Author Topic: Wheels Thread  (Read 797814 times)

Seadramon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
Re: Wheels Thread
« Reply #2010 on: August 21, 2019, 11:00:43 AM »
Expand Quote
I'm having a hell of a time deciding between keyframes and mini super juice.

I just keep bouncing back and forth - thoughts?
[close]

I love the mini super juice because they are wider and softer than other wheels like the keyframes and have held up relatively well for me (aside from the one crack, but at this point I think pretty much any super soft wheel is going to crack a little when they are that wide).

MSJ are super fast, roll over anything you could reasonably expect to roll over and aren’t suuuper bouncy like some of the non cored soft wheels I’ve tried.

I did have one set of keyframes I rode for like a week a couple years ago, but Zi honestly don’t remember much about them aside from them feeling harder than I would have expected.

This is very helpful, thanks!

Seadramon

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 230
« Reply #2011 on: August 21, 2019, 11:02:24 AM »
I have keyframes on my other cruiser and bones atf’s on other, I found myself more often on those atf’s than keyframes...I live in Finland though and flatground is rough as fuck here, when I was in Spain last march those keyframes felt like my softer wheels b/c that flatground is so nice there so...depends where you live and what type of terrain you’d be cruisin’ thru.

Very good food for thought. I'm in Canada and there are plenty of shitty roads and shortcuts I like to ride on.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2012 on: August 21, 2019, 11:08:30 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
I'm having a hell of a time deciding between keyframes and mini super juice.

I just keep bouncing back and forth - thoughts?
[close]

I love the mini super juice because they are wider and softer than other wheels like the keyframes and have held up relatively well for me (aside from the one crack, but at this point I think pretty much any super soft wheel is going to crack a little when they are that wide).

MSJ are super fast, roll over anything you could reasonably expect to roll over and aren’t suuuper bouncy like some of the non cored soft wheels I’ve tried.

I did have one set of keyframes I rode for like a week a couple years ago, but Zi honestly don’t remember much about them aside from them feeling harder than I would have expected.
[close]

This is very helpful, thanks!

My pleasure!

Yewwman

• Rep: 4
« Reply #2013 on: August 21, 2019, 11:15:28 AM »
Can anyone fully speak for oj elites? Skated a set for a bit. Can’t really remember much about them other than they felt slippery and grippy at the same time
Found some 56 mm 101a elite mini combos for a discount prize about a month ago.
-more grip than same size/duro conical fulls, really nice on new concrete parks, on ledges and street skating in general i prefer F4
-they cone out and wear down faster than F4, no flatspots for me yet though
-elites feel fast, idk is it really faster than f4 or does the narrower contact patch make it feel like that but i felt like flying through the park.
They feel like between Stf and f4 so i still prefer spitfires but ive been enjoying them. Plus the videos they put on youtube are the best lol
« Last Edit: August 21, 2019, 11:18:36 AM by Yewwman »

Nollie FS 180

• Rep: 1
« Reply #2014 on: August 21, 2019, 01:23:17 PM »
Expand Quote
Can anyone fully speak for oj elites? Skated a set for a bit. Can’t really remember much about them other than they felt slippery and grippy at the same time
[close]
Found some 56 mm 101a elite mini combos for a discount prize about a month ago.
-more grip than same size/duro conical fulls, really nice on new concrete parks, on ledges and street skating in general i prefer F4
-they cone out and wear down faster than F4, no flatspots for me yet though
-elites feel fast, idk is it really faster than f4 or does the narrower contact patch make it feel like that but i felt like flying through the park.
They feel like between Stf and f4 so i still prefer spitfires but ive been enjoying them. Plus the videos they put on youtube are the best lol
eh decided to just get a new set of conicals
“Fuck you Amy, I love you” ~ Rick Kane

Coolhats

« Reply #2015 on: August 21, 2019, 04:46:43 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just here to say I like my Dial Tones. Skating the round cut at the moment, but I'm keen to try some regular ones along with the conicals. Whoever said they're in between PFCs and F4s nailed it.
[close]
I had some, the only thing I hated was the treads. I had a hard time sliding with them.
[close]

Which shape and were they 99 or 101? I just ordered some 99 conicals, 99 round and 101 standard cuts. I don't know if I prefer 99 or 101 anymore and even though I like a more straight/square I feel like trying all their shapes. The Jahmal wheels I'm skating right now slide okay for 99s.
[close]
99, I tried my hardest to slide them but they just stuck. I eventually slipped out and chewed my hand up. I gave them away to a kid. They were the Ben gore conicals. Wanted something for slate parks and they didn’t feel very good any where.
[close]

Damn, they're the exact ones I bought (was considering the 101 conicals). They didn't even feel good on rough ground?
[close]
I don’t really remember how they felt on rough ground. They rolled over anything and rolled fine they just didn’t slide.

The set I had was pretty rough the first day. Stuck on some power slides and stuff but after the first session or two they broke in fine. I was nervous at first but ended up really liking them.

Nollie FS 180

« Reply #2016 on: August 21, 2019, 06:31:39 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Just here to say I like my Dial Tones. Skating the round cut at the moment, but I'm keen to try some regular ones along with the conicals. Whoever said they're in between PFCs and F4s nailed it.
[close]
I had some, the only thing I hated was the treads. I had a hard time sliding with them.
[close]

Which shape and were they 99 or 101? I just ordered some 99 conicals, 99 round and 101 standard cuts. I don't know if I prefer 99 or 101 anymore and even though I like a more straight/square I feel like trying all their shapes. The Jahmal wheels I'm skating right now slide okay for 99s.
[close]
99, I tried my hardest to slide them but they just stuck. I eventually slipped out and chewed my hand up. I gave them away to a kid. They were the Ben gore conicals. Wanted something for slate parks and they didn’t feel very good any where.
[close]

Damn, they're the exact ones I bought (was considering the 101 conicals). They didn't even feel good on rough ground?
[close]
I don’t really remember how they felt on rough ground. They rolled over anything and rolled fine they just didn’t slide.
[close]

The set I had was pretty rough the first day. Stuck on some power slides and stuff but after the first session or two they broke in fine. I was nervous at first but ended up really liking them.
damn I kinda regret it. I’ve always just skated spitfires because I’m from Santa Cruz and moved to SF when I was young and switched off between. So that whole area is what I call “Spitfire Country”. I’ll have to get some.

Sativa Lung

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 833
« Reply #2017 on: August 24, 2019, 04:06:04 AM »
I just got a pair of Orbs specter 56mm 99a. I've only skated them for about an hour so far so this is just first impressions really.

The Orbs have a nice wide contact patch but a more rounded, traditional shape which I like. The urethane seems to be really high quality and while I prefer flat surfaced wheels I haven't run into any issues with hanging up on powerslides like grooved wheels sometimes do when they aren't broken in. They feel really nice on rough stuff but aren't overly soft or bouncy. Speed is good, a little slow on the first few pushes but once you get going they hold it well and honestly the acceleration thing could be because I just cleaned and lubed my Swiss last night. I haven't really had a proper session or taken them to the park yet but just messing around with flat ground and a few banks on the way to work I had no issues and the size and shape makes me think they'd be really good in a bowl.

Overall I'm stoked on these things. Coming from almost exclusively skating spitfire (54mm F4 conical full and 55mm classic) for the last month I was expecting a let down but these have really impressed me. I think I'm going to get some more orbs in the future.

ThugWaffle

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: -140
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2018 on: August 24, 2019, 09:29:09 AM »
are sml wheels any good or should i stick to f4's?

Nollie FS 180

« Reply #2019 on: August 24, 2019, 10:37:32 AM »
been thinking the same thing.

nooky

• Rep: 9
« Reply #2020 on: August 24, 2019, 10:44:06 AM »
I love skating my 97A 61MM OJs. They're the team rider version or whatever. They're slick enough to slide and I can push down the street with the quickness without feeling like my nuts are going to fall off. They don't bounce like a soft wheel either. They've worn down to 58mm-ish at this point and steam-roll over everything. I don't skate ledges though, so you might have an issue there.
I started getting a lot better when I went back to college and started taking a lot of math classes when I was 31.

I figured out how to figure things out better, if that makes sense.

Sundaynuggets

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Rep: 124
« Reply #2021 on: August 24, 2019, 11:10:59 AM »
I love skating my 97A 61MM OJs. They're the team rider version or whatever. They're slick enough to slide and I can push down the street with the quickness without feeling like my nuts are going to fall off. They don't bounce like a soft wheel either. They've worn down to 58mm-ish at this point and steam-roll over everything. I don't skate ledges though, so you might have an issue there.

Nice, I have some of the 61mm Winkowski 97a wheels that I throw on my bigger set ups sometimes. For the limited ledge trucks I can do (grinds, crookeds, nose/tail slides) they work fine. I imagine for more technical ledge folks they might be a bit hard to maneuver around.

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2022 on: August 24, 2019, 12:46:27 PM »
OJ's 97a formula is a little weird to me. I don't know exactly how to describe it, but the bloodsuckers I got felt kind of hard and like plastic at first but then as I skated them more they became more rubbery but not necessarily softer if that makes any sense. I don't know if there's like a coating that wears off or what, I just remember when I took them out of the package I thought they felt like cheap wheels but after I skated them for a few days I really started to like them. I was riding them in an area with a lot of overhanging trees and even at 56mm I was just mashing over sticks and acorns and shit and it felt really cool 

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #2023 on: August 24, 2019, 01:08:08 PM »
Expand Quote
[close]
I had two sets of 99a SML wheels -- one V-Cut, another OG Wide. They felt too hard and slow, and didn't slide as well as F4s.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #2024 on: August 24, 2019, 04:39:44 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
I had two sets of 99a SML wheels -- one V-Cut, another OG Wide. They felt too hard and slow, and didn't slide as well as F4s.

Don't they have a higher end formula that competes with F4?
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

anon

• Rep: 54
« Reply #2025 on: August 24, 2019, 08:21:08 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

All I'm aware of is the "AG" formula.

mynameisnotjeff

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 586
« Reply #2026 on: August 24, 2019, 08:30:03 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
I think that's the one. I'm not sure who pushed them on here but, they said that they weren't so bad
Nothing I do deserves more than an iphone camera.

Nollie FS 180

« Reply #2027 on: August 24, 2019, 09:09:10 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
I think that's the one. I'm not sure who pushed them on here but, they said that they weren't so bad
I heard the AGs were just a price point wheel

Nollie FS 180

« Reply #2028 on: August 25, 2019, 07:15:31 AM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

They have two different formulas and the AG is definitely the one I prefer out of the two. They use both for all sorts of wheels (team and pro) so I doubt they're price point.

Sml could do with the support. Cliff says he makes no money from it. It's all my local shop has been stocking, so I will start skating them. I like the minimal graphic series they do.
one day I’ll give them a shot

ballintoohard

« Reply #2029 on: August 25, 2019, 02:50:03 PM »
I have the Aaron Herrington wide 53's. They're basically a conical full. Honestly I don't notice a huge difference when broken in. I would try any of the shapes again.

cliff

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 743
    • Sml. Wheels avatar image
  • SLAP OG SLAP OG : Been around since SLAP was a mag.
« Reply #2030 on: August 27, 2019, 01:06:01 PM »
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
Expand Quote
[close]
[close]
[close]

[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]

They have two different formulas and the AG is definitely the one I prefer out of the two. They use both for all sorts of wheels (team and pro) so I doubt they're price point.

Sml could do with the support. Cliff says he makes no money from it. It's all my local shop has been stocking, so I will start skating them. I like the minimal graphic series they do.

Thanks for the love!

We have 2 formulas the AG and the OG

AG - are more like spitfire classic. Less rebound so they do slide a bit easier. They can also flat spot easier than the OG's but we rarely get complaints about that. They're not price points. We get them from Creative who has been doing wheels forever.

OG's - These are a little more high end. Closer to a Bones STF or Spit F4's. They have a higher rebound so people think it's harder to power slide. I love these wheels! They slide just fine and are super hard to flat spot. We get them made at Aend. Who made the Darkstar wheels before they became a board brand. Super high quality.

Any feed back is welcome! Hopefully if you pick some up you will like them.

nectar

« Reply #2031 on: August 28, 2019, 12:51:36 AM »
yellow fat freeze had such a bad ass ride home i threw my keanus on.... just orderd sum shop brand 64 x40z @ 86a

BMCsteve

• Rep: 55
« Reply #2032 on: August 28, 2019, 09:10:18 AM »
yellow fat freeze had such a bad ass ride home i threw my keanus on.... just orderd sum shop brand 64 x40z @ 86a

[visible confusion]

Sativa Lung

• SLAP Pal
« Reply #2033 on: August 28, 2019, 09:34:32 AM »
Expand Quote
[close]

[visible confusion]

woodinbrine

• Rep: 13
  • ᛐᛅᚢᛐᛁᚾ ᛙᛁᚴ ᚠᚱᛁᛅ
« Reply #2034 on: August 28, 2019, 03:46:55 PM »
W2c 64mm keanus 😍

FrozenIndustries

« Reply #2035 on: August 29, 2019, 04:40:25 PM »
Expand Quote
has anyone skated these? could build a cruiser with a set of softer wheels, but i don't want to go too fluffy.

[close]

I had a set of the 92a ditch witches in 56mm. IMO they're not worth it...very slow, poor slide, and my 99 F4s honestly perform better on the same shitty spots.

Posted this a while ago and want to walk it back.

Gave these another try because the 60mm I bought felt a little too tall and they're the only thing I have that isn't worn to sub-50. They don't slide very well but they do slide, they weren't slow, and they felt really nice on the shitty pavement I usually skate. I'm kind of into them.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 05:21:50 PM by FrozenIndustries »

moonordie

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 30
  • ɹǝʌǝɹoɟ lloᴚ
  • Bronze Topic Start Bronze Topic Start : Start a topic with over 1,000 replies.
« Reply #2036 on: August 31, 2019, 09:15:59 PM »
Just got done radials slim 101 53mm
Was a lucky find since I wanted to support a friend who works at the shop at it was just the exact wheel I wanted to try
Expand Quote
forgive me if i somehow missed it, but could someone help me with just how flat the flat as fuck decks really are?
[close]

As Fuck.

Sk.A.T.A.N

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 712
  • aka Sk.A.N.Y.E.
« Reply #2037 on: September 01, 2019, 11:57:40 AM »
Opinions about Bones STF’s vs Easy streets? Anyone one tried both?

R.I.P RUSTY/FRIP

FROTHY

• SLAP Pal
  • Rep: 373
« Reply #2038 on: September 04, 2019, 08:05:38 AM »
80hd Chargers are bogus. Barely rode these. Anybody got a Spitfire contact for me?

BMCsteve

• Rep: 55
« Reply #2039 on: September 04, 2019, 09:09:39 AM »
Opinions about Bones STF’s vs Easy streets? Anyone one tried both?

STF's always felt too hard and slippery for me.  Easy Streets are just right.  Pretty similar to 99a F4's but a little more grip and a little less slide.

Below would be my ranking in order from hard/slippery to softer/grippier -

STF
101a F4
99a F4
Easy Streets