Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 364396 times)

NJFly318

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 3
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #1350 on: October 28, 2020, 06:32:10 AM »
I'm sure it's already been covered pages back, but has anyone swapped out their stock bushings for Bones medium bushings? I've recently started skating the 5.8s after many years of skating Indys and was wondering how much of a difference swapping the bushings would make. I'd seen Caleb McNeely running the Bones Mediums in his Ventures with no top washer and it got me curious.
I ride the 5.8 and the 6.1’s both with the Indy white Supersoft bushings, once broken in they feel real nice.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1351 on: October 28, 2020, 12:51:35 PM »
Expand Quote
I'm sure it's already been covered pages back, but has anyone swapped out their stock bushings for Bones medium bushings? I've recently started skating the 5.8s after many years of skating Indys and was wondering how much of a difference swapping the bushings would make. I'd seen Caleb McNeely running the Bones Mediums in his Ventures with no top washer and it got me curious.
[close]

Make a big difference. I preferred the DLX supercush over the bones though.

Yeah deluxe or stock Indy parts are the move.

I ride a bones top in the winter but it get destroyed because you can't fit a top washer on. I figured out that putting a few layers of super glue on the top of the plastic before you set up will help but not much.
Eventually the truck hanger will fall off when the cracked up plastic is ripped from the bushings

This year I'm just going order some thinner Ti kingpin nuts and put a washer on too.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1352 on: October 28, 2020, 06:57:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

I ride a bones top in the winter but it get destroyed because you can't fit a top washer on. I figured out that putting a few layers of super glue on the top of the plastic before you set up will help but not much.
Eventually the truck hanger will fall off when the cracked up plastic is ripped from the bushings

This year I'm just going order some thinner Ti kingpin nuts and put a washer on too.

The thinner Ti nut is great, especially on 147 Thunders where you need more clearance, bug be warned, the nut being Ti means it can get sticky on flat bars/rails just like the Tih Theeves do.

rocklobster

• Trade Count: (+18)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1964
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
    Gold Topic Start Gold Topic Start : Start a topic with over 10,000 replies.
« Reply #1353 on: October 28, 2020, 08:06:21 PM »
Anyone got a hook up for 5.2 or 5.6 Titaniums? Haven't rode Ventures in a hot minute and I want to give them another go. Loving the Thunder 148 Titanium but you can't beat the pinch or slide of a Venture.
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
STANDARD - 1.88” - 47.75mm
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

5.0 ,5.2, 5.6, 5.8 & 6.1 HI
STANDARD - 2.09” - 53.09mm
FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FredGallsBallz

• Rep: -7
« Reply #1354 on: October 29, 2020, 07:16:47 AM »
I've been a loyal Thunder 148 Team rider for the last few years and I'm pretty happy with them. How difficult will a switch to Venture 5.6 OG raws be for me? Is the height difference noticeable and is the wheel base that different between the two? I'm only thinking about it because I've got a chance to grab the Ventures at a good price. Thanks. Peace.

Boog

• Rep: 201
« Reply #1355 on: October 29, 2020, 07:46:38 AM »
That's exactly how I ride my 5.8s and I wouldn't ride them any other way.

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1356 on: October 29, 2020, 08:34:12 AM »
I've been a loyal Thunder 148 Team rider for the last few years and I'm pretty happy with them. How difficult will a switch to Venture 5.6 OG raws be for me? Is the height difference noticeable and is the wheel base that different between the two? I'm only thinking about it because I've got a chance to grab the Ventures at a good price. Thanks. Peace.

Thunder teams - + 3.15"
Venture standard - 3.25"

I think you'll be able to adjust in a session. Don't have the number for height but they are within 1-1.5mm of each other. Thunder 147 49.7mm, Venture 5.2 Lo 48.3 based on Ben Degros' video
Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

FredGallsBallz

« Reply #1357 on: October 29, 2020, 10:20:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Thunder teams - + 3.15"
Venture standard - 3.25"

I think you'll be able to adjust in a session. Don't have the number for height but they are within 1-1.5mm of each other. Thunder 147 49.7mm, Venture 5.2 Lo 48.3 based on Ben Degros' video

Thanks. I'm aware of the differences in the specs. I'm more curious about the difference in feel between the two.

ballintoohard

« Reply #1358 on: October 29, 2020, 10:22:22 AM »

I have both of these trucks and used them on the same deck. You can get used to it decently quickly and the turn isn't crazy off IMO (I run my shit stock), but for me the pinch of things on the front truck felt off with Ventures and could take longer to figure out. I also suck. To be honest the Venture 5.6 are fine, but I don't see a point if the Thunders do me well. Didn't notice shit for nose/tailslides with the longer baseplate.

Uncle Flea

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 952
    • Aural Buthcheryers avatar image
« Reply #1359 on: October 29, 2020, 11:43:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]

[close]

The thinner Ti nut is great, especially on 147 Thunders where you need more clearance, bug be warned, the nut being Ti means it can get sticky on flat bars/rails just like the Tih Theeves do.

Yeah that would suck. Everything at the new park is metal The rails are covered in this blue stuff though. It's not going to last.

I should just get some of that nylock I think it's called and flip the nut over.

I used to use black package store bags and super glue but it doesn't hold all the time.
Plz stop killing each other
(A)pl(E)

rocklobster

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #1360 on: October 29, 2020, 07:46:09 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Thunder teams - + 3.15"
Venture standard - 3.25"

[close]

Thanks. I'm aware of the differences in the specs. I'm more curious about the difference in feel between the two.

Didn't mean to be dismissive and prattle on about specs.

The biggest difference for me is pinch, the Ventures have a much wider / thicker hanger, so the pinch into ledges is much more assertive and you can adjust once its on to get a better lock in. Thunder with a narrower hanger need a much more precise lock into the edge. I definitely enjoy nosegrinds on Ventures a lot more than Thunders.

Venture Truck Height:

5.0 & 5.2 LO
FORGED - 1.85”- 46.99mm

FORGED - 2.04” - 51.82m

ricky bobby

« Reply #1361 on: October 30, 2020, 05:32:56 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]
Thanks for all the help Venture team <3

TurdyBird

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 154
  • <3
« Reply #1362 on: October 30, 2020, 09:13:24 AM »
I've been enjoying my new Ventures for the past couple months, however...

The bushings are getting tore up somehow. They still ride fine and I've only noticed when simply just looking at them. Bottom bushing on one has a significant tear and the other one has a less noticeable tear in the top. Is this usual or maybe the heat fucked em up ( there was a gnarly heat wave where I live this past month)?

Looks like I'll be getting some bones mediums or thunder mediums next time I get a new deck, but not too concerned just yet.
The chillest1

FredGallsBallz

« Reply #1363 on: October 30, 2020, 11:39:26 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Thunder teams - + 3.15"
Venture standard - 3.25"

[close]

[close]

Didn't mean to be dismissive and prattle on about specs.

The biggest difference for me is pinch, the Ventures have a much wider / thicker hanger, so the pinch into ledges is much more assertive and you can adjust once its on to get a better lock in. Thunder with a narrower hanger need a much more precise lock into the edge. I definitely enjoy nosegrinds on Ventures a lot more than Thunders.

Cool. Thanks again for the feedback.

Boog

• Rep: 201
« Reply #1364 on: October 30, 2020, 07:42:19 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
Ben Gore also uses bones mediums in his venture.

Leib, Son of Nat

« Reply #1365 on: October 31, 2020, 09:54:58 AM »
I have old bones hard lower bushings and newer bones soft top bushings (cheese grated down to about 9.8mm. Yes, I have a micrometer.) Flat washer top, no washer bottom. Turn great.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1366 on: November 01, 2020, 08:49:57 AM »
Im Looking for some feedback from anyone who's ever skated 6.1s on a 8.5, please and thank you.

Xen

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1017
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #1367 on: November 01, 2020, 04:19:05 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]
Ben Gore also uses bones mediums in his venture.

While I prefer the feeling of a barrel bottom in ventures for the stability, bones and a flat top washer really get them feeling great at the cost of being less stable (if you ride loose).
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 09:02:38 AM by Xen »

shawngreg

• Rep: 63
« Reply #1368 on: November 02, 2020, 08:44:56 AM »
Im Looking for some feedback from anyone who's ever skated 6.1s on a 8.5, please and thank you.

for a little over a week i've been fighting the urge to buy 6.1 v-lights.  i skate 8.5s also and am curious how they would feel.  i'm riding a pair of titanium 5.8s right now with riptide pivot cups and a flat top washer.  i love them, but wonder if i would like them even more with a bit more room.  i know John Dilo skates standard 6.1s on his 8.5s if thats worth anything to you

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1369 on: November 02, 2020, 08:54:53 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

for a little over a week i've been fighting the urge to buy 6.1 v-lights.  i skate 8.5s also and am curious how they would feel.  i'm riding a pair of titanium 5.8s right now with riptide pivot cups and a flat top washer.  i love them, but wonder if i would like them even more with a bit more room.  i know John Dilo skates standard 6.1s on his 8.5s if thats worth anything to you
Thanks man, I actually have never skated an 8.5. popsicle. I am moving up in board sizes and happen to have a pair of 6.1s laying around. If it works for Dilo, I'm pretty sure it won't be holding me back haha

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #1370 on: November 02, 2020, 09:19:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
Thanks man, I actually have never skated an 8.5. popsicle. I am moving up in board sizes and happen to have a pair of 6.1s laying around. If it works for Dilo, I'm pretty sure it won't be holding me back haha

I’ve tried cast 5.8s and....those are too beast for me. Love the way they look, and I have not tried them on any hills (I really think they’d be dope for this), but trying to flip em around was not gonna happen with my fat mr burns physique. The pop was dope tho. Anyways, whenever I see a Dilo flip trick out of an 8 manual combination ....his ankles must be buff as hell.

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1371 on: November 02, 2020, 10:33:06 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

I’ve tried cast 5.8s and....those are too beast for me. Love the way they look, and I have not tried them on any hills (I really think they’d be dope for this), but trying to flip em around was not gonna happen with my fat mr burns physique. The pop was dope tho. Anyways, whenever I see a Dilo flip trick out of an 8 manual combination ....his ankles must be buff as hell.
They are definitely beast for sure. I have only tried the 6.1s on 9+ shaped boards, and it hasnt worked out. I'm hoping that with the 8.5 it will flip easier for my old ass. They are way too sexy of a truck to be sitting in a shoe box collecting dust.

shawngreg

« Reply #1372 on: November 02, 2020, 11:45:44 AM »
keep us posted bro!

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1373 on: November 02, 2020, 01:04:22 PM »

BMCsteve

• Rep: 55
« Reply #1374 on: November 02, 2020, 01:19:18 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

[close]
[close]

[close]
They are definitely beast for sure. I have only tried the 6.1s on 9+ shaped boards, and it hasnt worked out. I'm hoping that with the 8.5 it will flip easier for my old ass. They are way too sexy of a truck to be sitting in a shoe box collecting dust.

6.1s on an 8.5.  Incredibly stable but I wouldnt recommend it if you skate a lot of tranny.  The venture turn with the lack of leverage from a skinnier board makes quick turns hard.  you can manual for days though

shawngreg

« Reply #1375 on: November 02, 2020, 01:34:37 PM »
really like that whole setup

jay_nev

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 306
« Reply #1376 on: November 02, 2020, 01:37:10 PM »

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1377 on: November 02, 2020, 01:46:23 PM »

jamersonbass

• Rep: 70
« Reply #1378 on: November 02, 2020, 01:47:53 PM »

I'm running some 6.1's on an 8.5 FA at the moment.  I have two other setups that have 5.8's and 5.6's on them.  I really like the turn of 6.1's.  And then offset is pretty much like riding an 8.25 with 5.8's or 149's. 

Seventyfrigginseven

« Reply #1379 on: November 02, 2020, 02:00:18 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

I'm running some 6.1's on an 8.5 FA at the moment.  I have two other setups that have 5.8's and 5.6's on them.  I really like the turn of 6.1's.  And then offset is pretty much like riding an 8.25 with 5.8's or 149's.
I have skated 8.25s with both of those trucks and liked it, so Im glad to hear that. And @BMCsteve  I am not really into tranny, but its my only choice in the 6-7 months of winter that I endure. So maybe I will just bring my fatty-boombalatty 9.5 to those sessions.