Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 364527 times)

yourbreakfsat

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 769
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #2490 on: March 07, 2022, 09:51:12 AM »
Ishod skating ventures

Ishod leaves dlx to join dlx :v

backside_frontside

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -306
« Reply #2491 on: March 07, 2022, 09:59:56 AM »
I just want to say that I set up some V-hollows yesterday and can confirm my pop increased by 17%.

SlapMcKracken

• Rep: 92
« Reply #2492 on: March 07, 2022, 12:53:44 PM »
I just want to say that I set up some V-hollows yesterday and can confirm my pop increased by 17%.

What deck are you riding and what trucks did you have before ?

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2493 on: March 07, 2022, 03:03:15 PM »
Just in general for me. I liked venture v-hollow or standards paired with PS stix boards compared to BBS. Some examples that worked well were quasi, gx1000, and WKND. I’d say that the venture hollows worked better with flatter decks and the standards worked better with steeper decks for some reason.

And BBS in general has steeper decks? AWS/ habitat are steep or mellow?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 04:11:43 PM by SlapMcKracken »

hobochimp

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 277
« Reply #2494 on: March 07, 2022, 03:57:19 PM »
Ishod skating ventures

Was wondering if anyone else noticed this. Don’t see him going from thunder to venture. Maybe he was just on someone else’s board

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #2495 on: March 07, 2022, 05:33:30 PM »
Expand Quote
Ishod skating ventures

[close]

Was wondering if anyone else noticed this. Don’t see him going from thunder to venture. Maybe he was just on someone else’s board

not to split hairs, but since i did the zoom and enhance i figured i would share my dumbass theory - everything looks super fresh, maybe built a deck at a local and they didn't have thunders??

also looks like standard baseplate if it matters

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2496 on: March 07, 2022, 06:47:41 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ishod skating ventures

[close]

[close]

not to split hairs, but since i did the zoom and enhance i figured i would share my dumbass theory - everything looks super fresh, maybe built a deck at a local and they didn't have thunders??

Pros riding brands that they aren't sponsored by?! What's next?!

Fire and brimstone coming down from the skies! Rivers and seas boiling!
Forty years of darkness! Earthquakes, volcanoes...
The dead rising from the grave!
Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... MASS HYSTERIA!
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

iw0

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 505
« Reply #2497 on: March 07, 2022, 07:04:54 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ishod skating ventures

[close]

[close]

[close]

hey now, don't be trying to ruin my national lampoon presents: ishod's european vacation fun

IpathCats

« Reply #2498 on: March 07, 2022, 08:04:16 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Ishod skating ventures

[close]

[close]

[close]

I'm LITERALLY shaking over here.

It 100% does

maggot cunt

« Reply #2499 on: March 08, 2022, 01:09:36 AM »

It 100% does
[/quote]

but are they hi’s or lo’s tho  ::)

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2500 on: March 08, 2022, 03:00:52 AM »
Ok, i wanted to Skate AWS and habitat boards next with my new venture hi‘s, cause I thought most of these decks have a 14“ wb, but found out the shop I’m buying from messed up almost all the measurements and most have  longer wheelbases.

So I probably get a GX with a 14 or 14.1 wb.
What other brands share the same shape as gx? 

What decks are you riding with hi ventures? 

El Freegano

• Rep: 217
« Reply #2501 on: March 08, 2022, 03:12:09 AM »
Last year i had v-hollows on a dlx deck with 14 wb that worked perfect. I also sk8ed them on a deck with 14.25 with steep kicks that made me ghost pop for some tricks. In the past i was skating a lot the lows on of 14 wb decks with mellow kicks and that were probably my best skate period.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2502 on: March 08, 2022, 03:37:00 AM »
It’s just really not that easy to get decks from 8.0-8.125 with 14 wb that often that come with fuller noses and that don’t have too steep kicks.

FA/Hockey would just be perfect if they weren’t that steep.
Always 14“ wb with 8-8.2 decks

JugeL

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 301
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2503 on: March 08, 2022, 03:40:02 AM »
It’s just really not that easy to get decks from 8.0-8.125 with 14 wb that often that come with fuller noses and that don’t have too steep kicks.

FA/Hockey would just be perfect if they weren’t that steep.
Always 14“ wb with 8-8.2 decks
Real full SE

IpathCats

« Reply #2504 on: March 08, 2022, 04:20:14 AM »
The twin tail is 14.4, Bobby and ishod skate venture/thunder, doesn't bother them

IpathCats

« Reply #2505 on: March 08, 2022, 04:39:13 AM »
The twin tail is 14.4, Bobby and ishod skate venture/thunder, doesn't bother them

Maybe we should just train to transcend the limits of long wb boards on long wb trucks. There's clearly something to it. Bobby and ishod are at the top of their game.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #2506 on: March 08, 2022, 05:17:25 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Maybe we should just train to transcend the limits of long wb boards on long wb trucks. There's clearly something to it. Bobby and ishod are at the top of their game.

Carl Aikens new shape has a 14.5” wb, he skated ventures. Just saying.

Idk

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 315
« Reply #2507 on: March 08, 2022, 06:19:07 AM »
On Insts Ishod said they didn’t have Thunders at the shop.

Fooj

• Rep: 188
« Reply #2508 on: March 08, 2022, 06:43:04 AM »
I really dont think its as simple as just getting a short WB for V hi's. You need a longer tail to counter the height and "heavy" venture pop.
A 14 wb with a 6.5" tail and hi's is still going to feel heavy and most-likely give you ghost pop, same as what would happen with a 14.25.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2509 on: March 08, 2022, 06:45:29 AM »
I really dont think its as simple as just getting a short WB for V hi's. You need a longer tail to counter the height and "heavy" venture pop.
A 14 wb with a 6.5" tail and hi's is still going to feel heavy and most-likely give you ghost pop, same as what would happen with a 14.25.

So which brands are the perfect venture hi‘s match is the big question ? 🤔

Ok

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #2510 on: March 08, 2022, 07:00:39 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

There isn’t such a thing.
Again, using a highly talented professional: Aikens was supposedly skating the girl shape with the shortest tail (6.3), with venture hi’s, and he definitely doesn’t look labored with his pop.
I really enjoy reading people’s opinions on here, so I’m not attempting to shit on anyone for posting theirs, I personally don’t believe there are magic combinations of wb truck brand etc equals hward sk8r.
Riding something that gets me stoked to get out there and skate is the key for me, I’m gonna have a hard time no matter what

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -306
« Reply #2511 on: March 08, 2022, 07:06:30 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

What deck are you riding and what trucks did you have before ?

Currently riding a Quasi 8.125 x 31.75 x 14.125. Was riding standard ventures highs (5.2 width I think, whatever is for 7.75-8.125), stock bushings and stock tightness. And before that, I sakted Krux for many years (kook me if you want lol). I try not to overthink the wheelbase. More concerned with overall board length and shape of the nose/tail.

Noble Experiment

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 284
« Reply #2512 on: March 08, 2022, 07:07:48 AM »
This. So many people put emphasis on ventures being paired on a board with a short wb but not too many people take into effect other things such as the length of the tail, how steep the tail is, fingers of flat, the overall length of the board in comparison to the wb, etc.
A 14 inch wb board with a super steep tail with only like one finger of flat on the tail is probably gonna take more effort to pop with ventures and give you way more ghost pop than a 14.5 wb board that has a super flat tail with like three and a half fingers of flat on the tail.

SlapMcKracken

« Reply #2513 on: March 08, 2022, 07:08:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

Again, using a highly talented professional: Aikens was supposedly skating the girl shape with the shortest tail (6.3), with venture hi’s, and he definitely doesn’t look labored with his pop.
I really enjoy reading people’s opinions on here, so I’m not attempting to shit on anyone for posting theirs, I personally don’t believe there are magic combinations of wb truck brand etc equals hward sk8r.
Riding something that gets me stoked to get out there and skate is the key for me, I’m gonna have a hard time no matter what

Yeah, I feel you.

But one more question:

what would you consider a short and normal tail?

Fooj

« Reply #2514 on: March 08, 2022, 07:10:08 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
This. So many people put emphasis on ventures being paired on a board with a short wb but not too many people take into effect other things such as the length of the tail, how steep the tail is, fingers of flat, the overall length of the board in comparison to the wb, etc.
A 14 inch wb board with a super steep tail with only like one finger of flat on the tail is probably gonna take more effort to pop with ventures and give you way more ghost pop than a 14.5 wb board that has a super flat tail with like three and a half fingers of flat on the tail.

Expand Quote
[close]

The best one im currently aware of is the April 8.25 shape, I saw on another thread that it was a Primitive design, it feels like it was made for Venture. Tactics has the tail measuring super long at 6.81", which for me made the pop on Thunders and Ace feel too soft and dead. 

Once i got Venture hi's on felt great, im on my 6th in a row.  Similar general feel and skateability that i get with Thunders+6.5" tail DLX deck but with more noticeably pop overall, im guessing since im higher up with more leverage. Obviously less wheelbite too.

Ive been scoping out some decks with 6.75" tails to maybe try since theyre more common but i dont really have any reason to change right now.

Fooj

« Reply #2515 on: March 08, 2022, 07:15:02 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I feel you.

But one more question:

Talking in Tactics measurements, it seems like the dlx standard is 6.5" and some 6.625". That seems to work well with thunders, indy forged and ace.  Ive seen some decks with tails below 6.5", like 6.3" or something, i wouldnt touch those.  I think anything above a 6.7" tail is considered long. Heroin Symmetrical egg with 7" kicks seems interesting on hi's

Like others have mentioned tho, tail steepness would also matter

LewFarrell

• Rep: 140
« Reply #2516 on: March 08, 2022, 11:12:03 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]

Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

The best one im currently aware of is the April 8.25 shape, I saw on another thread that it was a Primitive design, it feels like it was made for Venture. Tactics has the tail measuring super long at 6.81", which for me made the pop on Thunders and Ace feel too soft and dead. 

Once i got Venture hi's on felt great, im on my 6th in a row.  Similar general feel and skateability that i get with Thunders+6.5" tail DLX deck but with more noticeably pop overall, im guessing since im higher up with more leverage. Obviously less wheelbite too.

Ive been scoping out some decks with 6.75" tails to maybe try since theyre more common but i dont really have any reason to change right now.

April 8.25 is definitely 6.81" tail per their website. Props to them for listing it in the product descriptions, not a lot of brands do that.

Girl/Chocolate G052 shape is also similar. 6.875" nose, 6.8" tail and 14" wheelbase.

Boog

• Rep: 201
« Reply #2517 on: March 08, 2022, 03:26:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Yeah, I feel you.

But one more question:

Primitive, April, and chocolate all have great shapes for venture.

Fooj

« Reply #2518 on: March 08, 2022, 07:54:52 PM »
that prod influence

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #2519 on: March 09, 2022, 07:28:06 AM »
This page has been nothing but praises for the stock bushings but I'm beginning to think the hardness improves the pinch and keeps the geometry as originally designed. Something about a harder pushing prevents the truck from articulating too much when locking in so you can hold it much longer, could also explain why I feel locking into tricks needs more authority and less of a gently touch. And the hardness helps with the pop out too, the James Craig tutorial on Fakie Ollie Fakie Crooked Grinds talks about how putting pressure on the bushing stores up the energy so you can get the rebound out of the grind mid ledge.

Edit: Coincidentally also rocking Ventures in the clip
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 08:30:06 AM by rocklobster »
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m