Author Topic: Why do you film your skating?  (Read 4955 times)

tortfeasor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 341
Why do you film your skating?
« on: November 06, 2013, 10:15:25 AM »
with the exception of music, skateboarding is the only "activity/hobby/pastime" where people not even close to a professional level are constantly recording and publishing.
I am not being facetious, I love watching random edits of random people. i don't care if its a kid in a prefab skatepark trying to ollie off the end of a grind box; ill watch. I'm genuinely curious.... why do you film?

for yourself? for your friends? to get a box from theotis? impress girls?
more heaven-cruise than hell-ride.

pica

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -36
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Why do you film your skating?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2013, 10:21:19 AM »
i want to have something to look back when i'm 80 years old.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 03:25:43 PM by pica »

shark tits

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2013, 10:22:53 AM »
memories. places i've lived and friends who are no longer w/ us. also, i've got a kid in cleveland i've never met and i'm a pile so alls i'll really leave behind is some turd ass youtube footage. better than nothing, i spose.
oh and to some degree i guess ego, trying to live out my little Gall/Oyola 90s daydreams.

BraveUlysses

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 10:55:51 AM »
There's a high demand for my footy.

mattofallmatts

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -110
  • "I will not skateboard in the halls"
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 11:06:58 AM »
Clause 5.a sub section iii in my Killing Floor contract.

waterbucket

• Rep: 0
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2013, 11:11:25 AM »
BECAUSE I WILL GO FUCKING PRO. AND NYJAH WILL WANT MY NAME IN CURSIVE ON A OVERPRICED T-SHIRT.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 3340
  • Those that SLAP, can't.
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2013, 11:19:47 AM »
I've wondered about this a lot myself. I guess it's because skating is so fucking hard I want to capture the one time in my goddamn life that I might land a ________. Seems to get pretty neurotic though with skaters needing a camera on before they step on a board. Or not. What do I know?

ttching!

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 65214
  • Smilin' Mercenary
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 11:52:35 AM »
#yolo #swag

otis shredding

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 12:02:33 PM »
its cool to watch your footage of something you did in the past (or recently) and it kinda evokes that original feeling of happiness that comes after rolling away from a trick
it sucks too cause sometimes you feel like your doing a trick really smooth in your head but you watch it and its far worse than you imagined

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 12:10:02 PM »

Who is this Clause 5?

raunchyrick

• Rep: 36
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 12:53:06 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Who is this Clause 5?

Santa Clause 5, he's coming soon!

cool spot

• Rep: 28
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 01:02:48 PM »
cause making a video is fucking fun! sometimes it makes you push yourself a little more too, even if in the back of your head you know that no one will see it ever, let alone care about. getting drunk with friends and watching a skate video you made 10 years ago is pretty awesome too.

for real tho, being stoked on a trick then seeing the clip can be heartbreaking. its a nice reminder of how much you still suck.

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2013, 01:23:12 PM »
theres a feeling i think everyone gets when they first get exposed to skate videos and its a feeling of "hey, i can do this."

sure, you might not have the best camera or a fish eye and you might not know how to edit when you first start out, but i think anyone can watch a skate video and get inspired to grab a camera and go out and film your own video. i think weve all had that point where we went out and filmed for a video, even if that video was never finished and nobody ever saw it besides you and your friends, and it was because we saw a skate video and wanted to make our own.

cause making a video is fucking fun! sometimes it makes you push yourself a little more too, even if in the back of your head you know that no one will see it ever, let alone care about. getting drunk with friends and watching a skate video you made 10 years ago is pretty awesome too.

for real tho, being stoked on a trick then seeing the clip can be heartbreaking. its a nice reminder of how much you still suck.

this is spot on.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 01:25:27 PM by JB »

Justis

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 243
  • illinoying
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2013, 02:34:17 PM »
its fun to edit and rad to look back on

Rusty_Berrings

« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 02:38:59 PM »
i own a camera and a tripod and missed doing it the first 15 years of owning a skateboard. filming is generally slept on. lotsa good skaters with computer access with nothing floating around the netski.

GeorgeHanson

« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2013, 02:50:19 PM »
So I can put it on my 60" plasma and fuck bitches while I watch myself do mob kickflips.

It just makes sex better.

GAY

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2013, 02:54:23 PM »
So I can put it on my 60" plasma and fuck bitches while I watch myself do mob kickflips.

It just makes sex better.

LOL "I always blow in her during the saran wrap down a four set"

Baron Samedi

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 372
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2013, 03:21:55 PM »
I couldn't tell you what I was thinking while I was filming (I hated it), but I can tell you I sure am glad I did now after I blew my knee and can't skate as well anymore. I can watch footage and it's the same as looking at an old piece of art you made or something - it's just cool to know that you were capable of something like that in the past even if you no longer are.

tom

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 989
  • the moon rules
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2013, 04:18:01 PM »
I went from 2006-2012 without really filming much of anything. I like the idea though because you get to see what other people in different areas are about. Every scene has a different approach and different attitude that you'd otherwise never get to experience unless you physically traveled there. The Internet and online clips let you see that pretty much as it's happening. I'm a fan of people doing it
fuck you bama

layzieyez

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1484
  • Illusion Flip
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2013, 05:43:02 PM »
Now that I'm almost 40, I want to capture a few tricks just to show that I didn't just dabble and even at this age I didn't give up skating street obstacles higher than my knees, flipping my board, going fast or learning new tricks after trying the same fucking trick for over a decade. 

One thing I want say though is this.  Quit looking back on your greatest accomplishment in this skateboard life.  If you stay persistent, your greatest might be what you do tomorrow.

I document sparingly.  This is coming from someone with a background in photojournalism.  I'm the worst best videographer/photogher because I have all the tools to do it well, but I choose to actively skate more than to be hunched behind a camera.  There are sessions I wish I captured for posterity sake, but at the same time, my memories of being a part of the skating going down is more meaningful to me.

I do have some killer home movies of my kids thanks to skills I learned from documenting skateboarding.

White Owl

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 10
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2013, 06:23:37 PM »
its cool to watch your footage of something you did in the past (or recently) and it kinda evokes that original feeling of happiness that comes after rolling away from a trick
it sucks too cause sometimes you feel like your doing a trick really smooth in your head but you watch it and its far worse than you imagined

this, and also i love to film people, and making edits is even more fun.

Ronald Wilson Reagan

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -936
  • I own Malibu? I am going to fuck you.
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2013, 06:48:40 PM »
its like framing a painting and putting it on the wall. You don't have to be Picasso to do that.
I love doing something I'm proud of and watching myself do it over and over again.
I may have peaked, I may not have, but there are definitely tricks in some parts I've made that I can't do anymore, so its rad that I have it.
Plus its like, totally super awesome to hear a rad song and decide you want to skate to it.
Are you a kook? If you would say this, the answer is “YES”
I quit skating for a time due to piling out

witty pseudonym

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 42
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2013, 06:53:30 PM »
I don't, because it is not worth filming.  Some other people should do this as well. 

dask8d00d

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2013, 07:09:16 PM »
Like what most others have said, it's just cool to look back at something you did, especially if it's a particularly hard trick you really had to work for or something that just looks/feels really good. Sometimes watching my own footy gets me more hyped to skate than any other type of video

JB

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 857
  • Rusty Berrings Roll Forever
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2013, 07:10:50 PM »
I don't, because it is not worth filming.� Some other people should do this as well.�

This is the caragory I fall into these days. Even though the shitty video my friends and I made in highschool will always be fun to watch, even if the skating is so terrible that there might only be 4 different flip tricks throughout the whole thing.

landCow

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 91
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2013, 07:50:49 PM »
I don't anymore but when I did often times it was just to see how tricks looked. It was always disappointing to find out even though the trick felt good my style looked like complete ass haha. There are a few times I remember begging friends to film a trick simply because I was proud of it and wanted to keep a record of it. Even if it was just for myself.

This is embarrassing but when I first started skating and was struggling with tricks I would self film to see what I was doing wrong and how I could fix them. ahhhh simpler times.

ohtight

• Rep: 21
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2013, 08:40:45 PM »
for likes on the gram
zzz

waltercronkite

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 179
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2013, 08:50:27 PM »
I don't, because it is not worth filming.  Some other people should do this as well. 

i never did until my buddy who does "film stuff" outside of skateboarding brought his camera out with us one day and filmed some stuff. It was that day that i learned my style is complete ass. It was good that he filmed me because it helped me make some minor changes to shit i didnt realize i was doing but i never filmed since so who knows if it actually helped my style get any better.

dask8d00d

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 09:25:02 PM »

SodaJerk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1085
  • Butterscotch yo!
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2013, 01:05:02 AM »
with the exception of music, skateboarding is the only "activity/hobby/pastime" where people not even close to a professional level are constantly recording and publishing.

Your opening statement is redundant. Everybody is filming and broadcasting themselves now, baking, woodworking, mountain biking, live action role play, all kinds of shit. I've even recorded myself having sex and most of that is not considered to be "close to a professional level".