Author Topic: New Balance # containment thread  (Read 798038 times)

Smartass

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 46
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: New Balance # containment thread
« Reply #1380 on: October 21, 2019, 07:45:06 AM »
Expand Quote
How would the numeric models rank in regards to heel support? Constantly troubled with heel bruise, so this is the most important factor for me when choosing shoes. Tried the 913, which were great but a bit too pricy for me, so probably won't go for them again. Looking at 440, 288, 306 models and wondering if they would be as good as 913s? Trying them is impossible, since i can only order online.
[close]

this covers a couple of the models youre asking about
http://www.slapmagazine.com/index.php?topic=103488.msg2946599#msg2946599

the heel support/cushion on the 440s is perfect

Hey Art, you got a write up for the 379 and 306 coming anytime soon?

tnka

• Rep: 0
« Reply #1381 on: October 21, 2019, 11:06:14 AM »
Expand Quote
How would the numeric models rank in regards to heel support? Constantly troubled with heel bruise, so this is the most important factor for me when choosing shoes. Tried the 913, which were great but a bit too pricy for me, so probably won't go for them again. Looking at 440, 288, 306 models and wondering if they would be as good as 913s? Trying them is impossible, since i can only order online.
[close]

Thanks mate, will give the 440s a try.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -1042
  • Slap's Resident Sneakerhead
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1382 on: October 28, 2019, 01:31:37 PM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.
Tate is one of the best posters that's not me

Freight Train

« Reply #1383 on: October 29, 2019, 07:58:39 AM »
^Fuckin sick photo. Dude can tweak a switch heel

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #1384 on: November 01, 2019, 05:24:29 PM »
Just got some 420s I bought on sale from Tactics. I was aware that they were sized big but some of the reviews pointed to them being too tight when sized down a half step and I was planning on putting fat insoles in them so I went for the size that fit me in the 868.

Big mistake. They are still almost a quarter inch longer than the 868s or Nikes of the same size and even with the fat insoles the toebox is way too voluminous.

They seem like decent shoes, less structured than the 868 but the sole padding feels slightly nicer. I’d prefer a bit more heel drop and I’m not sure why they went full synthetic but it’s really a much cleaner and slimmer shoe than pictures indicate.

Might try a half size down although I’m bummed about eating a shipping cost.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 05:31:53 PM by Willie »

Eds_gallerist

« Reply #1385 on: November 02, 2019, 12:23:31 PM »
Same happened to me. Ordered the size I have in 533's which wasnt a good idea. The toe box is quite roomy and couldn't skate them. Debating on ordering a smaller paar again. No local carries them unfortunately...

DCLOVE

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -492
« Reply #1386 on: November 03, 2019, 03:33:50 PM »
Was there ever any info on those slip ons Jake Hayes has had a bunch of footage in? I feel like NB could make a pretty solid slip and possibly the mythical cupsole slip on.
PINE 2009, 2010, 2011, 2020, PINE STILL MAKIN' MONEY.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1387 on: November 03, 2019, 11:30:56 PM »
Ethan Bubblegum Tate - Captain of the Harlem Globetrotters, lecturer of Physics at Globetrotter University.

Bubblegum Tate

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1388 on: November 04, 2019, 10:27:31 AM »

jay_nev

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1389 on: November 04, 2019, 10:56:16 AM »
top down reminds me of the reebok club c. which is a good thing

HugeBodBoyle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 690
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #1390 on: November 04, 2019, 11:24:43 AM »
Just ordered some 440's this morning. I wear 11.5 in Vans, so I am hoping this works.

Very interested in living that Tom Knox lifestyle. Minus the Indys.

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #1391 on: November 05, 2019, 05:44:24 PM »
Knox deserves a real pro shoe. Dude skates like a dream for sure.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #1392 on: November 05, 2019, 08:07:29 PM »
Really liking my 212’s. First time skating anything but a dunk in a while. I got them because I wanted to have a pair of quality vulcs.

I really want to try the 440’s now because I’m more of a cupsole dude. I’m gonna ask my shop to order me a pair. I should get the same size as a dunk right? I got a .5 size down for these 212’s and they are perfect.

I’m digging the quality for sure. They seem really well made and there is a nice attention to detail. The aglets on my pair are very nice for example.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

professor pound cake

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1393 on: November 05, 2019, 09:47:04 PM »
hey pals anybody try the 306 yet?

shanom

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 245
« Reply #1394 on: November 05, 2019, 09:55:50 PM »

shanom
yup, ill post a pic and do a write up tomorrow.

professor pound cake

• Rep: 4
« Reply #1395 on: November 05, 2019, 10:27:24 PM »
Expand Quote

shanom
[close]

Awesome, thanks pal I look forward to it!

shagom

rubbery vagina

• Rep: -51
« Reply #1396 on: November 06, 2019, 08:17:43 AM »
As much as I love the quality of materials in NB#, a more flexible cupsole with a pointier toe cap performs better. I can skate just fine in 533s,440s,913s with so much grip that lasts ages, but don't have the same precision as say a nike team classic, a garbage shoe in terms of quality but skates well while it lasts.

NB should make a 306 with a simple cupsole and steal that cup with boardfeel marketshare from nike

cricketclub

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 511
« Reply #1397 on: November 06, 2019, 08:33:02 AM »
As much as I love the quality of materials in NB#, a more flexible cupsole with a pointier toe cap performs better. I can skate just fine in 533s,440s,913s with so much grip that lasts ages, but don't have the same precision as say a nike team classic, a garbage shoe in terms of quality but skates well while it lasts.

NB should make a 306 with a simple cupsole and steal that cup with boardfeel marketshare from nike

I've got weird square feet and avoid pointy toe caps at all cost which is why I'm so interested in the 440 lol. There should be options for everybody though. The 420 has a pointier toe cap.
Handsome debonair fella, Got the Mellow Yellow bezel, Black rims on the Phantom same color Dr. Pepper.

Smartass

« Reply #1398 on: November 06, 2019, 08:53:54 AM »

Sounds like the original NM288 would've been exactly what you're looking for. Or maybe consider trying the NM288S? I haven't tried the new ones yet, but I did like the sole and boardfeel I got from the original. My only complaint was that I wasn't a fan of upper that I had got mine in, and should've just stuck with a suede pair.

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1399 on: November 06, 2019, 10:21:55 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

shanom
[close]
[close]

shagom

okay, so first off ive been skating the 306 for the better part of a month. it just started snowing so indoor sesh's only for now.

im impressed with how the shoe hasnt bagged out, i think this is mainly contributed to the burly vulc and rubber underlay wrapping the front foot. i bought true to size, the rubber was firm the first day but after i never felt it again.

the gum on the sole is soft but not enough that it feels cheap or gummy, the toe bumper saw the most wear from fliptricks but felt grippy the entire time. i assume if i had a solid colored sole it wouldnt look as beat us as it is.

the mesh between the main panels works really well for breathe-ability, but also molding to my foot to avoid hot spots for kickflips. there is one starting but if this was a busenitz i would have had to shoe goo that spot a few times by now.

i believe would have ripped more laces if it werent for the mesh/panel construction. i popped the the lace on the bottom eyelet just ripped sunday for the first time.

the insoles being burly but not too thick, was a nice treat. my previous outing with nb# vulcs was with quincys and i found they were too thin and got heel bruises despite not jumping down anything bigger than a 3.

overall im super impressed with these shoe, the whole shoe felt like the old campus vulcs, which was an all time favorite.

i think im more a fan of 440's for overall fit and support, ive always been more a cupsole guy. depending where you wear your shoes down the most, the 306 might last a bit longer based on trick selection and how heavy footed you are. soles usually wear down faster than uppers for me on nb#.

end rambling.

In A Jar

• Rep: 35
    • just say null avatar image
« Reply #1400 on: November 06, 2019, 11:50:09 AM »
Great review.  I'm over a month into my first pair of 306's too and I think they are one my my fav vulcs of all time.  My only complaint is I think the 306/379 sole is less grippy than the 255 sole.  But they are still grippy enough and the shape/durability is excellent. 

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 32
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
« Reply #1401 on: November 07, 2019, 03:01:35 AM »
Really liking my 212’s. First time skating anything but a dunk in a while. I got them because I wanted to have a pair of quality vulcs.

I really want to try the 440’s now because I’m more of a cupsole dude. I’m gonna ask my shop to order me a pair. I should get the same size as a dunk right? I got a .5 size down for these 212’s and they are perfect.

I’m digging the quality for sure. They seem really well made and there is a nice attention to detail. The aglets on my pair are very nice for example.
On my 440's I went half size UP and it was perfect for me.
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Starm

• Rep: -1
« Reply #1402 on: November 07, 2019, 12:13:40 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

shanom
[close]
[close]

shagom
[close]

okay, so first off ive been skating the 306 for the better part of a month. it just started snowing so indoor sesh's only for now.

im impressed with how the shoe hasnt bagged out, i think this is mainly contributed to the burly vulc and rubber underlay wrapping the front foot. i bought true to size, the rubber was firm the first day but after i never felt it again.

the gum on the sole is soft but not enough that it feels cheap or gummy, the toe bumper saw the most wear from fliptricks but felt grippy the entire time. i assume if i had a solid colored sole it wouldnt look as beat us as it is.

the mesh between the main panels works really well for breathe-ability, but also molding to my foot to avoid hot spots for kickflips. there is one starting but if this was a busenitz i would have had to shoe goo that spot a few times by now.

i believe would have ripped more laces if it werent for the mesh/panel construction. i popped the the lace on the bottom eyelet just ripped sunday for the first time.

the insoles being burly but not too thick, was a nice treat. my previous outing with nb# vulcs was with quincys and i found they were too thin and got heel bruises despite not jumping down anything bigger than a 3.

overall im super impressed with these shoe, the whole shoe felt like the old campus vulcs, which was an all time favorite.

i think im more a fan of 440's for overall fit and support, ive always been more a cupsole guy. depending where you wear your shoes down the most, the 306 might last a bit longer based on trick selection and how heavy footed you are. soles usually wear down faster than uppers for me on nb#.

end rambling.
How's the ankle support and performance on transition?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 01:11:26 AM by Bubblegum Tate »

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1403 on: November 07, 2019, 01:53:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

shanom
[close]
[close]

shagom
[close]

end rambling.
[close]
How's the ankle support and performance on transition?
ankle support is good. not likely to roll the taping goes up high and you dont feel like youre on a platform. as for performance on transition? its a shoe, it skates well, i dont skate transition well but it works for me.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2019, 01:11:44 AM by Bubblegum Tate »

Baby on Board

• Rep: 34
« Reply #1404 on: November 07, 2019, 11:03:58 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

440 might be the most perfect shoe. Especially leather with a suede toe cap! Last for months

Willie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 307
« Reply #1405 on: November 08, 2019, 07:24:15 AM »
Does the 440 have the same amount of midsole cushioning as the 913?

I'm not having much luck with NB. Bought the 868 but was really disappointed by the sole cushioning. The heel cushion isn't great and the forefoot is non-existent.

Finally got a 420 in my size but there is a weird ridge near my big toe and there are cutouts in the strobel (for flexibility?) that give me pressure points on the ball of my foot through the insole.

I just want a shoe with a soft midsole like my beloved Reynolds Low that I can supplement with an aftermarket insole. Might try a 913. Should I go with my 868 size?

art hellman

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1186
« Reply #1406 on: November 08, 2019, 08:42:19 AM »
^^ i'd say try the 440 or the 533 v2 before the 913. 

To me, the 913 feels alot more like the 868 - i.e. more athletic-like fit than a skate-shoe fit. 

The 440 is a perfect cupsole from people coming from a vulc/still want boardfeel, but the 533 v2 might be the most comfortable of all the #NB shoes in terms of cushioning

hardly art, hardly starving

pointandclick

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1407 on: November 08, 2019, 10:20:43 AM »
440 is supportive/well cushioned with out feeling "too much"
868 is a good feeling of having more padding, but bordering on too athletic
but ill add i didnt find the 913 to be better than the 868, if anything it felt stiffer.

Smartass

« Reply #1408 on: November 08, 2019, 10:24:50 AM »
Does the 440 have the same amount of midsole cushioning as the 913?

I'm not having much luck with NB. Bought the 868 but was really disappointed by the sole cushioning. The heel cushion isn't great and the forefoot is non-existent.

Finally got a 420 in my size but there is a weird ridge near my big toe and there are cutouts in the strobel (for flexibility?) that give me pressure points on the ball of my foot through the insole.

I just want a shoe with a soft midsole like my beloved Reynolds Low that I can supplement with an aftermarket insole. Might try a 913. Should I go with my 868 size?

I say with the 420's swap the insole to a set of FP's or something with a better cushioning under the balls of your feet. I tried skating them with the stock insole, and it sounds like you were having the same issue I was with ball foot pain.

Mind me asking how long you been using the 420's for? The material has been known to stretch a bit to be super comfy after a couple of wears/sessions. The 2nd pair I bought I went a half size down because the first one stretched out to the point where my feet were sliding all over the place in the shoe. That 2nd pair was really snug at first, but after a couple days of use they stretched out perfectly.

^^ i'd say try the 440 or the 533 v2 before the 913. 

To me, the 913 feels alot more like the 868 - i.e. more athletic-like fit than a skate-shoe fit. 

The 440 is a perfect cupsole from people coming from a vulc/still want boardfeel, but the 533 v2 might be the most comfortable of all the #NB shoes in terms of cushioning

I haven't tried a pair of 440s yet so, comment on how they feel, but Art is right on the money of how the fit is on the 913 and the feel of the 533v2.

os89

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1182
« Reply #1409 on: November 08, 2019, 10:38:38 AM »
Might have been asked before but, how does NB come up with the numbers/names for their shoes? Any rhyme or reason to it?