Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 363837 times)

chappers

Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #870 on: June 18, 2020, 02:07:09 AM »
i tried sifting through this thread and using the search function but i didnt get anything - do we have a definitive height for low cast and low forged? everywhere lists both as 48mm but surely theyre not the same. do forged come in at 47?

Slayer666

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: -30
« Reply #871 on: June 18, 2020, 03:55:54 AM »
So what’s up with the way the metal feels compared to thunder Indy or ace

sadnocomply

• Rep: 144
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
    Silver Topic Start Silver Topic Start : Start a topic with over 5,000 replies.
« Reply #872 on: June 18, 2020, 07:25:01 AM »
it feels like metal

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #873 on: June 18, 2020, 07:59:04 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
They gotta break. The plastic tops need to be cracked up

Stock is the best with a flat washer.
[close]
Got some stocks headed your way tomorrow big dawg
[close]

Yes!!! You rule
[close]
shit you love to see

Assflea  you are nearby me I’m down in Providence I got some extra bearings I’ll send your way i know you  said you always look for them to clean up and pass on

Most definitely interested. Most grateful I'll message
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Slayer666

• Rep: -30
« Reply #874 on: June 18, 2020, 08:46:43 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
it feels like metal
well fuck now I’m definitely not buying a pair

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #875 on: June 18, 2020, 08:58:48 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
it feels like metal
[close]

To me, feels most similar to thunder. This has to be my bullshit, but venture have the hardest feeling metal, on concrete, to me. Ace would be the softest. Once you get going, get into the hanger it not nearly as different, so maybe it’s the shape of the hanger? Venture are dope, and really durable.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1962
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #876 on: June 18, 2020, 09:13:47 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
it feels like metal
[close]
[close]

To me, feels most similar to thunder. This has to be my bullshit, but venture have the hardest feeling metal, on concrete, to me. Ace would be the softest. Once you get going, get into the hanger it not nearly as different, so maybe it’s the shape of the hanger? Venture are dope, and really durable.

Agreed, Ventures definitely grind hard and bite back into the ledge, which some people might love or hate. Last pair of trucks I rode extensively were the Tensor Maglight, super soft and they glide across the ledge. The metal is so soft it feels like the ledge is slicing into the hanger.

Also, that pinch can't be beat, especially on the Lo versions, would love to try the 5.6 in a Lo.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

RichardBarkley

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -768
« Reply #877 on: June 18, 2020, 12:03:14 PM »
Anyone have experience with Hockey decks and venture los?

Wondering how the square shape and odd kicks interact with the ventures.

Thinking of getting this one and pairing with my 5.2 Los

• Width 8”
• Length 31.66”
• Wheelbase 14”

https://www.slamcity.com/products/hockey-8-donovon-piscopo-skull-kid-skateboard-deck-blue
I want to fight you so badly richard
Please give me your address ill make it my life goal to punsh your face in

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #878 on: June 18, 2020, 12:23:17 PM »

• Width 8”
• Length 31.66”
• Wheelbase 14”

https://www.slamcity.com/products/hockey-8-donovon-piscopo-skull-kid-skateboard-deck-blue

I haven’t had any of the newer stuff with venture lo’s. I had one of the split stains when it was ps, worked ok. For me, ventures work better when the board is less steep, and the fa/hockey stuff tends to be steep. I’m sure it’d be ok, fun, whatever.

sadnocomply

• Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #879 on: June 18, 2020, 01:15:11 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
it feels like metal
[close]
nah grab a pair you won’t be disappointed, best switch I made to my skating in the past year. I was an indy guy, now I’m balls deep in 4 pairs of ventures and like 6 venture shirts. Best marketing with the OG 90’s logos

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #880 on: June 18, 2020, 02:36:59 PM »

• Width 8”
• Length 31.66”
• Wheelbase 14”

i switched from Indy to Venture about a year ago and have rode 3 Quasi's in that time.  they all have big square-ish steep noses & i love how they feel.  admittedly it took me a minute to get used to nollie tricks, or really anything where i pop off the nose, but otherwise its been a great combo for me.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 400
« Reply #881 on: June 18, 2020, 06:07:22 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
it feels like metal
[close]
[close]

[close]

Agreed, Ventures definitely grind hard and bite back into the ledge, which some people might love or hate. Last pair of trucks I rode extensively were the Tensor Maglight, super soft and they glide across the ledge. The metal is so soft it feels like the ledge is slicing into the hanger.

Also, that pinch can't be beat, especially on the Lo versions, would love to try the 5.6 in a Lo.
Really liked the maglights I had last year but I 100 percent had a decent crook groove in a week.

spanyard

• Rep: 77
« Reply #882 on: June 18, 2020, 07:21:55 PM »
Anybody got a plug for some 5.8 tit’s? Can’t for the life of me find a pair online for around the retail price of US $75.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 07:25:37 PM by spanyard »

spanyard

« Reply #883 on: June 18, 2020, 07:30:34 PM »
 Come to think of it, I think there is a drought online stateside of hollows, titanium’s, and lights in either 5.6 or 5.8 currently.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2020, 07:32:48 PM by spanyard »

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #884 on: June 18, 2020, 07:36:54 PM »
Anybody got a plug for some 5.8 tit’s? Can’t for the life of me find a pair online for around the retail price of US $75.

I swooped the last set on tri-star earlier today for 62 with a promo code. Took forever to find, hopefully they're more readily available next season. Even before this they weren't that easy to find.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #885 on: June 18, 2020, 08:19:55 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I swooped the last set on tri-star earlier today for 62 with a promo code. Took forever to find, hopefully they're more readily available next season. Even before this they weren't that easy to find.

35th has some showing on stock on their site. I’d probably be super stoked on the ti, in the 5.8: once trucks go past 8.25” it’s more of a struggle for me. I’ve got brand new 5.8 cast. Love the cast plate. Stoked on the trucks in general actually.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #886 on: June 18, 2020, 08:37:28 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

35th has some showing on stock on their site. I’d probably be super stoked on the ti, in the 5.8: once trucks go past 8.25” it’s more of a struggle for me. I’ve got brand new 5.8 cast. Love the cast plate. Stoked on the trucks in general actually.

Hear hear, vanilla 5.8 (the Worrest ones) are too heavy for my liking, my next setup is going to be 5.8 Ti.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #887 on: June 18, 2020, 08:39:57 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

Hear hear, vanilla 5.8 (the Worrest ones) are too heavy for my liking, my next setup is going to be 5.8 Ti.

Got the same Worrest ones. They beast. I’m just gonna try and muscle up. I think I’m going to try and find a bigger board actually. Heard the price point anti hero’s are flat.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #888 on: June 19, 2020, 04:29:46 AM »

• Width 8”
• Length 31.66”
• Wheelbase 14”

Riding FA/Hockey decks with 5.2s, although high ones... loving them, but I'm trash, sooooo... just try?

spanyard

« Reply #889 on: June 19, 2020, 06:02:58 AM »

Thanks friend!  I swooped a pair up. Now I've got a question about frankenstein-ing hangars and baseplates: 

SLAP advice and the covid got me slowly weaning off the Iron Cross: I currently ride 5.6 v-lights on my 8.12 primitive and worrest 5.8 casts on my 8.25 biz&co.  I think I recall reading not too far back that if I rode the v-lights hangars with the cast plates I'd have a shorter more responsive wheelbase? I got lazy and never messed around.  So now I'm getting these tit's; should I replace the gold plates with my 5.8 cast ones?  What would be the benefit?  Would I want to tap out the kingpins as well for the weight? 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 06:15:27 AM by spanyard »

spanyard

« Reply #890 on: June 19, 2020, 06:08:46 AM »
Also for the reason stated above this has become my most cherished thread on here.  I gotta say, I love the grind and loosey-goosey carve of Indy's, but ghost popping and instability of landing tricks at speed or wobbly loose feel on hills were a drawback.  With Ventures, I love not having to concentrate on the pop so much, and the stable, locked in pinching/carve has helped my balance in riding away from my tricks.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 06:24:11 AM by spanyard »

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #891 on: June 19, 2020, 06:25:47 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Thanks friend!  I swooped a pair up. Now I've got a question about frankenstein-ing hangars and baseplates: 

SLAP advice and the covid got me slowly weaning off the Iron Cross: I currently ride 5.6 v-lights on my 8.12 primitive and 5.8 casts on my biz&co.  I think I recall reading not too far back that if I rode the v-lights hangars with the cast plates I'd have a shorter more responsive wheelbase? I got lazy and never messed around.  So now I'm getting these tit's; should I replace the gold plates with my 5.8 cast ones?  What would be the benefit?  Would I want to tap out the kingpins as well for the weight?

Sick! supporting the good people!

Cast plates feel better to me, just used to em. Venture cast plates and solid kingpin are heavy, even my 5.0 lo’s feel heavy. I believe that the talk from the trucks/wb thread was cast extends the axle to axle +3.25”, and forged +3.5”, that’s from meme out and mine is shaky at best.
I’ve been in a more ‘make do’ mood, and have been just riding whatever. Sometimes it works, sometimes no. Still struggle with 360 flips when I ride a board that’s an otherwise more comfortable width. All to say, you can switch the stuff out, and sometimes keeping stuff as is leads to an adjustment that helps you. Im not sure why I’m writing this, as though it’s enlightening, it’s obvious stuff. Changing kingpins is a hassle, to me. If venture made a cast hollow, I’d buy it, maybe. All cast feel good.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #892 on: June 19, 2020, 10:10:56 AM »
Energy Skateshop had a decent selection on their we store a few weeks ago when I got the 5.6 prods. Full retail though

sadnocomply

« Reply #893 on: June 19, 2020, 01:00:27 PM »
For the recent who have been asking, I have been running 5.6 tit hangers with cast plates/kingpins. No problems whatsoever. In fact, this is the best truck combo I have ever had in my life. Basically the same height/weight (53.5mm tall & 330-335g per truck) as when I skated indy tits but dare I say better. More stability, better pinch, more kingpin clearance, feel better about DLX than NHS, etc.

Would 1000% try the 5.8 tits on cast if I ever see some around.

Esmith5488

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #894 on: June 19, 2020, 01:18:24 PM »
For the recent who have been asking, I have been running 5.6 tit hangers with cast plates/kingpins. No problems whatsoever. In fact, this is the best truck combo I have ever had in my life. Basically the same height/weight (53.5mm tall & 330-335g per truck) as when I skated indy tits but dare I say better. More stability, better pinch, more kingpin clearance, feel better about DLX than NHS, etc.

Running the same combo and can confirm. Ideal venture combo in my mind

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #895 on: June 19, 2020, 02:34:35 PM »
What do you guys like better about the cast plates than the forged? I've asked this before I'm pretty sure but more opinions would be nice.

Ok

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #896 on: June 19, 2020, 02:57:08 PM »
What do you guys like better about the cast plates than the forged? I've asked this before I'm pretty sure but more opinions would be nice.

For me it’s some weird, almost textural type shit: cast has a sound, and dampening quality, that feels more ‘solid’ to me. Which is, I believe, the opposite of the truth, as I’ve read that forged are supposedly stronger. Forged can sound ‘tinny’, cheap, rattle, although I notice this much more with thunder forged hollows (good truck, cast feel way better to me). The weight doesn’t bother me too much, and during grinds (where I am truly shit), the weight feels helpful.
Some people like the height of cast more, I do, but only with the lo’s, otherwise I don’t notice too much or care.
The forged extend the wheelbase more. I didn’t notice, my forged ventures are 8” and boards in that size don’t feel weird for me, unless I’m skating for around.

l1ll1ll1

• Rep: 56
« Reply #897 on: June 19, 2020, 03:12:05 PM »

After riding forged baseplates (Indys, then Ventures) for over a year, I stepped on a deck I set up for a friend, with my older Indy standards. Felt super weird, kind of dull, dampened, didn't feel the deck+street as good. Maybe this is something that someone who is used to cast baseplates would say is an advantage.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #898 on: June 19, 2020, 07:20:29 PM »
First session back from lockdown and I paired Venture 5.8 Titanium with a Primitive 8.25 x 31.875 x 14. Could be time off the board but the setup felt way too light and tippy. I had a 17.42" wheelbase which where I thought I liked it. The trip to the park took me 45 minutes (25 minutes by bus, 20 minutes walk), rained out in 15 minutes and I rolled my ankle slightly trying to force a kickflip before the rain started getting heavy.

Not ready to give up on this board yet so I'll switch out to some 5.6 V-Hollow, hopefully the added weight and slight WB extension make for a better session tomorrow. I had success with 1 8 x 32 x 14 setup with 5.2 V-Hollow Lo, I think there is a limit to how light trucks can get before they lose the heftiness that gives you a solid pop. 14.25 seems to preferred WB for most boards and with good reason.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #899 on: June 20, 2020, 06:21:33 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]
Running the same combo and can confirm. Ideal venture combo in my mind

x3!  i’m on cast 5.8 plates and ti hangars. for me, this is the best feeling truck i’ve ever skated
« Last Edit: June 20, 2020, 06:23:59 AM by shawngreg »