Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797515 times)

Allen. and 11 Guests are viewing this topic.

hiljentaa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 317
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #7290 on: December 19, 2023, 09:22:59 AM »

Definitely grabbing those 66s after comparing specs to my 59 Radial Fulls.

Those huge Classics are going to wear in so good. Hearteyes

JimmyFive

• Rep: 58
« Reply #7291 on: December 20, 2023, 03:02:36 PM »
Expand Quote
tried dyeing a set of radial fulls. was hoping for a lighter shade of purple but mightve put too much dye for too long. fuckkit ended up being the same colour as my car lol

[close]

car looks too sick

Hahaha bonkers, that is exactly the same colour as your car. I don't think they necessarily look bad?! Did you dye with IDye Poly? I've died a bunch of wheels with different dyes, that stuff is the best I've found. The colour will fade a touch IME. A dash of grey will darken tone as well.

DERBY

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 270
« Reply #7292 on: December 21, 2023, 12:00:47 PM »
Expand Quote
tried dyeing a set of radial fulls. was hoping for a lighter shade of purple but mightve put too much dye for too long. fuckkit ended up being the same colour as my car lol

[close]

car looks too sick

thanks dawg!

DERBY

• Rep: 270
« Reply #7293 on: December 21, 2023, 12:02:34 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

car looks too sick
[close]

Hahaha bonkers, that is exactly the same colour as your car. I don't think they necessarily look bad?! Did you dye with IDye Poly? I've died a bunch of wheels with different dyes, that stuff is the best I've found. The colour will fade a touch IME. A dash of grey will darken tone as well.

thanks for the looks! i havent heard of idye before and i’ll have a look into the grey sometime when it fades. it was royal purple rit dyemore

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #7294 on: December 21, 2023, 05:35:48 PM »

Wow!
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

pops

• Rep: 252
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #7295 on: December 21, 2023, 09:39:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Would you need to stack risers with wheels over 60mm? I've been eyeing some 64mm Dragons for my cruiser but I keep thinking is it too much...

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7296 on: December 22, 2023, 12:52:43 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Would you need to stack risers with wheels over 60mm? I've been eyeing some 64mm Dragons for my cruiser but I keep thinking is it too much...

Some others who ride the other big old skool wheels upwards of 61+ usually only use 1/8" to 1/4" and they have quite loose trucks, so it wouldn't be too bad.

On other complete old school setups, they have 1/2" risers as standard on similar size wheels and they work really well, so it depends on how your trucks are and how much you need to turn.

Making wheel wells is often a better trade off than adding too much height for risers, if you are so inclined.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

pops

« Reply #7297 on: December 22, 2023, 12:58:05 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Some others who ride the other big old skool wheels upwards of 61+ usually only use 1/8" to 1/4" and they have quite loose trucks, so it wouldn't be too bad.

On other complete old school setups, they have 1/2" risers as standard on similar size wheels and they work really well, so it depends on how your trucks are and how much you need to turn.

Making wheel wells is often a better trade off than adding too much height for risers, if you are so inclined.

Ok. I have a set of 1/8 risers and try to stick with them for now. Too much height would make it feel like riding a monster truck.

the_dangery_bois

• Rep: 64
« Reply #7298 on: December 22, 2023, 04:28:54 AM »
I had a set of oj thunder juice which are 70ish mm, and used 1/2” riser and didn’t get too much wheel bite.  I don’t worry too much with hard wheels at a park, but I’d rather be safe than sorry with soft wheels going fast.

I heard that the Paris (basically the main longboard brand) street truck has big clearance on their own. Apparently, they are made in the same factory where af1s are made. A lot of the longboard guys can use them with lower risers.

HHH

• Rep: -4
« Reply #7299 on: December 22, 2023, 09:30:53 AM »
Skating some x99 wide at the moment. They seem to be rolling really well on rougher ground, but not sure if that's because they are 54mm (I'm used to a bit smaller). They slide verry good but feel like softer wheels, they don't make any noise on smooth concrete.

What wheel would you suggest on cobblestone? I'm my city it's mainly cobble stone pavement. So far I think hard and wide such as 101 f4 wide has worked the best. Maybe because its less bouncy due to hardness and wider? Still haven't cracked it

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #7300 on: December 22, 2023, 09:40:10 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Personally I'm not planning on it.

Riding those 59 Radial Fulls on forged 144s no risers with blue 92a bushings and wheelbite isn't an issue for me so far. Will try cast plates before risers with the 66s.

This isn't my main setup, mostly for pushing around town looking for spots and long distance pushing. I do tricks on this board, but it's not my main at all.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 10:03:13 AM by hiljentaa »

pops

« Reply #7301 on: December 22, 2023, 10:10:18 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

Riding those 59 Radial Fulls on forged 144s no risers with blue 92a bushings and wheelbite isn't an issue for me so far. Will try cast plates before risers with the 66s.

This isn't my main setup, mostly for pushing around town looking for spots and long distance pushing. I do tricks on this board, but it's not my main at all.

Sounds good. I got the big wheels and put them on my Ace Classics with hard bushings + 1/8 risers. So far, feels nice but this will be my cruiser mostly.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #7302 on: December 22, 2023, 05:04:38 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

the 60s, classic shape, look fun as hell.

also, skating a board for distance is such a good time.

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7303 on: December 22, 2023, 07:49:53 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Definitely.

I already bought long ass purple tagged Shorty's for when I get um.

Wholeeeeshit!
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7304 on: December 22, 2023, 08:33:14 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

[close]

[close]

the 60s, classic shape, look fun as hell.

also, skating a board for distance is such a good time.

That's basically all I did for like 12 years. it was so fun.

One day my new roommate said "blah blah blah can you even get onto a barrier?!?!?

That's the moment I was like BACK on tricks.

I was fuckin livid and probably zooted af.
I was like wtf. I best fuckin skater you've ever spoken too DOG!
And I fuckin killed that spot to the best of my ability after my ACL "heeled" first time I went.
Sam invited me to a cool little barrier party that Tim threw. Super fun time. I miss living in the city desperate.

I'm in Boston for band practice tomorrow!!! I'm going to stay after and bomb around a while. Really test this new Duro.

Crosstown Mash from Dorchester to China Town.

Then I wanna go up the commons and look at the bomb the diagonal hell pathway.
Has these two curbs being unearthed in the middle you gotta mash through when you're crossing other paths. I found it by accident two years ago at Freedom Rally or whatever it's called now.

It's pretty fuckin intense.
I was showing off for my friends. Thought is was a normal pathway. Just diagonal.

Yo baby girl and the nerd they brought with us for some reason.
Yo watch my old ass break the sound barrier and show you I'm a fuckin SHAMAN not some lame ass hunter and definitely not a narc ass gather.

Wheeeee! Instant regret because I was going far far too fast to put a foot down on brand new 58mm ogs and these insanely crusted cracked out holes around the perimeter unsuspected granite train tracks I got to hit at an angle are coming in hot.

And this fuckin GI Joe looking mother fucker with a flat top and a gorilla build in Air Jesus' is mean mugging my ass like immediately after the curbs.

He's all red in the face holding his back regreting parking up hill in this beautiful weather.
He's refused to step 6 inches to the right into to the grass until I was shitting my pants going over the things at and right on him.

I thought he was just going tuck shoulder and brace for impact but... he blinked.

Probably cuz I was screaming like the Black PewDiePie on ig about to get cross checked by a Prius. And there was like 10000 fuckin people watching.

Probably a cop looking for a kill. But thought way too many eyes. Or they too shit their pants.

Took 5 years off my life. But it was definitely the best thing to happen that year besides getting my apartment.

I'm probably just going to bomb Bowdoin Street head back home.

I think Copley is gone  :-\

Those blocks better end up some place beautiful.

These wheels fuckin built for that shit. I'm going to do it again this year maybe. Probably take a 67 to get over two more years of rain running down that thing.

I'm super fuckin lucky I had those 58mm wheels.

Oh yeah with 66.6mm wheels
I feel like two or three Green 3 Ply risers would do it.

Maybe two Venture style and one Universal in the middle. I think universal is yellow. That'd be sick af.
That with a Green Loose trucks kit and My 6.1s. maybe throw a Green Bait and Tackle bottom bushing on just for safety sake.

Boom might just be the formula for folding space and pulling my ass into the future so can live 200 years.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2023, 09:08:10 PM by Uncle Flea »
(A)pl(E)

Uncle Flea

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #7305 on: December 22, 2023, 09:09:46 PM »
Skatebloarding is the only thing that gives me a measure of good self-esteem I think.

Graffiti Ill hate myself till the end. Music I need 10 more instruments under my belt yesterday. I'm a fuckin slob.
Skatebloarding tho.
Just rolling around makes me feel like I invented the entire universe and I got it by the kiwi. I don't care what anyone has to say against it.
It's the truth. It's power
(A)pl(E)

Sombrero

• Rep: 2
« Reply #7306 on: December 23, 2023, 01:31:04 AM »
For anything over 64mm I like the OJ Juice Cubes risers. It's 3/8" and nary a wheelbite encountered.

Mulldrifter

• Rep: 18
« Reply #7307 on: December 23, 2023, 11:37:23 AM »
Uncle Flea I love your enthusiasm ! i dont speak english as a main langage so i never know really wether you're drunk or playing with us but you're fun to read.
over 1/4 pads you have totally given up even the idea of doing ollies and pop, the thing is one meter above the ground and will stay levitating. for 66 i would still ride 1/4 and not go over.

DarkPools

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 478
« Reply #7308 on: December 23, 2023, 12:19:29 PM »

Gnarring for this effort 👌🏻
Super Champion Fun Zone

beandemon

• Rep: 181
« Reply #7309 on: December 25, 2023, 08:28:32 AM »
Expand Quote
Just setup some 59mm Radial Fulls. Not as ridiculous looking as I expected. Really excited to ride em a bit and see how they go.

Won't be on main setup, mostly for spot exploration & commuting to work.
[close]

Hell yeah.

Big wheels are the best. I love how crooks feel above 54mm. It seems like I never miss the lock in. I can smack really rounded over shit as hard as I wanna.

Lil wheels I like for jumping down shit with short runways.
I feel like I hit max velocity quicker with lil wheels.

I really hope the Funk wheel's fast.
I'm really addicted to dragons. It's because of how long your speed is held post push.

It makes it really easy to play guitar and skate. I try to do that every day that's warm enough.

No trick in the world can match writing a good song while carving.

Carving is my favorite shit on earth rn.

Flea on surf skate.

I’d probably love a surf skate. For realz, tho - carving is it. All. Everything. Sliding is for chumps.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2023, 10:28:34 AM by beandemon »

Mulldrifter

• Rep: 18
« Reply #7310 on: December 25, 2023, 08:53:22 AM »
i totally love my radial full 60mm 97a, they are huge but there is no way you skid out of nowhere even in the full rain they do not lose traction. feel like you go flying even on bad terrains this is way better than expected. first time i ride a f4 outside of 99a, i dont regret.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #7311 on: December 31, 2023, 02:48:43 AM »
I hate lock in fulls
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #7312 on: January 02, 2024, 12:21:10 AM »
Anybody tried Dial Tone? How are they comparing to the F4 standard?
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
« Reply #7313 on: January 02, 2024, 12:56:52 PM »

They are...  different.

Not to say anything bad about any other wheel, but really, if you have had the joy of Spitfire Formula Four or Bones whatever formula wheels, then nothing else really compares or is on the same level.

I have some, they roll, they are quite ok to skate, etc.

That's about it.

There are so many brands, smaller or otherwise, who all seem to get their urethane from Creative or similar manufacturers so you get a fairly even consistency of wheel, but they are still not up there like Spitfire / Bones.

Choice is yours to try them / see for yourself.

Are dialtones threaded? Anyone who has ridden them, how do they feel like compared to something like spitfire classics (non f4), and are the ones called ”round cut” something like spitfire radial shape?

They are treaded. can’t really give an opinion in regards to non f4 spits as I haven’t ridden those in a long time.  Between the 3 cuts of dial tone, round, standard, and conical, the round does seem to have more of an edge than the standard which is closer the spit classic shape (for whatever reason), but still more round than the radial shape.

Dialtones are poured at Creative so they are the same as Satori, Speedlab, Sml (99a only), and a bunch of other brands. The good news is that the 99a formula that creative does feel very similar to the classic Spitfire formula, probably as close as anything else is going to get. So if that is your thing you should be good to go.

I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1963
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #7314 on: January 02, 2024, 04:59:27 PM »

Pretty standard Creative urethane, if you're already riding F4 or Bones then there is no reason to switch over. Not as fast, not as grippy, just OK.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #7315 on: January 02, 2024, 06:49:41 PM »
so i never got around to ordering any of the newest loophole wheel drop yet, anyone give them a shot yet and have good/bad words?

toe_knee

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 219
  • Get bent
« Reply #7316 on: January 03, 2024, 05:47:53 AM »
so i never got around to ordering any of the newest loophole wheel drop yet, anyone give them a shot yet and have good/bad words?

Think they are using HLC, haven’t gotten a chance to get them, may grab a pair for a cruiser but right now I’m on a F4 kick so I’ll stick to those
You want some queso?”
Dan Drehobl to me at make a wish, while handing me a hotdog

TwisT

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1099
« Reply #7317 on: January 03, 2024, 06:17:19 AM »

rikki

• Rep: 302
« Reply #7318 on: January 03, 2024, 07:27:26 AM »

Frank and Fred

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 822
« Reply #7319 on: January 03, 2024, 08:54:15 AM »
I was a lock in sceptic but they perform as advertised. Been locking into some long 50 50s on curbs and coping.