Author Topic: Guitar Thread  (Read 20473 times)

fineslime

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
Re: Guitar Thread
« Reply #390 on: March 24, 2023, 03:10:04 PM »
the ibanez semi hollows are pretty cool. i always have one on my wishlist at thomann to keep tabs on price and availability. but... for a mere hundred bucks more you'd be in the financial zone for a starcaster or guild starfire(budget edition).

also i watched and read a bunch of comparative reviews for semi-hollows for around 3-500, and gretsch seems to be universally loved. those guitars look almost like the top tier models, just have cheaper electronics that still do a good job.

personally i just fell in love with this starfire. it jus looks so cool. i love the scratchplate design:

https://www.thomannmusic.com/guild_starfire_i_dc_vintage_walnut.htm?reload=1

This video sold me on pulling the trigger when I got mine. Someone mentioned early about a time machine and kicking your own ass for selling a guitar... Welp, this would be mine.

Banned from the room

« Reply #391 on: March 31, 2023, 09:12:51 AM »
Does any one else play baritones? I love my baritone, and Ibanez RG60. Its everything I want for playing heavier styles of music. I don't need or want extra strings, so the thicker gauge strings + longer scale make it perfect. You can do lots of palm muting and fast picking on the lower strings and really dig in with your picking cause the strings are nice and taut.

From time to time. My guitar player Swid plays one of those extended scale Explorer by that brand that recently got smashed by Gibson.

Can't think of the name rn. Beautiful top. Looks like koa but it's something else.

When I grind I use my old Ibanez S. It's so sick but needs a set up. I tune drop a. Have been since like 98. That instrument somehow can handle it really well. Sounding amazing in all my releases.

What I need now is a shorter scale instrument. With a single p90 or stacked p94. Bolt on neck preferably in case I wanna swap that shit.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2023, 09:26:20 AM by Uncle Flea »

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #392 on: March 31, 2023, 03:35:46 PM »
anyone have experience with warmoth necks? any advice? or general advice for building a partscaster. thinking of getting a squier body for like 30 bucks and just building the best guitar i can out of it

cheers

Banned from the room

« Reply #393 on: March 31, 2023, 03:44:15 PM »
anyone have experience with warmoth necks? any advice? or general advice for building a partscaster. thinking of getting a squier body for like 30 bucks and just building the best guitar i can out of it

cheers

where can you get guitar bodies cheap like that? thats what i need

thanksgiving

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Rep: 214
« Reply #394 on: April 01, 2023, 01:35:14 AM »
Expand Quote

cheers
[close]

marketplace is probably the best move. just search electric guitar or squier and wait it out for a bit til someone sells a guitar their kid never used. or one that broke and they dont know how to fix it

alternatively, this isnt bad: https://www.ebay.ca/itm/256026796757?hash=item3b9c62e2d5:g:5gcAAOSwPgNkAB~5

manysnakes

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1076
« Reply #395 on: April 01, 2023, 04:30:33 AM »
Expand Quote

cheers
[close]

The used instrument store by my house has a bin where they always have a bunch of Strat bodies in various states of disrepair for $20-50 depending. I don't know if there's anything like that wherever you are, but it's definitely a thing.
This is not my SOTY. I'm telling my kids there was no SOTY for 2021

Banned from the room

« Reply #396 on: April 07, 2023, 08:19:35 AM »
thanks yall.

i gotta build two guitars. one for smashing one for playing

Banned from the room

« Reply #397 on: April 11, 2023, 07:33:20 AM »
I dropped the hammer yesterday. BJA epi LP JR in the mail!!!
Just in time too. My LP standard has post lean in the tail piece. Now i gotta pull plug and redrill that shit. Anyone ever do this before?

Banned from the room

« Reply #398 on: April 11, 2023, 02:42:43 PM »
Jericho Guitars. That's the baritone Explorer Copy i was thinking about. Fucking beautiful top.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
« Reply #399 on: April 11, 2023, 03:44:27 PM »
Speaking of Explorers, when I was young I begged my parents to get me this Hamer Slammer and they did.  They shouldn’t have though because I never committed to learning on it, and eventually traded it to my friend for his 7.5 ATM complete with Indys.  Shit deal on my part, but I did become passionately obsessed with skateboarding for the next 10 years so there’s that.

Banned from the room

« Reply #400 on: April 12, 2023, 07:47:25 PM »
Speaking of Explorers, when I was young I begged my parents to get me this Hamer Slammer and they did.  They shouldn’t have though because I never committed to learning on it, and eventually traded it to my friend for his 7.5 ATM complete with Indys.  Shit deal on my part, but I did become passionately obsessed with skateboarding for the next 10 years so there’s that.

Thats killer

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #401 on: April 12, 2023, 07:50:24 PM »

I think I like that more than a real Explorer. There’s something nasty about it.

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #402 on: April 13, 2023, 09:24:21 AM »
I recently learned that Gibson came out with the Explorer and Flying V because they saw the unusual (for the time) shape of the Stratocaster and thought “I guess guitar buyers want some fucked up shapes. Let’s make some fucked up guitars to rival Fender.”

Banned from the room

« Reply #403 on: April 14, 2023, 07:00:53 AM »
Got a guitar coming today. Wait till y'all see it

Banned from the room

« Reply #404 on: April 14, 2023, 02:23:54 PM »

Boom! This took forever to get. Now I just need to fix my other guitar and I'll have 2 to play out

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1430
  • daddy bought you a pony
« Reply #405 on: April 14, 2023, 02:54:11 PM »
hell yeah, i love white guitars and lp juniors. the coffin for it is sick, too.

hope it plays as nice as it looks!

Banned from the room

« Reply #406 on: April 14, 2023, 03:06:38 PM »
hell yeah, i love white guitars and lp juniors. the coffin for it is sick, too.

hope it plays as nice as it looks!

It's going very very well so far. I just gotta adjust the bridge height and I'm gold

fineslime

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 142
« Reply #407 on: April 20, 2023, 05:13:08 PM »
just discovered Matteo Mancuso today... he plays with such precision and oozes jazz rock fusion soul. discovered him through and Instagram reel and I've been digging deep since. his tones are perfect.

someone to definitely look out for.

Coastal Fever

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 525
« Reply #408 on: April 20, 2023, 05:33:38 PM »
Daaamn that guy is really sick!  Speaking of YouTube wizards with impeccable tone, I love watching this dude’s videos;

rawbertson.

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 691
  • yo yo, yo yo yo yo
    • my youtube avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #409 on: April 25, 2023, 08:06:16 AM »
man guitar shit is expensive
i figured out how to hook up my 15w guitar amp + my 30w bass amp together and it actually sounds really sick like that. dont have a bass player will just be me and my friend so i figured might as well use it. i was watching a video of Japandroids a 2 man band from BC and the guitarist had a huge wall of amps, that gave me the idea.

was like "man i could upgrade both to like 50w versions of each for like $700" lol it is so easy to go down that rabbit hole realll quick. i suppose i would get some trade in value on those old ones too though. but that is still quite a bit of money to throw down for me right now and i am hardly ever turning these past volume 3.

heres what it sounds like:

https://youtube.com/shorts/noatM93vQl0?feature=share

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
« Reply #410 on: April 30, 2023, 12:25:17 PM »
Not mine but spotted at a show last night:

Banned from the room

« Reply #411 on: April 30, 2023, 04:56:31 PM »
Cut all the bass tracks today on demos. Software is crazy. I'm like a 4 - 32 track person. It's cool tho.

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #412 on: May 01, 2023, 12:33:32 AM »

actually my plan for a pedalboard as well!

Banned from the room

« Reply #413 on: May 01, 2023, 03:44:52 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

actually my plan for a pedalboard as well!

I'm biting that shit

Andmoreagain

• Rep: 52
« Reply #414 on: May 01, 2023, 08:42:29 AM »
thats really clever but I feel it would tip over no? Easy enough to add a third offset brace I guess

Plan9Customs

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 540
« Reply #415 on: May 01, 2023, 07:09:22 PM »
If you look close at the pic the trucks are set so it’s triangulated. So no on the tipping over. Kid had a brain on him.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #416 on: May 06, 2023, 02:04:33 PM »
Just scored an MIJ squier strat for 50 bucks at a yard sale. E6 serial, so its a 37 year old guitar. Other than a scratch, its clean clean clean lake placid blue. Sounds reallllly nice and the neck is sexy as can be. Super stoked. Compared to the artcore ive been playing the quality of the whole guitar is night and day. Ive got a 90s MIM HSS that i kind of don’t like, its just too hot and ive beeen contemplating making it a traditional SSS but this MIJ takes care of that

Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

Frank

• Mods
  • SLAP Pal
« Reply #417 on: May 06, 2023, 02:07:01 PM »
Just scored an MIJ squier strat for 50 bucks at a yard sale. E6 serial, so its a 37 year old guitar. Other than a scratch, its clean clean clean lake placid blue. Sounds reallllly nice and the neck is sexy as can be. Super stoked. Compared to the artcore ive been playing the quality of the whole guitar is night and day. Ive got a 90s MIM HSS that i kind of don’t like, its just too hot and ive beeen contemplating making it a traditional SSS but this MIJ takes care of that

wow, those things go for a lot nowadays! last time i checked reverb, which is overpriced anyways, those 80s squiers were from 600-1000 bucks.

IUTSM

• Trade Count: (+20)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1426
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #418 on: May 06, 2023, 02:14:10 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

wow, those things go for a lot nowadays! last time i checked reverb, which is overpriced anyways, those 80s squiers were from 600-1000 bucks.

No kidding. I knew the MIJ are good, perhaps better squiers than 90s standard MIM strats, but I didn’t realize they were valuable! Regardless, im happy to have it to play around with. I was thinking i may have had to take it apart to check electronics but its not going to be necessary. Got a nice tweed case at the junk shop for 20-30 bucks a while back thats needed a guitar. Sorry. Not trying to boast or gloat, just hyped on an $80 80s fender and hardcase.

Only found it cuz i was teaching my
Partner to drive stick shift on a street instead of parking lot for the first time. What a day!
Well-defined ambiguity, I'm already on somebody's list as a casualty

manysnakes

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #419 on: May 06, 2023, 02:16:59 PM »
I think that anything Fender which was made in Japan now carries a certain cache. Congrats on that score, that’s a goddamn keeper.