Author Topic: Venture 2020  (Read 363814 times)

jsettle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Rep: 134
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
Re: Venture 2020
« Reply #5040 on: October 27, 2023, 03:37:21 AM »
Expand Quote
Ive been having the madness alot lately and through my 5.8s back on my board, but now i skate 8.25 decks...i also ride the conical full wheels so the wheels stuck out enough for me to see them clearly looking straight down and even the whole wheels while turning. I think i may get some 5.6s just so i can get a sharper turn with the wheels more aligned/inside the deck a little more. I used to ride 8.5 decks when i was riding the 5.8s. Anyways, the first session back on them was really nice. Got alot of ledge tricks back that i lost and learned 3 new ledge tricks on them. Something about the stability of them gave me more confidence to try some new ledge tricks. What size ventures do most of yall ride with 8.25 decks? Assuming the 5.6s?
[close]

That is the most common size now, but if you want to see approximately what it looks like, just take off all the inside washers and put your wheels on right at the axles.  You don't have to skate it like that, but that is almost the same look as the 5.6 with two or three washers on the inside, compared to the 5.8 or at least it is only 5 mm difference in overall width of axle between the two.

I know some people used to do before the 8.25 trucks came out, riding the 149s / 5.8 width trucks on their 8.25 size boards with no washers on the inside or at all.  Some people would even file, grind or otherwise machine the axle ends down so they could run them with no washers at all and they often had them fit fairly well on 8.25 boards, but it is not something I would really do now, especially when you can get 5.6 sized hangers to fit more evenly.

What size Conical Full wheels are you on?  The smaller ones up to about 54mm are not too wide, but 55 or definitely 56mm and up become a lot wider.

Thanks for the info! Definitely will give the 5.6 a try. Im on 56mm conical fulls right now so pretty wide lol.

fakie nollie

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1071
« Reply #5041 on: October 27, 2023, 07:26:33 AM »
Expand Quote
Anyone know if they make a light-low in 5.8? I’ve unfortunately gotten used to thunder hollows and everything else feels like concrete boots.
[close]

5.8 V-Light Hi - yes, forged baseplate
5.8 V-Light Lo - no, nothing above 5.6 comes in a Lo

Thanks - bummer.

rikki

• Rep: 299
« Reply #5042 on: October 27, 2023, 07:41:00 AM »
Just wanted to say that I LOVE my 5.6 Hi V-Lights on a 14.25" wb deck. Tried a 14" wb deck the other day and man it messed up my pop, among other things. Was back on my normal deck today and was relieved to find that the pop and everything else was there. Somehow short wb with Ventures is not my thing at all.

Ok

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1115
« Reply #5043 on: October 27, 2023, 07:47:54 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Anyone know if they make a light-low in 5.8? I’ve unfortunately gotten used to thunder hollows and everything else feels like concrete boots.
[close]

5.8 V-Light Hi - yes, forged baseplate
5.8 V-Light Lo - no, nothing above 5.6 comes in a Lo
[close]

Thanks - bummer.

i’ve got worse news.
5.2 lo, is the largest lo size.

but, alternatively, ventures with a forged plate are a solid medium height. toss some 51s on and you are lo enough.

Rattus Localis

« Reply #5044 on: October 28, 2023, 07:47:57 PM »
New Manderson V cast hollows incoming:

I need these in my life and am getting impatient.

I'm considering buying a set of 5.6 hollows and 5.6 standards, and putting the hollow axle hanger on the cast plates. But then I was reading Brimson's comments a few pages back about differences between different runs, and I'm scared I'll get a dud match up.

I refuse to buy the Kader V-cast hollows.

tzhangdox

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 521
« Reply #5045 on: October 28, 2023, 07:56:51 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I'm considering buying a set of 5.6 hollows and 5.6 standards, and putting the hollow axle hanger on the cast plates. But then I was reading Brimson's comments a few pages back about differences between different runs, and I'm scared I'll get a dud match up.

Pretty unlikely that it's gonna be an issue, I've never had an issue with mixing/matching and I know a bunch of people who do it all the time. Though if you do that you don't get the hollow kingpin just fyi, not a big deal though

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #5046 on: October 28, 2023, 08:27:38 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I have a bunch of sets of Ventures, and have swapped parts around between them. It always works. Only stuff that wouldn't work would be old trucks.

Hollows aren't necessary though. Just get standards or V-Lights and enjoy.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 08:44:23 PM by hiljentaa »

j....soy.....

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1586
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #5047 on: October 28, 2023, 10:12:28 PM »
Yeah, I always intended of getting cast plates, dropping in a krux KP and buying hollows…..I did that with thunder…

Shalom Peterson

• Rep: 20
« Reply #5048 on: October 29, 2023, 12:04:17 AM »
It may be hard to tell, but what does that Crack under my axel mean? Am I grinding into the bucket part of the hanger? Some days the Crack is WAY more visible. I think wax gets chucked up in there.

Mbrimson88

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1038
  • Just another skate shop guy
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #5049 on: October 29, 2023, 01:26:08 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

Honestly though, I couldn't really tell the difference until someone else brought it up, more just that one seemed to overhang a lot more than another one, but they all still work fine, just needed a touch of fine tuning / bushing change up.

I don't think any current trucks would have issues though - everything Venture (all DLX really) has been Mexico now for a bit, so they are all tried and tested, everything works, etc.

I have a bunch of sets of Ventures, and have swapped parts around between them. It always works. Only stuff that wouldn't work would be old trucks.

Do you have a lot of the "other parts" sitting around?  I ask not for myself as I have too much of everything, but mainly cause some others on here might benefit from those parts.  Guessing you would have more local means to sell / pass them on to others if you don't use them at all, or you alternate and put them on other setups or something?
I talk too much about skateboards.  Sorry.

hiljentaa

• Rep: 317
« Reply #5050 on: October 29, 2023, 10:51:16 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Honestly though, I couldn't really tell the difference until someone else brought it up, more just that one seemed to overhang a lot more than another one, but they all still work fine, just needed a touch of fine tuning / bushing change up.

I don't think any current trucks would have issues though - everything Venture (all DLX really) has been Mexico now for a bit, so they are all tried and tested, everything works, etc.

Expand Quote

[close]

Do you have a lot of the "other parts" sitting around?  I ask not for myself as I have too much of everything, but mainly cause some others on here might benefit from those parts.  Guessing you would have more local means to sell / pass them on to others if you don't use them at all, or you alternate and put them on other setups or something?

I definitely have more junk than I need haha. I usually just try to give away gear to people who need it or will use it. No point in selling stuff for a couple bucks- ain't worth the hassle.

I like the fact that cast or forged plates are interchangeable with all the hangers. I've swapped parts between trucks from 2020 to current with no issues. All the same stuff.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2023, 11:13:41 AM by hiljentaa »

Trail

• Rep: 8
« Reply #5051 on: October 29, 2023, 03:54:08 PM »
Is there any hight difference between the forged baseplates and the cast on the highs?

Vexed

• Rep: 10
« Reply #5052 on: October 29, 2023, 05:15:21 PM »
Is there any hight difference between the forged baseplates and the cast on the highs?

Bout 1.5mm

Vexed

« Reply #5053 on: October 29, 2023, 05:21:12 PM »
I’ve looked through this thread and haven’t seen very much 5.2 high talk.

Do 5.2s feel much different than 5.6?  I don’t think I’d actually be able to skate the lows full time but I’m really thinking I might prefer an 8” truck.  The hanger wings do look taller / less cool than on the wider models/lows.     
Maybe I’d go forged to set ‘em a little lower to compensate?

Trail

« Reply #5054 on: October 29, 2023, 05:46:10 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]

Bout 1.5mm

Thanks

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5055 on: October 29, 2023, 08:36:46 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Bout 1.5mm
[close]

Thanks

Throughout all the big brands (and I am guessing any others that do both cast and forged) the difference is about the same, with hangers all being the same for any normal truck, just the baseplates being the different heights, eg

Venture cast about 53.5

Venture forged about 52 mm

Low trucks are in the hanger with the same baseplates for Venture and Indy at least.  Some other brands use different shapes in baseplate and kingpin geometry, or used to anyway, maybe not so much any more.

The only reason I say all this is because people have come into the shop very confused about some things like this in the past, so sorry if this is a little too much.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5056 on: October 29, 2023, 08:44:00 PM »

Do 5.2s feel much different than 5.6?  I don’t think I’d actually be able to skate the lows full time but I’m really thinking I might prefer an 8” truck.  The hanger wings do look taller / less cool than on the wider models/lows.     

Ask Ben Degros I think he rides the v light 5.2 and our lord and Savior Senior Worrest skates cast 5.2. PJ does forged 5.2 as well.

Mbrimson88

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #5057 on: October 29, 2023, 08:45:56 PM »

I do actually wonder how many people ride standard / hi Ventures in smaller sizes, but they are out there and most likely just don't comment on here that much.

There might be more talk or questions of whether a certain pro is on low or high trucks, but quite a few are on 5.2 size, with a good number on each, it would seem.

As you said, it is interesting looking at some products and thinking they are more proportionate in certain sizes than others.

The 5.2 is a little less stable on wider boards than the 5.6 but then I have bigger feet and prefer wider boards too so standing on boards I have with them is not a fair comparison.  Others find they work really well, no issues, happily skate them as they are for anything with anywhere from 50 to 54 mm wheels easily enough on 8 or 8.1 sized boards more than anything else.

GBLange

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 276
« Reply #5058 on: October 29, 2023, 10:14:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Bout 1.5mm
[close]

Thanks
[close]

Throughout all the big brands (and I am guessing any others that do both cast and forged) the difference is about the same, with hangers all being the same for any normal truck, just the baseplates being the different heights, eg

Venture cast about 53.5

Low trucks are in the hanger with the same baseplates for Venture and Indy at least.  Some other brands use different shapes in baseplate and kingpin geometry, or used to anyway, maybe not so much any more.

The only reason I say all this is because people have come into the shop very confused about some things like this in the past, so sorry if this is a little too much.

So i guess using a piece or two of used plastic card (like credit card) as a riser pad on the forged baseplate would do the trick to get the same cast height..

Nymphicus hollandicus

• Rep: 22
« Reply #5059 on: October 29, 2023, 11:24:04 PM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I do actually wonder how many people ride standard / hi Ventures in smaller sizes, but they are out there and most likely just don't comment on here that much.

There might be more talk or questions of whether a certain pro is on low or high trucks, but quite a few are on 5.2 size, with a good number on each, it would seem.

As you said, it is interesting looking at some products and thinking they are more proportionate in certain sizes than others.

The 5.2 is a little less stable on wider boards than the 5.6 but then I have bigger feet and prefer wider boards too so standing on boards I have with them is not a fair comparison.  Others find they work really well, no issues, happily skate them as they are for anything with anywhere from 50 to 54 mm wheels easily enough on 8 or 8.1 sized boards more than anything else.

You are right, smaller Venture High riders are out there! I've mentioned/gone on about it a few times in other posts and threads but I adore Venture 5.0 Highs. For 7.6" decks and 53mm wheels they are just superb. Personally, I also prefer the way they look over the Lows, they're more chunky but thats cool to me.

Part of me really wants really skinny boards to make a major comeback (however unlikely that may be!) just so more people can enjoy them and that they 100% keep getting produced in the future. I'm a little concerned at the lack of exact board width match options at the moment, quite a few 7.75" options but not many 7.6" and they pair with 5.0 Highs so well.

5.2 Highs are great too, I found them nice and stable on the last 7.875" deck I rode.

Vexed

« Reply #5060 on: October 30, 2023, 12:09:48 AM »
5.2H V-Lights and an Evisen 8” for $90 shipped on tactics sale

I guess I’ll report back.

rikki

« Reply #5061 on: October 30, 2023, 12:22:59 AM »
Any of you guys switching occasionally between Indys and Ventures? If so, how do you feel the difference? Or do you just not care?

I'm still bouncing between worlds 'cause I can't seem to decide which are ultimately better for me. 5.6 V-Lights and Indy 144s here.

Trail

« Reply #5062 on: October 30, 2023, 04:51:56 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]

Bout 1.5mm
[close]

Thanks
[close]

Venture cast about 53.5

This is perfect thanks!

backside_frontside

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -303
« Reply #5063 on: October 30, 2023, 07:34:45 AM »
5.2 Hi skater here...

I've skated 5.2 Hi > Lo >Hi (on 8 or 8.125 w/ 14 wb). Idk about forged or cast and don't bother to care about the baseplates (it honestly doesn't matter as much as y'all think it does). I can confidently say the difference is... minimal. The los do make the board noticeably lower when you first step on the board, but I adjusted to it after about 20 minutes of riding around. I went back to Hi because of the better kingpin clearance and less wheelbite. The Los look cooler but I like doing back smiths.

Thebird

• Rep: 158
« Reply #5064 on: October 30, 2023, 07:38:47 AM »
5.2 Hi skater here...

I've skated 5.2 Hi > Lo >Hi (on 8 or 8.125 w/ 14 wb). Idk about forged or cast and don't bother to care about the baseplates (it honestly doesn't matter as much as y'all think it does). I can confidently say the difference is... minimal. The los do make the board noticeably lower when you first step on the board, but I adjusted to it after about 20 minutes of riding around. I went back to Hi because of the better kingpin clearance and less wheelbite. The Los look cooler but I like doing back smiths.

I agree with this.  I find switching between Venture LOs and HIs is far easier than switching to a different brand.  Even with the different height, they still feel like Ventures - if that makes sense.

LebowskisRug

« Reply #5065 on: October 30, 2023, 08:00:43 AM »
Any of you guys switching occasionally between Indys and Ventures? If so, how do you feel the difference? Or do you just not care?

I'm still bouncing between worlds 'cause I can't seem to decide which are ultimately better for me. 5.6 V-Lights and Indy 144s here.

I've ridden and liked both. I prefer the Ventures in the end I think because the lower height and stability feel nice and the pop feel is not super far off. I go with what I skate more consistent on- not what I have like "this is better..." for a handful of small differences. That's how madness starts.

rikki

« Reply #5066 on: October 30, 2023, 08:14:37 AM »
Expand Quote

[close]

I've ridden and liked both. I prefer the Ventures in the end I think because the lower height and stability feel nice and the pop feel is not super far off. I go with what I skate more consistent on- not what I have like "this is better..." for a handful of small differences. That's how madness starts.

I know what you mean. Sometimes it's a maddening combination of feel and rational thinking. Would probably be better off with a lot less of the latter.

Usually for me, when push comes to shove, it comes down to which truck feels best when ollieing. I mean, they all turn. I can ride Ventures on transition pretty the same as Indys. The differences are more notable when street skating.

finecojeffe

• Rep: 131
    • Fine-Co avatar image
« Reply #5067 on: October 30, 2023, 08:48:49 AM »
I go between the two pretty regularly. I prefer ventures at the park as long as im not skating the bowl, and I prefer indys when I'm in the street or in the bowl. I'm on nearly identical setups otherwise, just a difference in trucks. Switching so often makes me wonder if I'd like slappy trucks based on peoples description of them feeling in between the two (more-so noted thunder instead of venture though.

Rattus Localis

« Reply #5068 on: October 30, 2023, 10:15:49 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote

[close]

[close]

Happily, I managed to find a set of V-cast hollows in my size (5.6) for a very fair price at skatewarehouse.com this morning.

These are the Skate Jawn collabs. They look sick with a polished hanger, red bushings and black baseplate. Ended up paying the equivalent of $114 AUD including shipping from the US. All the Aussie shops are charging $160 for the ugly ass Kader ones, so I'm stoked.

Shipping will take about a month, but I can revert to my 5.2s and an 8 inch in the meantime.

Didn't realise there had been so many drops of cast hollows when I made the initial post. I thought the Kaders were the first and the Mandersons, the second. That's why I was so set on getting the Mandersons, after sizing back up to 8.25 and remembering why I don't like Thunders.

P.S. Thanks to everyone who responded.

Xen

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 1016
  • too easy, we know your new handle...stop following
« Reply #5069 on: October 30, 2023, 10:38:14 PM »
I go between the two pretty regularly. I prefer ventures at the park as long as im not skating the bowl, and I prefer indys when I'm in the street or in the bowl. I'm on nearly identical setups otherwise, just a difference in trucks. Switching so often makes me wonder if I'd like slappy trucks based on peoples description of them feeling in between the two (more-so noted thunder instead of venture though.

Try royals.