Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797608 times)

Festivus (+ 1 Hidden) and 10 Guests are viewing this topic.

Madam, I'm Adam

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1382
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #4620 on: February 10, 2022, 09:21:37 PM »
Are loopholes kind of yellowish in colour like formula 4s?

iw0

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #4621 on: February 10, 2022, 09:43:08 PM »

so the more recent runs seem to be a bit whiter than the last ones which were a little more tan/yellowed. i just held up an f4 to all my nfg/loopholes and they (the nfg/loops) are lighter and overall just not the same tinge of brown/yellow that f4's have

Musicaldeath107

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 122
« Reply #4622 on: February 11, 2022, 06:41:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Some of the best garage made wheels I’ve seen. Looks like they’re all 90mm though

https://instagram.com/skatewheel_maker?utm_medium=copy_link
[close]

on their site it looks like they have a 90a, a 97a and a 99a wheel. rad though, anyone have time on these?
[close]

I skated the 97s for a few months.  They feel a little slow on smooth ground but they felt real nice on crappy asphalt at the DIY.  He just came out with the 99s wanted to grab a set to try out but I already have too many wheels.
[close]

yeah i'm in the same boat, but i also just noticed the 99s come in green and orange so i may be trying those sooner than i think
[close]
Seemed weird the 97a only comes in a 52mm. I woulda given em buy if they had 54mms. Not even trying to be fussy, the 97a 54mm CF is my fave right now and it would be dope to have another brand making a similar wheel.

I think that's just what he has right now on the site.  He does custom color requests on the site, and the 97a that I skated were 54, so he may pour some 97a 54mm on request.

nahfrtho

• Rep: 0
« Reply #4623 on: February 11, 2022, 09:43:44 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone have a review of Dialtone wheels? Looking to size down from 54mm NFG, are Loophole on par with SML? Last set I rode were petty good.
[close]

loophole are just nfg with a different graphic if that helps
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone have a review of Dialtone wheels? Looking to size down from 54mm NFG, are Loophole on par with SML? Last set I rode were petty good.
[close]

It's my understanding that Loophole and NFG are identical wheels. I've had SML and I'm skating Loopholes now, and the Loopholes are vastly better.

I don't know anything about Dial Tone, so correct me if I am wrong, but they look to be more generic Creative Urethane wheels.
[close]

I mistyped and confused everyone, no coffee

Currently on NFG
Not ridden Loophole, they are the same as NFG
I was asking about Dialtone, and wanted to know if they rode similar to SML which I rode late last year.
i rode some alexis sablone dialtones last summer and they were pretty average. i got the 99s and they were pretty smooth in the streets but they got kinda lopsided and lumpy after about 2 months or so, also didn’t have a lot of give when i tried powerslides. i’m not sure how they compare to sml wheels tho, i haven’t ridden those in a few years

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #4624 on: February 11, 2022, 09:56:46 AM »

My newish Loopholes were pretty solidly off-white. Much less yellow than Spitfires.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Gene_Harrogate

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 650
« Reply #4625 on: February 11, 2022, 10:25:31 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

My newish Loopholes were pretty solidly off-white. Much less yellow than Spitfires.
I've got two sets of NFGs, one of the harder formula and one of the 95a Crust formula.  I think from a previous run as they both started out a bit more yellow than f4s.  The harder ones have maintained their color, the 95a's have continued to darken with use.

Get hungry on it!

Madam, I'm Adam

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1382
« Reply #4626 on: February 11, 2022, 08:32:33 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
I've got two sets of NFGs, one of the harder formula and one of the 95a Crust formula.  I think from a previous run as they both started out a bit more yellow than f4s.  The harder ones have maintained their color, the 95a's have continued to darken with use.

Thanks for the replies guys, you too @iw0 . Fuck it, I’ll try out a pair!

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #4627 on: February 13, 2022, 05:12:26 AM »
Someone ridden haze wheels or specifically their cruise wheels? Looking for a cruiser wheel and they have a 60mm 78a in the same shape as the oj mini super juice.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4628 on: February 20, 2022, 05:58:10 AM »
I think i like Spitfires og formula better than F4s

Anyone with this opinion or am i trippin?

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #4629 on: February 20, 2022, 08:28:59 PM »

Are you talking about the F1 urethane?  Not when it comes to flatspots. I like the way the felt, hard and slidey, different feel than F4; F4s are the closest feeling wheels you can get (well maybe NFG) to what 'old school' / petrolio=um based wheels felt like from the 80s.

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4630 on: February 20, 2022, 08:54:41 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Are you talking about the F1 urethane?  Not when it comes to flatspots. I like the way the felt, hard and slidey, different feel than F4; F4s are the closest feeling wheels you can get (well maybe NFG) to what 'old school' / petrolio=um based wheels felt like from the 80s.
Are the OGs F1? Not sure

But yea when it comes durability you can't beat f4s. Performance wise i like those ogs better. They grip better but slide when you want them to slide. With f4s, indoor parks in winter have been too slippery most of times.

Also, i kinda fuck with the sound ogs make compared to f4s, brings back memories

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4631 on: February 21, 2022, 10:13:25 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Are the OGs F1? Not sure

But yea when it comes durability you can't beat f4s. Performance wise i like those ogs better. They grip better but slide when you want them to slide. With f4s, indoor parks in winter have been too slippery most of times.

Also, i kinda fuck with the sound ogs make compared to f4s, brings back memories

The OG chirp was pretty rad, no doubt.

F4 99a are damn near perfect tho.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #4632 on: February 21, 2022, 10:16:46 AM »
The og formula feel great. Until they flatspot. Which for me usually happens quick. I need to try them again.
I really like the Manderson sfw 53s. Felt rad to use those skating across town.

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1493
  • Illusion Flip
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #4633 on: February 21, 2022, 11:07:18 AM »
The only OG spitfires I didn't flatspot were the Spitfire II (yes, that far back).

Every spitfire wheel I rode before f4 came out, I flatspotted.

One set, I flatspotted so bad in the first day that it was essentially a bloated pentagon because I tried to powerslide out the original flatspot and just kept adding more and making the original one worse.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4634 on: February 21, 2022, 04:09:21 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Are the OGs F1? Not sure

The original Spitfire formula (no name, just 99 duro) certainly had their issues with flatspots but they definitely worked and still are an amazing wheel to me, but I guess I have a whole lot more old originals, than the newer ones.

When they were brand new and very white, they would wear down faster and flatspot way more easily too, but as they yellowed and turned into onions, as some people call them, they last so much better, to me at least.

They feel hard and slide well, but still have more grip when I needed it on the indoor park ramps too.

When the F1 wheels came out maybe 2006 2009 or so, they were supposed to be awesome, but I think they ended up with more flatspots and they just didn't feel right for a lot of people, feeling chalky or a bit inconsistent.

Then Formula Four rumours were going around in 2012 and came out in 2013 and everything changed.

I still have a set of these on a board, the F1 58mm Multiballs and although they skate fine, they are so different to the original and Formula Four:

« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 04:23:57 PM by Mbrimson88 »
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4635 on: February 21, 2022, 04:26:37 PM »
Original Spitfires were great. They went south in the early 2000s. This may have had something to do with EPA regulations changing. F1s were an improvement for sure but it wasn't until F4 that Spitfire found their ground again. They did tweak the Classic formula a few years back. It still isn't as good as the 90s Spitifres but its better than the early 2000s. Slower and not as durable and more prone to flat spotting than F4.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4636 on: February 21, 2022, 04:56:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]
Are the OGs F1? Not sure

[close]

The original Spitfire formula (no name, just 99 duro) certainly had their issues with flatspots but they definitely worked and still are an amazing wheel to me, but I guess I have a whole lot more old originals, than the newer ones.

When they were brand new and very white, they would wear down faster and flatspot way more easily too, but as they yellowed and turned into onions, as some people call them, they last so much better, to me at least.

They feel hard and slide well, but still have more grip when I needed it on the indoor park ramps too.

When the F1 wheels came out maybe 2006 2009 or so, they were supposed to be awesome, but I think they ended up with more flatspots and they just didn't feel right for a lot of people, feeling chalky or a bit inconsistent.

Then Formula Four rumours were going around in 2012 and came out in 2013 and everything changed.

I still have a set of these on a board, the F1 58mm Multiballs and although they skate fine, they are so different to the original and Formula Four:

I wasn't going in the waaaay back machine to the OG OG Spits, F1s are more 'relevant' to most people since they are not that old and were just before F4s.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #4637 on: February 21, 2022, 06:10:14 PM »

I wasn't going in the waaaay back machine to the OG OG Spits, F1s are more 'relevant' to most people since they are not that old and were just before F4s.

Ha yeah sometimes I think I say too much and talk a whole lot of crap, as well as being unable to get rid of anything, so I have way too much "history" in skateboard product still.

At first I thought F1 came out earlier than that but the earliest I can find is 2009 from old catalogs and online info.

Before that was like the Bronze Age for skateboard wheels, I guess.

I had seen a few older / early Spitfire wheels around too, but never had any interest in collector prices for wheels I didn't even know existed back in the late 80s.

All we had back then was Powell and Santa Cruz wheels, as far as I can recall from the big names, along with Cockroach wheels here in Australia.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4638 on: February 21, 2022, 10:19:02 PM »
When spits first hit Thrasher and the streets it was a game changer.

A true 'street' wheel....back when 55s were considered small :P Alva Rock IIs, Vision Blurrs and then the mighty OJ Street Razor (another 55mm wheel), were all we had to choose from...tho a friend of mine and I ran bones freestyle wheels (super hard to get back then, basically a tablet shape but still 57mm and only 95a) and no risers well before that was the norm for wheels size or truck height.

Expand Quote

[close]

Ha yeah sometimes I think I say too much and talk a whole lot of crap, as well as being unable to get rid of anything, so I have way too much "history" in skateboard product still.

At first I thought F1 came out earlier than that but the earliest I can find is 2009 from old catalogs and online info.

I had seen a few older / early Spitfire wheels around too, but never had any interest in collector prices for wheels I didn't even know existed back in the late 80s.

All we had back then was Powell and Santa Cruz wheels, as far as I can recall from the big names, along with Cockroach wheels here in Australia.

That's what this forum is for!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2022, 10:26:53 PM by Xen »

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #4639 on: February 22, 2022, 09:46:35 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Please, talk all the crap you can!

I do remember the late 80’s- early 90’s wheels. You’re pretty spot on about Powell and Santa Cruz being huge, but g&s, vision, Schmitt stix and Simms were all popular. That gave way to the small company/small wheel era. I remember early Spitfires, Real small wheels in the sixpack, A1. My recollection was that they were equivalent to board brand wheels today, but it was super trendy to not ride wheels from one of the dinosaurs, notably PP or SCSWs.  Cockroaches enjoyed some action in my scene being adjacent to some guys that were hooked up. I remember getting a set for a few bucks - basically buying the dude a cup at a kegger- because they were “too soft”.  Great wheels.

I’m still not 100% how much is nostalgia, but I still think Santa Cruz wheels from back in the day are the gold standard. I know they didn’t/don’t suck because about 5 years ago I stumbled across a set of 60mm/95a street razors on an old bort in the basement and skated them pretty hard. I preferred them to the spitfire soft-d’s I was riding. I’ve got an OG set of Powell G-bones I’ve fiddled with, and they’ve got some of that old magic too, but they’re too tall, soft and goofy-shaped to work for me.

@xen nailed it, too. That’s what happens when you come back and finish a post a day later.

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #4640 on: February 23, 2022, 12:55:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

loophole are just nfg with a different graphic if that helps
[close]
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

It's my understanding that Loophole and NFG are identical wheels. I've had SML and I'm skating Loopholes now, and the Loopholes are vastly better.

I don't know anything about Dial Tone, so correct me if I am wrong, but they look to be more generic Creative Urethane wheels.
[close]

I mistyped and confused everyone, no coffee

Currently on NFG
Not ridden Loophole, they are the same as NFG
I was asking about Dialtone, and wanted to know if they rode similar to SML which I rode late last year.
[close]
i rode some alexis sablone dialtones last summer and they were pretty average. i got the 99s and they were pretty smooth in the streets but they got kinda lopsided and lumpy after about 2 months or so, also didn’t have a lot of give when i tried powerslides. i’m not sure how they compare to sml wheels tho, i haven’t ridden those in a few years

Ehh I think the new SML formula is on par with your experience. I find they slide a lot better in the streets as opposed to smooth, glassy surfaces. I also feel that they wear down more irregularly, are more prone to flatspots, and feel slower at skateparks, and for some reason I only get flatspots at skateparks on those wheels

I think the greater micro-surface area of smooth ground has something to do with it, since as a result of being smooth more floor surface would be in contact with the surface of the wheel, causing more friction and wearing more of the wheel off as a result of softer/friction-prone urethane. (especially considering they don't have as much of a "frictionless" feeling slide like F4s on street, which would result in more wheel material getting shredded off in general).

I've skated like 4 sets of SML (recent drops) and have always found them faster on street and also faster to wear down compared to F4s imo. If dialtone is creative they're likely the same urethane as SML (also threaded like SMLs).

Either way I don't think creative urethane is bad or unskateable, I think it actually has its strengths in being a softer-feeling 99a especially on street where they feel super smooth, fast, and shock-absorbing at 54mm+. It's actually the main reason I usually find myself compulsively buying a set of 54mm OG wide SMLs in the summer when I know the extra 15$ on spitfires would be well spent.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2022, 01:03:03 PM by switchfrontshuv »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4641 on: February 26, 2022, 07:37:54 PM »
What’s the preferred wheel for the dreamland/grind line type parks? I’ve absolutely ignored that type of stuff, making sure to only scurry about in some forgotten parking lot. Considering being the old person trying to learn how to drop in and such. Can’t wait.

braksabbath

• Rep: 192
« Reply #4642 on: February 26, 2022, 08:33:42 PM »
What’s the preferred wheel for the dreamland/grind line type parks? I’ve absolutely ignored that type of stuff, making sure to only scurry about in some forgotten parking lot. Considering being the old person trying to learn how to drop in and such. Can’t wait.
Extra hard. My OJ 99a were too grippy at any park that wasn’t brand new with that mirror finish. Been liking the NFG Vee

Frank and Fred

« Reply #4643 on: February 26, 2022, 08:40:30 PM »

Really Bones SPFs are pretty amazing if you are just going to skate new Dreamland/ Grindline parks. However, some of these parks are getting a little older and rougher now and need a slightly more forgiving wheel. My wheel of choice is still F4 99as b/c they are more versatile. But before F4s and when most the Dreamland/ Grindline parks were still relatively new, SPFs were ideal.

In saying all that, if you are just learning to skate this type of terrain, I wouldn't worry about it that much. Its only when you really start cranking around corners to generate speed that it will really matter.

bombsaway86

• Rep: 164
« Reply #4644 on: February 26, 2022, 09:56:34 PM »

If it’s a glassy new park and you’re just learning you should go for something a little grippier until you’re comfortable going fast. 97a Spitfires or OJs would be good to learn on. 56-60mm is a good size if it’s a big gnarly park.

Once you’re comfortable going fast, SPFs are good for smooth new parks. Spitfire F4 99a are good for new or crusty old parks

switchfrontshuv

• Rep: 47
« Reply #4645 on: February 27, 2022, 06:25:34 PM »
just copped the ishod black  55mms im so hyped

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4646 on: February 27, 2022, 08:23:06 PM »

Bones SPF are on another level. If I were one of those guys who lived in socal and had amazing glass-smooth parks to skate every day, I’d be on SPF exclusively.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4647 on: February 27, 2022, 08:45:05 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bones SPF are on another level. If I were one of those guys who lived in socal and had amazing glass-smooth parks to skate every day, I’d be on SPF exclusively.

I appreciate all of the responses. SPF’s sound fun, but I live in a really rain soaked area where the ground is totally jacked. The parks are in good shape, for the most part, but I already have my setups with venture lo’s that require real small wheels (basically need to carry them to the spot), I don’t want to set up anything else that needs to be shuttled to and fro, if I can help it.
Again thanks for all of the feedback.

Bror

• Rep: 23
« Reply #4648 on: February 28, 2022, 04:43:42 AM »
Maybe dumb question incoming.. what are people using bigger 56mm+ wheels in the classic shape for?

They seem really popular on here but I can't figure it out. Bigger wheels are generally for transition and the classic shape is for street/tech. Is it a best of both worlds thing?

I'm on big boards again and the thought of shaving some weight off with slimer wheels is tempting but learning to ride transition on them feels like it could be slippery

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #4649 on: February 28, 2022, 05:18:37 AM »
Maybe dumb question incoming.. what are people using bigger 56mm+ wheels in the classic shape for?

They seem really popular on here but I can't figure it out. Bigger wheels are generally for transition and the classic shape is for street/tech. Is it a best of both worlds thing?

I'm on big boards again and the thought of shaving some weight off with slimer wheels is tempting but learning to ride transition on them feels like it could be slippery

I’m not exaggerating when I say that about half of my little grom friends and acquaintances from the skatepark (the under-18 crowd) are skating the new 60mm Kader wheels and they’re all street rippers. Make of that what you will.