Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797598 times)

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #4500 on: December 19, 2021, 08:55:39 PM »
Expand Quote
my pink spitfire skate like a girl f4s wore down and flatspotted extremely quickly. was excited to try a coloured pair of wheels but now i feel like the dye they use fuck with their formula or something. i haven't even skated a lot of rough ground recently, mostly the local indoor which is mostly wooden.
[close]
A coworker of mine got a chunk out of his. Did you find them softer feeling almost? My black classic fulls have been noted to feel a little softer by most people who have tried my setup.

DLXSF customer service to the rescue, constantly impressed with them. As long as you have proof of purchase and send evidence documenting it, they are helpful. Time to break out the calipers to prove the wear is faster than average.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

goingapelikenigo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #4501 on: December 20, 2021, 01:59:45 AM »
Expand Quote
my pink spitfire skate like a girl f4s wore down and flatspotted extremely quickly. was excited to try a coloured pair of wheels but now i feel like the dye they use fuck with their formula or something. i haven't even skated a lot of rough ground recently, mostly the local indoor which is mostly wooden.
[close]
A coworker of mine got a chunk out of his. Did you find them softer feeling almost? My black classic fulls have been noted to feel a little softer by most people who have tried my setup.
yes i got a little chunk out of mine too actually, there is like a little chunk peeling off and barely hanging on.
DLXSF customer service to the rescue, constantly impressed with them. As long as you have proof of purchase and send evidence documenting it, they are helpful. Time to break out the calipers to prove the wear is faster than average.
gonna try to get in contact with them, thanks!

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4502 on: December 22, 2021, 02:59:41 PM »

For people in AUSTRALIA who want NFG or Boardy Cakes wheels, I just saw a small shop guy who has some on his website.

https://americanwood.shop/

https://americanwood.shop/products/WHEELS-c121735450

Both the 95 duro and the normal ones, different sizes and shapes, some of each wheels still in stock.

Worth a look.

*  Nothing to do with me, just came up on Instagram and thought if people were keen, there are some available.

Added:

Discount code: SK8XMAS15

15% off anything in store

« Last Edit: December 22, 2021, 03:07:36 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Gray Imp Sausage Metal

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 148
  • We're just 2 lo(b)s(t)ers sitting behind a screen
« Reply #4503 on: December 22, 2021, 07:17:59 PM »
Good that you Aussies can now cop NFG

Impish sausage is definitely gonna blow up as a euphemism this year

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4504 on: December 22, 2021, 07:43:48 PM »
Good that you Aussies can now cop NFG

It is also kinda funny that no one has really picked up these brands, but it is a small solo operator who brought them in and is doing his own shop based on USA made products too.

Hopefully people who would like to try them do buy some things and help him keep the business going too.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
« Reply #4505 on: December 24, 2021, 10:34:09 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
yes i got a little chunk out of mine too actually, there is like a little chunk peeling off and barely hanging on.
Expand Quote
[close]

One thing to note is that both red and black use the most dye which displaces more urethane in the batch than other colors. This is what makes colored wheels feel a bit softer than their counterparts and why they wear more quickly. Probably why the black wheels/white wheels debate existed in the 80’s. As in the argument over which was faster. I could imagine thinking that the smoother wheel felt faster ( black ) where the white wheels felt a bit harder and truly held their speed better (depending on the surface you were riding).

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #4506 on: December 24, 2021, 08:28:03 PM »
Skated some 58mm Spitfire OG Classics 99a I’ve had on a little used setup the other day. Holy schnikes are they faster than the 56-clapped-out-to-52mm 99a F4 conical fulls I’ve been riding. I mean, I know bigger wheels are faster, but the bearings in the 58’s are better too, and the bearing seats on the conical fulls were pretty worn the last time I had the bearings out. I’ve got some fresher 54mm 99 F4 conical fulls I wanna trot out for comparison.  I had been feeling pretty slick on my worn out, super wide wheels, but it really made me wonder about how long people ride wheels and why.

Slugboi22

• Rep: 69
« Reply #4507 on: December 26, 2021, 11:45:25 PM »
 How are SMLs AG formula compared to Spitfire F4? thinking about getting some of the 49s just for fun and want to make sure i’ll at least sorta like em. It’s between those or the spitfire little smokies.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4508 on: December 27, 2021, 05:56:18 AM »
How are SMLs AG formula compared to Spitfire F4? thinking about getting some of the 49s just for fun and want to make sure i’ll at least sorta like em. It’s between those or the spitfire little smokies.

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The new OJs feel way less icy, so now I can blame like 3% of those f4 slams on a personal gear mismatch and keep the madness alive.

Do you know how sml wheels compare to f4 in terms of grip? Cheers
[close]

Ha, yeah definitely got to try some out and see what works.

I have had / seen two different types of SML wheels and both were good / no issues, but I didn't skate them much and passed them on to others who needed wheels, more so because I usually ride and feel most comfortable on Spitfires.

One set was very white, which seemed harder at first, the other set more milky, and was a bit softer / had more grip.  I guess being one of the many brands who use other wheels, it is just one of those things.

See this post for the slight differences, not counting the coloured wheels at the end.

[close]

So the ones with the flowers on the left are our AG formula (made specific Austyn) from Creative Urethane which is closer to a Spitfire Classic. They have a more traditional feel with a little bit easier slide-ability.

The other ones on the right are our OG formula from Aend They are closer to a Bones STF. They have a high rebound so they won't flat spot it doesn't have to do with the hardness as much as the high quality of urethane . So they do take a little more effort on the slide but I personally love them.

The duro is the same 99a on both but they both have their own feel.

I hope this info is helpful and thanks for the support!!

From @cliff

Riding a set of the OG Wide 99a 52mm and I'm really liking them, right up there with Spitfire and Bones and would even rank them above OJ / Ricta. Very consistent slides and no slip outs on the slick metal bench I've been skating. Liked them more than the F4 99a Classics I rode a few months back.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Slugboi22

• Rep: 69
« Reply #4509 on: December 27, 2021, 04:00:27 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
The new OJs feel way less icy, so now I can blame like 3% of those f4 slams on a personal gear mismatch and keep the madness alive.

Do you know how sml wheels compare to f4 in terms of grip? Cheers
[close]

Ha, yeah definitely got to try some out and see what works.

I have had / seen two different types of SML wheels and both were good / no issues, but I didn't skate them much and passed them on to others who needed wheels, more so because I usually ride and feel most comfortable on Spitfires.

One set was very white, which seemed harder at first, the other set more milky, and was a bit softer / had more grip.  I guess being one of the many brands who use other wheels, it is just one of those things.

See this post for the slight differences, not counting the coloured wheels at the end.

[close]

So the ones with the flowers on the left are our AG formula (made specific Austyn) from Creative Urethane which is closer to a Spitfire Classic. They have a more traditional feel with a little bit easier slide-ability.

The other ones on the right are our OG formula from Aend They are closer to a Bones STF. They have a high rebound so they won't flat spot it doesn't have to do with the hardness as much as the high quality of urethane . So they do take a little more effort on the slide but I personally love them.

The duro is the same 99a on both but they both have their own feel.

I hope this info is helpful and thanks for the support!!
[close]

From @cliff

Riding a set of the OG Wide 99a 52mm and I'm really liking them, right up there with Spitfire and Bones and would even rank them above OJ / Ricta. Very consistent slides and no slip outs on the slick metal bench I've been skating. Liked them more than the F4 99a Classics I rode a few months back.
Oh fuck yeah! thank you so much for this! I didn’t realize they had two different formulas going on so that’s good to know :)

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -303
« Reply #4510 on: December 27, 2021, 04:16:37 PM »
Don’t have much to add but to the pals above re:SML I bought two sets of those Tom Knox wheels cuz I wanted conical wheels but I got a flat spot after like less than a month of skating them. Did a 180 over a ledge and bam, flat spot, and I don’t powerslide much. Not sure what to do with the other set I bought lol.

Got me some Satoris (conical) and I love em.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4511 on: December 27, 2021, 07:33:26 PM »
Don’t have much to add but to the pals above re:SML I bought two sets of those Tom Knox wheels cuz I wanted conical wheels but I got a flat spot after like less than a month of skating them. Did a 180 over a ledge and bam, flat spot, and I don’t powerslide much. Not sure what to do with the other set I bought lol.

Got me some Satoris (conical) and I love em.

That's a shame about the SML ones, learned some 180s out of grinds and the SML ones held up well through all the sliding on the ground. 99a is my go to, can't do 101a anymore.

I like the Satori Slims, they have a similar shape as Autobahn Street Slims, maybe even a hair narrower. If you want something skinnier than a Bones V3 these are a great choice, love that narrow profile for pinchy grinds. But for pushing on rough asphalt definitely no bueno.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

JJ_Skates

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Rep: 15
« Reply #4512 on: December 28, 2021, 01:08:40 PM »
Just got my my full conical F4's and mini logos in! My Quantum bearing Isotopes are coming in soon and I'll be putting them on the Spitfires once I get em.

The mini logos are on my Bones STF V1 in 54mm + 103a. I'm gonna beat the shit outta them. The Spits + Quantum combo will be my "nice" setup.

goingapelikenigo

• Rep: 89
  • please don't be a hero
« Reply #4513 on: January 05, 2022, 01:25:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Expand Quote
[close]

Update

i'm getting a new pair of wheels!
dlxsf was very nice to deal with and i'm now getting a new pair of wheels from the distribution here in sweden.
seems like i'm getting a pair of 54mm 99du conicals, thanks for the help @rocklobster didn't even think about contacting them before lol.

big_kev_215

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 746
« Reply #4514 on: January 14, 2022, 06:33:44 PM »
Anyone buy those Kader radial fulls/if so how are they?  I promised myself I wouldn’t waste money on wheels or trucks for a while but I keep looking at that shape and it just looks so good.  Might have to break that promise.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4515 on: January 14, 2022, 10:27:59 PM »
How's the experience on NFG wheels been?

Rode them for 1 session today (54mm Square), biggest adjustment was size going up from 51mm to 54mm. The lock in was beautiful and fast on smooth concrete. Slide was a little sticky at first but got manageable an hour in.

Hardness wise they feel right between a F4 101a and STF 103a, they are listed as 52D.  Was definitely feeling the vibrations when pushing on rough asphalt.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

logjammin

• Rep: 346
« Reply #4516 on: January 16, 2022, 06:50:38 PM »

Scooped these off eBay just to have em. Anyone skate them back in the day and recall if they were any good?

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4517 on: January 17, 2022, 02:47:46 PM »

Scooped these off eBay just to have em. Anyone skate them back in the day and recall if they were any good?

Damn those things bring back memories!

Yes I had lots (and still have some) but compared to Formula Four, they are like the old vintage car that people take out for a Sunday drive.  Well not quite, as I still have quite a few setups with old Spitfires on, most yellowed but still amazing to skate.

Spitfire wheels used to wear down quickly and flatspot easily when still brand new fresh white, but the older ones tended to harden up some and skate way better.  The colour often put a lot of people off though - getting called onions and similar - but usually never had half the issues with them in that state as per when they were new.

Richard Skidder

• Rep: 470
« Reply #4518 on: January 17, 2022, 03:32:56 PM »
Chet Childress used to skate those Hardlines before he was on OJ.

FUBAR

• Rep: 240
« Reply #4519 on: January 17, 2022, 04:18:34 PM »
I remember being able to get good blank 48mm white wheels for $15 a set. New set every time I got a new deck. Fresh little white marbles to roll around on.

realbasedgod112

• Rep: 80
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #4520 on: January 17, 2022, 05:07:50 PM »
How can I accurately measure the contact patch on my wheels? I like how they've worn down from the original size, and I want to check so I can choose another pair that suits my preferences.
I didn't want to use a ruler as there's not much of a way to tell where the surface starts and ends, so mainly I was wondering if there's anything I can run them over like dye or paint.
y’all not fuckin with what i’m fuckin with

maggot cunt

« Reply #4521 on: January 18, 2022, 02:32:17 AM »
How can I accurately measure the contact patch on my wheels? I like how they've worn down from the original size, and I want to check so I can choose another pair that suits my preferences.
I didn't want to use a ruler as there's not much of a way to tell where the surface starts and ends, so mainly I was wondering if there's anything I can run them over like dye or paint.

puddle

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4522 on: January 18, 2022, 04:31:58 AM »

Any indoor area or under cover carpark that has a layer of built up car dust should coat the wheels fairly well, as they usually end up black on the riding surface, then simple to get rid of too, just by riding over something more coarse like raw concrete and carving a bit.

Calipers are handy for measuring things like wheels, be it the diameter, the width, the contact patch or surface area.

Often very cheap too, from places like two dollar stores, some hardware warehouse type places and ebay.

QUIT SINNIN

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 26
  • PATSY
« Reply #4523 on: January 18, 2022, 03:54:51 PM »
Does anyone out there make a novelty 40mm wheel?

white guy in a durag

• Rep: 230
  • 0 days since last ankle injury
« Reply #4524 on: January 18, 2022, 04:06:47 PM »

user18081971

« Reply #4525 on: January 18, 2022, 04:42:04 PM »
sml has a 40,46, and 49 I would wager that urethane is better than bc,

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #4526 on: January 19, 2022, 12:05:41 AM »
Anyone had 99a slimeballs before? Thoughts compared to 97 or 99 f4s?

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #4527 on: January 19, 2022, 07:28:15 AM »
sml has a 40,46, and 49 I would wager that urethane is better than bc,

At least with the 45s and 49s, they're the AG formula which is actually the same as BC (Creative Urethane 99a). Skated some of the BC 49mm 99s and was genuinely impressed with how well they handled one crusty spots.

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 650
« Reply #4528 on: January 19, 2022, 09:25:37 AM »
Anybody have any experience with, or know anything about Mass Transit wheels? I'm always intrigued by smaller brands like this and they look nice.
https://www.instagram.com/masstransitwheels/

Get hungry on it!

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #4529 on: January 19, 2022, 11:21:55 AM »
Switching to classic 55mm's instead of the OG classic 55mm's ive been skating all fall and winter. Cant stand hard, "wide riding surface but thin profile" aggressively square wheels. No purpose for ledges and flip tricks (round edge makes a difference), and I need more truck space smh