure where I'd see it advertised in day to day life. Unfortunately things like that don't get talked about too much in general either. I guess it only just would have had its first playing tonight so we'll see after the weekend if it gets some buzz.

Unfortunately there can be a bit of a wierd thing in Australia where there's a lot of visually similar looking movies (just judging from the trailer) and people don't always give them a chance maybe assuming a local product is just going to be lower quality.

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10276 on: October 06, 2023, 06:15:54 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I hadn't heard of it. Watching the trailer I'm not sure where I'd see it advertised in day to day life. Unfortunately things like that don't get talked about too much in general either. I guess it only just would have had its first playing tonight so we'll see after the weekend if it gets some buzz.

Unfortunately there can be a bit of a wierd thing in Australia where there's a lot of visually similar looking movies (just judging from the trailer) and people don't always give them a chance maybe assuming a local product is just going to be lower quality.

Ah ok.  There was a lot of chatter on IMDb about it filming in Southern Australia and it seeming like it was a big deal part of a government sponsored filmmaking scheme that I thought it might get a little press

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10277 on: October 06, 2023, 07:38:59 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Ah ok.  There was a lot of chatter on IMDb about it filming in Southern Australia and it seeming like it was a big deal part of a government sponsored filmmaking scheme that I thought it might get a little press
I'm really not the most in the know or anything generally (I get a lot of my info from this thread lol). Maybe it would have been in papers and local news etc down there but I'm guessing because it's not some big mainstream thing they won't talk about it unless it's getting great reviews etc.
I'll keep an eye out for anything that comes up but I'd guess it will be like "talk to me" where I first hear about it from you, then it gets released and there's a little bit of reviews and info put out.

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10278 on: October 06, 2023, 10:48:00 AM »
Pearl was pretty alright. Don't know if it's worth seeing if you haven't seen X. Or plan to see X I guess you could watch them in either order

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10279 on: October 06, 2023, 10:52:37 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]
I'm really not the most in the know or anything generally (I get a lot of my info from this thread lol). Maybe it would have been in papers and local news etc down there but I'm guessing because it's not some big mainstream thing they won't talk about it unless it's getting great reviews etc.
I'll keep an eye out for anything that comes up but I'd guess it will be like "talk to me" where I first hear about it from you, then it gets released and there's a little bit of reviews and info put out.

It won’t be as big as Talk to Me bc it’s more tension filled than straight horror.  If have ever heard of the Aussie doc Hotel Coolgardie, this is kind of an adaptation

Kook Me Amadeus

« Reply #10280 on: October 06, 2023, 11:15:53 AM »
Caught an early screening of Anatomy of a Fall by Justine Triet, crime/legal procedural and Palme d’Or winner.  Definitely great.  The filmmakers and lead actress did a little Q&A for the unwashed masses in our theater afterward… they were super impressive and cool.  European filmmakers are the best, especially when they’re in full auteur mode like Triet is, that level of unbridled confidence and creativity is so infectious.

easymoneysniper

• Rep: 32
« Reply #10281 on: October 06, 2023, 01:56:31 PM »
2 weeks til Killers of the Flower Moon wooh!!!!

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10282 on: October 06, 2023, 02:07:14 PM »
Caught an early screening of Anatomy of a Fall by Justine Triet, crime/legal procedural and Palme d’Or winner.  Definitely great.  The filmmakers and lead actress did a little Q&A for the unwashed masses in our theater afterward… they were super impressive and cool.  European filmmakers are the best, especially when they’re in full auteur mode like Triet is, that level of unbridled confidence and creativity is so infectious.

Nice!   Am looking forward to it.   Had to zone out when a trailer for it played last night bc I wanted to go into it cold

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1110
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #10283 on: October 07, 2023, 05:03:57 PM »
Saw Romero's "The Night of the Living Dead" on 16mm last night. First time watching it from start to finish and quite enjoyed it, very sad ending.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

Atiba Applebum

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10284 on: October 08, 2023, 12:30:30 AM »
Pearl was pretty alright. Don't know if it's worth seeing if you haven't seen X. Or plan to see X I guess you could watch them in either order

This isn’t my genre, but all the fuss has made me check both out, but I’m still at a bit  of a loss at what’s so special about them.   

Mean salto

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #10285 on: October 08, 2023, 04:32:36 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

This isn’t my genre, but all the fuss has made me check both out, but I’m still at a bit  of a loss at what’s so special about them.
There's a crocodile? I don't know what really makes them "better" than anything thing else. Id say it's just like a homage to simpler days of horror and done decently enough.
I guess it could also be an entry point or something for people who haven't watched a bunch of horror/slasher movies, something that's new and looks nice and technically all works whereas all the stuff it borrows from can be a bit rough looking back.(altho I'd say that's what's actually good about them)

Dojsha Abuser

• Rep: -26
« Reply #10286 on: October 09, 2023, 06:27:15 AM »

-The Father
-Harakiri
-The Northman

EdLawndale

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1110
    • My Wife avatar image
« Reply #10287 on: October 09, 2023, 08:12:51 PM »
Saw a double feature of "Creature from the Black Lagoon" with its suprisingly not-so-bad sequel "Revenge of the Creature" in 3-D this weekend. I hadn't seen a movie in 3-D since maybe "Avatar" and it was a really fun way to watch them. For me, the best Universal Monsters were The Wolf Man, The Invisible Man and The Creature, so I was pretty stoked. I guess John Carpenter had been working on a remake of "Creature..." that sounded pretty bad ass -- where he was going to do a hard-R take that built on the mythos of the Creature -- but the project fell apart after "Memoirs of an Invisible Man" flopped.
"Was just about to say, wtf is up with this EdLawndale guy?"

dunc

• Rep: 54
« Reply #10288 on: October 09, 2023, 09:00:08 PM »

-The Father
-Harakiri
-The Northman

The Father was brutal. When he cries for his mum at the end. Wow. Such a cleaver movie how it makes you feel like you have dimentia. Not looking forward to that.
They laughed when I told my friends that I was going to be a comedian.....well they are not laughing now!

ToySanta

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 117
« Reply #10289 on: October 11, 2023, 09:03:41 PM »
Batman & Robin.

So campy. Most of Mr. Freeze’s lines are cold related puns. Alfred’s storyline is unnecessarily dramatic and pointless. Needed more Poison Ivy villainy, but overall stupid, goofy fun.